Alien Isolation won PCG's GOTY.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Game of the year

So what do you guys think? I haven't played it yet so can't comment on the game but I thought divinity was gonna win.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

Haven't played the game but from what I've heard, it's really well optimized and that's all you need to to do to get your approval from PCGamer folks.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I'm rather shocked. I personally thought the game was a mediocre port that utilized almost no pc specific enhancements or graphics processing techniques. Hell most of the light in the game is static drown on maps that aren't even effected by anything in the surrounding. Oh ya where is your shadow? I don't get how a game that literally show's almost zero improvements over it's console version can then become a PC gamer game of the year. Actually that might just be an overall review of the year. Everything sucked and was mediocre so all that made the top was a shit port that ran well but did nothing to utilize the platform at hand. Would seem they are all just gushing over it as it's literally the only good aliens game ever made, and by the way they wright on about it they were most likely 12 when they saw the first film, so nostalgia... Still don't make it feel right.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

I'm rather shocked. I personally thought the game was a mediocre port that utilized almost no pc specific enhancements or graphics processing techniques. Hell most of the light in the game is static drown on maps that aren't even effected by anything in the surrounding. Oh ya where is your shadow? I don't get how a game that literally show's almost zero improvements over it's console version can then become a PC gamer game of the year. Actually that might just be an overall review of the year. Everything sucked and was mediocre so all that made the top was a shit port that ran well but did nothing to utilize the platform at hand. Would seem they are all just gushing over it as it's literally the only good aliens game ever made, and by the way they wright on about it they were most likely 12 when they saw the first film, so nostalgia... Still don't make it feel right.

So you just judged the whole game bases on that it didn't have PC specific enhancements?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

A little surprised, it was a decent game though but had a few flaws and was a little two long.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

I don't know what game you played, but Alien Isolation has a real time radiosity lighting system. It is not static. For example, if you use your flashlight or are in a section with opening shutters or things flying past the windows you can clearly see the global illumination system at work. http://community.amd.com/community/amd-blogs/amd-gaming/blog/2014/10/07/high-tech-fear--alien-isolation

Also, GOTY award is not an award for "Most improved versus consoles", it is for what they consider the best game of the year all things considered. Alien Isolation was a great game, looks great, and performs extremely well.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

I can see how Playing a half-decent game based off one of the best sci-fi movies of our generation that has been plagued with horrible let downs in previous game iterations can seem like the best game of this year....after all, food always tastes better when you're hungry, even if it isn't really high caliber cuisine.

Its a shame how much Divinity: original sin is being overlooked. I haven't even finished the game yet and its easily the best game I've played all year.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

game was amazing and deserves it. best technical and artistic graphics of any game this year, it was legitimately tense and scary, had amazing use of source material.... and was just a great game overall. easily some of the best lighting i have ever seen in a game.

also, game wins mega props from me for having the most realistic looking fire in any videogame ever.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

It is good to see that there is some sanity out there in the big gaming media regarding this game.

JunkTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JunkTrap
Member since 2006 • 2640 Posts

You're forgetting that PC gamer is not taking any consoles into consideration. There's no relativity there. It's a well optimized game that runs smoothly with varying hardware specs. It took a different approach to the FPS formula than what we're used to seeing. Tell me what other PC games are there that are worthy of GOTY? DA:I was great however it was more of the same with lots of content; nothing groundbreaking. Sadly, I can't even recall which games were from 2013 and 2014 except for the most recent ones.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

PC Gamer, eh? The same rag that had the stones to claim Dragon Age 2, "has the best RPG combat ever."

Yeah, I take their opinions very seriously....

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

They chose...poorly.

Isolation is mediocre and there are quite a few different games better than it, e.g. Mordor, Inquisition, Age of Wonders 3 just to name 3.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

Eh.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Needs more Co-Op....

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Needs more Co-Op....

There's a reason it's called "Isolation" you know...

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Wahhhh my opinion is not the same as this other persons opinion wahhhh.

And it's PC gamer not multiplatform gamer,why the chuff would they take consoles into account for any reason?

Also pc specific features?

All next gen consoles and pc are currently at dx 11 level when it comes to graphical features...the only differenice is horsepower...

Cluless bloody gamers.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lulu_Lulu

@FelipeInside

so what, two or more people can still be isolated together, you can isolate a group, a nation, an entire freaking Continent.....

Go by your logic it would have made much more sense if they called "Loneliness" or "Individual", since those are unmistakenly singular....

CO-OP !

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5ebea105efb64

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@FelipeInside

so what, two or more people can still be isolated together, you can isolate a group, a nation, an entire freaking Continent.....

Go by your logic it would have made much more sense if they called "Loneliness" or "Individual", since those are unmistakenly singular....

CO-OP !

Get out of my thread.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lulu_Lulu

@Gamerno6666

You don't have enough persuasion to make such a request, level up and try again later. ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Gamerno6666

You don't have enough persuasion to make such a request, level up and try again later. ;)

Does it really matter? stat based attacks don't work on you. Need to summon a mod.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lulu_Lulu

@Gamerno6666

yeah..... You're gonna need real skill when it comes to me..... :p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5ebea105efb64

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Gamerno6666

yeah..... You're gonna need real skill when it comes to me..... :p

I hope you get your last strike soon.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lulu_Lulu

@Gamerno6666

Until then.... We are gonna get along swimmingly. ;)

did I tell you about the time someone almost tricked me into getting banned ?

Why do people hate me so much ? :(

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

Game of the year

So what do you guys think? I haven't played it yet so can't comment on the game but I thought divinity was gonna win.

I haven't played it yet, I enjoyed the amnesia series so hopefully I'll like this.

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Gamerno6666

Until then.... We are gonna get along swimmingly. ;)

did I tell you about the time someone almost tricked me into getting banned ?

Why do people hate me so much ? :(

Why do you persist in derailing nearly every thread you post in?

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I liked it but not really GOTY material.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Pretty poor choice. It's distinctly average and mediocre compared to a lot of releases this year...

How can you even look at the Alien in that game without laughing? It's so clumsy and poorly animated...

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Qixote

@KHAndAnime said:

How can you even look at the Alien in that game without laughing? It's so clumsy and poorly animated...

Of course you are entitled to your opinion about that. But technically you are completely wrong. This game has been criticized for many things, but the alien animation is not typically one of them. You are definitely the first I have heard accusing the alien looking clumsy. Whatever. . .

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KHAndAnime

@Qixote said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Of course you are entitled to your opinion about that. But technically you are completely wrong. This game has been criticized for many things, but the alien animation is not typically one of them. You are definitely the first I have heard accusing the alien looking clumsy. Whatever. . .

Technically how? The number of frames? If it looks clumsy, it looks clumsy. There's nothing technical about it. I've always imagined Aliens being incredibly dexterous creatures, but the Alien in Isolation lurks around like Frankenstein - slowly rounding corners with his awkward pathfinding. These individuals make the same criticism in this video so I'm not isolated in my opinion.

Loading Video...

You really think it's scary? Looks like a joke to me...

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Qixote

It certainly didn't look clumsy when it swiftly came after you for the kill. Or when it quickly came out or climbed into crawl spaces. Or many other times. Haters gonna hate no matter what.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KHAndAnime

@Qixote said:

It certainly didn't look clumsy when it swiftly came after you for the kill. Or when it quickly came out or climbed into crawl spaces. Or many other times. Haters gonna hate no matter what.

That's precisely why it's so clumsy to me. The only times it looks fast is when it's scripted (such as when the kill animation is triggered or when it exits/enters). But when the A.I. is wandering around in free-form, it's a slow lurch that just looks weird (IMO). If it was more consistent, I wouldn't complain.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

It was a great game but personally I preferred The Evil Within as far as horror games go. The Evil Within had more varied gameplay and a more diverse environment. It had a rough PC launch but after it was patched it was excellent. My only complaint is the freakin' insane difficulty on some parts.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#32 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@verbalfilth said:

Its a shame how much Divinity: original sin is being overlooked. I haven't even finished the game yet and its easily the best game I've played all year.

Agreed. Will play it again soon. And once again when major updates are released next year.

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

Well deserved. It was an awesome game.