Alien Isolation is kind of good

This topic is locked from further discussion.

acg5151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 acg5151
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I've been playing this game and I'm up to the medical center. This game is really fun. The crafting is simple but that's fine because it works for me. I've been playing videogames since I was like 8 years old on the NES and I haven't been scared by a game in a long time, but I got killed from the alien out of nowhere and honestly, it scared the shit out of me and I actually screamed - first time in a while.

It's kind of cool how for once in a video game you aren't a super powerful badass who can just kill everything but just some chick sneaking around and trying to stay alive.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

it kind of is good, yeah.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I enjoyed it as well, although the ending was crap.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Its stressful, cant get anything done because that Alien is not scripted. Its totally unpredictable it just goes were the hell it wants and kills you instantly.

I like it though good game.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Great game I love the jump scares.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6  Edited By Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

Don't know whether I will get it. Maybe on a future Steam sale. Rock Paper Shotgun seems to like it though. I was reading the "Wot I Think" article on Alien Isolation yesterday.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#7 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

i'll probably get it on sale eventually, i fear the save system will ruin it for me

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

All it needs is Co-Op.... :p

tinmann840

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tinmann840
Member since 2009 • 30 Posts

Kind of good? So it's not good or really good it's just "kind" of good. That's like saying it's almost made it to good but didn't cross the finish line.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@tinmann840 said:

Kind of good? So it's not good or really good it's just "kind" of good. That's like saying it's almost made it to good but didn't cross the finish line.

It's bloody awesome.... fact.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
@FelipeInside said:

@tinmann840 said:

It's bloody awesome.... fact.

It's fair...according to Gamespot. (fair is another word for "meh").

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

I was kinda down on this game but I'm enjoying it. Died for the first time last night.

Looks nice to (even though running over 30fps it still feels cinematic), especially at 2560 x 1440, 144Hz, and G-Sync. (Uust thought I'd throw that in).

EDIT: I have some nice pics in my steam screenshots

devnon06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By devnon06
Member since 2014 • 28 Posts

That is kind of.. promising.

With every new game I keep asking myself why do they keep making games for this franchise? From memory all of the Alien games have gotten terrible reviews since AVP2.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

I'm not someone who's a fan of horror games but I enjoy them when the scares don't come at the expense of anything else. I loved both FEAR and Doom 3 which are first-person horror games albeit shooters at the same time.

Would someone like me like alien: isolation?

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#15 digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint said:

I was kinda down on this game but I'm enjoying it. Died for the first time last night.

Looks nice to (even though running over 30fps it still feels cinematic), especially at 2560 x 1440, 144Hz, and G-Sync. (Uust thought I'd throw that in).

EDIT: I have some nice pics in my steam screenshots

lol. Ubisoft burn thrown in for good measure....luv it

Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

Yeah, i love the game. It has great atmosphere and i feel like im in the movie. Very well put together!

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I normally agree with Kevin Vanord reviews but not the Alien Isolation review. The game is an 8/10 for me and I cant wait for the retail Rift to come out so I can try it in that.

Chocobo_PS2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Chocobo_PS2
Member since 2005 • 81 Posts

Played this game, glad that I know this game has headbobbing and they introduced that you eyes are fish head shaking mode camera and not human being. Making fun of the AI then uninstall this game. Not going destroy my 2nd mechanical keyboard by puke again. :p

You can guess any form of cinematic, AA rated game fps and up going have motion sickness game. I already decided years long ago with all those developers knowing care motion sickness is all.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

it is an excellent game, maybe even one of the best I have played this year. I know I caused some backlash a couple weeks ago after Gamespot and IGN published their pre-release reviews. For the record, I was only arguing that there was no conspiracy and collaboration with the two sites to bring this game down. I still think this. After playing the game, it became extremely obvious why they both hated the game. They both rushed to be the first to publish the review before release. Even while playing the game myself, I could imagine disliking the game if I had tried to rush through the entire campaign in merely a couple sessions. But taking my time with it an letting myself be totally immersed in in throughout the campaign, and it is clear that is what the developers intended. Not without its flaws granted. But surprisingly far better than I was fearing.

What I fear now is that the developers of this game, or those thinking about developing a similar game, might have taken the Gamespot and IGN reviews seriously, and plan to make a sequel that caters to the complaints in the reviews. They will make it much shorter, easier, dumber, and simply not a survival horror experience which Alien Isolation exceeds at.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

RedLetterMedia says the game sucks and based on the footage I've seen of people playing the game, I'm inclined to agree with them. This game is the epitome of a $20 project stretched into a $49.99 title. This is a game that could've been short but sweet - yet in the end it turns out to just be short.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@Qixote said:

it is an excellent game, maybe even one of the best I have played this year. I know I caused some backlash a couple weeks ago after Gamespot and IGN published their pre-release reviews. For the record, I was only arguing that there was no conspiracy and collaboration with the two sites to bring this game down. I still think this. After playing the game, it became extremely obvious why they both hated the game. They both rushed to be the first to publish the review before release. Even while playing the game myself, I could imagine disliking the game if I had tried to rush through the entire campaign in merely a couple sessions. But taking my time with it an letting myself be totally immersed in in throughout the campaign, and it is clear that is what the developers intended. Not without its flaws granted. But surprisingly far better than I was fearing.

What I fear now is that the developers of this game, or those thinking about developing a similar game, might have taken the Gamespot and IGN reviews seriously, and plan to make a sequel that caters to the complaints in the reviews. They will make it much shorter, easier, dumber, and simply not a survival horror experience which Alien Isolation exceeds at.

i'm quite sure that publishers enforce a review embargo until a certain time. it's the same thing with video cards, if i recall correctly. to avoid exactly the kind of thing you mentioned; rushed reviews that paint the product in a negative light.

i don't think that's what happened.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#22  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

It's good for the first little bit. Then it just becomes annoying and repetitive. After you have died a bunch of times, you don't fear the Alien and he just becomes this annoying obstacle keeping you from progressing. I hope you like hiding in lockers and waiting over and over. Sounds like fun huh? 5/10.

RandoJarfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RandoJarfat
Member since 2014 • 63 Posts

Looked great and authentic to the series but i hate scary games, unless its incidental to the main story ie only some part, so not for me :D

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

kind of good? its the best alien game to come out since AVP....... absolutely faithful to the source material, great atmosphere, clever gameplay, amazing graphics..... its a dream for any aliens fan. i dunno what KVOs problem was but i dont think he played the same game as me.

the only problem with the entire game is that the shotgun cannot harm the xenos. they should have left the shotgun for very late in the game and atleast allowed you to wound them. it is shown very clearly in the movies that shotguns are capable of penetrating the xenos carapace, whereas handguns are only capable at point blank range (ala the air duct scene with vasquez in Aliens). im not asking to be able to kill them.... but you should have been able to damage them, causing them to flee.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Started to play it but a lot of things kind of turned me off. Like the lighting and random dust floating up from the ground even though nothing is on the ground. Maybe I've been spoiled lately but I just can't get into a horror game that does lighting so badly. Like where is your shadow? Everyone else has one. Or why did all those light beams just disappear. I was disappointed to say the least.

RandoJarfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RandoJarfat

^lol what a vacuous reason to write off a game when the graphics are amazing otherwise.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ribstaylor1

@randojarfat: Like I said I've been spoiled on my pc as of late. The thing that actually pushed me over the edge was using flairs. They look like complete garbage and just change the world around them to various shades of red depending on it's vicinity to the flair, rather then actually light the place with red light. I know it's kind of picky but it's 2014, and I shouldn't have to deal with dumb shit like that throwing my gro0ve off.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

@ribstaylor1:

You are too anal for your own good. I've heard several reasonable complaints about the game. But yours is quite the silliest.

RandoJarfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RandoJarfat
@Qixote said:

@ribstaylor1:

You are too anal for your own good. I've heard several reasonable complaints about the game. But yours is quite the silliest.

+1

:P

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ribstaylor1

I know it's becoming a problem I keep getting more and more anal about stuff like that. I like good looking games, and it now gets me disappointed when a game like Ryse Son of Rome ( I know it's cryengine and crytech), blows a horror game in the aliens universe out of the water in the lighting\shadow and ambiance department. If anything Horror games need to be the ones pushing the envelope in this regard as they are the ones who gain the most from having great lighting. I see why they did what they did for keeping things running smooth for console but some more work could have been done to do it right on pc instead of saying screw it.

Guess my main issue with this one is it's a lazy port job. Not as lazy as any of the recent ff pc releases but lazy non the less.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cyloninside

@ribstaylor1 said:

Started to play it but a lot of things kind of turned me off. Like the lighting and random dust floating up from the ground even though nothing is on the ground. Maybe I've been spoiled lately but I just can't get into a horror game that does lighting so badly. Like where is your shadow? Everyone else has one. Or why did all those light beams just disappear. I was disappointed to say the least.

LOL WUT.... alien isolation has the best lighting of any game... ever... period.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I wonder if all the people claiming "It's a great game" actually finished it? Or did they just play it for a few hours then throw it amongst the rest of their backlog? I won't lie, I liked it too for the first few hours but after that the game went completely down hill for me. It just felt repetitive as the game went on, most of the quests were pretty much fetch quests (go get me this, oh you have to go do that). Not only that but the story was uninteresting and lacklustre too imo.

After about the halfway point the backtracking really got on my nerves, I hated the working Joes and how they stole the limelight from the Alien - plus the Joes were a pain in the ass and quite hard to kill. Having said all that no, I did not enjoy the game and had to force myself to finish it. Which is funny because I thought for this one time I won't listen to Gamespots review and see for myself, well that was a mistake.

I guess for those of you who did finish the game from start to finish and still enjoyed it are really big Aliens fans, and that's cool. I don't think you can say I don't like stealth games either because I LOVED Outlast etc. I just felt like they made Alien Isolation drag on too long and that hurt the game for me as there's not that much variety to keep it going for that long. Anyways just my 2 cents.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#33 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

I wonder if all the people claiming "It's a great game" actually finished it? Or did they just play it for a few hours then throw it amongst the rest of their backlog? I won't lie, I liked it too for the first few hours but after that the game went completely down hill for me. It just felt repetitive as the game went on, most of the quests were pretty much fetch quests (go get me this, oh you have to go do that). Not only that but the story was uninteresting and lacklustre too imo.

After about the halfway point the backtracking really got on my nerves, I hated the working Joes and how they stole the limelight from the Alien - plus the Joes were a pain in the ass and quite hard to kill. Having said all that no, I did not enjoy the game and had to force myself to finish it. Which is funny because I thought for this one time I won't listen to Gamespots review and see for myself, well that was a mistake.

I guess for those of you who did finish the game from start to finish and still enjoyed it are really big Aliens fans, and that's cool. I don't think you can say I don't like stealth games either because I LOVED Outlast etc. I just felt like they made Alien Isolation drag on too long and that hurt the game for me as there's not that much variety to keep it going for that long. Anyways just my 2 cents.

I agree. People need to ignore that it is a game in the Alien franchise and just judge it as another game. The game was a good proof of concept that got greenlit into a full game. However, the developers struggled to give the game any substance. Alien Isolation is a good interactive experience for a little bit, but a mediocore game as a whole.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By cyloninside

@BassMan said:

@BattleSpectre said:

I agree. People need to ignore that it is a game in the Alien franchise and just judge it as another game. The game was a good proof of concept that got greenlit into a full game. However, the developers struggled to give the game any substance. Alien Isolation is a good interactive experience for a little bit, but a mediocore game as a whole.

in your opinion...

because in my opinion, the game is fantastic and a joy to play from start to finish.

if you found the joes hard to kill, its because A: you werent shooting them in the head or B: you werent using all your tools. between EMPs, molotovs, flamethrower... i found them stubborn to kill but not hard. the levels where you have to square off against the joes, while still having the alien hunt you were some of the best IMO. the tension was incredible. knowing that i need to get past the androids, but still needing to avoid making noise was a huge dilemma. and the fact that the alien completely ignores them is an added element because you cant even rely on them to distract it.

RandoJarfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RandoJarfat

I think it does have to do with people being very superfiical these days and mostly are never satisfied. myself included. ive been forcing myself to play a couple of turn based strategies recently cos usually im RTS or gtfo! but im really starting to get into endless space so im glad i stuck with it.

though i must admit i too draw the line at realy bad graphics. i dont need the ultra leet lighting like guy above however i have to have fairly contemporary graphics for most things. like i havent been able to get into 2d indie strategies like ai war or distant worlds. they just look too 'janky' as some reviewer likes to call it. i will try a little more and see.

Sort of OT but related to the topic of the standards we expect to stick with a game.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BattleSpectre

@cyloninside said:

@BassMan said:

@BattleSpectre said:

in your opinion...

because in my opinion, the game is fantastic and a joy to play from start to finish.

if you found the joes hard to kill, its because A: you werent shooting them in the head or B: you werent using all your tools. between EMPs, molotovs, flamethrower... i found them stubborn to kill but not hard. the levels where you have to square off against the joes, while still having the alien hunt you were some of the best IMO. the tension was incredible. knowing that i need to get past the androids, but still needing to avoid making noise was a huge dilemma. and the fact that the alien completely ignores them is an added element because you cant even rely on them to distract it.

I did state "in my opinion" on the points I made so I'm not sure why you have to remind me on that again. Anyways I'm sure some people loved the game but I did not, I just wanted to make sure people finished the game from start to finish before calling others out and saying "Nah, it's a great game man you should get it".

Because when I was looking at Steam user reviews before I bought the game, most reviews only had a few hours play time and they were calling it a great game and a must buy based off that - which to me is pathetic. Anyways did you not find the backtracking at the halfway point of the game frustrating at all? Or the saving system which had you re-doing some segments over and over again? I'm sorry but I wish I could of loved this game but I guess it wasn't for me.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cyloninside

@BattleSpectre said:

@cyloninside said:

@BassMan said:

@BattleSpectre said:

in your opinion...

I did state "in my opinion" on the points I made so I'm not sure why you have to remind me on that again. Anyways I'm sure some people loved the game but I did not, I just wanted to make sure people finished the game from start to finish before calling others out and saying "Nah, it's a great game man you should get it".

Because when I was looking at Steam user reviews before I bought the game, most reviews only had a few hours play time and they were calling it a great game and a must buy based off that - which to me is pathetic. Anyways did you not find the backtracking at the halfway point of the game frustrating at all? Or the saving system which had you re-doing some segments over and over again? I'm sorry but I wish I could of loved this game but I guess it wasn't for me.

no, because there really wasnt THAT much backtracking, and the station was so well constructed and convincing to look at, it felt like i was working my way through a living, breathing place.

also, i didnt die that much after the first 5 hours or so. i started taking my time a LOT more, and using ALL of my tools. it didnt make the game easier necessarily, but it made the challenges less trial and error and more just tension filled. it is a game for people that take their time, not for those that like to rush and take chances.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BattleSpectre
@cyloninside said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@cyloninside said:

@BassMan said:

@BattleSpectre said:

in your opinion...

no, because there really wasnt THAT much backtracking, and the station was so well constructed and convincing to look at, it felt like i was working my way through a living, breathing place.

also, i didnt die that much after the first 5 hours or so. i started taking my time a LOT more, and using ALL of my tools. it didnt make the game easier necessarily, but it made the challenges less trial and error and more just tension filled. it is a game for people that take their time, not for those that like to rush and take chances.

I don't know, maybe I went into the game the wrong way, or burnt myself out by playing it too much (finished it in 4 days). To me it just felt like I was going through the same corridors and hallways at the halfway point of the game - I'm not the only one either. A few people (even Angry Joe the youtuber) claimed the backtracking after the halfway point of the game got annoying, and he's a very big Alien fan and gave the game an 8/10 and said he enjoyed it.

I do admit though the game was recreated in such an amazing way, and the station did feel and look like the movie with some amazing lighting and smoke effects. I just wish we could have an Alien game like this but with the colonial marines (an actual good game this time) and keep the survival horror elements. It'd be amazing.

RandoJarfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RandoJarfat

Sounds like dark souls! :P

Wow you just lost all credibility in my eyes mentioning angryjo to support your statements.

Anyways did you not find the backtracking at the halfway point of the game frustrating at all? Or the saving system which had you re-doing some segments over and over again? I'm sorry but I wish I could of loved this game but I guess it wasn't for me.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BattleSpectre

@randojarfat said:

Wow you just lost all credibility in my eyes mentioning angryjo to support your statements.

Anyways did you not find the backtracking at the halfway point of the game frustrating at all? Or the saving system which had you re-doing some segments over and over again? I'm sorry but I wish I could of loved this game but I guess it wasn't for me.

The reason I respect and like Angry Joe is because he's not biased and hasn't sold out to any developer. Just watch his reviews he puts so many time and effort into them, well over 30 minutes of in-depth analysis. I'm not looking to impress you, but you could at least state what you don't like about Angry Joe. Besides gamespot he's the only other reviewer I trust because he tells it how it is and isn't afraid to take a shit on a game when need be.

He plays on PC, Xbox and PlayStation yet isn't a fanboy. That's hard to find nowadays...

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:
@randojarfat said:

The reason I respect and like Angry Joe is because he's not biased and hasn't sold out to any developer. Just watch his reviews he puts so many time and effort into them, well over 30 minutes of in-depth analysis. I'm not looking to impress you, but you could at least state what you don't like about Angry Joe. Besides gamespot he's the only other reviewer I trust because he tells it how it is and isn't afraid to take a shit on a game when need be.

He plays on PC, Xbox and PlayStation yet isn't a fanboy. That's hard to find nowadays...

I don't mind Angry Joe but I wish his reviews weren't so long.

He should make small quick ones like 5-10min long.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BattleSpectre

@FelipeInside said:

@BattleSpectre said:
@randojarfat said:

I don't mind Angry Joe but I wish his reviews weren't so long.

He should make small quick ones like 5-10min long.

Haha I've heard a few people mention that but honestly I don't really mind his long reviews, I quite like them and when he adds those funny acting segments with other Joe - that always guarantees a laugh by me.

JohnSantina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JohnSantina
Member since 2014 • 34 Posts

@acg5151: I will be honest, I haven't been excited about a game being released in a while...but everything I have heard about this game sounds great and it has got me buzzing a little.

If it pops up in a Steam Sale it may just itself into my library :) thanks for starting the thread.