6850 fan spinning at 73% on default settings - what's wrong?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RuutuTootoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RuutuTootoo
Member since 2004 • 1100 Posts

Hey guys, I just purchased an XFX 6850 and upon installing it and the Catalyst 10.10 drivers, the video card fan spun up to 73% after the system restart. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers, but didn't solve anything. ATI Overdrive is not on, and nothing has been changed. The GPU is only at around 35 degrees celcius, so it's not as if the fan is trying to compensate for any heat. The only way I can lower the fan speed is to manually turn on overdrive/manual fan and set it down to something like 30%. I've never had this issue in the past with my other card, what could be happening?

Thanks for any advice and suggestions.

hitman6actual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 hitman6actual
Member since 2009 • 869 Posts

Hey guys, I just purchased an XFX 6850 and upon installing it and the Catalyst 10.10 drivers, the video card fan spun up to 73% after the system restart. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers, but didn't solve anything. ATI Overdrive is not on, and nothing has been changed. The GPU is only at around 35 degrees celcius, so it's not as if the fan is trying to compensate for any heat. The only way I can lower the fan speed is to manually turn on overdrive/manual fan and set it down to something like 30%. I've never had this issue in the past with my other card, what could be happening?

Thanks for any advice and suggestions.

RuutuTootoo
I don't really see what the issue is. It's slightly out of the ordinary for a GPU to keep a high fan speed after startup, if you haven't adjusted the fan speed at all, but you should be manually controlling the fan speed anyways. I leave mine @ 35% on idle and turn it up to 80% on load.
RuutuTootoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RuutuTootoo
Member since 2004 • 1100 Posts

I see. I always just assumed that the fan would auto-adjust based on the load it was under. But I changed it to 35% locked right now, and it's pretty inaudible. Thanks for your response :)

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11792 Posts

Many 6850s are being recalled is what I just read in another thread.