no more good rts games for multiplayer

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

masterbreti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 masterbreti
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

it might be jsut me but i cannot for the life of me find a rts with a growing active, competitive rts game. there just doesn't seem to be one. i am looking for one with ladders and tournaments and the like, but no rts currently has stuff like that cnc3 had it but since cnc4 came out its been dead. supcom i know has one currently coming up but i was hoping for more than one tournament a year.

anyone have suggestions, i'm open to everything except blizzcrap games, i wouldn't even call them rts games tbh

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Everyone's too busy playing Starcraft 2 to be honest.
Nino_ze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Nino_ze
Member since 2008 • 368 Posts
Civilization is good game, although not a RTS, or try Warhammer 40k DoW 1&2.
masterbreti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 masterbreti

i have dow but the community is very small nowadays. civ i have tried and the multiplayer is horrid in my opinion. i'm mainly just looking for a game to play as multiplayer, as that gives me the most content per dollar i spend. but i want a huge tournament community, with the whole nine yards. not a game that is struggling to keep 20 players active online

Nino_ze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nino_ze
Member since 2008 • 368 Posts
then have you tried battle arena games, like League of Legends, Heroes of Nemerith, games like DotA, and both great communities, and just recently LoL has been promoted to WCG
ventnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ventnor
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

League of Legends.

masterbreti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 masterbreti

well i was looking for more of the resource mangement rts style games, also ones like the total war series, i don'twant blizzard games, or games based off blizzard games if thats possible.

i've tried playing something in the range of 30 different rts games online, and none seem to have a community, much less one with tournaments and ladders and so forth

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Men of War / Company of Heroes / Supreme Commander (small but dedicated) / Dawn of War (1/2) / World in Conflict. More I can't think of. Want a good free one? Company of Heroes Online - it's in beta at the moment. Personally Men of War is absolutely superb playing with friends, co-op especially.
the_mitch28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 the_mitch28
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

anyone have suggestions, i'm open to everything except blizzcrap games, i wouldn't even call them rts games tbh

masterbreti

wait... what?

Don't have a very firm grasp on the genre there I see.

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

[QUOTE="masterbreti"]

the_mitch28

wait... what?

Don't have a very firm grasp on the genre there I see.

Due His number of post and nickname, I think that Halo Wars fits perfeclty with the kind of experience He's asking for.

ucme4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ucme4k
Member since 2010 • 100 Posts

it might be jsut me but i cannot for the life of me find a rts with a growing active, competitive rts game. there just doesn't seem to be one. i am looking for one with ladders and tournaments and the like, but no rts currently has stuff like that cnc3 had it but since cnc4 came out its been dead. supcom i know has one currently coming up but i was hoping for more than one tournament a year.

masterbreti

HON

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

masterbreti
WOW Blizzard hatred - I hate WoW myself but Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo series are excellent; Anyhow - go for RUSE it's great multiplayer RTS
ucme4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ucme4k
[QUOTE="masterbreti"]

PredatorRules
WOW Blizzard hatred - I hate WoW myself but Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo series are excellent; Anyhow - go for RUSE it's great multiplayer RTS

Starcraft and warcraft 3 are great, but i found diablo 2 to be decent at best. Anyway after what blizzard did to their fanbase( thanks to activision merge), they are more then entitled to hate on them.
kazakauskas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kazakauskas
Member since 2008 • 1332 Posts

[QUOTE="PredatorRules"][QUOTE="masterbreti"]

ucme4k

Starcraft and warcraft 3 are great, but i found diablo 2 to be decent at best. Anyway after what blizzard did to their fanbase( thanks to activision merge), they are more then entitled to hate on them.

I could wirte you a 1000 work essay why D2 is great and not just another hackn slash rpg :D j/k . i find i great , other dont

Now about hate for blizz games... well TC you basicaly want sc2 , but dont want sc2... Only RTS game witch has insane big turneys is SC/SC2 and huge online community witch will be for years plus you get most content for your buck (as there will be ton of costume content) .. anyways...

One thing is odd to me , you make accaunt just to say that you want rts game but you must add "blizzcrap" in your 1st post too... Imo this is just poor trolling atempt , because you just coudve said that you didnt like/want SC .

masterbreti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 masterbreti

ok, i have been playing rts games since 03 with AOE 2, so there goes anyones idea of not knowing the genre.

in aspect to my hate of blizz games, well it seems sometimes the only thing everyone suggests is either wc or sc or sc2, so i put it bluntly that the games are horrible and i want nothing to do with them. in regards to diablo, tbh i didn't play the game for very long, but in my opinionit wasn't very good. i am not trying to troll, just trying to find a game. and honestly if you look, i have had this account since feburary, but rarely use it.

in regards to halo wars, i found it a perfectly dumbed down rts, it was to simple and easy to win. also i found world in conflict to be less of what i want, its a good game, but not what i am looking for. in regards to my user name since it has master in it, its a reference to bretoinnia, a race in warhammer, which i played for many years, i used the nickname on one warhammer forum, and it has stuck since.

cnc 3 and 4 look good, but i don't see many tournaments for 3 and 4 had bad reviews. supreme commander 1 and 2 both look awesome, but again they lack that tournament and competitive community.

in terms of what i have played and enjoyed but have no online community.

age of empires 2 and 3

empire: total war

rise of nations

age of mythology

dawn of war

praetorians

lotr: bfme2

medieval 2: total war

mroe suggestions wuold be amazing. thanks so far for those who have answered

ucme4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ucme4k
You could try sins of a solar empire and its expansions.
kazakauskas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kazakauskas
Member since 2008 • 1332 Posts

You could try sins of a solar empire and its expansions.ucme4k

Indeed , this is a great game , but game can take few days if not more to finish (big game i mean , you can play small maps too )

masterbreti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 masterbreti

i'm looking at a few of the game metioned, but none seem to stike my eye.

any more suggestions to what i am looking for. thanks

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

I'll echo the Heroes of Newerth suggestion. Think of defense of the ancients but with infrastructure built specifically for tournaments, being a competitive game and only carrying a $30 pricetag. If you haven't played dota the game is basically a tower defense where you control 1 guy with 4 teammates that fight a battle over 3 portions of the map against 5 others to get towers and eventually the main base. Sounds simple but really complex when you factor everything into it. Wouldn't suggest LoL at all if you want a real competitive game, its more of a play on and off sort of game with no real competitive backing yet as the infrastructure isnt there (no replays, spectator mode is a hacked 6v6, and no voice chat in game).

masterbreti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 masterbreti

i have been looking at both lol and hon, but they don't don't honestly look appealign to me, i'm looking for something thats is an rts, not a rpg with a little rts in there.

sorry if i am being picky, i just haven't found what i am looking for

ucme4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ucme4k

i have been looking at both lol and hon, but they don't don't honestly look appealign to me, i'm looking for something thats is an rts, not a rpg with a little rts in there.

sorry if i am being picky, i just haven't found what i am looking for

masterbreti
Have you tried sins of a solar empire and its expansions yet?
ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
Starcraft 2 is exactly what you want. But since you have the fanboy googles glued to your face there's no point...
simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

Oh my god, stop suggesting Heroes of Newerth and League of Legends... they aren't f***ing RTS...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-6243ee9902175

Oh my god, stop suggesting Heroes of Newerth and League of Legends... they aren't f***ing RTS...

simardbrad

Wikipedia:

"Heroes of Newerth, or "HoN", is an action real-time strategy video game published and developed by S2 Games based on the Warcraft III scenario Defense of the Ancients[2]. HoN, like Defense of the Ancients, is widely recognized as a competitive game and tournaments with money prizes are regularly organized and held for it."

masterbreti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 masterbreti

i am looking at sins of a solar empire, but honestly, it doesn't look appealing to me, the whole space comabt thing looks to be not my cup of tea.

and about the fan googles, i'm not sure what your going by with this, but i am no fan of sc2 or sc.

masterbreti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 masterbreti
also i don't consider hon or lol or even dota to be rts games, they are lobby based rpg games with rts elements. and honestly they are not what i am looking for. sorry to be picky, and agin thnks for the suggestions so far
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts
[QUOTE="masterbreti"]also i don't consider hon or lol or even dota to be rts games, they are lobby based rpg games with rts elements. and honestly they are not what i am looking for. sorry to be picky, and agin thnks for the suggestions so far

what about RUSE?
NLahren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#28 NLahren
Member since 2009 • 1927 Posts
dow 2 should be the best choice or sc 2
ucme4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ucme4k
[QUOTE="masterbreti"]also i don't consider hon or lol or even dota to be rts games, they are lobby based rpg games with rts elements. and honestly they are not what i am looking for. sorry to be picky, and agin thnks for the suggestions so far

What about battleforge?
simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

[QUOTE="simardbrad"]

Whiteblade999

Wikipedia:

"Heroes of Newerth, or "HoN", is an action real-time strategy video game published and developed by S2 Games based on the Warcraft III scenario Defense of the Ancients[2]. HoN, like Defense of the Ancients, is widely recognized as a competitive game and tournaments with money prizes are regularly organized and held for it."

I can give two **** what Wikipedia says... that article was obviously written by somebody who doesn't know what an RTS is. You control one unit for god's sake...

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts

[QUOTE="simardbrad"]

Whiteblade999

Wikipedia:

Wikipedia, how would anyone ever refute such a credible source?
ucme4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ucme4k

[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

[QUOTE="simardbrad"]

simardbrad

Wikipedia:

I can give two **** what Wikipedia says... that article was obviously written by somebody who doesn't know what an RTS is. You control one unit for god's sake...

What does controlling 1 unit have to do with that? "A strategy game or strategic game is a game (e.g. computer, video or board game) in which the players' decision-making skills have a high significance in determining the outcome." It is a strategy game with rpg elements. What u are talking about are 4X strategy games they are a sub-genre of strategy games.
masterbreti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 masterbreti

i have the orignal dow, but i heard dow 2 is not as good, and it doesn't seem that there is a tournament following for the game

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KHAndAnime

i have the orignal dow, but i heard dow 2 is not as good, and it doesn't seem that there is a tournament following for the game

masterbreti
Dawn of War 2 is good and has a very competitive following.
Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vfanek
[QUOTE="simardbrad"]

[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

Wikipedia:

ucme4k

What does controlling 1 unit have to do with that? "A strategy game or strategic game is a game (e.g. computer, video or board game) in which the players' decision-making skills have a high significance in determining the outcome." It is a strategy game with rpg elements. What u are talking about are 4X strategy games they are a sub-genre of strategy games.

So every game ever is a strategy game?
ucme4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ucme4k

[QUOTE="ucme4k"][QUOTE="simardbrad"]

Vfanek

You missed the part "decision-making skills have a high significance in determining the outcome.".

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Vfanek

[QUOTE="Vfanek"][QUOTE="ucme4k"] What does controlling 1 unit have to do with that? "A strategy game or strategic game is a game (e.g. computer, video or board game) in which the players' decision-making skills have a high significance in determining the outcome." It is a strategy game with rpg elements. What u are talking about are 4X strategy games they are a sub-genre of strategy games.ucme4k

You missed the part "decision-making skills have a high significance in determining the outcome.".

No, I didn't miss it. Unless you're playing Pong that applies to pretty much every multiplayer game out there.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KHAndAnime
I guess Diablo is actually a strategy game. Learn something new every day. ;)
ucme4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ucme4k
[QUOTE="ucme4k"]

[QUOTE="Vfanek"]

Vfanek
No, I didn't miss it. Unless you're playing Pong that applies to pretty much every multiplayer game out there.

Shooter = aim RPG = grind
I guess Diablo is actually a strategy game. Learn something new every day. ;)KHAndAnime
Diablo = looting and grinding Like i said u guys missed "decision-making skills have a high significance in determining the outcome." part.
Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Vfanek
[QUOTE="ucme4k"][QUOTE="Vfanek"][QUOTE="ucme4k"] No, I didn't miss it. Unless you're playing Pong that applies to pretty much every multiplayer game out there.

Shooter = aim RPG = grind
I guess Diablo is actually a strategy game. Learn something new every day. ;)KHAndAnime
Diablo = looting and grinding Like i said u guys missed "decision-making skills have a high significance in determining the outcome." part.

I'd like to hear your definition of 'decision-making' because it obviously doesn't correlate with mine.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

i am looking at sins of a solar empire, but honestly, it doesn't look appealing to me, the whole space comabt thing looks to be not my cup of tea.

and about the fan googles, i'm not sure what your going by with this, but i am no fan of sc2 or sc.

masterbreti

What exactly ARE you looking for?

Define your like's and dislike's, if you want to, and i'll happily give you my suggestion.

ucme4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ucme4k

[QUOTE="ucme4k"][QUOTE="Vfanek"] Shooter = aim RPG = grind [QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]I guess Diablo is actually a strategy game. Learn something new every day. ;)Vfanek

I'd like to hear your definition of 'decision-making' because it obviously doesn't correlate with mine.

decision-making= deciding what should be your next move(s) based on the situations present within the match.

When i say high i mean it is like the most important thing.

In shooters a guy with insane aim and reflexes and completly rape another team with noob aim, even if they are genius.

In MMORPG a guy lvl 60 can pwn a lvl 2 no problems, even if he is a genius.

etc

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Vfanek

Your logic is extremely flawed. Have a look at Quake Live/Quake 3 games, aim gets you far but you need more than just aim. You need decision making. I can't believe I'm even debating this. Comparing a level 60 to a level 2 is even dumber, seriously dude? I'd like to see any top WoW arena players who doesn't have basic decision making skills. There are none, because if they lacked it they wouldn't be in the top.
If you're going to make an argument, think it through before making it. An RTS game isn't any game that requires strategy or decision making, it's an established genre and describes games like AoE, Starcraft, CnC etc.

By your logic all of the above are simply action games. They revolve around a lot of action after all!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-6243ee9902175

simardbrad

Ok first calm down as you seem mad, bro. Now show me the page where they define what it is from a more credible source. I have something to at least back up the classification, whether I agree with it or not (hint: I don't), where you are just pulling definitions from your behind.

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Vfanek

[QUOTE="simardbrad"]

Whiteblade999

Ok first calm down as you seem mad, bro. Now show me the page where they define what it is from a more credible source. I have something to at least back up the classification, whether I agree with it or not (hint: I don't), where you are just pulling definitions from your behind.

Guinsoo calls the genre MOBA, others simply call it RTSRPG/AoS. It's not referred to as an RTS for a reason, and it has a million names that aren't "RTS" for the same reason. [spoiler] It's not an RTS [/spoiler]
ucme4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ucme4k

Your logic is extremely flawed. Have a look at Quake Live/Quake 3 games, aim gets you far but you need more than just aim. You need decision making. I can't believe I'm even debating this. Comparing a level 60 to a level 2 is even dumber, seriously dude? I'd like to see any top WoW arena players who doesn't have basic decision making skills. There are none, because if they lacked it they wouldn't be in the top.
If you're going to make an argument, think it through before making it. An RTS game isn't any game that requires strategy or decision making, it's an established genre and describes games like AoE, Starcraft, CnC etc.

By your logic all of the above are simply action games. They revolve around a lot of action after all!

Vfanek

What logic? I presented a definition. You are still ignoring that part, want me to quote it again? I am glad u bring quake live up, as u might know rapha is imo and in many peoples opinion the smartest QL player alongside cooller, he lost to k1llsen on gamescom and that guy was having insane rails. A popular quote in the quake community is "u cannot outsmart 80% rail". But spawns and accuracy are what make u win games, decision making helps but u can't beat an experienced guy(possible but extremly unprobable) with 90% accuracy that knows how to play and the best spawns, when u have 5% and the worst spawns and have better decision making. Can you make a accurate definition of strategy games? Sorry for my english. Not my native language :P

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Vfanek

You forgot to mention how many games Rafa has won because of his superior decision making. Insane strategical gameplans can win vs pure mechanical skill, and vice versa. Same in Starcraft, you have mechanical players and then you have extremely creative/unpredictable players. A 'strategy game' is an RTS, TBS or RTT. All games require strategy, but these subgenres are what coined the term. There's no debate to be had, to be honest. If you say "I like strategy games like Heroes of Newerth" people are going to look at you funny, don't think of it in too much of a literal sense. Civilization is a strategy game, or turn based strategy game to be more specific. Ditto for Starcraft, but it's a real time strategy game. Top down perspective with base/city/empite building and/or managing an army (not ONE unit) constitutes as a strategy game in the world of PC gaming ;)

Your HTML blablabla, can't be fuzzed to remake paragraphs. Goddamn it GS.

Avatar image for billbraskypwnsu
billbraskypwnsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 billbraskypwnsu
Member since 2010 • 74 Posts
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/starwarsgalacticb/index.html Great game. I have big 8 person LAN parties with this game.
masterbreti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 masterbreti

this thread is almost hijacked, well since someone asked i should post what i like and dislike in terms of rts games.

tournaments

good multiplayer experince

a awesome amount of stratagy and tatics (people could plan out a thousand different ways to defeat another stratagy)

a good single player experince

resource based would be peferred

a good community of dedicated experts

land based battles would be a plus

decent graphics (nothing too ugly)

Fun!

dislikes:

dead multiplayer/no tournaments

boring combat

inbalanced factions

no stratagy

easy to master/no learning curve

and about the comment about star wars battlegrounds, i have the game, but again, no multiplayer

thanks again everyone, more suggestions please.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KHAndAnime

this thread is almost hijacked, well since someone asked i should post what i like and dislike in terms of rts games.

tournaments

good multiplayer experince

a awesome amount of stratagy and tatics (people could plan out a thousand different ways to defeat another stratagy)

a good single player experince

resource based would be peferred

a good community of dedicated experts

land based battles would be a plus

decent graphics (nothing too ugly)

Fun!

dislikes:

dead multiplayer/no tournaments

boring combat

inbalanced factions

no stratagy

easy to master/no learning curve

and about the comment about star wars battlegrounds, i have the game, but again, no multiplayer

thanks again everyone, more suggestions please.

masterbreti
It's funny because you pretty much keep asking for Starcraft 2, yet you hate it for ambiguous reasons. :)