6950 2GB or GTX 560 Ti?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

I'm planning on buying a new rig once the better P67 mobos start showing up on newegg, and have everything settled on except the GPU. I'm currently stuck between these two:

Sapphire 6950 2GB- $259.99 after MIR

MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II/OC- $249.99

Obviously the 6950 is the better deal (especially since I'd have the option to unlock it), but I'm a little concerned about temps and noise (it gets pretty hot here in the summer so the last thing I need is the GPU-equivalent of a space-heater, and reviews seem to be split between "the fan is perfectly fine" and "it sounds like a fighter jet taking off"), and since I'll "only" be playing at 1920x1080 I don't want to deal with those issues if all it'll net me is a few extra FPS.

Also, for whatever it's worth, I'm going with a Fractal Design Define R3 case and supposedly its better suited for rear-exhausting GPUs like the 6950 than open-air coolers like the 560.

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? Bueller?

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

my sapphire 6950 2GB is so quiet I can't hear it over any other components.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
I'd go with the GTX 560Ti... mostly cause I'm tired of using AMD stuff :/
ravenguard90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ravenguard90
Member since 2005 • 3064 Posts

If you OC, then you have two options:

If you can get a 6950 that can unlock to a 6970 succesfully, then get that one. Otherwise, the 560Ti is your best bet.

If you don't plan on OC'ing, then get the 6950 regardless of the unlockability.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

I can tell you this- My 560 Ti gets pretty hot, and it required me to change the fan profile so that it comes on pretty loud under load in most games. I have a Vanilla EVGA version. Not impressed with the cooler.

middle-earth88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 middle-earth88
Member since 2006 • 1262 Posts

I would get the 6950 due to the ability to unlock the shaders. It isn't worth much to be honest but there isn't much difference between the two cards.

patsfan217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 patsfan217
Member since 2009 • 146 Posts

Hey TC, have you considered getting a 560 ti factory OC'd when they come back in stock on newegg? They're about the same price as the 6950 2GB.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PBSnipes

If you OC, then you have two options:

If you can get a 6950 that can unlock to a 6970 succesfully, then get that one. Otherwise, the 560Ti is your best bet.

If you don't plan on OC'ing, then get the 6950 regardless of the unlockability.ravenguard90

I don't plan on OC'ing/unlocking right away, but I'd like to have the option available down the road.

I can tell you this- My 560 Ti gets pretty hot, and it required me to change the fan profile so that it comes on pretty loud under load in most games. I have a Vanilla EVGA version. Not impressed with the cooler.hartsickdiscipl

The MSI I'm looking at should have a better cooler than the EVGA one -- dual fans and some meaty heatpipes.

Hey TC, have you considered getting a 560 ti factory OC'd when they come back in stock on newegg? They're about the same price as the 6950 2GB.patsfan217

The one I'm looking at has a decent factory overclock (880Mhz); I assume you're referring to that obscene Gigabyte one at 1Ghz? I'd be worried about heat and noise (I know Tom's just did a round-up, so I can check that out), but if it's in stock when I order I'll definitely give it a look.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PBSnipes

Anyone else?

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

I would personally go with the 6950 because i get 30% discount on all amd stuff LOL.

cyanblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cyanblues
Member since 2004 • 312 Posts

6950 does MLAA if that matters to you

but given those prices i'd prob get the 6950 myself if i was looking

Kendog87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kendog87
Member since 2010 • 1111 Posts

The 6950 is the better deal if it unlocks. but im really happy with my MSI 560 TwinFrozr II temps are 28c idle 56c max load.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

I'm planning on buying a new rig once the better P67 mobos start showing up on newegg, and have everything settled on except the GPU. I'm currently stuck between these two:

Obviously the 6950 is the better deal (especially since I'd have the option to unlock it), but I'm a little concerned about temps and noise (it gets pretty hot here in the summer so the last thing I need is the GPU-equivalent of a space-heater, and reviews seem to be split between "the fan is perfectly fine" and "it sounds like a fighter jet taking off"), and since I'll "only" be playing at 1920x1080 I don't want to deal with those issues if all it'll net me is a few extra FPS.

Also, for whatever it's worth, I'm going with a Fractal Design Define R3 case and supposedly its better suited for rear-exhausting GPUs like the 6950 than open-air coolers like the 560.

PBSnipes

I prefer rear-exhausting GPUs. For LAN mobility,I plan to assemble Sliverstone SG07 gaming PC. My current SOHO PC toweris to heavy to be carried to a LAN party and it's a home server i.e. a media/document server the family.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

PBSnipes

I prefer rear-exhausting GPUs. For LAN mobility,I plan to assemble Sliverstone SG07 gaming PC. My current SOHO PC toweris to heavy to be carried to a LAN party and it's a home server i.e. a media/document server for the family.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"]

ronvalencia

I prefer rear-exhausting GPUs. For LAN mobility,I plan to assemble Sliverstone SG07 gaming PC. My current SOHO PC toweris to heavy to be carried to a LAN party and it's a home server i.e. a media/document server for the family.

Rear-exhausting GPU's overheat like crazy. Open-design GPUs stay really cool on idle and load. I have the Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB and I never go over 51* on load at 60% fan speed. I'd say, it makes a huge difference.
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"]

Elann2008

Rear-exhausting GPU's overheat like crazy. Open-design GPUs stay really cool on idle and load. I have the Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB and I never go over 51* on load at 60% fan speed. I'd say, it makes a huge difference.

The trade off is case heat, one that ports it out the back generally keeps your case cooler, of course if your running a gaming graphics card you should have a good cooling case.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#17 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

I can tell you this- My 560 Ti gets pretty hot, and it required me to change the fan profile so that it comes on pretty loud under load in most games. I have a Vanilla EVGA version. Not impressed with the cooler.

hartsickdiscipl

Should have bought a factory OCed version I guess....

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PBSnipes

For those of you who care (hint: none of you) I'm probably going to go with the 560. It's a bit cheaper (plus comes with a couple of free games), it's supposedly (according to bit-tech) pretty comparable to the 6950 performance-wise at 1920x1080, it should be cooler and quieter, and after not being thrilled with AMD/ATI on my last build (an Asus 4850) I'd rather give Nvidia a shot.

I'm also going with a different case (Antec P183), so rear-porting vs. open-air is a non-issue.

All that said, more recommendations are always welcome.