~$500 build - Web box with a bit of room for future upgrades

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 0

#1 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Hi all,

My girlfriend's computer (technically my computer...) gave it up yesterday, with the main problem being the video card. That and due to some of the noise it's putting out, I suspect the fan on the power supply is on its last legs. It's a seven year old Dell that's been on 24/7 since I got it, so while its near death is not unexpected it's still annoying.

Basically, I'm looking to put something together that will suffice as a general use box for her (web use, photo manipulation, music, movies, DVD burning), but that won't be too expensive and will have some leeway for future upgrading.

The motherboard selection is where I've been having most of the problem. There are a lot of motherboards out there, with few reviews for the lower end ones (onboard video, sound). If I get a decent motherboard with onboard video would it be possible to cram a cheap Celeron or Pentium D processor on there and replace that with a Core 2 Duo down the line? It'll never be a big gaming computer although I do have a spare 7600GS back home that will suffice for most stuff (as well as handle Aero, I guess) whenever I can get it out here.

Anyway, I was just looking for suggestions. So far I'm thinking Antec Sonata II for the case/power supply, 1GB of memory (not sure what brand or speed), a 320GB Seagate hard drive, and some sort of DVD+RW drive. Who knows on the motherboard and processor.

Thanks in advance. And as a warning, please don't link to Newegg. :P The $500 suggestion is in US dollars, but since I'm in Canada only sites like NCIX and Tigerdirect are useful (NCIX, preferably).

CPM_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 CPM_basic
Member since 2002 • 4247 Posts

Another website I would suggest you check out is www.directcanada.com

I order from either directcanada or tigerdirect depending on which one is cheaper.

aft_lizard01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 aft_lizard01
Member since 2005 • 2132 Posts

I tried but ncix totally sux for users, well compared to other sites, I created an account and everything wouldnt let me make a wishlist. I will try tigerdirect later.

DarthVaderNDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DarthVaderNDS
Member since 2005 • 1615 Posts
Hehe, I'm using a 8 year old dell right now, sad eh? Heres what I'd build. Pentium D 805 945 chipset motherboard 7600gs ddr2 533 2x512mb[corsair value or some other nice value brand] Does she really need 320gbs?[160 or a 250gb driveshould work just fine] I think they have dvd super multi drives which are like 40 ca.
BigD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 BigD
Member since 2002 • 2223 Posts
I'd go for a Socket 775 MB Intel G965 based board ($150 CDN), yeah integrated graphics suck but they will serve your purpose and when you have more cash you can add a nice DX10 card. Get a gig of DD2-667 2x512mb ($100 CDN) making sure that the MB you get has 4 ram slots so you can upgrade to 2 or 3 GB in the future. As for the cpu if you can't afford the E4300 ($220 CDN) then look at Pentium D 915 ($120 CDN).
Hope this helps.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DJ_Lae

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've priced out some parts:

-Intel G965 motherboard ($160CDN)
-Pentium D 915 ($120)
-2x512MB Corsair Value DDR2-667 ($100)
-320GB Seagate hard drive ($120CDN)
-LG DVD writer ($45)

Which is okay. Unfortunately, the case and Vista push it up to $800CDN, which is to the point where I start going "Hey, I might as well throw another hundred bucks at it for an E6300."

BigD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 BigD
Member since 2002 • 2223 Posts
Such is the nature of the PC, it is hard to build a good one cheap and upgrade makes the system that much better, but they add up in the end. At some point you just need to stick to your budget. If you know you're going to be upgrading this system in the future then I say going Pentium D is ok... I would plan an upgrade path that would go midrange DX10 card once both ATI and Nvidia have shipped their parts, Ram upgrade to 2 or 3GB, finally a Quad core CPU in 12-18 months. It will mean putting about another $500-800 into the system over the next 12 to 18 months. But in the end you should have a respectable gaming platform.
RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts
Gigabyte 965G motherboard ~$143 Pentium D price and model look good 1GB G.Skill DDR2 ~$85 - I chose a single stick over two 512 so you can add RAM later, and not use up all your DDR2 slots. Hard drive price looks about right, but are you sure you need all that space? Cut back to 250GB at least, and keep that hard drive under $100 CAD. DVD writer price looks right. Well, I saved you around $50 - not much you can do to push the budget down on that thing - maybe shop around for a cheaper case/power supply combo.
muppet1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 muppet1010
Member since 2006 • 5812 Posts
Such is the nature of the PC, it is hard to build a good one cheap and upgrade makes the system that much better, but they add up in the end. At some point you just need to stick to your budget. If you know you're going to be upgrading this system in the future then I say going Pentium D is ok... I would plan an upgrade path that would go midrange DX10 card once both ATI and Nvidia have shipped their parts, Ram upgrade to 2 or 3GB, finally a Quad core CPU in 12-18 months. It will mean putting about another $500-800 into the system over the next 12 to 18 months. But in the end you should have a respectable gaming platform. BigD
he doesnt want a gaming platform? Why not just have a look at ready-made(lol I know its not ready made but cant think right now) computers and aslong as its got a pci-e slot and a few ram slots you will be fine.???
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DJ_Lae

I caved yesterday, and decided that since I do have a budget I should just stick with it, and though it would be nice to do future upgrades, it's not essential.

With a bit of weaseling I managed to get an extra fifty bucks off a sale computer from the Compu Smart down the street. It's not my first choice, but for $530CDN I got a little budget Acer that's plenty for what my girlfriend needs - X2 3800, 1GB RAM, a 250GB hard drive, plus the usual stuff like a DVD writer and memory card reader.

It has a PCI-E slot so I can probably cram in that 7600GS if I replace the power supply. It's not very greedy, though, so maybe it'll run (the crappy included PS seems to be 300W, and there's only one hard drive and disc drive).

edit - there are also four RAM slots, which was more than I was expecting.

It's not ideal, but the price was right, and whenever I start picking out pieces myself I look at each part and constantly think "Well hey, that better part is only $20 more..." Then it just keeps adding up. :P

Thanks for the suggestions anyway, guys.

Cyborg-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Cyborg-21
Member since 2007 • 2700 Posts
The 7600GS requires a minimum of a 350W Power Supply, but it may work on the 300W.
crazytom49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 crazytom49
Member since 2006 • 755 Posts
The 7600GS requires a minimum of a 350W Power Supply, but it may work on the 300W.Cyborg-21
Yeah im running my agp one on a 280W cheapo psu... reckon it could handle a 7600gt? (which i may be getting as i RMA'd my 7600gs)
DarthVaderNDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DarthVaderNDS
Member since 2005 • 1615 Posts
[QUOTE="Cyborg-21"]The 7600GS requires a minimum of a 350W Power Supply, but it may work on the 300W.crazytom49
Yeah im running my agp one on a 280W cheapo psu... reckon it could handle a 7600gt? (which i may be getting as i RMA'd my 7600gs)

*laughs at your rig :) It's actually pretty good for XP games, nah I don't it could handle a gt without artifactin.