Any one still buy games they hate as they feel left out lol?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GAJY_FILTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 GAJY_FILTH
Member since 2003 • 112 Posts

I played BF4 in beta, thought it was basically the same thing as BF3 and still had shit maps. It just bored me and I realised that yeah I'm done with Battlefield, it's just like COD to me now. However I ended up buying it because there is so much hype and everyone is going on about it like it's so much better than BF3 and the best FPS they ever played. So I get into the game and yeah I still don't like it and it still feels like the same shit as BF3, only it doesn't have any good maps because at least BF3 had Karkand..

Now I've uninstalled it and wasted my money but I find myself buying lots of hyped up games when they release because the buzz around them makes me feel left out as all my friends talk about it. The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite are recent ones I bought even though I knew I wouldn't like them, and I didn't lol...

Why brain why???

INF1DEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 INF1DEL
Member since 2006 • 2083 Posts

You have to learn to ignore the hype. I've been disappointed by many games because I was so hyped about them. Even great games end up being just 'what I expected'. If you get to try before you buy and you don't like it there's really nothing more to it than that. Some people just don't like some games. There's nothing wrong with that.

MylesB93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MylesB93
Member since 2010 • 132 Posts

I do this too, I can't help it lol. I have no interest in BF4 but I've pre-ordered it with my PS4 just because of the hype. Did the same thing with GTA5, forced myself to play it just because everyone else was talking about it...

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#4 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Nope, I buy what I think will be good and happily ignore the rest.

GAJY_FILTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By GAJY_FILTH
Member since 2003 • 112 Posts

@MylesB93 said:

I do this too, I can't help it lol. I have no interest in BF4 but I've pre-ordered it with my PS4 just because of the hype. Did the same thing with GTA5, forced myself to play it just because everyone else was talking about it...

Yeh GTA games I always get and are disappointed, loved the first 3, the rest of them have been shit.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

If I have no interest in a game, I don't buy it. I couldn't care less about being "left out". I don't care to fit in.

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RevanBITW
Member since 2013 • 739 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

If I have no interest in a game, I don't buy it. I couldn't care less about being "left out". I don't care to fit in.

Damn, we got a badass over here.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Same here.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

If I dont like a game I wont buy it. Sometimes I dont even buy games I want to buy because I cant get over the flaws in modern games. Seem to care more about graphics than fun. Well graphics doesnt equal fun.

Seems like the OP was a victim of marketing.. So sad

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I don't let other people's opinions on a game be my deciding factor

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RevanBITW
Member since 2013 • 739 Posts

@wis3boi said:

What? That's like saying you're not going to read reviews of a game you may be interested to buy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

No. Why would i buy a game i didn't like?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@RevanBITW said:

@wis3boi said:

What? That's like saying you're not going to read reviews of a game you may be interested to buy.

Except it's not. There's clearly an obvious difference between making an informed decision and having other people make a decision for you..

Example: Petit gives a game 6/10 because she thinks it's a game that stereotypes women. I could read her review on various aspects of the game to learn more about the game to see if it's to my taste, but I wouldn't avoid it purely because a feminist think it's a poor game. On the flipside - Petit gave Coming Home a 9.5 because it features a lesbian love story and romanticizes her womanly ideals, but reading the review led me to believe the game is undeserving of its score - once again putting me in the position of not letting a reviewer's opinion be my deciding factor.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I bought Dark Souls because people said it was good. Tried hard to figure out what was so great abuot it but ended up hating it even more.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@pelvist said:

I bought Dark Souls because people said it was good. Tried hard to figure out what was so great abuot it but ended up hating it even more.

It's great for the same reasons that Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was great. You never played Symphony of the Night?

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

I have been getting some peer pressure lately to get GTA 5 and play online, but I never give in to either peer pressure or the hype. I am the kind of person who buys games for the games, not for the community playing them. I buy a lot of older games lately, and games on sale that I can't pass up. Giving in to the hype is a big waste of money and time.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

No. I don't waste my money on games I have no interest in playing.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

lol, no.. I've done it in the past, but I'm not going to buy a game that I don't like...

danxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By danxxx
Member since 2005 • 687 Posts

i was tempted to do the same thing with bf4 thank god i didnt.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#22 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

I've bought games I thought I might not like just because of the vast majority liking it (Bioshock Infinite) thinking if that many like it maybe it is me.....but I don't do it to "fit in". I ended up being right, the game is an overrated piece of crap. Duped again.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

No. How can I feel left out when nobody I know plays bad games? Maybe you need new friends.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I keep buying humble bundles when i only want like one game of the lot, just because they're good deals.

This is one of the reasons why i have over 30 unplayed games in my steam library.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

This happened to me with Bioshock Infinite, i had a strong feeling i'd hate the game but I got it anyways... and I my instincts were right, I hated the game. Same happened with many other games, Deus Ex 3, GTA 4.

I'm gonna try GTA 5 when it hits PC, but I'm not holding my breath.... i won't be surprised if it fails me badly.

gt350tsc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gt350tsc
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts

@RevanBITW said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Damn, we got a badass over here.

off topic but am I the only one that thought of borderlands 2? about the replay lol.

Zoso813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zoso813
Member since 2013 • 310 Posts

No. I'll do this occasionally with free games like Dota 2. Could never get that into it tho.

alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts

I kind of did that with bo2 and i tossed it away the following month and people seemed to do the same not much later.

It happens a lot with these multiplayer games that turned into year-release titles, like bf4, being identical to its predecesor, but if you don't get it people move to the "new" one

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Pc games are al trial an error for me..If I buy a game like aliens an preditors it was cause I respected guys like borderlands devs did I find out the hard way rofl..That's just one mistake though..Ive got a lot of friends who will tell me if a game is good or bad though..Batman to me is good love the series..Gta five was a blast..Cant wait for you guys to try it out on the pc..Games that shocked me this year are xcom, farcry 3 last year, im looking forward to might an magic x..There many good games do out soon like wasteland 2, pe, path of exile is awesome..Its going to be a great year for innovative games..Kickstarter also is awesome for us..Bring the games back to the people screw the publishers..