Any RPGs that arent so fantasy/magic focused?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JaegerDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JaegerDisco
Member since 2007 • 132 Posts
Im thinking something like.. NN2 without spells and mystical creatures n all that
XxSPAZxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 XxSPAZxX
Member since 2007 • 1213 Posts
huh? hell gate London but not out yet sorry mate i would love to have a game like that to ^.^
Smithgdwg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Smithgdwg
Member since 2003 • 1886 Posts
FALLOUT!!!!
Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dracunos
Member since 2004 • 1154 Posts

Arcanum is a fun (very old game that you may hate for that reason) game with a terrible combat system that has a fantastic story, and it's also magical and fantasy-ish, but it's very alternate reality to most RPGs, simply because there's also a choice you can make and be technological, which opposes magic (most of the time), and you can build swords, or explosives, or whatever you put your leveling up points into.. Guns.. Poisons.. It's pretty cool. It has the capabilities in it to be an amazingly incredible game, sadly it sucked.. (I still enjoyed it because of the story, though :p)

And also, Vampire Bloodlines is fantasy/magic based, but very, very different than most.. Deus Ex is RPG but has absolutely zero magic in it at all, but those last two are RPG/FPS hybrids. I'm sure there's some others, but realistically..

Developers need to get off their fat lazy butts and start making good games and stop following the same stupid RPG fantasy template just because it's 'safe' to follow it because you know by now that everyone likes magic spells and fireballs and what not, get some guts, and make some fricken good sci-fi games! There are some, but not nearly enough made in decent ways by any good developers with cash to put down on it. 

NocturnalDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NocturnalDemon
Member since 2007 • 558 Posts
Hellgate London is going to rock
CYSYKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 CYSYKO
Member since 2003 • 573 Posts
if you wanna go WAY old school, parasite eve is the way to go. its got a great story and the plotline is more science based then fantasy based. its more of a traditional RPG like final fantasy though.
mrcaboose20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mrcaboose20
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Im not sure about an online one but if you don't mind off line then here is what you will do.

go to www.taleworlds.com download the game (trial version) then buy it for i think 20 dollars.

knut-am

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 knut-am
Member since 2003 • 1442 Posts
if you can take it : Anarchy Online
therog2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 therog2
Member since 2003 • 465 Posts
Go for Vampire the Masqurade: Bloodlines!
Cool vampire RPG with the Source engine.
Cracker_Ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cracker_Ass
Member since 2004 • 744 Posts

pokemon!

no fantasy, no magic 

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts
The ONLY RPG that doesn't have ANY fantasy in it is Fallout
ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ikwal
Member since 2004 • 1600 Posts

I would really like to see a game that's kinda like Oblivion but modern time and no magic. Maybe in the middle of a civil war and you choose among different sides of the war and make "quests/missions" for them and level up to improve your aiming or sneaking or something. Maybe give you the chans to modify your weapons and stuff. Just a thought.

1carus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 1carus
Member since 2004 • 1454 Posts

Fallout

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines

Knights of the Old Republic

Deus Ex

^^Deus Ex and Vampire aren't completely RPG's, well, Vampire is, almost, but what the heck, they're both excellent games with enough RPG elements in them for you to like. Now go, buy these games. 

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

Fallout

Deus Ex

^^Deus Ex and Vampire aren't completely RPG's, well, Vampire is, almost, but what the heck, they're both excellent games with enough RPG elements in them for you to like. Now go, buy these games.

1carus

Are you kidding me ? Vampire ( The name says it has fantasy and the game also has magic ), SW KOTOR ( The entire Star Wars universe is fantasy and " the force " = magic ), Deus Ex ( Science Fiction = Fantasy ). Deus Ex might not be completely an RPG, but Vampire is completely an RPG

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Fallout.
Ken1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ken1a
Member since 2006 • 359 Posts
What about Freedom Force or Space Rangers 2. I haven't tried Freedom Force, but Space Rangers 2 was pretty good. Also, I don't know if it fits what your looking for, but you might want to check out System Shock
Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dracunos
Member since 2004 • 1154 Posts
[QUOTE="1carus"]

Fallout

Deus Ex

Darth_Kane

Are you kidding me ? Vampire ( The name says it has fantasy and the game also has magic ), SW KOTOR ( The entire Star Wars universe is fantasy and " the force " = magic ), Deus Ex ( Science Fiction = Fantasy ). Deus Ex might not be completely an RPG, but Vampire is completely an RPG

If you wanted to be literal, anything that is not non-fiction, and not fiction that reasonably could happen within normal life is in fantasy, including futuristic games, depending on your point of view. But the genre, at least in the sense of being bored of the same old 'fantasy crap' is normally considered the same past setting, with magic in terms of usually 'controlling the forces of nature', and often the mind and physical things in more simple ways.. fireballs, mind control.. divination.. As a genre for sake of organization.. And knowing what kind of movie/game/show you're going to watch before you watch it.. That's fantasy.. Vampires I'd consider more of an alternate reality, at least in bloodlines.. Although if they are in the past, and like.. in salem, I guess I'd consider them more fantasy.. As long as witches are there, too >-> But even that would be better than the same old fantasy crap. And Star Wars is so sci fi, despite the magical stuff, and the fact it takes place far in the past.. Star Wars is okay, but it'd be nice to have some other developers on it.. It's getting a bit old for me by now.

basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 basersx
Member since 2005 • 6222 Posts

Sci-fi is different than Fantasy because Sci-Fi is man made.  In other words the ships that fly through space are man-made or humanoid made.  The weapons that shot what ever are man made and its technology making it so not magic.

And alien races are not fantaset because it is conceivable that there are other inteigent races and we humans traveled to them in man made ships.  So again its not fantasy or magic.

For me that makes all the difference.  If a guy has a man made technological device that shoots fireballs.  That's ok with me.  But if you have some guy that shoots fireballs out of his hands, of and some magic stick that shoots fireballs that is lame.

There is a very tangible difference between sci-fi and fantasy.  Star Trek and Star Wars mixed the two.  Star Trek did it a lot less than SW but still had some with the Vulcan's and Betazoids.  Still there was an attempt to explain it in that those alien races "Naturally" had those abilities.  So they were not using "magic" per say.

therog2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 therog2
Member since 2003 • 465 Posts

Sci-Fi and Fantasy are the same basically the same thing. :P

Fantasy = imaginary past

Sci-Fi = imaginary future (Yeah I know! A big contradiction...)

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
Fallout.
superkoolstud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 superkoolstud
Member since 2004 • 2800 Posts
EVE Online
basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 basersx

Sci-Fi and Fantasy are the same basically the same thing. :P

Fantasy = imaginary past

Sci-Fi = imaginary future (Yeah I know! A big contradiction...)

therog2

Again you are wrong.

Sci-Fi = things we dont have now via technology.

Fantasy = things we dont have now via magic.

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts

pokemon!

no fantasy, no magic

Cracker_Ass
Are you lost.................HELLO. Your pokemon use magic in battle dude, where you been?
GunnyHath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GunnyHath
Member since 2007 • 743 Posts

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a half decent SCI-FI RPG, Fallout of course, SiN while a shooter had some RPG elements, ill add more if I think of them later.

"Sci-Fi = things we dont have now via technology."  - Not entirely true, the technology doesn't constitute the fiction, it's the application of (even pre-existing) technology.

basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 basersx

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a half decent SCI-FI RPG, Fallout of course, SiN while a shooter had some RPG elements, ill add more if I think of them later.

"Sci-Fi = things we dont have now via technology."  - Not entirely true, the technology doesn't constitute the fiction, it's the application of (even pre-existing) technology.

GunnyHath

STALKER is NOT Sci-Fi!  Its fantasy.  There is nothing futuristic about STALKER.  It's just pretending that the Chernobyl meltdown which really did happen created a bunch of mutants!  There is not one single sci-fi element in STLAKER.  All the guns, buildings, etc. etc. all really do exist today!

It's just our real world with a bunch of fantasy monsters so you clearly do not understand Sci-Fi at all.

jorgeluisbl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jorgeluisbl
Member since 2005 • 1479 Posts
Fallout.
basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 basersx

And before you reply that it is listed as a Sci-Fi game I know it is but there is no way STLAKER is Sci-Fi.  The term gets misused all the time.  Clearly whoever categorized STALKER as Sci-Fi does not understand what the term really means.

I will admit that is is a little bit of a grey area because they used the real Chernobyl melt down in the story but that does not make it sci-fi.  They basically used a nuclear reaction to link up a bunch of purely Fantasy elements to the story.  I guess we are supposed to believe mutant mostes spawning out of a nuclear meltdown is possible?  LOL no way.

That's the other thing about sci-fi, you have to at least in some way believe it could possible happen someday.  It is possible to believe in hundreds of years we will have space ships and travel to other worlds where we might meet other races.

But monsters spawning out of a nuclear accident is not believable at all. 

So that's another criteria for Sci-fi, it has to at least be conceivable that it could really exist in the future with advanced technology.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#28 Cerza
Member since 2005 • 1946 Posts
Fallout, Shattered Galaxy (if it's still around), EVE Online, Anarchy Online, Harbinger, KOTOR
petek480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 petek480
Member since 2003 • 248 Posts

And before you reply that it is listed as a Sci-Fi game I know it is but there is no way STLAKER is Sci-Fi. The term gets misused all the time. Clearly whoever categorized STALKER as Sci-Fi does not understand what the term really means.

I will admit that is is a little bit of a grey area because they used the real Chernobyl melt down in the story but that does not make it sci-fi. They basically used a nuclear reaction to link up a bunch of purely Fantasy elements to the story. I guess we are supposed to believe mutant mostes spawning out of a nuclear meltdown is possible? LOL no way.

That's the other thing about sci-fi, you have to at least in some way believe it could possible happen someday. It is possible to believe in hundreds of years we will have space ships and travel to other worlds where we might meet other races.

So that's another criteria for Sci-fi, it has to at least be conceivable that it could really exist in the future with advanced technology.

basersx

You should look up the definition of sci-fi. You'd be surprised at what you actually don't know by the meaning of sci-fi.

basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 basersx
[QUOTE="basersx"]

And before you reply that it is listed as a Sci-Fi game I know it is but there is no way STLAKER is Sci-Fi. The term gets misused all the time. Clearly whoever categorized STALKER as Sci-Fi does not understand what the term really means.

I will admit that is is a little bit of a grey area because they used the real Chernobyl melt down in the story but that does not make it sci-fi. They basically used a nuclear reaction to link up a bunch of purely Fantasy elements to the story. I guess we are supposed to believe mutant mostes spawning out of a nuclear meltdown is possible? LOL no way.

That's the other thing about sci-fi, you have to at least in some way believe it could possible happen someday. It is possible to believe in hundreds of years we will have space ships and travel to other worlds where we might meet other races.

petek480

You should look up the definition of sci-fi. You'd be surprised at what you actually don't know by the meaning of sci-fi.

I just did, go to wiki and read it yourself.

"

Science fiction (also, sf, SF, or sci-fi) is a broad genre of fiction that often involves speculations based on current science or technology. Science fiction is found in books, art, television, movies, games, theater, and other media.

Science-fiction books, magazines, film, TV, gaming and fandom material

In organizational or marketing contexts, science fiction can be synonymous with the broader definition of speculative fiction, encompassing creative works incorporating imaginative elements not found in contemporary reality; this includes fantasy, horror, and related genres.[1]"

you see sci-fi only includes fantasy elements for "marketing" purposes.  And is not part of sci-fi in its pure form!

basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 basersx

Sci-Fi in its pure form has to be believable.

For example if you wrote a story about the space shuttle, satellites, and cell phones in the 1800s that would be pure sci-fi.  None if it existed then but it would have been believable that it might exist someday.  And of course it does exist now.

That's why Asimov's Robot novels are pure science fiction.  There are no monsters and everything about them is conceivably possible in the future.

Jules Verne and HG Wells were pure sci-fi also.

Death_Khan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Death_Khan
Member since 2004 • 274 Posts

Gotta say, Mount&Blade is one of the most fun games I've played. Period. Think Oblivion in the 13th century with no magic or "fantasy" critters. Just you, your weapon, your horse, and whatever troops you can scape together. And trust me, this is no "go out alone and take out an army" kind of thing. If you're not careful, a single, well-placed arrow will put you out of the fight. Also, as opposed to Oblivion, you can actually attack from your mount. And, my friend, that is the most sastifying feeling, when you get your horse to full gallop and slam an enemy with the combined kinetic force focused on your blade.

taleworlds.com

kiba000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kiba000
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
How believable something is depends on the person. I'm sure there are plenty of people who believe mutants are possible.
nevereathim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 nevereathim
Member since 2006 • 2161 Posts

Gotta say, Mount&Blade is one of the most fun games I've played. Period. Think Oblivion in the 13th century with no magic or "fantasy" critters. Just you, your weapon, your horse, and whatever troops you can scape together. And trust me, this is no "go out alone and take out an army" kind of thing. If you're not careful, a single, well-placed arrow will put you out of the fight. Also, as opposed to Oblivion, you can actually attack from your mount. And, my friend, that is the most sastifying feeling, when you get your horse to full gallop and slam an enemy with the combined kinetic force focused on your blade.

taleworlds.com Death_Khan

Why the hell did you ressurect a dead thread? I doubt this guy is gonna see this but I'd say KOTOR

lost_wraith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lost_wraith
Member since 2005 • 13549 Posts
Let's put it to rest- start a new topic if you're so inclined, but this one from 7 months ago is dead.