750watt modular PSU? (advice on quality please)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#1 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

I've been looking around NCIX and Newegg, but so many of the ones that go on sale have a ton of horror story reviews where they fail pretty fast. I know I should take them with a grain of salt because most people review only if they are upset, but would still like some consultation before buying.

I am debating purchasing this semi-modular PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750M, but would like to know if there are better price/quality options out there. I would prefer a completely modular PSU but then again I can't really spend big bucks on this so semi-modulars are probably my best bet.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts
Corsair are one of best you shouldnt have any issues.
Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts
Corsair are one of best you shouldnt have any issues.04dcarraher
+1 no problems whatsoever.
jcbullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 jcbullen
Member since 2008 • 865 Posts
I've got the Corsair Professional HX750 modular power supply and I love it. Plenty of power, and my case looks really clean with it.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Can't go wrong with corsair.

Tim_Millington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Tim_Millington
Member since 2007 • 1615 Posts

I've got the Corsair Professional HX750 modular power supply and I love it. Plenty of power, and my case looks really clean with it.jcbullen

Me too. I totally agree!

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 True_Sounds

Is the HX750 series fully modular? I know the one I am considering has cables that cannot be unattached. I might spend more to buy the version you guys are talking about, if it is 100% modular.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 04dcarraher

Is the HX750 series fully modular? I know the one I am considering has cables that cannot be unattached. I might spend more to buy the version you guys are talking about, if it is 100% modular.

True_Sounds
There's no point in it to be fully modular the cables are attached because those tend to be need the most.
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
I've got the Corsair Professional HX750 modular power supply and I love it. Plenty of power, and my case looks really clean with it.jcbullen
Same, great power supply and very well made too. I feel very comfortable having it power my system.
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

There's no point in it to be fully modular the cables are attached because those tend to be need the most.04dcarraher

For the most part, but once you get into the higher-end/wattage models you start seeing EPS connectors. Not a huge deal by any stretch, but it's annoying to pony up the extra cash for a modular design only to find you still need to deal with an unused connector or two.

gonzalezboy07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gonzalezboy07
Member since 2007 • 252 Posts

I have the Corsair 850 TX v2 Non Modular powering my system didnt have the extra cash for the Modular version. But Corsair gets my approval for PSU.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]Corsair are one of best you shouldnt have any issues.Silicel1
+1 no problems whatsoever.

This. I've been using the same Corsair 750TX PSU for two different builds. That's like 4 years or so now. No issues whatsoever. High quality brand, super-reliable, and awesome price. You cannot go wrong with Corsair.
True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 True_Sounds

Thanks for all the input guys! I found a great deal on the HX750W model and went ahead and ordered it. With a 7 year warranty I can't see a reason not to get it :)

RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] There's no point in it to be fully modular the cables are attached because those tend to be need the most.

Spend two hours doing a very nice cable routing job. Take out the power supply one month later for cleaning. Spend another two hours redoing the nice cable routing job. Repeat every month for years. OR: Spend two hours doing a very nice cable routing job. Disconnect all the cables at the PSU and remove it for cleaning. Re-install the PSU with cable routing job intact. I know the only units I'll be buying (for my own rig) from now on will be fully modular. Being able to remove your power supply without having to re-route cables is a godsend, especially for case designs that have the PSU mounted on the bottom of the case.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] There's no point in it to be fully modular the cables are attached because those tend to be need the most.RayvinAzn
Spend two hours doing a very nice cable routing job. Take out the power supply one month later for cleaning. Spend another two hours redoing the nice cable routing job. Repeat every month for years. OR: Spend two hours doing a very nice cable routing job. Disconnect all the cables at the PSU and remove it for cleaning. Re-install the PSU with cable routing job intact. I know the only units I'll be buying (for my own rig) from now on will be fully modular. Being able to remove your power supply without having to re-route cables is a godsend, especially for case designs that have the PSU mounted on the bottom of the case.

Yeah right :roll:

Can of air and your done, what your washing/wiping everything down? nobody in the right mind would do a total cleaning of a case for dust every month unless you have OCD. I have an HAF 932 case which is a dust magnet and a plain Corsair 750w TX PSU with all the large amount cables. The PSU has not been removed since the original install back in early 2009 and I clean out my pc every 2-3 months can of air and your done once you have all the cables tucked away and routed you should never have to remove cables or psu in its life time that it works just fine. You dont have to go through that whole process for dusting. Your just blowing it way out of proportion.

RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RayvinAzn

Yeah right :roll:

Can of air and your done, what your washing/wiping everything down? nobody in the right mind would do a total cleaning of a case for dust every month unless you have OCD. I have an HAF 932 case which is a dust magnet and a plain Corsair 750w TX PSU with all the large amount cables. The PSU has not been removed since the original install back in early 2009 and I clean out my pc every 2-3 months can of air and your done once you have all the cables tucked away and routed you should never have to remove cables or psu in its life time that it works just fine. You dont have to go through that whole process for dusting. Your just blowing it way out of proportion.

04dcarraher

And I'll bet the inside of your case looks like crap. That's nice for you, but not all of us like having the snakeskin spaghetti look. You'll also never get all the dust out of a power supply if you don't remove it. They can last much longer if you do a more thorough job of cleaning them.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]Yeah right :roll:

RayvinAzn

And I'll bet the inside of your case looks like crap. That's nice for you, but not all of us like having the snakeskin spaghetti look. You'll also never get all the dust out of a power supply if you don't remove it. They can last much longer if you do a more thorough job of cleaning them.

What do you use to clean your PC, Rayvin? How do you clean it? Just curious. I really need to clean my PC. I saw those specially made vaccuum cleaner sets for gaming PC's. The company makes them especially for them. Are they any good? I'm talking about these. Thank you in advance.
RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RayvinAzn
[QUOTE="Elann2008"] What do you use to clean your PC, Rayvin? How do you clean it? Just curious. I really need to clean my PC. I saw those specially made vaccuum cleaner sets for gaming PC's. The company makes them especially for them. Are they any good? I'm talking about these. Thank you in advance.

I just use compressed air. I'll usually start by removing all the fans in the case and really cleaning them out about once a month. I'd like to do the power supply the same way, but since my HX520 is only partially modular I usually just hit it while it's inside the case, and only take it out to give it a really good cleaning once every four months or so. Once a year I'll really get down and dirty. I remove all my dust filters and wash them, re-apply thermal compound to the CPU, chipset, and GPU, pop all the keys off my keyboard clean that out, wash my mousepad, wipe off the monitor and essentially take my case apart to get all the dust out of every nook and cranny. I don't like those vacuum kits really, though I have considered a blower like the Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac. Even buying compressed air in bulk at Costco I'll probably save money if I get one of those even if it only lasts for one year.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 04dcarraher

RayvinAzn

So wrong if you use compressed air correctly you dont have to do a crap load of work
jcbullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jcbullen
Member since 2008 • 865 Posts
[QUOTE="RayvinAzn"]

04dcarraher

So wrong if you use compressed air correctly you dont have to do a crap load of work

I agree with this, it kind of sounds like someone is pretty picky about their cleaning, no offense or anything. The only things that I have to remove from my case and clean thoroughly are the dust filters.
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
[QUOTE="RayvinAzn"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] What do you use to clean your PC, Rayvin? How do you clean it? Just curious. I really need to clean my PC. I saw those specially made vaccuum cleaner sets for gaming PC's. The company makes them especially for them. Are they any good? I'm talking about these. Thank you in advance.

I just use compressed air. I'll usually start by removing all the fans in the case and really cleaning them out about once a month. I'd like to do the power supply the same way, but since my HX520 is only partially modular I usually just hit it while it's inside the case, and only take it out to give it a really good cleaning once every four months or so. Once a year I'll really get down and dirty. I remove all my dust filters and wash them, re-apply thermal compound to the CPU, chipset, and GPU, pop all the keys off my keyboard clean that out, wash my mousepad, wipe off the monitor and essentially take my case apart to get all the dust out of every nook and cranny. I don't like those vacuum kits really, though I have considered a blower like the Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac. Even buying compressed air in bulk at Costco I'll probably save money if I get one of those even if it only lasts for one year.

Amazon.com has incredibly cheap compressed air, that's where I buy mine. I like to clean out the keyboard well once a year as well the other major parts. I hate having a filthy case.
RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RayvinAzn
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] So wrong if you use compressed air correctly you dont have to do a crap load of work

You don't have to clean your case at all really. You do it for pride in a clean machine, and if you do a bit of work on the side building machines it helps to have a pristine rig to help build confidence in a potential customer. Some people go further than others. I know guys that make me look like a complete slob and there are others out there that make me look like I'm absurdly overkill. The bottom line is that what YOU personally feel is clean enough isn't a universal standard. Just because YOU cannot fathom why something might be important to someone else doesn't mean it's not important. I clearly and (initially) concisely explained why a fully modular power supply has benefits over a partially modular or non-modular unit. If that doesn't sit well with YOU, then I don't know what to tell you.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] So wrong if you use compressed air correctly you dont have to do a crap load of workRayvinAzn
You don't have to clean your case at all really. You do it for pride in a clean machine, and if you do a bit of work on the side building machines it helps to have a pristine rig to help build confidence in a potential customer. Some people go further than others. I know guys that make me look like a complete slob and there are others out there that make me look like I'm absurdly overkill. The bottom line is that what YOU personally feel is clean enough isn't a universal standard. Just because YOU cannot fathom why something might be important to someone else doesn't mean it's not important. I clearly and (initially) concisely explained why a fully modular power supply has benefits over a partially modular or non-modular unit. If that doesn't sit well with YOU, then I don't know what to tell you.

Dont get testy about it..... you only bring up cleaning and clean looking cabling as the only good point of having a fully modular psu when the fact remains that you can make a fully non modular psu look good also let alone a partially modular one clean it without issue.

RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RayvinAzn

Dont get testy about it..... you only bring up cleaning and clean looking cabling as the only good point of having a fully modular psu when the fact remains that you can make a fully non modular psu look good also let alone a partially modular one clean it without issue.

04dcarraher

Let's follow what exactly happened here then:

You say something is useless. I explain why it's not.

You say that YOU don't care about that therefore it's still useless without even addressing the issue.

I have to assume you're being obstinate on purpose simply because you (and many others here on these forums) hate being wrong. I'm not going to bother explaining myself again, but I do wish you'd re-think how much help you're really providing people here if "proving" your opinions right is more important than being correct.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] Dont get testy about it..... you only bring up cleaning and clean looking cabling as the only good point of having a fully modular psu when the fact remains that you can make a fully non modular psu look good also let alone a partially modular one clean it without issue.

RayvinAzn

Let's follow what exactly happened here then:

You say something is useless. I explain why it's not.

You say that YOU don't care about that therefore it's still useless without even addressing the issue.

I have to assume you're being obstinate on purpose simply because you (and many others here on these forums) hate being wrong. I'm not going to bother explaining myself again, but I do wish you'd re-think how much help you're really providing people here if "proving" your opinions right is more important than being correct.

For most people a fully modular psu vs semi modular is nonthing to worry about which is true but your example of why modular is better is "totally out there" in being nearly OCD. Needing modular for a clean perfect look, and ease of cleaning which is false. Your the one that became uoset.... just because of my opinion that I say the need of a fully modular psu isnt needed for the examples above.