A Good PC for Games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

red0584

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 red0584
Member since 2008 • 4040 Posts

Hi, i'm looking to buy a PC to use for gaming, but I know absolutley nothing about PCs, so could someone provide me some information about what I will need to be able to run what I want? If you can, try to provide a link for where I can buy a decent PC. Thanks!

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts

okay well here u go, some of what i will say varies on tastes but its generally a good guideline for what to look for in a gaming rig:

cpu: try and get a core 2 duo or anthalon 64 x2 of 2.5Ghz or better this will ensure no slow down on almost any title you can think of. certain titles (such as rainbow 6 vegas or dead space) can be very cou heavy so having better is a plus but these titles are few and far between.

memory: this one is a very touchy matter but i will do as best i can: ddr2 or ddr3 is your focus for the type of memory try and get the most affordable but functional memory you can such as ddr2-800 or ddr2 1066.this ensures longevity and good quality 1.5GB or better is the amount ur going to want.

motherboard : you want a motherboard that support what you plan on putting on it while still being able to fit in the case you want. buying the parts for a pc and discovering your motherboard is to big/small sucks and essentially halts ur plans on building. if its a storebought pc ensure it can handle better cpu's and has ample room for expansion.

gpu: the heart of the matter depending on what quality on gaming you want to do this can be both the most important part but the greatest hurdle. try to go for something that suits your needs without paying alot. for example an hd 4670 will run alot of games very well and is easily the best mid ranged card out there but an hd 4650 is only a mild step down and cheaper at the same time.

power supply : your going to want 500watts or more and and with fairly long cables some have short cables and wont go everywhere they need to.

case: try and get a case that is both stylish and manageable having the most dope looking pc is great but if it cant deal with heat at all your looking at bad preforamce and even damage from otherwise good parts.

hard drive: really having 100+ Gigabytes is your water mark for necissary anything less will mean limited room for games or expansion and any more is a plus.

DVD-rom: a necessity for a gaming pc try and make sure it has the same cabling as your hard drive to ensure easy installation.

monitor: varies alot here based on what you find comfortable to see on and your budget.

mouse: look for somehting ergenomic and with good vlaue to it in the market of mice customer reviews have a big impact

keyboard : whatever suits you but ergonomic here is also wise because tendonitus sucks.

sound card : an optional piece really if its in the budget for the build or comes with your bought pc great if not your no worse for wear.

headphone : you get what you pay for the more you pay the better the quailty but id classify any over $10 as workable.

jamesfffan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 jamesfffan
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

We need to know your budget and also where your from? usa? uk?

fat_otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#4 fat_otter
Member since 2007 • 191 Posts

Just get a Dell XPS. It runs perfectly and doesn't cost a fortune. (Depending on what model though).

Sporknife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sporknife
Member since 2009 • 403 Posts

Just get a Dell XPS. It runs perfectly and doesn't cost a fortune. (Depending on what model though).

fat_otter

AHAHAH. no.

Never buy dell, overpriced, as in you could quite literally find the parts for half the price.

jamesfffan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jamesfffan
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

If ya had to get a dell xpshttp://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/desktop-studioxps-435mt?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhsi'd get the one priced at £929 XPS studio, sure if your from usa, you can find its equivalent on their us store. But i cringe at the thought of buying a prebuilt pc.

Deadly_Fatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Deadly_Fatalis
Member since 2006 • 1756 Posts
If you give us a budget, as long as your willing to build it, many people here will be more than happy to build you a PC.
GTR2addict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 GTR2addict
Member since 2007 • 11863 Posts
If you give us a budget, as long as your willing to build it, many people here will be more than happy to build you a PC.Deadly_Fatalis
me included, il help TC :) ps ignore those who said dell, dell sucks major balls
red0584

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 red0584
Member since 2008 • 4040 Posts
My budget is around $900, but I can go higher.
marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 marcthpro
Member since 2003 • 7927 Posts

yeah Fat_otters know nothing about pc skill unlike me I know Lot Well It depend on ur Demanding I appear to have hear of you'r forum because this guy Tracked me somehow So I found Is recent post and found someone as you in distress

So Il have to Ask Few thing : First What resolution you Wish to play ? So i can find a GPU Solution that fit you'r Requirement to not over-spend and if you can go 950-1000$ I assure you'r build will be Great enough for even 1920x1200

If You wish to play game at 1920x1200 We must at last invest into a 150-350$ video card So Will start By find a Great cpu / motherboard / Ram / Powersupply
OS If you don't Own a Retail / OEM Software Operation System As XP Home / Pro

A good Case Such as CM 690 / antec Nine Hundred Two / HAf 932 / Thermatake Speedo For Awsome Airflow Depending of how much you want ur case to last perhap 10 year or Forever :P But not the fan lol

such a Case as HAF 932 / Thermtlake speedo according Temperature they give at stock Fan Setting it Far Superiors to Stock CM 690 / antec 900 Because with
that not only ul Remove Stress on the Graphic Card You will be Able to perhap even overclock the video card At last the Processor will be Tuned to

If You can perform overclocking Afterward we can maybe go Q9550 / E8600 / Because a core i7 920 Build Would Reach the 1100-1300$GAP to Reach if you gaming at 1920x1200 At Enthusiast Level Or perhap you will just go to High detail instead of maxing Because then ud have to Reduce the video card you choise
But There aint no pre-build that will defeat you'r own build no matter what other say it the Best Solution