Age of Empires Online is done. Does this spell the end of the series ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17516 posts) -

Seems like GPG is done with developing content for Age of Empires online:

creating top-tier content, as we have been for the last year and a half, is very expensivetoo expensive to maintain for long, as it turns out. We can no longer afford to keep creating it. AOEO already has a very large amount of high-quality, hand-crafted entertainment, and adding more is no longer cost-effective.

There will still be bug fixes and a bit of smaller content added and at least the servers won't go offline as you can read here. But how long will they stay online I wonder if the game isn't profitable like they said?

I doubt MS will be interested anymore to make an Age of Empires game after this. The series is most likely dead.:(

#2 Posted by flipin_jackass (9729 posts) -

That sucks. AoE, II, and AoM did quite well. AoE III did ok, but it was being released just after DoW, Rome, Rise of Nations Expansions, LotR:BFME etc... I hope this means they just get out of the F2P model and back to releasing it as a retail game..

#3 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17516 posts) -

That sucks. AoE, II, and AoM did quite well. AoE III did ok, but it was being released just after DoW, Rome, Rise of Nations Expansions, LotR:BFME etc... I hope this means they just get out of the F2P model and back to releasing it as a retail game..

flipin_jackass

I hope so too. But I really doubt it since MS Flight meant the end of the Flight Simulator series too

#4 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -
AOE 3 has been selling good on Steam so we'll see. If nothing comes out, perhaps in 5-10 years from now a Kickstarter will pop up...
#5 Posted by Spoonoop (178 posts) -
well, at least something good is coming out of it. That is, Gas Powered Games can focus on something new. In fact, GPG recently made an announcement that they will make an announcement about a new game soon. And I'm hoping it's going to be an RTS. Kings and Castles hopefully?
#6 Posted by James161324 (8315 posts) -

I'm not sure it means the end of the franchise. AOE Online did fairly well for a while. But do to a poor and somewhat unbalanced pvp element. A game just will not last. The game does have around 25 hrs of SP content per Civ.

#7 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17516 posts) -

I'm not sure it means the end of the franchise. AOE Online did fairly well for a while. But do to a poor and somewhat unbalanced pvp element. A game just will not last. The game does have around 25 hrs of SP content per Civ.

James161324

They completely redid the F2P model because it was pay too win at the start, which made a lot of people leave the game. Now it seems even this radical change doesn't attract enough people for it to be commercially viable.

I played a lot of PVP and PVE (have been playing AOEO since the beta) and they really did improve upon the game, unfortunately to no avail. There is a lot of unqiue SP content but once you reach Level 20 than you will encounter many of the same quests for each civ.

I really hope MS considers making another game. According to Robot Entertainments website the series has sold over 20 million copies. But I doubt it seeing as how the end of MS Flight also marked the end of the Flight Simulator series.

#8 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (4569 posts) -

Love AOE 1,2,3. Hated the art direction they took with AOE online.

#9 Posted by cyborg100000 (2874 posts) -

AoE died with AoM for me. I love the gritty art style and the soundtracks of the past games, why is everything made so childlike these days? Don't get me started on the lack of story, riding on past ideas and the grindy petty side quests either, eugh.

#10 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17516 posts) -

Some good AOE news though: an unofficial AOE2 expansion came out featuring 5 new civs and widescreen support.

It's called forgotten empires, check it out;)

#11 Posted by the_bi99man (11059 posts) -

Some good AOE news though: an unofficial AOE2 expansion came out featuring 5 new civs and widescreen support.

It's called forgotten empires, check it out;)

R4gn4r0k

Oh snap. Does that work with the Conquerers expansion, too?

#12 Posted by gunmaster55555 (710 posts) -
Hopefully this means they are working on aoe4. Ah who am I kidding? The day that happens I will be so god damn happy.
#13 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17516 posts) -

Oh snap. Does that work with the Conquerers expansion, too?

the_bi99man

It should work. Have yet to try it myself though.

#14 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17516 posts) -

Hopefully this means they are working on aoe4. Ah who am I kidding? The day that happens I will be so god damn happy.gunmaster55555

Don't know what Robot Entertainment is working on. I'm hoping it's a new AOE... but that would mean MS is interested in making one. Which I highly doubt.

MS has lost all touch with the PC community, what they want, etc...

They closed a developer that made a multimillion selling franchise and turned it into a F2P failure:(

#15 Posted by Tuzolord (1338 posts) -

They should've gone the total war way with more building involved and without these cartoon graphics.

#16 Posted by James161324 (8315 posts) -

They should've gone the total war way with more building involved and without these cartoon graphics.

Tuzolord

AOE had far more building than total war. Total war is a battle sim for the most part. They are two completely different kinds of rts

#17 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

Tuzolord

The game is great even if you don't know much about what it actually has in terms of building or hate its art style, its "money making" plan is terrible, too strict for anyone to play completely free (and make them pay little by little in the long run on various features) and too unappealing for people already spending some money, on unlocking certain things, to spend more.

#18 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5896 posts) -

I absolutely loved AOE2 and I really don't care for the RTS genre over all. I never did play AOE3, but $10 still seemed too steep for a game so old IMO. I hope this isn't the end, but I think it probably is. Usually F2P is the last route a series takes before it fades off. I've never heard of a game series going from F2P to retail again.