1 Good GPU vs 2 mid range GPUs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Sacif (1830 posts) -

I am getting ready to do a new build. My old build has lasted and it was before SLi and Crossfire stuff became as mainstream as it is today. Now I am weighing my options on what to do in regards to the GPU. I love the idea of using 2 cards, however I am wanting to stay within a reasonable price range. So would I get better performance from 1 really nice GPU or from using 2 mid range GPUs?

Any suggestions or reccomendations are welcome.

#2 Posted by 04dcarraher (20707 posts) -
Getting a GTX 460 now and then another one later will provide beter performance then a GTX 480 while costing less.
#3 Posted by osan0 (13154 posts) -
i always go for the one strong GPU. there are certain conditions where 2 mid range GPUs will give better performance (2 460s are animals i hear) but i prefer the reliability and consistency that a single GPU brings. with SLI and crossfire your relying on profile and driver support and devs dont necessarily go out of their way to make use of it (crysis for example doesnt seem to benefit much from it last i heard).
#4 Posted by Sacif (1830 posts) -

i always go for the one strong GPU. there are certain conditions where 2 mid range GPUs will give better performance (2 460s are animals i hear) but i prefer the reliability and consistency that a single GPU brings. with SLI and crossfire your relying on profile and driver support and devs dont necessarily go out of their way to make use of it (crysis for example doesnt seem to benefit much from it last i heard).osan0

I had heard that one was more reliable as well. Which is why i decided to raise this question to get some personal input from those who have tried both. I have also heard that they are starting to develop dual GPU cards which makes more sense to me than using two seperate pieces of hardware to perform 1 function.

#5 Posted by SoraX64 (29221 posts) -
Get a good one now, and wait for price drops before getting a second one. That seems like a good idea. :P
#6 Posted by d-rtyboy (3178 posts) -
On top of the stability issue, there are games out there that just don't support SLI/Crossfire at all. It really depends on the game you want to play. Best bet would be to get a board that's SLI capable as there's no real performance loss that I'm aware of between SLI/non-SLI motherboards. It really boils down to what your budget is.
#7 Posted by gameguy6700 (12197 posts) -
Always go for one card when you have the option available. It's just a lot less hassle, especially when it comes to game comparability (crossfire and SLI support tends to be an afterthought for most devs and as a result users of those types of systems run into a lot of bugs and performance issues). Not only that but you save a slot or two and the power requirements and heat generation are usually less with one card than two.
#8 Posted by Sacif (1830 posts) -

Right on, thank you all for your input. Once I get get done with this build I will post some pics :D Im using a Thermaltake Tsunami case a buddy still had new in the box. One of the slickest cheap cases I had seen in a long time.