Any PC RPGs with more talking and persuading than fighting?

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 xxninja666xx
Member since 2011 • 737 Posts

Honestly don't know how to search for it myself cause my request seems to be so niche that Google gives me nothing, so here's another one of my universally loved "recommend a game" threads. Hope you can help me out.

Recently, while replaying Fallout New Vegas, I found out that talking your way through quests and solving them peacefully can be incredibly fun, not to mention persuading people to get more/better rewards. Are there any other PC RPGs out there, aside from the most obvious one - Planescape Torment, where a diplomatic approach and intelligent, charismatic, speech-based characters are viable options? Games with complex dialogue system and large variety of dialogue options, where I can talk my way through most of the quests and only fight when absolutely necessary? Preferably morally grey (please warn me if your suggestion has a black & white morality), so I'd have to think twice before choosing any option.

Thank you in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

damn - I was going to suggest Planescape ;-)

I look forward to others' answers as well

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

The first RPGs that crossed my mind are Fallout 1 and Fallout 2.

Especially Fallout 2 which is one of my favorite old RPGs, I can guarantee that you can finish the game without drawing your weapon at all...

If you haven't played them, give them a shot.

Also I believe that you might find games like Baldur's gate (1 and 2) that have complex dialogue and a large variety of dialogue options.

I would say Icewind dale too, but I remember it having a lot of combat :P.

Loading Video...

Sorry for the video, I couldn't resist :P.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@xxninja666xx: Yeah, the original Fallout games are the best suggestions. There are other, newer games with similarly complex dialog trees but few where you can avoid combat altogether. I'm also assuming that you are excluding stealth games where you can avoid combat by sneaking by everyone or knocking them out.

-Byshop

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xxninja666xx

@Chatch09 said:

lol, too bad Shenmue never came to PC, that would probably be EXACTLY what you're looking for.

I thought to myself "well, a Dreamcast is cheap as hell now, so I guess I can just buy it", but then I looked at the price of Shenmue and instantly scratched that idea off my mind. Why the **** is it so expensive?! Are people out of their minds?!

@Chatch09 said:
You can talk your way out of some situations in Witcher but it does have a lot of fighting.

I don't mind some combat, but mostly I want to play as a "diplomat" type character, not a mercenary monster hunter.

@Coseniath said:

The first RPGs that crossed my mind are Fallout 1 and Fallout 2.

Especially Fallout 2 which is one of my favorite old RPGs, I can guarantee that you can finish the game without drawing your weapon at all...

If you haven't played them, give them a shot.

I never really found myself playing older Fallouts for long because of how hard the combat was, but I guess it's as good of a reason as any to give them another whirl. Maybe I'll just simply pussy out and set everything to easy to spare myself any trouble.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xxninja666xx

@Byshop said:

@xxninja666xx: There are other, newer games with similarly complex dialog trees but few where you can avoid combat altogether.

As I said, I don't mind combat, but I don't want to be forced to fight every time an opportunity arises, but rather be able to solve the problem by conversation in most cases.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Coseniath
@xxninja666xx said:

@Byshop said:

@xxninja666xx: There are other, newer games with similarly complex dialog trees but few where you can avoid combat altogether.

As I said, I don't mind combat, but I don't want to be forced to fight every time an opportunity arises, but rather be able to solve the problem by conversation in many a number of the cases.

I think KOTOR 1 and 2 are good options then.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@Coseniath said:
@xxninja666xx said:

@Byshop said:

As I said, I don't mind combat, but I don't want to be forced to fight every time an opportunity arises, but rather be able to solve the problem by conversation in many a number of the cases.

I think KOTOR 1 and 2 are good options then.

There there are lots. Basically every Bioware RPG. Wasteland 2 also qualifies, where you have multiple "soft skill" stats you can use to talk your way into/out of a situation. Although it's more combat heavy, the same can be said of the Mass Effect series. Vampire Bloodlines was an FPS RPG that had complex dialog options and skills. Also, Alpha Protocol had a complex influence system where making people happy/mad could both have equal benefit.

-Byshop

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Coseniath
@Byshop said:

Basically every Bioware RPG.

+1.

I think this should be the best answer.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

@Coseniath said:
@Byshop said:

+1.

I'm confused....

Bioware games are littered with baked in trash mobs and combat. Maybe I am missing something but I never really found it possible, like it is in New Vegas (somewhat) or Fallout 1 and 2 (both of which can be completed without ever killing a thing) to completely talk your way out of combat in games like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, KotOR, etc. In fact, I've never really found dialogue to have much of an impact in most of Bioware's games. You basically get the good, smart-ass, and Rambo dialogue choices, which ultimately are fairly meaningless in terms of the choices and options open or closed to the player.

Supposedly, it will be possible to complete the new Torment without fighting.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xxninja666xx

@-wildflower- said:

@Coseniath said:
@Byshop said:

+1.

I'm confused....

Bioware games are littered with baked in trash mobs and combat. Maybe I am missing something but I never really found it possible, like it is in New Vegas (somewhat) or Fallout 1 and 2 (both of which can be completed without ever killing a thing) to completely talk your way out of combat in games like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, KotOR, etc. In fact, I've never really found dialogue to have much of an impact in most of Bioware's games. You basically get the good, smart-ass, and Rambo dialogue choices, which ultimately are fairly meaningless in terms of the choices and options open or closed to the player.

Pretty much what I wanted to say. Never have I experienced a situation where I could avoid a fight through careful dialogue choices while playing Dragon Age and Mass Effect. The most influence I had was convincing NPCs to have sex with my character.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Coseniath
@xxninja666xx said:

Pretty much what I wanted to say. Never have I experienced a situation where I could avoid a fight through careful dialogue choices while playing Dragon Age and Mass Effect. The most influence I had was convincing NPCs to have sex with my character.

Well I was mostly refer to old ones like KOTOR and Neverwinter Nights games where you can find fights that you can avoid with careful dialogues...

I also remember in KOTOR 2 you could finish the game without taking any side (this is for "Preferably morally grey").

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@xxninja666xx said:

@-wildflower- said:

@Coseniath said:
@Byshop said:

+1.

I'm confused....

Not EVERY BioWare games but some (like Jade Empire and KOTOR), if you put points into your character's dialogue options etc, then you could pass enemies without fighting.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Byshop  Moderator

@-wildflower-: Mass Effect's trees got fairly complicated. True, there is a lot of forced combat which is why I didn't mention them in my first post. You're right, though. The ability to talk your way out of a fight is less pronounced in the DA games. Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, etc were all pretty detailed. KOTOR was one of the better examples of this.

-Byshop

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts
@Byshop said:

The ability to talk your way out of a fight is less pronounced in the DA games. Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, etc were all pretty detailed.

Much as I love the old IE games, your diplomatic ability in the Baldur's Gates, Icewind Dales, and at least official NWN1 modules aside from Hordes of the Underdark were limited at best. Sure, there were a few fights you could avoid in dialogue, but they were very much the exception, not the rule. The Icewind Dales in particular are all about combat. However, there are plenty of user made modules for both Neverwinter Nights games that would fit the bill, and the aforementioned HOTU and Mask of the Betrayer feature more diplomacy than their parent games.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Byshop  Moderator

@Postosuchus said:
@Byshop said:

The ability to talk your way out of a fight is less pronounced in the DA games. Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, etc were all pretty detailed.

Much as I love the old IE games, your diplomatic ability in the Baldur's Gates, Icewind Dales, and at least official NWN1 modules aside from Hordes of the Underdark were limited at best. Sure, there were a few fights you could avoid in dialogue, but they were very much the exception, not the rule. The Icewind Dales in particular are all about combat. However, there are plenty of user made modules for both Neverwinter Nights games that would fit the bill, and the aforementioned HOTU and Mask of the Betrayer feature more diplomacy than their parent games.

Yeah, they were nothing near the old school Black Isle games like Fallout. I guess you guys are right. I rescind my previous comment. Stick with Black Isle games and more detailed RPGs like KOTOR.

-Byshop

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#18 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

@xxninja666xx said:

@Chatch09 said:

lol, too bad Shenmue never came to PC, that would probably be EXACTLY what you're looking for.

I thought to myself "well, a Dreamcast is cheap as hell now, so I guess I can just buy it", but then I looked at the price of Shenmue and instantly scratched that idea off my mind. Why the **** is it so expensive?! Are people out of their minds?!

Shenmue on Amazon US for Dreamcast is only 25$ friend. Not expensive at all. You got me excited there for a moment, as I have a copy of Shenmue and thought I could make a couple hundred. How dare you!

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

@Byshop:

Did the KOTORs actually have much avoidable combat? I remember 2 had much better use of skills in dialogue but both had a buttload combat.

Anyways, I forgot to give an honorable mention to a particular moment in the Neverwinter Nights 2 OC. Although the overall it had a depressing amount of tedious filler combat midway through there is a trial that features the most impressive and satisfying use of dialogue skills I've ever seen in a D&D based video game. It seriously almost redeemed the entire (mediocre) campaign, but of course they had to ruin it by making the outcomes basically the same.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts

Age of Decadence gets my vote.

I think my Merchant character got through the first 2/3rds of the game without entering a single battle.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xxninja666xx

@krazyorange said:

Shenmue on Amazon US for Dreamcast is only 25$ friend. Not expensive at all. You got me excited there for a moment, as I have a copy of Shenmue and thought I could make a couple hundred. How dare you!

And why exactly do you assume I live in the US?

@Planeforger said:

Age of Decadence gets my vote.

I think my Merchant character got through the first 2/3rds of the game without entering a single battle.

Interesting. Is it enjoyable regardless of being in Early Access?

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#22 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

@xxninja666xx said:

@krazyorange said:

And why exactly do you assume I live in the US?

Well GS is an American website, so it was a safe assumption to make. How expensive is it where you are?

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xxninja666xx

@krazyorange said:

Well GS is an American website, so it was a safe assumption to make. How expensive is it where you are?

Around 1/5 of an average monthly salary.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts

@xxninja666xx: Oh definitely. Age of Decadence is pretty much all about the replayability, so you don't particularly mind that the final chapter isn't complete yet - you could easily play through the first two acts 10 times and have wildly different experiences.

The game itself is essentially a more tightly-scripted, Roman-themed version of Fallout 1-2, with a harsher combat system (you're only human, so you will *die*) and really drastic story changes depending on your role and choices.

If you like Fallout 1 and 2, and want something with the same combat and arguably more roleplaying options (with admittedly less freedom and exploration), it's worth a shot. Then again, it might get a full release over the next few months, so if you're not desperate for something to play...

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Alpha Protocol had an interesting conversation system

and i believe it's on sale for a few bucks on GMG right now

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#26 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Any games by Obsidian and Black Isle

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

I am playing Divinity The Original Sin and there appears to be a good deal of talking and some action can be resolved by playing Rock, Paper, Scissors.