0 A.D. (similar to Age of Empires): New alpha out, indiegogo campaign

This topic is locked from further discussion.

G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

Might be interesting to anyone who wishes there was a new alternative to Age of Empires and Empire Earth.

0 AD

It's a free, open-source, cross-platform project that has been in development for a while now. You can download the latest alpha for Windows, Mac or Linux here:

http://play0ad.com/download/

It is still not fully playable, but the project is very promising imo. They also try to raise some funds to accelerate the progress via an indiegogo campaign:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/support-0-a-d-an-open-source-strategy-game

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
When the project is fully playable then I'll try it. I won't get my hopes up until then.
Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts

When the project is fully playable then I'll try it. I won't get my hopes up until then.Rattlesnake_8

Same, and if it was Kickstarter I may have contributed, but I'm not creating yet another damn account for one thing.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
Glad that you posted this, G-Lord. The campaign deserves all the attention it can get.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45989 Posts

This game gets better with each new alpha. And they have a cool way to name their alphas.

But it still has a long way to go.

G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 G-Lord

@Hexagon_777 and R4gn4r0k: Thanks for the positive comments. I was a bit disappointed that noone seemed to care about the project first. I'm always excited to read news about this project and I hope that they get the game into a playable state soon.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hexagon_777

When the project is fully playable then I'll try it. I won't get my hopes up until then.Rattlesnake_8
Fully playable? You can play it right now. It's quite playable. See what the developers have achieved so far, then see where they are going. I am quite content.

gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts
This has been in development for so long wish they would just do a kick starter and go full time with this.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hexagon_777

@Hexagon_777 and R4gn4r0k: Thanks for the positive comments. I was a bit disappointed that noone seemed to care about the project first. I'm always excited to read news about this project and I hope that they get the game into a playable state soon.

G-Lord

I don't know what you mean by "a playable state" as I have been playing the game just fine. It's remarkably stable for an alpha. Yea, people here don't seem to get as excited over FOSS games unfortunately. I would be astounded if FOSS games ranked higher here than Faceblook games using Flash.

:P

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#10 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

[QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"]When the project is fully playable then I'll try it. I won't get my hopes up until then.Hexagon_777

Fully playable? You can play it right now. It's quite playable. See what the developers have achieved so far, then see where they are going. I am quite content.

The tc said it wasn't "fully playable".. I'll check it out when I have time since you say it is actually playable.
G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 G-Lord

[QUOTE="G-Lord"]

Hexagon_777

I don't know what you mean by "a playable state" as I have been playing the game just fine. It's remarkably stable for an alpha. Yea, people here don't seem to get as excited over FOSS games unfortunately. I would be astounded if FOSS games ranked higher here than Faceblook games using Flash.

Well it is quite playable for a while, but the performance breaks down as your civilization grows. I tried a multiplayer game with a friend once, and we had to stop because of that. But I was glad to read that they are actively working on the performance right now.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hexagon_777

This has been in development for so long wish they would just do a kick starter and go full time with this.gunmaster55555
That is eactly what they are doing, except with Indiegogo.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k

G-Lord

Thank you for making this thread and giving more attention to this game, it definitely deserves it. This is a great project launched from their love of historical RTS like AOE. :)

Hexagon_777

What bugs me about 0 AD (or the last alpha I played) were the sounds and voice acting. Those need a lot of improvement. I love how in AOE every civ has their own language and how they tried to use ancient words or sounds. With 0 AD it just sounded weird to me when I ordered a unit to do something. 

G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 G-Lord

What bugs me about 0 AD (or the last alpha I played) were the sounds and voice acting. Those need a lot of improvement. I love how in AOE every civ has their own language and how they tried to use ancient words or sounds. With 0 AD it just sounded weird to me when I ordered a unit to do something. 

R4gn4r0k

I totally agree with the voice acting. I won't forget the LAN party where me and my friends found out that the Swiss units in AoE3 actually speak in Swiss dialect ;).

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

G-Lord

I totally agree with the voice acting. I won't forget the LAN party where me and my friends found out that the Swiss units in AoE3 actually speak in Swiss dialect ;).

I'll need to look into that. I am seemingly not as well versed in history as you two are, so any Neanderthal grunt will do it for me. :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k

[QUOTE="G-Lord"]

Hexagon_777

I'll need to look into that. I am seemingly not as well versed in history as you two are, so any Neanderthal grunt will do it for me. :P

It's not just about historical accuracy to me. In AOE3 the Dutch spoke a modern version of Dutch while the English spoke some kind of interpretation of how English would've sounded like in those days.

It's just really cool that each nationality and civ has their own sound, which sets them apart from the others besides the gameplay and unit differences.

CommandoAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 CommandoAgent
Member since 2005 • 1703 Posts

i played the alpha version of it last year i have to say it does look very promising.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hexagon_777

i played the alpha version of it last year i have to say it does look very promising.

CommandoAgent

Have you played any recent alphas then? It's only getting better. :)

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
Is it...fun?
CommandoAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CommandoAgent
Is it...fun?Gamesterpheonix
You do know that question is rather ugh just odd right?
gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gigatrainer
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts
How're the graphics?
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R4gn4r0k

How're the graphics?gigatrainer

Great. Their engine is pretty impressive for having like 0 budget and made by people who do it all for free. Here is a screenshot:

screenshot0072.jpg

CommandoAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CommandoAgent

[QUOTE="gigatrainer"]How're the graphics?R4gn4r0k

Great. Their engine is pretty impressive for having like 0 budget and made by people who do it all for free. Here is a screenshot:

screenshot0072.jpg

wow now thats quite of an progress of the engine, very impressive, they remind me of the Age of Empire 3 graphics in a way at least.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k

wow now thats quite of an progress of the engine, very impressive, they remind me of the Age of Empire 3 graphics in a way at least. CommandoAgent

Yeah it looks very similair to AOE 3, which is still a great looking game to this date.

I think with each new alpha they add new effects to their engine which makes it look better and better.

Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gamesterpheonix
[QUOTE="Gamesterpheonix"]Is it...fun?CommandoAgent
You do know that question is rather ugh just odd right?

lol eh, opinions mean SOMETHING. Even if I might like it more or less than you. Id still like to know how others feel about it.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 R4gn4r0k

lol eh, opinions mean SOMETHING. Even if I might like it more or less than you. Id still like to know how others feel about it. Gamesterpheonix

Do you like base building RTS ?

Do you like games like Age of Empires ?

If you answered 'yes' to any of these questions than you will have fun with 0 A.D. ;)

Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gamesterpheonix

[QUOTE="Gamesterpheonix"]lol eh, opinions mean SOMETHING. Even if I might like it more or less than you. Id still like to know how others feel about it. R4gn4r0k

Do you like base building RTS ?

Do you like games like Age of Empires ?

If you answered 'yes' to any of these questions than you will have fun with 0 A.D. ;)

lol already downloaded. Will give it a go.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hexagon_777

Is it...fun?Gamesterpheonix
I'll quote someone who I deem very smart:
Have a try, don't be shy!A smart person

Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gamesterpheonix

[QUOTE="Gamesterpheonix"]Is it...fun?Hexagon_777

And I quote an illiterate who cant read other posts. *rolls eyes* go troll your mom.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="Gamesterpheonix"]Is it...fun?Gamesterpheonix

And I quote an illiterate who cant read other posts. *rolls eyes* go troll your mom.

Wait, what? :? WTF is wrong with you?

gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gigatrainer
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts

[QUOTE="gigatrainer"]How're the graphics?R4gn4r0k

screenshot0072.jpg

Okay, that's not bad actually. I'll give it a shot when I have some time :D, thanks!
G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 G-Lord

For anyone interested: there has been a new video on the indiegogo page or directly on Youtube:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/support-0-a-d-an-open-source-strategy-game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXDxXGTzIf4&feature=player_embedded#t=151

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23806 Posts

I tried the beta, I am not very good at it yet though. But I am getting there.

Is there any way to select idle villagers and select your troops?

Edit: Would probably back, but my credit card doesnt like crowdfunding all that much.