Splinter Cell: Blacklist QUESTIONS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Just a few quick questions:

- Steam:  does anyone know if Blacklist is a Steamworks game?  As in if I buy retail do I need Steam?

- Co-op:  I've played all the Splinter Cells (SP Campaigns) but never had a reliable internet connection till now for Co-op.  I have a friend who is getting it too and we are planning on doing the co-op missions.  Now, are these misssions an extension to the SP Campaign or just random?   Should I play the SP Campaign first?

- Chat:  since we are going to play together, my friend and I need something to chat with.  I don't want to use Skype because it uses too much bandwidth (constant on).  What's the best gaming chat program out there?

- Story:  Does Blacklist happen AFTER Conviciton?  I'm confused because Sam looks younger.  And if so, why is he back working since he had become a fugitive in Conviction?

Thanks

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#2 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
It is not Steamworks, not sure about the other questions.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
It is not Steamworks, not sure about the other questions. nutcrackr
Thanks. Wikkipedia has answered the Story question for anyone else wondering: Plot Following the events of Splinter Cell: Conviction, Patricia Caldwell, the President of the United States, shuts down the corrupt Third Echelon and replaces it with a new special operations and counter-terrorism unit called Fourth Echelon a team of elite operatives drawn from different agencies, who operate in a mobile environment and perform missions assigned directly by the Commander in Chief, led by former Third Echelon agent Sam Fisher. When a group of twelve terrorists calling themselves "The Engineers" initiate a deadly countdown of escalating attacks on United States assets called "The Blacklist", Fisher and his team are assigned to hunt them down and stop the Blacklist countdown before it reaches zero. Characters Blacklist again stars Sam Fisher, who is now the spymaster and commander of the newly instated Fourth Echelon. The game also sees the return of Fisher's old ally, Anna 'Grim' Grímsdóttir, along with new characters such as Isaac Briggs and Charlie Cole. Victor Coste and Andriy Kobin reprise their roles from Conviction.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Since its an Ubisoft title, I'm sure it'll require UPlay, not Steam.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

It's not Steamworks if you get it at retail. You'll have to use uPlay (which you probably would have to use even with the Steam version.)

Co-op is separate from the main story in all Splinter Cell games I think. I would go through the campaign first though to avoid any possible spoilers and to get used to the game.

Dolby Axon is completely free and you don't have to worry about servers. Instead you have groups which I think are P2P based. You do have to get an account but it's pretty amazing. It's what I use with all my friends now. Recommend turning the audio from surround to mono though, or else you'll get some random issues with it. Blacklist might have built-in chat as well.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

- Steam:  does anyone know if Blacklist is a Steamworks game?  As in if I buy retail do I need Steam?

- Co-op:  I've played all the Splinter Cells (SP Campaigns) but never had a reliable internet connection till now for Co-op.  I have a friend who is getting it too and we are planning on doing the co-op missions.  Now, are these misssions an extension to the SP Campaign or just random?   Should I play the SP Campaign first?

- Chat:  since we are going to play together, my friend and I need something to chat with.  I don't want to use Skype because it uses too much bandwidth (constant on).  What's the best gaming chat program out there?

- Story:  Does Blacklist happen AFTER Conviciton?  I'm confused because Sam looks younger.  And if so, why is he back working since he had become a fugitive in Conviction?

Thanks

FelipeInside

-The game uses Uplay, it does not use steamworks.

-The game will have a hub which will allow you to access campaign and side missions through different characters. A lot of the side missions can be played with a partner. There is also co-op exclusive missions that are given by one of the characters

-Can't help you there

-The game takes place after Conviction. They got a younger voice actor and motion capture artist for blacklist. The result was a younger looking Sam to make the voice and movements a bit more consistent. Third Echelon is disbanded in Blacklist, Sam creates Forth Echelon and travels around the globe in a paladin aircraft answering personally to the President. 

Maverick6585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Maverick6585
Member since 2013 • 220 Posts

Thanks

FelipeInside
The whole younger thing is a little bit weird. The story happens after Conviction, but it's still kind of a reboot, hence the new voice actor and motion capture.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#8 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts
The whole younger thing is a little bit weird. The story happens after Conviction, but it's still kind of a reboot, hence the new voice actor and motion capture. Maverick6585
They need to stop trying to fit these games into an overall storyline... TBH most series like this need to take the James Bond approach.