This topic is locked from further discussion.

DooM_MerchanT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DooM_MerchanT
Member since 2009 • 105 Posts

I'm looking to buy a 32" 1080p TV and was wanting to know if it is worth spending the extra cash to get 100hz as well. Does this improve gaming images? And will be important for the next gen as I want this TV to be as 'futureproof' as possible. I've heard problems with lag but the "game mode" that comes with most TVs are meant to prevent it, do they? And can I switch off 100hz if it is causing problems.

Also I will be using this for DVD's and possibly blu-ray in the future - does that make it worth while?

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts
[QUOTE="DooM_MerchanT"]

I'm looking to buy a 32" 1080p TV and was wanting to know if it is worth spending the extra cash to get 100hz as well. Does this improve gaming images? And will be important for the next gen as I want this TV to be as 'futureproof' as possible. I've heard problems with lag but the "game mode" that comes with most TVs are meant to prevent it, do they? And can I switch off 100hz if it is causing problems.

Also I will be using this for DVD's and possibly blu-ray in the future - does that make it worth while?

Just so you know, DVD and Blu-Ray will not benefit from 100Hz because movies are shot at 24fps. and console game are usually 30fps, 60fps maximum. If you hook up a fast computer that can run games at 100fps then you'll get the benefit of it. Also if the TV has Motion+ mode (I think that's what Samsung calls it), which makes the video looks super smooth, it's kind of gimicky. What it does is if the source is less than 100Hz (or 120Hz) or whatever it is, it will guess all the frames it's missing, so it's not using actual video data it's just guessing and sometimes it's very noticeable because the motions don't look quite right. In my opinion the 120Hz is just marketing, you can't really take true advantage of it without a fast computer. I hate going to Best Buy and watching a Blu-Ray on a TV with Motion+, ruins it for me, I like the original 24Hz.
samosir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 samosir
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts
I play of my Playstation system console 2 (PS2) on of SDTV (really EDTV) which is of 100Hz and is nice... I don't know if very different to 100Hz on HDTV.
Khaine775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Khaine775
Member since 2005 • 8181 Posts

Saying movies don't benefit from 100Hz isn't true. I've got a Samsung 100Hz TV myself and when I watch Blu-ray movies I can see a HUGE difference when 100Hz is enabled. It is as if the picture gets a lot more clear and lots of the tiny little details, which Blu-ray gives you, gets much more clear when watching in 100Hz. Sure, it takes a movie or two to get used to the smoothness of the picture, but 100Hz is definately worth it!

miladesn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 miladesn2
Member since 2005 • 933 Posts
100Hz is required for games that support 3D glasses like the one from nvidia. If you want your purchase ti be future proof go for the 100Hz, right now is not needed.
Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Marfoo

Saying movies don't benefit from 100Hz isn't true. I've got a Samsung 100Hz TV myself and when I watch Blu-ray movies I can see a HUGE difference when 100Hz is enabled. It is as if the picture gets a lot more clear and lots of the tiny little details, which Blu-ray gives you, gets much more clear when watching in 100Hz. Sure, it takes a movie or two to get used to the smoothness of the picture, but 100Hz is definately worth it!

Khaine775
Majority of movies are filmed at 24Hz (NTSC) and 25Hz(PAL). Blu-Ray does not have 100Hz material on it, 100Hz mode on your TV uses an algorithm to guess frames, making it look like it's a higher framerate. This is a highly preferential feature. Blu-Ray will give you HD clarity, but 24Hz is what the film makers intended and what is on the Blu-Ray disc, which any TV will give you. To me watching a movie in 100Hz mode is bastardizing it's original format, kind of like watching a movie fullscreen. A noticeable difference, but preference is everything.
motherboop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 motherboop
Member since 2007 • 2382 Posts
In my opinion, you absolutely cannot go wrong with getting a TV thet is just 60Htz. Sony makes five different levels (and an eco-line). - Series S, V, W, Z, and XBR. Now take your standard S series, and compare it side by side with an XBR. Is there really that much of a difference between the two to warrant a price range from $899 (S) , to $2299 (XBR)? Sure the higher you go, the more bells and whistles you get, which is nice, but not always necessary. Those who fall for the future-proof sales pitch are exactly the type of consumers they're marketing to. SImply put, if you'll be using it for just your everyday gaming/TV/BD/PC usage, the lower-end models should be more than sufficient. I am glad you're looking at Sony TV's though, as their quality control on their flat-panels is on point. Whether you go with 60 or 120 Htz, you can't go wrong with the Sony brand when it comes to TV's.
Rusteater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Rusteater
Member since 2004 • 4080 Posts

[QUOTE="Khaine775"]

Marfoo

Majority of movies are filmed at 24Hz (NTSC) and 25Hz(PAL). Blu-Ray does not have 100Hz material on it, 100Hz mode on your TV uses an algorithm to guess frames, making it look like it's a higher framerate. This is a highly preferential feature. Blu-Ray will give you HD clarity, but 24Hz is what the film makers intended and what is on the Blu-Ray disc, which any TV will give you. To me watching a movie in 100Hz mode is bastardizing it's original format, kind of like watching a movie fullscreen. A noticeable difference, but preference is everything.

120/100Hz does give an improvement over 60/50Hz with 24/25Hz material.

120 is evenly dividedable by 24, giving you a nice even 5:5 pulldown. Same with 100Hz. 24 does not go into 60 evenly and gives you an uneven 3:2 pulldown creating judder. 120Hz elminates judder.

The "bastardizing" that you are refering to comes from AMP or motionflow technologies. Simply turn them off when watching a movie. Your movies still look very much like movies and NOT like soap operas or direct to video shot.

I am somewhat of a film nut and I do own a 120Hz TV. I bought it when when 120Hz first became available. If that technology would have ruined or changed the viewing experience of movies then I would never have bought it.

AMP and Motionflow really shine when watching sports or playing games. It gives you a very smooth almost 3D effect. It's great.

I would suggest visiting the AVS Forums to do research on all this stuff.

stele29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 stele29
Member since 2008 • 551 Posts

Actually 120hz (or 120 updates/sec) is not just a gimic. I used to think it was silly also until i did some research. At 24fps, 3:2 pulldown is still an issue. Next time your watching a movie at 24 fps and the movie pans ina particular direction and you get hitching, you'll understand what I mean. Tearing is not the only graphic anomaly that benefits from higher refresh. When a tv has 120hz, all video is displayed at 120hz, regardless of what the signal feeds, thus all moving pictures benefit directly. When your blu-ray player frame limits to 24 fps, yoru tv is still doing 120...it is simply repeating the necessary frames. All LCDs run at their native refresh at all times...120hz televisions are no exception.

They are even talking about bring 240hz displays within the next 5 years. I just hope they drop the hz. It represents an analog signal, and has no relevance with LCDs.

stele29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 stele29

I correct my statement, 240hz tvs are on sale now. Just a bit on the expensive side.

motherboop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 motherboop
Member since 2007 • 2382 Posts
Plasma's run up to 600htz now, don't they?
Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Marfoo
[QUOTE="Rusteater"]

[QUOTE="Marfoo"][QUOTE="Khaine775"]

120/100Hz does give an improvement over 60/50Hz with 24/25Hz material.

120 is evenly dividedable by 24, giving you a nice even 5:5 pulldown. Same with 100Hz. 24 does not go into 60 evenly and gives you an uneven 3:2 pulldown creating judder. 120Hz elminates judder.

The "bastardizing" that you are refering to comes from AMP or motionflow technologies. Simply turn them off when watching a movie. Your movies still look very much like movies and NOT like soap operas or direct to video shot.

I am somewhat of a film nut and I do own a 120Hz TV. I bought it when when 120Hz first became available. If that technology would have ruined or changed the viewing experience of movies then I would never have bought it.

AMP and Motionflow really shine when watching sports or playing games. It gives you a very smooth almost 3D effect. It's great.

I would suggest visiting the AVS Forums to do research on all this stuff.

I understand everything you just said there and I agree 100%. It's a good point that 24Hz goes into 120Hz evenly. The bastardizing mode I was referring to was the AMP/Motionflow/Motion+ that for me ruins movies and I'm aware it can be turned off. My point was that 100Hz or 120Hz isn't really a feature you should be concerned about when it comes to futureproofing, but was "preferential" (like you said for sports and games). My point was that a 60Hz TV wasn't necessarily going to handicap you in anyway and the features associated with 120Hz are a matter of taste (except for 24 going into evenly).
stele29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 stele29

I think the big thing to focus on here is that 120hz is not a "feature" that you can turn on and off. If it is doing its job right, you should zero difference in still image quality between it and 60hz. Only when the image is moving should there be a difference, which the 120hz screen being more fluid. Modes like AMP and Motionflow are crap in my opinion and don't really help anything, just like the features on my tv that boost the contrast ratio to that of the sun. There is also a reduction of blur simply from the fact that their are twice as many screen updates than before.

If your one of those people that don't notice a difference between a blu-ray and a dvd playing on a 1080P tv, then your a person then wouldn't notice the overall increase in viewability that 120hz adds. As for myself, a person who has appceciated what V-sync has done for my games since its inception, am excited at the prospect of 120hz computer screens (yes they are out now) and beyond. And next time I fire up (insert random PS3,360 game) and start get tearing and jitter, I will appreciate 120hz screens then to.

Have a nice day!