Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Steam Store Page

What is Angels Fall First?

It's an FPS/space game of a similar design to Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142. It's 32vs32 (64 players or 64 bots!) where one player takes the commander role and the other players create or join squads that the commander gives orders too.

The actual gameplay is a military sci-fi FPS with combined arms and space flight. There is class based infantry combat, vehicles, and aircraft that fight with each other and entire space battles with fighters and capital ships. Unlike Battlefield, AFF's game mode is more like Onslaught from Unreal Torunament 2004 where the map is broken up into individual sections with one faction attacking and the other defending. Each section has its own unique gameplay.

The example they give in the video (below) is in the first stage both teams start off in big capital class space ships and fighters and one team launches their attack to weaken defenses and land landing craft. If the team is successful in doing that the second stage beings and infantry spawn from the landing craft inside of the defenders station. Outside of the station replacement landing craft need to be protected by some fighters. In the 3rd stage, as the attackers get further into the station, a bigger Capital ship comes to enter the fray. So there is no Titan mode from Battlefield 2142, but a lot of the same principles of Titan mode are there. You are mixing combined arms fighting with having to land on a ship and fight inside of the ship just like in a Titan.

What's even better is that the game has full bot support in each match. Every slot not taken by a player is taken by an AI controlled NPC. You can also play single player with the bots or co-op with your friends and bots in private matches. The game uses a standard server browser and dedicated servers like you would expect. The full bot support really gives this game some more legs as these indie mutliplayer-focused titles usually die pretty quickly.

The game is a mix of Battlefield and a space sim. Lots of time you will be flying a space craft dogfighting opponents. The other time will be spent in an FPS mode where you're fighting inside of ships, stations, and on the surface of planets. It's a really robust game with a lot of mechanics coming together to form.

Gameplay Overview

The game launched today in Steam Early Access for $13.49 USD and will go up to $17.99 on October 8th. The price will go up again when the game is out of Steam Early Access.

Now before you roll your eyes at Early Access know that this game has a long history of development. It started out as a mod for Homeworld 2. It was then made a mod for Unreal Torunament 2k4 and then rebuilt on the Unreal 3 engine. The retail release is the Unreal 3 engine version of the mod fleshed out and completed for the release. The game is still a bit rough around the edges but it's not broken and unplayable at all. It has been played in one form or another over the past 7 years.

Steam Store Page Link

Screenshots

In these screens you can see the combined arm mix. The space game meets Battlefield 2142.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

I remember the HW2 mod for this.... and considering the low price is, I might give this a go. Looks neat, but maybe a jack of all trades master of none game.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#3 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

seems promising, but i'll let it stew in Early Access for a while and see what people think of it

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I want more games like this.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Holy carp. That looks cool.

I loved BF 2142 back in the day. This looks like a cross between that and classic Battlefront.

-Byshop

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Now I just wanna go reinstall 2142 with the singleplayer mods

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Will be keeping an eye on it. I hope all its aspects work together and it gains a loyal fan base.

Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts

Anyone play it?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@jimmy_russell said:

I keep reading bad things about poor game performance, stuttering graphics, laggy servers.

You'll read the same thing about the majority of unfinished games. Particularly ones that just launched in early access. They'll likely use player suggestions to assign priority to which issues need to be fixed sooner than later for a decent early access experience.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58478 Posts

Yeah loaded up Steam today and noticed this right away.

Looks good, like Planetside, but with space battles!

As others have said, however, might be a bit too ambitious, might be writing checks their asses can't cash, know what I mean?

Still, I hope it succeeds. Sounds like a hobby-turned-real-project they've put 7+ years into after their day jobs. Dedication and work like that deserves support [if the game is good].

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

Titanfall just hit 10 million units sold today so that's something.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58478 Posts

@saintsatan said:

Titanfall just hit 10 million units sold today so that's something.

That was yesterday! OLD NEWS!

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:
@jimmy_russell said:

I keep reading bad things about poor game performance, stuttering graphics, laggy servers.

You'll read the same thing about the majority of unfinished games. Particularly ones that just launched in early access. They'll likely use player suggestions to assign priority to which issues need to be fixed sooner than later for a decent early access experience.

Yep. People who buy early access games and complain about performance issues or lack of content are missing the point.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34741 Posts

Dude. I've wanted a new 2142 ever since I stopped playing it. Can't believe Dice never made one, so I'm glad someone is. Totally keeping my eyes on this shit.