About the "feel" of current FPS games...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 xxninja666xx
Member since 2011 • 737 Posts

Is it me or all of the current FPS games seem stiff and clunky? It's a serious question. I was raised playing oldschool shooters, like Quake, Unreal, Half-Life, Soldier of Fortune etc. I got used to the way they played and it felt natural to me. However, since Modern Warfare and the sudden fad of "making games more realistic" I can't enjoy any "new" FPS - the character feels slow and heavy, every action is kinda delayed. Even shooters that brag about bringing back the oldschool style of gameplay don't seem to do a very good job. Even Wolfenstein: TND, while certainly being "oldschool" in many aspects, suffers from this. It seems the only game that did it properly over the recent years was Rise of The Triad - the character moved fast (maybe a little too fast, but you get the idea), fluently changed directions, turned around and shot without any delay. What makes it so? Have the developers forgotten how to make a proper first person shooter over the years? Enlighten me, folks - what's the cause of this?

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

It highly depends on what modern FPSs you're talking about. I can understand what you mean but there are plenty of FPS that are not stiff and clunky. Here are some modern ones that come to mind...

• Bulletstorm
  • Borderlands 1 & 2
  • The Darkness 2
  • Crysis 2 & 3
  • Far Cry 3 and the Blood Dragon DLC
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (with the Complete Mod)
  • Dishonored (borderline between clunky and fast paced)

I'd look into some of those. Most of them are pretty cheap on Steam now.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58631 Posts

consoles.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SaintSatan

@uninspiredcup said:

consoles.

And yeah, that's the reason for all the slow paced crap. With consoles you have to use a controller to aim, which is roughly the equivalent of trying to masturbating with a fork.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

the cause of this? just a new generation of gamers..times are changing man.

There is a new UT in development and this to look foward to if you want an old school fix

Loading Video...

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xxninja666xx

@k3ck:

Actually, Bulletstorm felt really clunky when compared to, say, Quake. Maybe not as much as all the CoD clones, but still Grayson Hunt felt really heavy to move and there was a slight delay between pressing the button and the actual action being performed by the character. As for the rest, I can't say anything, as I haven't played them. Except Borderlands - it kinda feels oldschool. Although the weapons are kinda underpowered in these games. Still, you mentioned roughly 8 games, so unless you have more, it proves my point that the FPS genre became garbage.

@uninspiredcup:

I, too, think that's the main reason. It's sad that you have to suffer playing with a keyboard and mouse because some people prefer aiming with a controller and want to have equal chances. I'll never understand this...

@lawlessx:

It's nice to see a slow rebirth of fast paced shooters. Too bad they focus so much on multiplayer. Would love to see a single player with a pacing like that.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SaintSatan

@xxninja666xx: Ohhh I just thought of a good one - Titanfall. The titans themselves are clunky but the overall game is very fast paced. Hell, even the titans can move pretty damn quickly and can dodge and speed boost ect. When you're on foot you can wall jump, move at super speed, double jump, scale buildings in seconds...very fast paced.

Skip to the 1 minute mark...

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Play Shadow warrior. Incredibly fun.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Quake live is coming to steam, what else do you need? Even now the population is fine w/o being on steam. There's cpma if you prefer air control, although there is no playerbase in NA.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SaintSatan

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Quake live is coming to steam, what else do you need?

Oh really? This is good news. Any idea when?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58631 Posts

Wait, wut? Excitement!

They should bring over wolf: ET as well.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

CS:GO feels pretty good to me.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#13 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

I think in general the reason for the clunkiness would be matching animations to actions. So reloading - animation, change weapons - animation. With games like quake and UT, you just flick a button or the mouse wheel and the weapon is already in your face ready to fire. The desire to add more detailed animations so it looks real creates delays for these actions.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@k3ck said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Quake live is coming to steam, what else do you need?

Oh really? This is good news. Any idea when?

End of septemberish

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Hard Reset movements feel pretty fast.

Loading Video...

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xxninja666xx

@k3ck:

While the pacing is relatively good, Titanfall feels exactly like I described. The character moves incredibly slow and feels really heavy. Kinda like the new Battlefield games. If you really think that's fluent movement, compare it to this:

Loading Video...

@nutcrackr:

You know... animations for reloading and changing weapons existed in shooters since, like, 1998, and they didn't have any impact on the gameplay. Current FPS, on the other hand, have a slight (1-1.5 second) delay between the button being pressed and the actual action on the screen being performed by the character. probably to slow down pacing of the game. It has nothing to do with realism. Just look at the L4D video I posted.

@jun_aka_pekto:

Yes, it's a pretty good example of what the FPS games used to be. Again, however, it's one of the few games that can actually do it right.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#17 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@lawlessx said:

the cause of this? just a new generation of gamers..times are changing man.

There is a new UT in development and this to look foward to if you want an old school fix

Loading Video...

It looks cool but I still found the ad funny ;)

No burgers!

No fries!

No ammo!

No people!

No fruit!

No nothing!!!

On topic:

It's a mixture of being designed around controllers and striving for more realistic movement I guess.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#18 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

Probably games trying to be "realistic" as far as physics are concerned, if I remember correctly Doom Guy runs at something like 60mph, that's why games that try to emulate somewhat realistic human run and walk speeds seem incredibly slow in comparison to older games.