8800GTS 512 KO in SLI?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 0

#1 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49606 Posts

I'm looking to buying a 8800GTS 512 KO from EVGA. However, I'm a little worried about heat and space. Here's some pictures of my current setup.

As you can see, the card is huge. Is it possible for me to put another 8800GTS 512KO in Slot 3 and SLI? I'm just a bit worried on heat issues.

GreaterthanG0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GreaterthanG0d
Member since 2006 • 452 Posts

LOL.

Actually, Im not a pr0 PC builder or anything, but from what I can tell your PSU is 650W. Thats definitely not enough for 2 of those cards. You'd need about 900 - 1000W.

As for the heat issues... you shouldn't have any problems if your intake/output fan at the back is well aerated. The only real issue you'll have (from experience0 is a LOT of fan noise. Try using a thermal-take gaming case.

450tantrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 450tantrum
Member since 2005 • 158 Posts

Yes your PSU maybe insufficient. You just might be able to pull it off, because I have 8800GTS 512's in SLi and Im using the 700W OCZ GameXtreme PSU.

Not only has my 700W PSU kept my system running, Its also supporting my overclocks. CPU E8400@4.4GHz and GPU 8800GTS 512 SLi @ 750/1000. By the way if you do go SLi you wont regret it, I just ran 3Dmark05 and almost hit 30k. I got 28214 in 3Dmark05

crzycespy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 crzycespy
Member since 2005 • 193 Posts
I believe the max power consumption of the card is 150w, so I'd think the 650 would run it fine.
GreaterthanG0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GreaterthanG0d

300W taken up by JUST THE GRAPHICS CARDS. What about fans, processor, (sound card?), etc etc.

:P

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts

If antec make good power suplies you dont have to worry a bit, the Q is to be how many amps on the 12v rail(s) not how much total wattage on all rails.

But The fan of the second card is going to be very close to the PSU try put that card you already have in the bottom and test if it get the cooling it should. if so you sure could get 2 and run them in SLI, just make sure you have enough with fans in that case.

Edit: Im sure it'll be fine with that card fan, it take air from the back-side if the PSU.

eric0626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 eric0626
Member since 2004 • 51 Posts

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

Buy this psu its the cosair 750TX 60a on a 12v rail will run your comp with plenty of headroom.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Damn, I really do not want to buy another PSU. Also, could I SLI if I put the card in slot 3, instead of slot 2? Does that work?

Here's my setup, everything which I got from newegg:

780i SLI Motherboard

Q6600 - stock, not overclocked.

8800 GTS 512 KO, factory overclocked

2GB of Dominator Ram

WD 500GB Hard Drive

Samsung DVD burner w/ Lightscribe

adam92682

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 adam92682
Member since 2002 • 2001 Posts

it goes in the bottom slot.

adam92682

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 adam92682
Member since 2002 • 2001 Posts

I believe the 780i comes with a hard sli connector. the length of the sli connector will determine which slot you use.

ch5richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ch5richards
Member since 2005 • 2912 Posts

That PSU will be more than sufficient.

It has 3 12v rails with 19a on each rail. It can supply 524w or 624w (the picture is hard to read on newegg due to color)to the 12v rails.

My gf's rig has 8800 GTS's 512 in SLI, with a E6320 @2.8, on a 780i, with an optical, HD and some fans of course. I have never seen it come close to using 500w, heck I don't think I have seen it hit 450w.

The second card will fit, a little tight, but you should be good. I don't think the PSU will block the fan intake on the GTS at all.

Riki101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Riki101
Member since 2004 • 2339 Posts
thats enough, some people think you need uber 1000 watts zomg edition, well you dont, a 550 watt would prolly run it

heck i remember a video card back in the day (fx5200) required 300 watt for the system as a whole,

i ran it no problems with a 200 watt
Avatar image for floridaskater05
floridaskater05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 floridaskater05
Member since 2005 • 1876 Posts

I believe the 780i comes with a hard sli connector. the length of the sli connector will determine which slot you use.

adam92682

it comes with 2 sli bridges. one for three way and one for 2.you plug it in the second slot the 780i manual say to run two cards in sli to plug them in slot 1 & 2

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="adam92682"]

floridaskater05

it comes with 2 sli bridges. one for three way and one for 2.you plug it in the second slot the 780i manual say to run two cards in sli to plug them in slot 1 & 2

Whew, that's going to be a tight-fit.

Thanks for the help fellows.

Flinchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Flinchey
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

LOL.

Actually, Im not a pr0 PC builder or anything, but from what I can tell your PSU is 650W. Thats definitely not enough for 2 of those cards. You'd need about 900 - 1000W.

As for the heat issues... you shouldn't have any problems if your intake/output fan at the back is well aerated. The only real issue you'll have (from experience0 is a LOT of fan noise. Try using a thermal-take gaming case.

GreaterthanG0d

no. don't you people have any advice other than ZOMG!!111!1 buy moar PC parts, you MUST be made of money if you're posting here.

not to mention the fan noise from the GTS is barely anything. my single 8800GT is louder than two of those *shudders*

Yes your PSU maybe insufficient. You just might be able to pull it off, because I have 8800GTS 512's in SLi and Im using the 700W OCZ GameXtreme PSU.

Not only has my 700W PSU kept my system running, Its also supporting my overclocks. CPU E8400@4.4GHz and GPU 8800GTS 512 SLi @ 750/1000. By the way if you do go SLi you wont regret it, I just ran 3Dmark05 and almost hit 30k. I got 28214 in 3Dmark05

450tantrum

trust me, his CPU is PLENTY.

700W is absolute overkill. unless you're doing two 9800GX2's or three 9800GTX's.

300W taken up by JUST THE GRAPHICS CARDS. What about fans, processor, (sound card?), etc etc.

GreaterthanG0d

300W PEAK THEORETICAL MAX in reality, it would never ever reach that kind of draw

the CPU at stock is 95W. fans are something like 5W each. HDD's are 35W each.

Buy this psu its the cosair 750TX 60a on a 12v rail will run your comp with plenty of headroom.

eric0626

no. stop telling people to buy things (this is addressed at the denizens of this forum)

you're all stupid. (sorry to be so insulting, but the way you (mostly all of you, not actually all) all go about giving advice is really wrong.)

if you were to suggest a PSU. the 620HX would be more than enough, whilst being significantly cheaper. (52A on the 12v... not to mention it's modular so less cable tangle)

though he doesn't need a new PSU, so what am i saying.

@OP. you'll be fine, go for it.

pknyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pknyo
Member since 2007 • 214 Posts

Does your case have any VGA ventilation ports on the side. That would help with getting fresh air for your cards since the bottom card will be sucking up warmer air arround your PSU. I have a Ultra Aluminus case with a VGA cooling opening on the side window I used that opening to mount a 80mm fan to get fresh from the outside . It works pretty good at keeping my cards cool with a very high overclock 2x 8800gs Sli (725/1812/950 stable, my lil Crysis clock). If you experience heat issues I would take the side of the case and drill a nice little hole pattern for each card to mount 80mm fans for each to draw in colder air. If you don`t a clear sided case it would even be noticable as far as visuals I`d reccomend some good silent ones for noise. Simple case mod would even take 30 min to do it.

My cooling setupcpc

pknyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pknyo
Member since 2007 • 214 Posts
how do i get my images to post?
aaron6581230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 aaron6581230
Member since 2005 • 2133 Posts

LOL.

GreaterthanG0d

What? He doesn't need a new case unless there isn't sufficient airflow. Plus, you don't need a 900-1000W PSU for sli. The two cards together has a peak wattage of 300W, which only takes up 25A on the +12V rail on the psu. As long as your psu has that amount of current on the rail and a bit of headroom, you'll be fine.

PC_X360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PC_X360
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts
Whoever says his PSu is insufficient is a complete noob. 2 8800 GTs needs 220 Watt at max.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="GreaterthanG0d"]

LOL.

aaron6581230

What? He doesn't need a new case unless there isn't sufficient airflow. Plus, you don't need a 900-1000W PSU for sli. The two cards together has a peak wattage of 300W, which only takes up 25A on the +12V rail on the psu. As long as your psu has that amount of current on the rail and a bit of headroom, you'll be fine.

There's more than enough room in the Cosmos 1000. It's a rather large case with plenty of room within.
GreaterthanG0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GreaterthanG0d
[QUOTE="GreaterthanG0d"]

LOL.

Flinchey

no. don't you people have any advice other than ZOMG!!111!1 buy moar PC parts, you MUST be made of money if you're posting here.

not to mention the fan noise from the GTS is barely anything. my single 8800GT is louder than two of those *shudders*

450tantrum

trust me, his CPU is PLENTY.

700W is absolute overkill. unless you're doing two 9800GX2's or three 9800GTX's.

GreaterthanG0d

300W PEAK THEORETICAL MAX in reality, it would never ever reach that kind of draw

the CPU at stock is 95W. fans are something like 5W each. HDD's are 35W each.

eric0626

no. stop telling people to buy things (this is addressed at the denizens of this forum)

you're all stupid. (sorry to be so insulting, but the way you (mostly all of you, not actually all) all go about giving advice is really wrong.)

if you were to suggest a PSU. the 620HX would be more than enough, whilst being significantly cheaper. (52A on the 12v... not to mention it's modular so less cable tangle)

though he doesn't need a new PSU, so what am i saying.

@OP. you'll be fine, go for it.

For ****'s sake. Get real. I was only trying to give adivce. Far from being "made of money, I break my back working to leave what 3/4 of this ****ing would consider a "poor" standard of living. I was just giving a realistic overview of what the situation was.

And any uneducated yob would realise that his PSU may not be sufficient for SLI. You seem to forget that thermal take cases and heat effficiency have a large effect over all when it comes to things like this. A LOT of enegry is wasted in gaming rigs due to thermal energy generated & lost by its components.

Im not telling him to do anything. PLUS, if he's considering buying another damn 8800 I don't think he's poor.

But that's just me.

opamando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 opamando
Member since 2007 • 1268 Posts
[QUOTE="Flinchey"][QUOTE="GreaterthanG0d"]

LOL.

GreaterthanG0d

For ****'s sake. Get real. I was only trying to give adivce. Far from being "made of money, I break my back working to leave what 3/4 of this ****ing would consider a "poor" standard of living. I was just giving a realistic overview of what the situation was.

And any uneducated yob would realise that his PSU may not be sufficient for SLI. You seem to forget that thermal take cases and heat effficiency have a large effect over all when it comes to things like this. A LOT of enegry is wasted in gaming rigs due to thermal energy generated & lost by its components.

Im not telling him to do anything. PLUS, if he's considering buying another damn 8800 I don't think he's poor.

But that's just me.

While I guess you were trying to help, giving out incorrect information usually does more harm than good. You never said "I think, or I believe you need" You said "That's definitely not enough for 2 of those cards. You'd need about 900 - 1000W" which is just wrong.

One of the biggest problems I have come across on these types of boards is people (for whatever reason) will give out incorrect information.

There is nothing wrong with trying to help, or giving your opinion. Like maybe if you would have said, "I would not feel comfortable with that setup with that PSU", instead of saying "Thats definitely not enough" when indeed it is.

Now I agree that efficiency is important, but that PSU has upto 85% efficiency,so where's the problem there? And what does Thermaltake cases have to do with anything. Yes some of their cases are good, some are crap. But guess what other companies can make PC cases that allow good air to flow too. Ever hear of Cooler Master, or Antec, or Lian LI?

I hope I don't sound like an ass, I don't mean too, but these types of post's cause people to waste time and money, and sometime run around in circles like a dog chasing their tail.

GreaterthanG0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GreaterthanG0d
[QUOTE="GreaterthanG0d"][QUOTE="Flinchey"][QUOTE="GreaterthanG0d"]

LOL.

opamando

But that's just me.

While I guess you were trying to help, giving out incorrect information usually does more harm than good. You never said "I think, or I believe you need" You said "That's definitely not enough for 2 of those cards. You'd need about 900 - 1000W" which is just wrong.

One of the biggest problems I have come across on these types of boards is people (for whatever reason) will give out incorrect information.

There is nothing wrong with trying to help, or giving your opinion. Like maybe if you would have said, "I would not feel comfortable with that setup with that PSU", instead of saying "Thats definitely not enough" when indeed it is.

Now I agree that efficiency is important, but that PSU has upto 85% efficiency,so where's the problem there? And what does Thermaltake cases have to do with anything. Yes some of their cases are good, some are crap. But guess what other companies can make PC cases that allow good air to flow too. Ever hear of Cooler Master, or Antec, or Lian LI?

I hope I don't sound like an ass, I don't mean too, but these types of post's cause people to waste time and money, and sometime run around in circles like a dog chasing their tail.

Ok, sorry - point taken. It might have been a bit rash for me to spew like that. Actually, the main reason I actually wanted to give out that little bit of advice was actually due to a bad experience i had recently...

You see, February 2008 I bought A silverstone 650 (might have been 700)W PSU, with an Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX. Although all the kit was bought separately, I had a professional build it for me. He pointed out that 650W wasnt cutting it for my set-up (He explained something complex and random about N-force motherboards), and that throwing in a quadcore processor coupled with a GF8800GTX was asking for too much stress on the PSU. At the time, like you and 99% of the worlds population, I had already set fire to my wallet, so I decided to ignore him and take the box as it was.

Thing is, March 20th, A DAY BEFORE MY BIRTHDAY, the damn GPU fried, taking with it my external buttkicker sound card (not a great loss, however xD ). After close inspection from said computer professional, it was due to either "insufficient power supply" OR a faulty jumper-cable from the HDD to the PSU; the former being the more likely.

Truth is, I really didnt want this to happen to anyone else. I was covered by warranty for 70% of the damages, but Im not sure how things work abroad.

Anyways, sorry if I gave out incorrect data.

Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Wesker776
Member since 2005 • 7004 Posts

LOL.

GreaterthanG0d

450tantrum

Wrong.

650w is enough for that SLI setup.

If you're having no heat issues now, then you'll be fine. Just put the card in the third slot.

Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wesker776
Member since 2005 • 7004 Posts

Ok, sorry - point taken. It might have been a bit rash for me to spew like that. Actually, the main reason I actually wanted to give out that little bit of advice was actually due to a bad experience i had recently...

You see, February 2008 I bought A silverstone 650 (might have been 700)W PSU, with an Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX. Although all the kit was bought separately, I had a professional build it for me. He pointed out that 650W wasnt cutting it for my set-up (He explained something complex and random about N-force motherboards), and that throwing in a quadcore processor coupled with a GF8800GTX was asking for too much stress on the PSU. At the time, like you and 99% of the worlds population, I had already set fire to my wallet, so I decided to ignore him and take the box as it was.

Thing is, March 20th, A DAY BEFORE MY BIRTHDAY, the damn GPU fried, taking with it my external buttkicker sound card (not a great loss, however xD ). After close inspection from said computer professional, it was due to either "insufficient power supply" OR a faulty jumper-cable from the HDD to the PSU; the former being the more likely.

Truth is, I really didnt want this to happen to anyone else. I was covered by warranty for 70% of the damages, but Im not sure how things work abroad.

Anyways, sorry if I gave out incorrect data.

GreaterthanG0d

That "professional" was completely off.

Your card fried for completely different reasons. Insufficient power wouldn't cause a fry out anyway.

Hopefully this doesn't haze your future purchases when it comes to PSU's.