Alan Wake franchise - $4.00 on steam.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

awesome game - 90% off!

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15407/

enjoy!

:)

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
And yesterday you could pay whatever you want for it
soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

Is that game any good?

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#4 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

Is that game any good?

soolkiki

The game has some great moment and atomosphere. It is already a really great PC port and totally worth $4. 

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

[QUOTE="soolkiki"]

Is that game any good?

klusps

The game has some great moment and atomosphere. It is already a really great PC port and totally worth $4. 

Cool! I may pick this up tomorrow.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="klusps"]

[QUOTE="soolkiki"]

Is that game any good?

soolkiki

Cool! I may pick this up tomorrow.

Yeah it's great. Enjoyed the atmosphere.
blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts
Is Remedy desperate for cash or something?
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Elann2008
Is Remedy desperate for cash or something?blangenakker
The franchise has been release for 3 years, in total. PC version, a little over a year. I guess the fact that they waited about 2 years to finally release it on the PC after the console versions didn't sit well with the PC community. Personally, I didn't think it would end up on the PC so I bought it on the Xbox 360, day one. I didn't even bother with the PC version until it hit a sale of $5.
buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 buccomatic

Is that game any good?

soolkiki
yeah man. it's kickass! the story gets very deep and, for some, can be confusing but it never fails to keep you interrested and glued to the screen. and the gameplay and action is flat out badass! fantastic atmosphere and immersion as well.
buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 buccomatic
idk but there's sales like this every day/week on pretty much every single game on steam.
redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts
No they have a new game coming and they are smart and realize popularity is very important.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#12 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Is that game any good?

soolkiki

Not particularly. Its a gimmicky, repetitive horror game that isn't dark or scary enough. The light mechanic adds little and the story is uncharacteristically poor for a Remedy game. Personally, I found the combat very clunky, which was very unexpected considering whats come before it.

Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts
It's got a good atmosphere but overall pretty boring game. The combat isn't really satisfying , and its quite linear but the story seemed interesting while I was playing, but I guess not interesting enough because I bever finished it lol
CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#14 CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts
Played through it on 360 but bought it on PC today for the two DLC's it comes with.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Elann2008

[QUOTE="soolkiki"]

Is that game any good?

biggest_loser

Not particularly. Its a gimmicky, repetitive horror game that isn't dark or scary enough. The light mechanic adds little and the story is uncharacteristically poor for a Remedy game. Personally, I found the combat very clunky, which was very unexpected considering whats come before it.

I wouldn't say it has clunky combat. Felt smooth to me. But it did feel repetitive. The enemies and the way they spawned were predictable and boring to fight.
buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 buccomatic

[QUOTE="soolkiki"]

Is that game any good?

biggest_loser

i found it to be just the exact opposite. very fluid, tight and ultra cool. made me lean my body to the left and right when getting chased and ducking etc... i gave it a 9/10 in my gamespot rating. one of the better games this gen.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

The game is  fantastically written IMO. I can tell its written by the same guys as MP1 and MP2. Theres lots of little details that add to the world and make it feel alive even if they're not entirely related to the plot. At least what I played of it,  I have so many games its difficult to finish them these days. I will have to get around to it soon. The combat is fluid and responsive, there is a bit of skill involved which makes it fun to play using the dodge mechanic. 

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

[QUOTE="soolkiki"]

Is that game any good?

buccomatic

i found it to be just the exact opposite. very fluid, tight and ultra cool. made me lean my body to the left and right when getting chased and ducking etc... i gave it a 9/10 in my gamespot rating. one of the better games this gen.

Actually I found the story to be one of the strong points of this game. The general atmosphere, most of the voice acting, the fluidity of the combat, the detailed environments, and the general high level of polish were all high points of this game for me. Overall, Alan Wake is a well put together survival horror game.

It's biggest weakness was it's excessive emphasis on combat. Enemies were a little bit too constant in most parts which detracted from the "scary", but overall I thought the game was definitely worth it, and I had purchased it at full price.

-Byshop

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I guess this is for the people that didn't see the humble bundle.

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

The gameplay is crap and the story is ridiculous.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#21 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
[QUOTE="blangenakker"]Is Remedy desperate for cash or something?redskins26rocs
No they have a new game coming and they are smart and realize popularity is very important.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I guess this is for the people that didn't see the humble bundle.

kraken2109

Pretty much this.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#23 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70401 Posts

Is that game any good?

soolkiki

Nope. Poor storytelling and poor controls. Looks great though.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Alan Wake was amazing. I got a free copy when i was the first to buy the new Xbox 360 Slim at my local store when it was released. A Microsoft representative was there and i took a picture with him :D

At this price i'd love to play it again on the PC.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Got it as well without knowing too much about it...but saw the pics, browsed a bit through the community hub, youtubed some gameplay footage and saw it was from 2012....also had good GS Reviews so for that price I bought it as well. Yet have to install and play it

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

It's a great game with good storytelling, tight controls, and a lot of small details that make you appreciate the game even more.

I played and beat the 360 version and bought the humble bundle just so I can play American Nightmare.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

A game and a half is called a franchise?

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#28 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

If you enjoy Stephen King's kind of horror story telling then you will definitely like this.  

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

[QUOTE="blangenakker"]Is Remedy desperate for cash or something?Elann2008
The franchise has been release for 3 years, in total. PC version, a little over a year. I guess the fact that they waited about 2 years to finally release it on the PC after the console versions didn't sit well with the PC community. Personally, I didn't think it would end up on the PC so I bought it on the Xbox 360, day one. I didn't even bother with the PC version until it hit a sale of $5.

? It sat very well with the PC Community, Remedy did the Port themselves out of their own money and made the port REALLY well, if the PC community was that pissed it would have been pirated to hell and back. They made the money back..In a day I believe ? everything from that further on was just profit. 

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
When I saw the deal last night, it was hard to pass up. $4.00 is well-worth the game, extras and expansion. For those that haven't played it, it's kinda like survival horror meets Max Payne. For those complaining about it being a bad game, well, not every game will appeal to every person.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Crazy not to get it for that price. Alan Wake was a good freakin' time. Glad they brought it to PC.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="blangenakker"]Is Remedy desperate for cash or something?Blake135

? It sat very well with the PC Community, Remedy did the Port themselves out of their own money and made the port REALLY well, if the PC community was that pissed it would have been pirated to hell and back. They made the money back..In a day I believe ? everything from that further on was just profit. 

Microsoft cancelled Alan Wake PC. Said it wasn't fit for the PC platform. Alan Wake shipped on Xbox 360 and it didn't sell well.. so they come crawling back, and try to make up losses by porting it to the PC 2 years later. I'm sure it was more of Microsoft's doing. Max Payne games never sold well either despite their great quality. I like Remedy, just don't like Microsoft.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Microsoft cancelled Alan Wake PC. Said it wasn't fit for the PC platform. Alan Wake shipped on Xbox 360 and it didn't sell well.. so they come crawling back, and try to make up losses by porting it to the PC 2 years later. I'm sure it was more of Microsoft's doing. Max Payne games never sold well either despite their great quality. I like Remedy, just don't like Microsoft.Elann2008

Alan Wake did alright. It sold 1.4 mil before the PC version came out, but the scrapping -was- Microsoft's fault as Remedy wanted a PC version all along. MS allowed them to do it later so that the PC version wouldn't cut into the 360 unit sales (there aren't a ton of "exclusives" on the 360).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-16-how-remedy-convinced-microsoft-to-let-it-make-alan-wake-pc

-Byshop

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 buccomatic

If you enjoy Stephen King's kind of horror story telling then you will definitely like this.  

THGarrett
i think it's kinda like the old twilight zone tv show except it's modern and way more creepy and freaky. i also love how there is pretty much non-stop action the whole way through the game as well.
Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts
It's sad that I can't pay for American Nightmare, but that's what I would get.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kraken2109
[QUOTE="THGarrett"]

buccomatic
i think it's kinda like the old twilight zone tv show except it's modern and way more creepy and freaky. i also love how there is pretty much non-stop action the whole way through the game as well.

You mean in between the 5 minute cutscenes..?
gogoplexiorayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#37 gogoplexiorayo
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

alan wake along with mass effect 3 was the only games last year i consider a classic. Alan wake is really an amazing game.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 buccomatic

[QUOTE="buccomatic"][QUOTE="THGarrett"]

kraken2109

not sure why you didn't like the cutscenes, they really did a good job with the diverse, strange and some normal characters. with memorable personalities they contrasted each other to highlight their differences and help draw you into that crazy world with them.

as for the non-stop action, there were stretch runs where i had to pause the game because i had so much adrenaline going. i remember a few partS in particular - going up the road and then to and across the bridge (a few of them actually), to the barn and then... the ultimate - the old gods of asguard was one of the the best cutscene ever? lol it was hilarious and was a well crafted tension breaker, i LOL'd HARD. then after having my mind blown by it... here the come baddies again with heavy metal blaring in the background, aaaahh! - will never forget that lol!

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Doubtful seeing as the game has been out for years, AND the pc port sold so well that it easily went over any kind of sales expectations they had for the game..
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kraken2109

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="buccomatic"]i think it's kinda like the old twilight zone tv show except it's modern and way more creepy and freaky. i also love how there is pretty much non-stop action the whole way through the game as well.buccomatic

not sure why you didn't like the cutscenes, they really did a good job with the diverse, strange and some normal characters. with memorable personalities they contrasted each other to highlight their differences and help draw you into that crazy world with them.

as for the non-stop action, there were stretch runs where i had to pause the game because i had so much adrenaline going. i remember a few partS in particular - going up the road and then to and across the bridge (a few of them actually), to the barn and then... the ultimate - the old gods of asguard was one of the the best cutscene ever? lol it was hilarious and was a well crafted tension breaker, i LOL'd HARD. then after having my mind blown by it... here the come baddies again with heavy metal blaring in the background, aaaahh! - will never forget that lol!

Cutscene =/= action, so it isn't non-stop action. I'm not saying the game is bad and there is action, but it isn't non-stop.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

Crazy not to get it for that price. Alan Wake was a good freakin' time. Glad they brought it to PC.

psn8214
Call me crazy then!
JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
[QUOTE="buccomatic"]

[QUOTE="kraken2109"] You mean in between the 5 minute cutscenes..?kraken2109

Cutscene =/= action, so it isn't non-stop action. I'm not saying the game is bad and there is action, but it isn't non-stop.

If action movies didn't exist, you'd almost be right.
REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

I've already beaten the main game on 360, but at least this gives me the chance to play the dlc's and american nightmare

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 buccomatic
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="buccomatic"] You mean in between the 5 minute cutscenes..?JKnaperek

i think you misunderstand what i was saying. i was saying that i had to pause the game to get a breather because there was non-stop action. and when the game gave me a break from the action, it came in the form of an awesome cutscene. one of them was one of the best cutscenes ever and then the action started right back up again. not every game has great cutscenes (wolfenstein). alan wake did have great cutscenes and was part of the great atmosphere the game had. +intense and awesome action for long periods of time and excellent cutscenes, for storytelling immersion, atmosphere and character development (in the case of alan wake) = near perfect game.
WinsteadVolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 WinsteadVolve
Member since 2011 • 366 Posts

Mother of God.