(Advice Wanted) Are my specs up to par?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xerxcuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xerxcuss
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I'm ordering a gaming computer that I hope will have good specs to play most games on ultra quality optimal. The Specs: Processor (AMD A8-3870K APU (4x 3.00GHz/4MB L2 Cache)) Processor Cooling (Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System (AMD) - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow Memory (16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module Video Card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti - 1GB - SLI Mode (Dual Cards))) Video Card Brand (=== High Performance === EVGA Brand Video Cards [SLI enabled] Powered by NVIDIA)) Motherboard ([CrossFire] ASUS F1A75-V PRO) Primary Hard Drive (1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive)) Sound Card (Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio) Operating System (Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit Case (CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced Full Tower Gaming Case - Black As far as I am told by The site which I bought the computer from as well as a friend of mine who builds computers, that this is easily enough to play games (Such as Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Cyrsis 2-with a little strain ect.) On ultra settings keeping the FPS above 60. So I just wanted advice from some experts. I look forward from hearing from you all. (Keep the gaming fist strong)
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Maybe depending on the res. But the 550 is not that good

GS550L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GS550L
Member since 2011 • 923 Posts

If you have the option, I'd drop down to 8GB of memory and ditch the two GTX 550 ti's for a single GTX 560 (Ti edition if you can afford it) and a s1155 quad-core like the i5 2400 or i5 2500. I feel that you'd be happier with that setup as opposed to a Llano quad-core and weaker SLI'd cards.

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts
You don't need an APU if you are running a graphics card. That sound card is an abortion. It is the prime example of what is wrong with Creative. The liars call it X-Fi, but it is not, and you have to pay again to unlock DDL if you want it. Tom's Hardware did an in-depth review on BF3 with different hardware. ( http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063-7.html ) That card is nowhere near enough to run BF3 on Ultra at an HD-level resolution. It won't even do High at 1920X1080. EDIT: Did you mean that you have two 550 Tis in SLI? That isn't much better than a single 560 Ti and still not enough for BF3.
Xerxcuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Xerxcuss
Ah thanks, though Im not looking to run the games at very high resolutions. As far as I can tell from various sites and there benchmarks, that I can play these games at high- ultra settings at ~yes lower resolutions. However I do plan to upgrade my graphics card. I only choose the 550 Dual because of the deal I got. Let me tell you want my goal is, this might make answers and advice easier. I'm not looking for supreme resolution nor necessarily ultra graphics but a decent resolution and high and if possible ultra settings. What graphics card should I upgrade to with my current configuration? Lets say I have a budget of $500.
Xerxcuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Xerxcuss
Yes Blistrax, It is in SLI. I also looked at the benchmarks and those resolutions are extremely high. No need for the size monitor I will have.
Xerxcuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Xerxcuss
Also this setup was under $1600 for someone to build it. Don't know if thats good or not.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
For $1600 you should be getting a way better GPU.
jpm27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jpm27
Member since 2003 • 363 Posts

For $1600 you should be getting a way better GPU.SF_KiLLaMaN
For $1600 he could do better on almost everything. Was that price for just the tower or did it include mouse, keyboard and monitor?

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts
Yes Blistrax, It is in SLI. I also looked at the benchmarks and those resolutions are extremely high. No need for the size monitor I will have.Xerxcuss
1680X1050 is not extremely high. What resolution is your monitor?
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Generic 2500k, 8GB, 560ti recommendation.

Xerxcuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Xerxcuss
Ok so no one seemed to notice that the ASUS motherboard is not compatible with Nvida cards.... Makes me question your knowledge as that was a simple test. I Actually have Crossfired dual amd 6790 1gb cards. Why would I decrease my Ram to 8G instead of having 16? Also I added a 120G SSD as my primary hardrive. FUS RO DAH!
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Man people here have such high standards in GPUs. The 550 is fine, and will play any game decently enough
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Iantheone
Ok so no one seemed to notice that the ASUS motherboard is not compatible with Nvida cards.... Makes me question your knowledge as that was a simple test. I Actually have Crossfired dual amd 6790 1gb cards. Why would I decrease my Ram to 8G instead of having 16? Also I added a 120G SSD as my primary hardrive. FUS RO DAH!Xerxcuss
Because everyone has the time to know every mobo and what it supports.
Xerxcuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Xerxcuss
Yeah I noticed that. They also are one minded. I actually dont have the 550s, that was a test to see if anyone knew anything about specs. I actually have Dual Crossfired amd 6790 1gb. Im sure thats better than a 550 SLI.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Ok so no one seemed to notice that the ASUS motherboard is not compatible with Nvida cards.... Makes me question your knowledge as that was a simple test. I Actually have Crossfired dual amd 6790 1gb cards. Why would I decrease my Ram to 8G instead of having 16? Also I added a 120G SSD as my primary hardrive. FUS RO DAH!Xerxcuss

Did you miss the part that everyone called your setup stupid?

Xerxcuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Xerxcuss
[QUOTE="Xerxcuss"]Ok so no one seemed to notice that the ASUS motherboard is not compatible with Nvida cards.... Makes me question your knowledge as that was a simple test. I Actually have Crossfired dual amd 6790 1gb cards. Why would I decrease my Ram to 8G instead of having 16? Also I added a 120G SSD as my primary hardrive. FUS RO DAH!Iantheone

It was only a test to see who knows what they are doing. I did say I was looking for "Expert" advice. I ment no insult
Xerxcuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Xerxcuss

[QUOTE="Xerxcuss"]Ok so no one seemed to notice that the ASUS motherboard is not compatible with Nvida cards.... Makes me question your knowledge as that was a simple test. I Actually have Crossfired dual amd 6790 1gb cards. Why would I decrease my Ram to 8G instead of having 16? Also I added a 120G SSD as my primary hardrive. FUS RO DAH!GummiRaccoon

Cool story bro.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="Xerxcuss"]Ok so no one seemed to notice that the ASUS motherboard is not compatible with Nvida cards.... Makes me question your knowledge as that was a simple test. I Actually have Crossfired dual amd 6790 1gb cards. Why would I decrease my Ram to 8G instead of having 16? Also I added a 120G SSD as my primary hardrive. FUS RO DAH!Xerxcuss

Cool story bro.

"Hey you're an idiot"

"LOL I TROLLED YOU"

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Iantheone
[QUOTE="Iantheone"][QUOTE="Xerxcuss"]Ok so no one seemed to notice that the ASUS motherboard is not compatible with Nvida cards.... Makes me question your knowledge as that was a simple test. I Actually have Crossfired dual amd 6790 1gb cards. Why would I decrease my Ram to 8G instead of having 16? Also I added a 120G SSD as my primary hardrive. FUS RO DAH!Xerxcuss

It was only a test to see who knows what they are doing. I did say I was looking for "Expert" advice. I ment no insult

Its a stupid test. You said you were ordering a computer from a site, its pretty safe to assume they wouldn't build a computer with such a simple failure. On quite a few sites as well, they mislabel stuff, so generally if you copy and paste from their site there will normally be something wrong. Also, the mobo does not not support Nvidia cards, it just doesnt support SLI. 16gb of ram is useless unless you really really need it. Hell IIRC you lose performance in games above 12gb RAM.
GS550L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GS550L
Member since 2011 • 923 Posts

In their defence, there are quite literally dozens of motherboards that are released every year. I cannot reasonably expect someone to know the SLI and Crossfire compatibility of each and every motherboard out there. And even that aside, the compatibility of the parts is something that you should have researched beforehand and not relied upon on a forum.

And for my suggestion, I recommended dropping down to 8GB mainly to divert funds towards the video card(s). From what I've seen, memory usage has not reached a point where more than 8GB is necessary with a reasonable amount of programs running, and I felt that you would see a far more tangible performance boost by upgrading the videocard selection as opposed to upgrading the amount of memory.

Xerxcuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Xerxcuss
So it will make me lose performance? It was free so its no big deal unless it really degrades performance that bad. Should I seriously go to a 8G?
NailedGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NailedGR
Member since 2010 • 997 Posts

So it will make me lose performance? It was free so its no big deal unless it really degrades performance that bad. Should I seriously go to a 8G?Xerxcuss

Stick with 3G, anything higher just drains your batteries.

yachtboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 yachtboy
Member since 2003 • 1612 Posts
What is wrong with you Xerxcuss? You really have to create fake posts to gauge people's level of expertise on computers? If anything such a blatantly flawed system would suggest that your own ability to judge computer hardware is limited by the simple fact that you couldn't think of a better "test". How simple is it to just go over the threads and see what ppl are saying..... give it a few days and you learn who is full of s*** and who has good advice.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Acting like you know about computers by making stupid test you don't understand and calling us out...

Of course it supports nvidia, any PCI-E 16 slot will.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

If you're going to game in high resolutions, don't use an APU unless you're on a budget. Secondly, the GTX 550ti is overpriced for what it can do. If you have a budget over $1000 then an i5 2500k is recommended and either a GTX 560 ti or Radeon HD 6870 will give you resolutions abouve 1080p

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

This combo deal

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.828855

Plus this GPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127651