Am I Spending Too Much on the Steam Sale?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CBN16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CBN16
Member since 2012 • 407 Posts

I have spent about $100 on the Steam sale. I am starting to hold back on getting games now, but I do plan on getting some indie/older games that are less that $5 toward the end of the sale.

I am just wondering if I am spending too much. I remember a few years ago (when I was new to Steam), I spent over $200, so this isn't my worst.

Is this a bad thing? I am starting to regret passing on Rising Storm and The Secret World to save money.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Shame on you for passing on Rising Storm. Ive spent about $80 so far. Gotten pretty much everything that I had wanted from the sales.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#3 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
If you can afford it then go for it. I've spent $50 so far.. I could have spent a lot more but I've been holding back since I have a massive backlog already. Keep debating on Borderlands 2, season pass and extra characters.. it'll be about $30 total. Such a great deal.
James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

That depends on if you have the extra money and if you think you will actually play most of the games. If you are missing bills to buy games on sale, you are probably going too far. As for buying games you may not play, the way I see it is that money could be put to better use like donating to charities or giving to friends in need. I limit myself to buying games I will definitely play within the next year. Games I will not play for longer than that, I will just wait until the next year's big sales. There's no need to rush because there are big sales every year and the base prices also go down with time.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#5 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
no, only if you spend $453 or more
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Yes, you should probably stop now. You probably have a large backlog of games to play now.  The Secret World and Rising Storm will go on sale again at a cheaper price in the future.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Probably. Unless you game like crazy you're not gonna work your way through all of those before the next summer sale.

I haven't even spent $20 yet.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#8 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

If you're actually going to play them, no you haven't.  If you aren't going to play them and the games sit in your library, yeah, you spent too much.

I've spent a bit myself, around $60  Thing is, I spent $30 on gifts for three different people, gifting Gunpoint, Eurotruck Simulator 2 and Civ 5 Gold.  There's really no better time to gift people a game than a Steam sale, y'know.

As for myself, I bought BL2 Season Pass, Knife of Dunwall, Gunpoint and Portal 2.  So, nothing really excessive on my end.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

As long as you can afford it and don't start to have to pass on food or other neccessary things for life, where's the problem? ^^

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Nothing wrong with getting great deals on games, it's called being a smart shopper.  I'm probably up to $95, dunno I lost track lol.  But I've got enough stuff to last me until Christmas if not longer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts
I've spent about $60 so far. I only buy games I know that I will play and that will last me for quite a few months. If that $80 of yours is spent on games you know you will enjoy, then no - I don't think you've spent too much.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
keep going.
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Not if your going to actually play the games you bought. I have games from many sales ago I haven't even installed yet. Already spent about 30-40 bucks this time. Been much more frugal and picky now since I used to just buy everything I was remotely interested in.

stayinthelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 stayinthelight
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I've spent about $60 so far. I only buy games I know that I will play and that will last me for quite a few months. If that $80 of yours is spent on games you know you will enjoy, then no - I don't think you've spent too much.PonchoTaco
i feel the same way
Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

No, you're not spending too much.  Charlie Sheen was banging 7 gram rocks for cryin' out loud.

Alienware_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Alienware_fan
Member since 2010 • 1514 Posts

Shame on you for passing on Rising Storm. Ive spent about $80 so far. Gotten pretty much everything that I had wanted from the sales. Iantheone
funniest sig on gamespot, love it!

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
So far, this is the first Steam Sale where I have spent $0. A combination of, "Already picked it up during the last Steam Sale", "Realizing I don't need a game just because it's 75% off" & "Don't need games I won't put the time into". That and..Shadowrun Returns is out next week and I'm hoping it's as great as the SNES version from my younger years.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts

In some cases, I wish I had waited.  I bought Dishonored when it was half off months ago, have played literally 30 mins to date of the thing.  Could have saved myself quite a bit of green holding out and playing other stuff.

Start playing your games and once you've beaten them all, another Steam sale will be right around the corner.

alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts

I spent 0 bucks this far, and i feel good. I already got the good games on past sales and the ones i wanted will go cheaper next time.

Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts

Nothing wrong with that, I've spent $110.60 on 17 games thus far, way less then the last few sales, guess I've finally got all the games I want (and will never play)

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

This years the biggest Steam sale i've spend. ever. just over 400. but i've both saved up some money and can easily afford it too. not a dent in my budget. plus i saved up a bit to play on my gaming rig. 

s-e-e-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 s-e-e-k
Member since 2009 • 252 Posts
No, Don't think that's too much money.. I've spent $26.45 and I'm done.
alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts

This years the biggest Steam sale i've spend. ever. just over 400. but i've both saved up some money and can easily afford it too. not a dent in my budget. plus i saved up a bit to play on my gaming rig. 

SaudiFury
400?! did i read properly? :O You're either rich or in serious need of a therapist :P
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"]

alan_carter

400?! did i read properly? :O You're either rich or in serious need of a therapist :P

mmm would not say rich. but i make plenty of dough. but the work i do requires me to travel a lot (hence why i'm almost never on this forum anymore). and work in the Saudi desert. I am looking for the best gaming laptop i can find at the moment. it's gotta be a laptop because - again - the nature of my job.

I budget my money pretty well i think, and this month after 4 months of working i managed to pay 25% of my student loans off. That is my single largest payment i make each and every month.

but yes, you did read that properly.

Also got no wife, no girlfriend, no kids, no extra expenses. If i was student-loan free, i'd be making hand over first in money. but alas i do, and in about 1 year time i will be completely 100% debt free. 

I just got incredibly lucky i feel with the position i'm starting at. because i was freakin' lost with no job for like 10 months in the US. when i left for Saudi, in just under 2 weeks i got a good job, for pay that i fell out of my chair over... 

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

I have spent about $100 on the Steam sale. I am starting to hold back on getting games now, but I do plan on getting some indie/older games that are less that $5 toward the end of the sale.

I am just wondering if I am spending too much. I remember a few years ago (when I was new to Steam), I spent over $200, so this isn't my worst.

Is this a bad thing? I am starting to regret passing on Rising Storm and The Secret World to save money.

CBN16
Hard to say really, if you end up not having money for games that you really wanted then yes.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
has long has you play them
Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

You know, having a million games to play kind of ruins it for me. I bought zero. I think I'm done. These games have no real value to me. They just sit on my account. Occasionally, I play one that I really do like, but for the most part, I bought most of them just because I thought it would be fun to me or because it has good reviews. These digital BS pretty much ruined PC gaming for me. Call me crazy/weird.

yashu_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 yashu_
Member since 2012 • 27 Posts

CBN16

The Secret World?  Really?  I mean there are a lot of better MMOs out there.  If you've already run through WoW, Gw2, Rift, and SWTOR, then you can start regretting not getting it, otherwise almost any dollar is better spent  on another game.  

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
As long as you intend to play the games and the money you're spending doesnt impede your life then I dont think it matters how much you spend on games. I think its a bit silly to buy games though that you know you'll never have the time to play beforehand.
stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

CBN16
The best way to approach the steam sales is to ask yourself one question before you purchase a game. That question is, "Will I finish this game before the next steam sale?" If the answer is no, then you should not buy it. So, just apply that thinking to your purchases.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
I spent $200 on Dota 2 items during the Steam sale. Oh and I bought a Left for Dead 2, but it wasn't on sale or anything. The Steam sales had so much garbage I didn't even bother voting on any of them.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

While very tempted, these two pretty much sums it up for me.

I've spent zilch so far. Too many humble bundles and little time so have held back. Just think of the time you have. If you have time to play them all and then some, buy more to last you! Although if that is the case I'd be more inclined to tell you to get outside more ! :)obenns
.... ask yourself one question before you purchase a game. That question is, "Will I finish this game before the next steam sale?" If the answer is no, then you should not buy it. So, just apply that thinking to your purchases.stizzal13

SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
If you can afford it keep going why not spend a lot of money now and than you'll have plenty to play which may make you hold off on purchasing more in the future cause you got all these new games I've done a lot stupider things with $100 before for pure entertainment value.