Any good new Survival Horror games on PC (other than Dead Space 3)?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Baurus_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Baurus_1
Member since 2007 • 804 Posts

Anyone know?

Thanks.

couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts
Dead Space 1, or if you really want to be freaked out, Amnesia.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Amnesia is king, but if you think Dead Space is horror them maybe it's too much for you :P Amnesia and the Penumbra games are the go to horror games on PC. They're the best around.

System Shock 2 recently came out on GOG.com and it can be pretty scary and suspenseful at times. 

Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth is a great horror game too but kinda dated. 

The F.E.A.R games are great, well 1 and 2 are. Especially the first, fvcking fantastic game.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R games can be scary as hell when you go underground or at night. 

Another oldie is Cryostasis the sleep of reason, excellent under appreciated game

EDIT: Just realised you said "New". Can't really help you there. There are some good ones coming like the new Amnesia and Among the Sleep. You could try the Slender mod and Slender the arrival beta is like $5. But some people hate those and think they're overrated

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 SystemsGO
Member since 2011 • 1285 Posts

Amnesia is king, but if you think Dead Space is horror them maybe it's too much for you :P Amnesia and the Penumbra games are the go to horror games on PC. They're the best around.

System Shock 2 recently came out on GOG.com and it can be pretty scary and suspenseful at times. 

Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth is a great horror game too but kinda dated. 

The F.E.A.R games are great, well 1 and 2 are. Especially the first, fvcking fantastic game.

Another oldie is Cryostasis the sleep of reason, excellent under appreciated game

EDIT: Just realised you said "New". Can't really help you there. There are some good ones coming like the new Amnesia and Among the Sleep. You could try the Slender mod and Slender the arrival beta is like $5. But some people hate those and think they're overrated

seanmcloughlin

I believe Sean pretty much got you covered. I'll go ahead and +1 the STALKER games, as well as Cryostasis, I had lots of fun with Cryostasis personally. 

P.S., Sean, are you Irish? I've been watching your Crysis videos, was curious. Also, you have the GPU that I want to get(unless the 700 series of cards surprise us in a month or two), how do you like it? Any issues? Also, do you think it really performs better than 680 as intended? :P 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

SystemsGO

I believe Sean pretty much got you covered. I'll go ahead and +1 the STALKER games, as well as Cryostasis, I had lots of fun with Cryostasis personally. 

P.S., Sean, are you Irish? I've been watching your Crysis videos, was curious. Also, you have the GPU that I want to get(unless the 700 series of cards surprise us in a month or two), how do you like it? Any issues? Also, do you think it really performs better than 680 as intended? :P 

Yeah I am Irish :P Thanks for watching the videos :)

The 670 is amazing. Huge boost for me and never had it struggle in any game yet. It's a powerhouse and definitely performas close to a 680, the difference isn't worth the extra money for a 680 I think. 

GeForce-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GeForce-
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

Amnesia is a real horror franchise that every developer should take note before making horror games.

There's also a new Amnesia coming. Can't wait.

Dead Space 3 is a piece of casual trash, not scary at all.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

IGN created a nice list of upcoming horror games.

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

Dead Space 3 isn't Survival Horror, it's a shooter with horror elements

The only game I've ever found scary is Amnesia

Call of Cthulhu is somewhat scary, but that isn't "new"

LazySloth718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LazySloth718
Member since 2011 • 2345 Posts

Alan Wake

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
There are a bunch of indie horror games. Check Desura and Steam Greenlight, there's bound to be something worth playing between the million slender remakes.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Amnesia, it's only $2.99 on Amazon.com and it's even cheaper when you apply code CAGROCKS.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Amnesia is a real horror franchise that every developer should take note before making horror games.

GeForce-
Dead Space series is no longer in the survival-horror category. Dead Space 1 might have been considered that. It's no longer fair to bash Dead Space for not being a survival-horror. We all know now that it's an action-shooter, with horror elements.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="GeForce-"]

Elann2008

Dead Space series is no longer in the survival-horror category. Dead Space 1 might have been considered that. It's no longer fair to bash Dead Space for not being a survival-horror. We all know now that it's an action-shooter, with horror elements.

Yep and even at that DS1 wasn't scary as such. It was just tense. Although that is horror as well. but DS2 and DS3 are TPS games with a horror type of atmosphere

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#15 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Amnesia, Alan Wake, Stalker Games, Cryostasis, I Am Alive, Penumbra games,
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#16 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
All the Thief games are masters of survival horror.
JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
Plenty of great older games, not so much with the newer releases, but then you probably already knew that being the TC and all.
simple-thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 simple-thomas
Member since 2013 • 36 Posts
I recommend to you FEAR 1 and 2 and Amnesia. Those were the only games that scared me while playing with a high volume sound and that were actually fun to play. Didn't like Cryostasis that much.
G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

Excellent suggestions so far. I would only like to add Lone Survivor to the list.

Avatar image for WolfgarTheQuiet
WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By WolfgarTheQuiet
Member since 2010 • 483 Posts

Resident Evil 1-3

Silent Hill 1-2

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

Resident Evil 4 HD on steam.

EDIT: NVM I guess you can pre purchase now but it's coming out only in a month.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

@LazySloth718 said:

Alan Wake

Alan wake is so broken. I wanted to much to like the game, but everything just feels so contrived, there are no diversity in enemies- every time you walk every couple minutes there is an annoying cutscene that shows enemies coming up to you. There is no 'survival' element, the game takes away your gear because the story dictates it. It feels like an interactive movie with some bare minimum gameplay (while the gameplay is fun, it gets very old very fast). I really tried to like Alan Wake because the premise, setting, art and atmosphere are all top notch, but it misses the mark big time.