3 Upcoming Tactical/Modern/Military Shooters

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JAMullins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JAMullins
Member since 2003 • 582 Posts

Ground Branch

Developed by: Blackfoot Studios
Release Date:TBA 2008
Genre:Shooter

The story in Ground Branch opens with the expanding Chinese oil companies backing a guerrilla leader in Sumatra. The goal is the over throw of the West Sumatran government in order to allow China easier access to the massive oil strata discovered to the west of the country in Sumatran waters. Loss of communication with an advance Intel gathering team along with Guerrilla seizure of oil platforms and a bold move toward the capital of West Sumatra result in the CIA deployment of a Ground Branch 6 man team to gather intelligence and assess the situation in preparation for possible US Military intervention.

The Ground Branch Team enters the fray and the player begins a whirlwind experience where the battlefield evolves and the morality of right and wrong become a matter of choice. The gamer will chase a warlord and an elusive truth across a country while employing advanced techniques such as covert underwater scuba operations and high altitude parachuting techniques known as HALO to surprise a vastly superior enemy.

ArmA 2

Published by: *TBA
Developed by: Bohemia Interactive
Genre: First-Person Shooter

The next evolution in developer Bohemia Interactive's military endeavors. ArmA 2 is set in the near future, year 2009, in a fictional post soviet country called Chernarus. Players will be sent as members of a United States Marine Corps Force Recon squad to this country to prevent further civilian casualties and ensure ongoing stability there.

Arma 2 is based on the latest generation technology, offering large –scale game world, authentic and extremely detailed modern units, weapons, vehicles and enviroments, challenging single player and vast array of multiplayer options.

Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising

Published by: Codemasters
Developed by: Codemasters
Release Date:TBA 2009

Building on the original game's heritage, Operation Flashpoint 2 aims to deliver the most realistic modelling of conflict scenarios in a new contemporary theatre of war. By offering a multitude of military disciplines, gameplay delivers warfare more realistic and intense then ever before, while an extensive multiplayer component creates battles on an incredible scale. The game challenges a new generation of players to survive the chaos and rapidly evolving situations of military combat in a new and contemporary warzone.

I personally love tactical military shooters. There is little known information on Ground Branch but the development team have worked with the original Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six games with Red Storm. I expect Ground Branch to release sometime in 2009. ArmA 2's development team created Operation Flashpoint which was an amazing game at the time. Expect ArmA 2 to release late this year. Codemasters own the name Operation Flashpoint so they are making there own sequel based on the same engine as the racing game GRID. Expect Flashpoint 2 to release sometime in Spring 2009. Gamespot has no information for Ground Branch or ArmA 2 so hopefully they can add something soon.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Out of them the only one I'm anxiously waiting for is Operation Flashpoint 2.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
I'm trying to see if I enjoy these kind of games. I just bought the original ArmA.
JAMullins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JAMullins

Flashpoint 2 is my favorite out of the 3. I have the game GRID which uses the same engine that Flashpoint 2 is made. The graphics are amazing. I have seen a few Flashpoint 2 videos and they look great. I compair the graphics to that of Crysis.

Out of every game coming out between now and summer 09 I am looking forward to flashpoint 2 the most.

bedram793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#5 bedram793
Member since 2006 • 1741 Posts
^^^Yeah, out of all those the only one I'm looking forward to is Operation Flashpoint 2. The Cold War Crisis one was amazing.
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

Out of them the only one I'm anxiously waiting for is Operation Flashpoint 2.Treflis

That's the only one I have reservations about as it's going to be a multi platform release. Cant' see how they'll manage to be faithful to the original whilst still making the game controllable on one of those useless gamepads.

JAMullins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JAMullins

I'm trying to see if I enjoy these kind of games. I just bought the original ArmA.Wasdie

I got into Operation Flashpoint sometime in 2001. I bought the expansions Red Hammer and Resistance which I loved. The game is unlike any other. You can compair it to the origional Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six games. Online coop is great as well as TDM.

JAMullins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JAMullins

^^^Yeah, out of all those the only one I'm looking forward to is Operation Flashpoint 2. The Cold War Crisis one was amazing. bedram793

You never know. The old flashpoint game was developed by BI and now Flashpoint 2 is being made by Codemasters. Hopefully they will stick to what made Cold war Crisis a great game.

[QUOTE="Treflis"]Out of them the only one I'm anxiously waiting for is Operation Flashpoint 2.bogaty

That's the only one I have reservations about as it's going to be a multi platform release. Cant' see how they'll manage to be faithful to the original whilst still making the game controllable on one of those useless gamepads.

Yea hopefully they dont screw up.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Is there any proof Operation Flashpoint 2 will actually be a tactical military shooter?
Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts
How about Hell's Highway?
JAMullins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JAMullins

Is there any proof Operation Flashpoint 2 will actually be a tactical military shooter? GodLovesDead

nothing that has the exact title as tactical military shooter but even the original flashpoint was just considered a first-person shooter. from the looks of things it will be very tactical.

How about Hell's Highway?bangell99

Hells highway looks like a great game but I have changed the title to tactical/modern/military shooters. I am out of the whole WWII shooters after playing day of defeat, day of defeat source, call of duty 1+2, and all the metal of honor games.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Ground Branch sounds very interesting.
JAMullins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JAMullins

Ground Branch sounds very interesting.thusaha

I agree, if it is anything like the old Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six games then I am there. I loved those games until Ubi took them over and turned them into arcade games.

oscar530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 oscar530
Member since 2005 • 4430 Posts
hmm never heard of Ground Branch before
JAMullins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JAMullins

hmm never heard of Ground Branch beforeoscar530

yeah, very little info. http://www.blackfootstudios.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1084

JAMullins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JAMullins
BUMP
JAMullins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JAMullins
x2
Triptronic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Triptronic
Member since 2007 • 37 Posts
And u forgot AA 3.0
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bogaty
There's quite a bit of good info and an ongoing Q&A session between the developers of Ground Branch and the gaming community over at the www.simHQ.com forums
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
I'm anticipating all of them. I love tactical/sim shooters.
JAMullins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JAMullins

And u forgot AA 3.0Triptronic

I havent read anything on it in a while. Honestly didn't think it would release any time soon.

There's quite a bit of good info and an ongoing Q&A session between the developers of Ground Branch and the gaming community over at the www.simHQ.com forumsbogaty

nice thanks for the link

I'm anticipating all of them. I love tactical/sim shooters.inoperativeRS

After an update today expect ArmA 2 in Q1 09

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GodLovesDead

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]Is there any proof Operation Flashpoint 2 will actually be a tactical military shooter? JAMullins

nothing that has the exact title as tactical military shooter but even the original flashpoint was just considered a first-person shooter. from the looks of things it will be very tactical.

What looks point to it being tactical?

JAMullins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JAMullins
Operation Flashpoint 2 Promo
1:35 Operation Flashpoint: Soldier Simulation (as close as possible)
2:18 Flashpoint 2 Evolved from the original
2:45 Biggest Battles: Control 4 Platoons
3:10 PLA: most complex "tactically aware ID systems" that wants you dead
3:45 Authenticity
4:20 100GB of data from weapons manuals, "tactics manuals", performance...
6:00 We chose the island because it gave up a reasonably amount of diverse terrain...all offering us different "tactical challenges" for the player
6:40 There is many units all fighting with there own "tactically aware uai"
7:00 "Tactical" cover for you
7:10 Forces the player into certain "tactical choices"
7:55 Dynamic day and night cycle; this open up a whole other layer of "tactical challenges" "difference tactical environments"
straight from the horses mouth....
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GodLovesDead

Operation Flashpoint 2 Promo
1:35 Operation Flashpoint: Soldier Simulation (as close as possible)
2:18 Flashpoint 2 Evolved from the original
2:45 Biggest Battles: Control 4 Platoons
3:10 PLA: most complex "tactically aware ID systems" that wants you dead
3:45 Authenticity
4:20 100GB of data from weapons manuals, "tactics manuals", performance...
6:00 We chose the island because it gave up a reasonably amount of diverse terrain...all offering us different "tactical challenges" for the player
6:40 There is many units all fighting with there own "tactically aware uai"
7:00 "Tactical" cover for you
7:10 Forces the player into certain "tactical choices"
7:55 Dynamic day and night cycle; this open up a whole other layer of "tactical challenges" "difference tactical environments"
straight from the horses mouth....JAMullins

Well, let's just hope it's not all bull**** when the game actually comes out.

JAMullins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JAMullins
yea they are actually showing "code" at the leipzig game convention starting wednesday...
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bogaty

Blackfoot Studios just announced a second title in the works. In addition to the above-mentioned Ground Branch, they're also working on a new game called Sky Gods. It'll focus on Special Ops HALO parachute jumps and is designed not only as a sim, but also a training tool for the military.

PDF blurb about it here.

Candy-Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Candy-Star
Member since 2004 • 4378 Posts
Are these like all military focused? No urban stuff like swat?
pinneyapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 pinneyapple
Member since 2005 • 5566 Posts
Thread needs screenshots for the lazy, like me :P
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#29 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Out of them the only one I'm anxiously waiting for is Operation Flashpoint 2.Treflis

Exactly what i was going to say

therog2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 therog2
Member since 2003 • 465 Posts
I'm still waiting for Rainbow Six: Raven Shield 2 to be announced! :roll:

Come on! Bring back Rainbow Six!!! :cry:
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#31 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
No Killzone 2?!
Darrenmol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Darrenmol
Member since 2008 • 117 Posts

Cannot wait for operation flashoint 2. i was really pi*sed off when they said it would be released 2 years ago and it wasnt

Photobucket

SceaduHyrde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 SceaduHyrde
Member since 2008 • 113 Posts

Ground Branch

Developed by: Blackfoot Studios
Genre:Shooter

The story in Ground Branch opens with the expanding Chinese oil companies backing a guerrilla leader in Sumatra. The goal is the over throw of the West Sumatran government in order to allow China easier access to the massive oil strata discovered to the west of the country in Sumatran waters. Loss of communication with an advance Intel gathering team along with Guerrilla seizure of oil platforms and a bold move toward the capital of West Sumatra result in the CIA deployment of a Ground Branch 6 man team to gather intelligence and assess the situation in preparation for possible US Military intervention.

The Ground Branch Team enters the fray and the player begins a whirlwind experience where the battlefield evolves and the morality of right and wrong become a matter of choice. The gamer will chase a warlord and an elusive truth across a country while employing advanced techniques such as covert underwater scuba operations and high altitude parachuting techniques known as HALO to surprise a vastly superior enemy.

ArmA 2

Published by: *TBA
Developed by: Bohemia Interactive

The next evolution in developer Bohemia Interactive's military endeavors. ArmA 2 is set in the near future, year 2009, in a fictional post soviet country called Chernarus. Players will be sent as members of a United States Marine Corps Force Recon squad to this country to prevent further civilian casualties and ensure ongoing stability there.

Arma 2 is based on the latest generation technology, offering large –scale game world, authentic and extremely detailed modern units, weapons, vehicles and enviroments, challenging single player and vast array of multiplayer options.

Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising

Published by: Codemasters
Developed by: Codemasters
Release Date:TBA 2009

Building on the original game's heritage, Operation Flashpoint 2 aims to deliver the most realistic modelling of conflict scenarios in a new contemporary theatre of war. By offering a multitude of military disciplines, gameplay delivers warfare more realistic and intense then ever before, while an extensive multiplayer component creates battles on an incredible scale. The game challenges a new generation of players to survive the chaos and rapidly evolving situations of military combat in a new and contemporary warzone.

I personally love tactical military shooters. There is little known information on Ground Branch but the development team have worked with the original Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six games with Red Storm. I expect Ground Branch to release sometime in 2009. ArmA 2's development team created Operation Flashpoint which was an amazing game at the time. Expect ArmA 2 to release late this year. Codemasters own the name Operation Flashpoint so they are making there own sequel based on the same engine as the racing game GRID. Expect Flashpoint 2 to release sometime in Spring 2009. Gamespot has no information for Ground Branch or ArmA 2 so hopefully they can add something soon.

JAMullins
My comment is simply as .. THEY BLOW.
Artosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Artosa
Member since 2005 • 5063 Posts

No Killzone 2?!biggest_loser

what

gamerguy845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 gamerguy845
Member since 2007 • 2074 Posts

that's probably a good game, but I think the topic is mondern tactical shooters

fatzebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 fatzebra
Member since 2005 • 1470 Posts

WW2 =/= modern

Precyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Precyse
Member since 2007 • 487 Posts

Blackfoot Studios just announced a second title in the works. In addition to the above-mentioned Ground Branch, they're also working on a new game called Sky Gods. It'll focus on Special Ops HALO parachute jumps and is designed not only as a sim, but also a training tool for the military.

PDF blurb about it here.

bogaty

That sounds interesting, i'll be checking that out, i'm anticipting ofp2, didn't like arma it was horribly optimized which made it even more difficult to get a direct hit on enemy combatants.

Precyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Precyse
Member since 2007 • 487 Posts

Are these like all military focused? No urban stuff like swat?Candy-Star

I'm sure it'll have urban warfare seeing as how most of the worlds pop. live in cities.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Well Bohemia isnt making OFP2.

So im curious about AmrA2 vs OFP2.

regnumekal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 regnumekal
Member since 2006 • 122 Posts

skrat_01

Probably ArmA 2 > OFP 2 Even though the world in OFP 2 is more detailed, ArmA 2 looks much more realistic.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]

regnumekal

Probably ArmA 2 > OFP 2 Even though the world in OFP 2 is more detailed, ArmA 2 looks much more realistic.

Yeah im worried OFP will go down the path of GRAW.

Id much rather an authentic experience, hopefully Bohemia polish ArmA 2 a bit more.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="regnumekal"][QUOTE="skrat_01"]

skrat_01

Yeah im worried OFP will go down the path of GRAW.

Id much rather an authentic experience, hopefully Bohemia polish ArmA 2 a bit more.

I'm worried that it's going to happen, and everybody's giong to run to OFP2 because 'they liked the original' even if it's worse. :( I don't think Codemasters has any kind of illustrious history in doing realistic games justice, judging from GRiD at least. Great game, but the actual racing was kind of eek.
JAMullins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JAMullins

I loved the original. I want the game just like the next guy but I am going to play it smart and wait on reviews.

Bad reviews = no buy

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

I loved the original. I want the game just like the next guy but I am going to play it smart and wait on reviews.

Bad reviews = no buy

JAMullins
Yeah.. so I seriously don't get all the positive buzz for OFP2 so far. I guess I'm a bit of a downer on Codemasters, but so far they've shown us.. faked screenshot, CGI video, CGI video, and it looks like that last developer interview at Leipzig finally had some actual gameplay running on the TV behind him. Otherwise, we seriously know absolutely nothing about the game beyond what we'd hope it would be like and what they say, where they also said that GRiD was going to be a 'realistic racing simulation.' We know the engine can be ridiculously pretty, but that's about it.
JAMullins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JAMullins
[QUOTE="JAMullins"]

Bad reviews = no buy

Makari

Yeah.. so I seriously don't get all the positive buzz for OFP2 so far. I guess I'm a bit of a downer on Codemasters, but so far they've shown us.. faked screenshot, CGI video, CGI video, and it looks like that last developer interview at Leipzig finally had some actual gameplay running on the TV behind him. Otherwise, we seriously know absolutely nothing about the game beyond what we'd hope it would be like and what they say, where they also said that GRiD was going to be a 'realistic racing simulation.' We know the engine can be ridiculously pretty, but that's about it.

1up actually has the best preview so far... http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3169583&p=1

"

What's our take? At this point, it's a bit tough to say. The amount of detail onscreen seems impressive, but the game chugged along at an almost unplayable framerate. It's still very early in its development, though, so we'll surely see improvements in the months to come. Since it makes use of an original Codemasters engine called Ego, which is a modified version of the Neon engine that powers DiRT and GRID (which both look great), there's much less to worry about. But since it uses that engine, the game should look pretty consistent across all platforms. "It's always been really easy for developers to point to cross-platform development as an excuse for things not working or looking right, but that's just the lazy approach," says Lindop. "This is why we built this engine -- so we'd have games that look and play identical on all platforms."

Operation Flashpoint 2 comes out next spring. It's still too early to consider this a serious contender in the crowded military genre, but it's definitely one we'll be keeping an eye on."