Alternative music applications for iTunes?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sa1nT_Ch3wy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sa1nT_Ch3wy
Member since 2009 • 147 Posts

So as the title suggests I want to find something that I can use to play my music from. I have had iTunes since the early 2000s and I never really had a problem with it. However I find that today even with it installed on my SSD it is slow and clunky. So I feel like today change is in the air so I would like any suggestions. Also where would be a good place to buy music from that is not directly from Apple?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#2 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Seriously? I tried iTunes for like 15 minutes and instantly felt like it was a bloated piece of crap. It's the reason I never touched an iPod even with a 20-foot pole. These days I use Foobar2000 and I'm happy enough with it; it's fast, simple, lightweight and highly customizable, the latter especially if you're willing to spend a little time playing around with it.

As for music, I guess you could try Amazon. Sorry, I'm not well versed in that area.

Employee427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Employee427
Member since 2016 • 489 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

Seriously? I tried iTunes for like 15 minutes and instantly felt like it was a bloated piece of crap. It's the reason I never touched an iPod even with a 20-foot pole. These days I use Foobar2000 and I'm happy enough with it; it's fast, simple, lightweight and highly customizable, the latter especially if you're willing to spend a little time playing around with it.

As for music, I guess you could try Amazon. Sorry, I'm not well versed in that area.

It's so simple and easy, love itunes.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

I try to buy my music from amazon whenever I can. Much better than buying from itunes. I personally feel that groove in windows 10 is pretty good, it's simple and quick.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

I use Musicbee. Plays everything and isnt ultra barebones like foobar.

But yea, itunes is ridic bloated and dumb.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@employee427 said:
@madrocketeer said:

Easy?

Try a copy and paste of music from one device to another and get back to me.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside

@Sa1nT_Ch3wy said:

So as the title suggests I want to find something that I can use to play my music from. I have had iTunes since the early 2000s and I never really had a problem with it. However I find that today even with it installed on my SSD it is slow and clunky. So I feel like today change is in the air so I would like any suggestions. Also where would be a good place to buy music from that is not directly from Apple?

What about something like Spotify?

It can play streaming as well as offline files. The UI is very clean and very user friendly.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By madrocketeer
@dxmcat said:

I use Musicbee. Plays everything and isnt ultra barebones like foobar.

But yea, itunes is ridic bloated and dumb.

MusicBee is nice, as is Clementine, though the versions I tried of both had UI quirks I didn't quite like (can't remember what they were - this was right after Winamp went belly-up, you see), which is why I settled on Foobar2000. Yes, it's barebones, but it does the job, and isn't a monstrous pile of bloat like iTunes.

Still, now that you mentioned it, I might give them another try.

Employee427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Employee427
Member since 2016 • 489 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@employee427 said:
@madrocketeer said:

Easy?

Why would I want to do that?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside

@employee427 said:
@FelipeInside said:
@employee427 said:
@madrocketeer said:

Easy?

Why would I want to do that?

That's not the point I was making.

iTunes just makes everything more difficult than it should be. Transferring music, arranging music, downloading photos, moving files around.

On top of that it's buggy as hell. Apple should liberate it a bit.

Sa1nT_Ch3wy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sa1nT_Ch3wy
Member since 2009 • 147 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@Sa1nT_Ch3wy said:

It can play streaming as well as offline files. The UI is very clean and very user friendly.

Doesn't Spotify require a subscription? Sort of like Pandora where it has commercials?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside

@Sa1nT_Ch3wy said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Sa1nT_Ch3wy said:

Doesn't Spotify require a subscription? Sort of like Pandora where it has commercials?

Both free and paid plans. This compares them:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/comparison-of-spotify-subscriptions.html

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

I use Winamp, good and simple.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By madrocketeer

@PredatorRules:

I heard it has a new dev. Have they released a new version since Nullsoft died?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@madrocketeer said:

@PredatorRules:

I heard it has a new dev. Have they released a new version since Nullsoft died?

Yes, it also features the old style as a skin to choose if you've got some nostalgic memories =)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58413 Posts

I use Spotify Premium; worth every penny, and they have all the music I could ever want. You can download to devices, too, for those rare moments you are without an internet connection. But I do 90% of my music listening at home or work so it is perfect for me.

Not the answer you were looking for, I'm sure, but something to consider.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#17 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

How are Spotify even still around? Why are artists not suing them back to the stone age?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

How are Spotify even still around? Why are artists not suing them back to the stone age?

Because Spotify still has millions of people that subscribe to the service so it's paid.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#19 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@Starshine_M2A2 said:

Because Spotify still has millions of people that subscribe to the service so it's paid.

But they're selling someone else's work.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside

@Starshine_M2A2 said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Starshine_M2A2 said:

But they're selling someone else's work.

The artists still get paid but very little and Spotify are working on this: http://www.spotifyartists.com/spotify-explained/

bulesky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bulesky
Member since 2016 • 1 Posts

If you want to free download the alternative to Foobar2000 for Mac and Windows to play MP3, MP4, AAC, CD Audio, WMA, Vorbis, Opus, FLAC, etc and convert between any audio formats.I suggest Avdshare Video Converter,

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

Haha anything but iTunes.

Winamp, Foobar, WMP, VLC....anything!

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

Spotify is awesome. It's basically all I use now. I will continue to pay $10/month until they do have to shut down. Used to be I'd spend tons of time downloading and cataloging music. **** that (downloading and storing digital music on my HDD in this, the age of fast internet). If I want something in a higher quality I'll download the FLAC or listen to the vinyl.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 madrocketeer

@pyro1245:

Mate, I remember posting in this thread back in May, and this thread was probably necro'd by a bot.

Just a little heads up before mods come in to lock this.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

@pyro1245:

Mate, I remember posting in this thread back in May, and this thread was probably necro'd by a bot.

Just a little heads up before mods come in to lock this.

Wow didn't even realize. heh

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

I use Winamp, good and simple.

Winamp still exists? Does it still say this upon opening it?

Loading Video...

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GeryGo  Moderator

@saintsatan: lol no

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

Itunes is the only play to get a large selection of JPN video game osts, so I will continue to have install even though I use WMP. I don't use spotify though so I have no opinion about them.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

I use Google Play Music, you get a personal upload of 10,000 songs(I think) plus has a similar range to Spotify and the web based interface is nice and light plus a subscription means no adds on YouTube either. Probably not what you wanted to hear but seems the best of both worlds, good range of music, option to purchase and a little extra bonus of ad free YouTube.

Otherwise I use media monkey but only my laptop... for some reason... It's alright and can sync your iPhone.