Do you play Skyrim for the story?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 II-Siamak-II
Member since 2012 • 480 Posts

So after few attempts since 2 years ago I finally got hooked to this game and with mods it's pretty amazing and there is so much to do, but one thing that bothers me is the Story. I feel like im lost as far as story goes and after spending 35 hours or so I still don't get the plot much. I feel like the story is not really accessible. so my question is do you guys feel the same way? do you play the game for the gameplay/exploration/fun or do you play for the story?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
Skyrim is NOT fun. Addictive? Sure. But definately not fun.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#3 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts
Skyrim is not a game I enjoyed very much. But The Elder Scrolls in general is more about exploring a world and less about story. You know since it has crappy writing and all.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

TES games are the kind of game you play for 30 hours, then realize that you havent even started on the main quest.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#5 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

Story? I make my own story! Off adventuring into the wilds, encountering bandits, merchants, hunters and ruins. I've never been the one who liked any of the Elder Scrolls main story quests.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#6 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Story in Skyrim was beyond disappointing; terrible all the way through.

The exploration is where the game shines. 

IAAGguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 IAAGguy
Member since 2013 • 125 Posts

No one plays Skyrim for the story.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
LOL. I'm getting the impression this game attracts alot of rebelious personalities. The Virtual Skinnerbox of Independency.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

havent really done any main story for skyrim. only did oblicion's twice.  I'm more interested i side stories, lore, and mods

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

God no. I play it to mod the **** off it and walk around looking and nice scenery

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Skyrim is NOT fun. Addictive? Sure. But definately not fun.Lulu_Lulu

Not fun? Shut up.

Yes, I play Skyrim for the story. In fact, I only got my hands on the game last week and while I don't finish the main questline I will not start doing secondary quests.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#12 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Not fun? Shut up.

Yes, I play Skyrim for the story. In fact, I only got my hands on the game last week and while I don't finish the main questline I will not start doing secondary quests.

Ricardomz

You might as well start it immediately. The main questiline is a total letdown and it's laughably short; you'll probably beat it in less than 2 hours.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"]Skyrim is NOT fun. Addictive? Sure. But definately not fun.Ricardomz

Not fun? Shut up.

Well thats not very polite. :|
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

For the mods, basically. The vanilla game sucks.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
What do you mean the story isn't very accessible? Did you play the main quest? It has a really simple plot...
II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 II-Siamak-II

What do you mean the story isn't very accessible? Did you play the main quest? It has a really simple plot...KHAndAnime

Idk how to explain it, I just did 30% of the main quest line but mostly doing the side quests and I kinda got lost in the whole world and storyline.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]What do you mean the story isn't very accessible? Did you play the main quest? It has a really simple plot...II-Siamak-II

Idk how to explain it, I just did 30% of the main quest line but mostly doing the side quests and I kinda got lost in the whole world and storyline.

The plot isn't very complicated. In fact, it's barely even a plot. It's more like an excuse for them to put a bunch of dragons in the game and give the main character some gimmicky dragon powers.

Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

I thought the main story line was pretty good. Not the most amazing thing ever, but still above average to me.

The main story is pretty unique. The only things about the story that sucked for me was no memorable characters that you come in contact with, and the whole thing is very stretched out. But making progress between side quests/exploration, it's decent.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]What do you mean the story isn't very accessible? Did you play the main quest? It has a really simple plot...KHAndAnime

The plot isn't very complicated. In fact, it's barely even a plot. It's more like an excuse for them to put a bunch of dragons in the game and give the main character some gimmicky dragon powers.

like this!

jaqulle999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jaqulle999
Member since 2009 • 2897 Posts

I got the game a few weeks ago.  The main storyline is really short but there are so many other quests to do.  When I first finished that I was a bit disapointed but damn that game is addicting.  I'm now at 31 hours and while some of the stories are interesting this isn't really a game to play for the story, more to explore and upgrade.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Bethesda games typically have terrible stories and even worse writing so, no, I didn't play it for the story.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KHAndAnime

Bethesda games typically have terrible stories and even worse writing so, no, I didn't play it for the story.

-wildflower-

I thought Morrowind did the whole 'prophecy fulfillment' thing pretty well, though it at least had the benefit of being an earlier game in the series. The game's writing was pretty good too. It had to be, considering that there was no scripted VO.

Alpha_S_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Alpha_S_
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts

I never play Bethesda's games for the story really, which tend to be bland with stock go here kill this/fetch x quests and unintersting npcs with dialogue that is not conversationally written.  Skyrim I thought was better than Oblivion at least in a lot of ways, having the mutually exclusive civil war factions at least to give it a bit more depth.  However I mostly play their games for being able to do my own thing at the expense of the story, customizing/playing my character how I want and of course mods.  

Often times I tend to forget what the story is even about and stop caring after a certain point (which can be an issue at times).

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#24 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

KHAndAnime

I thought Morrowind did the whole 'prophecy fulfillment' thing pretty well, though it at least had the benefit of being an earlier game in the series. The game's writing was pretty good too. It had to be, considering that there was no scripted VO.

Morrowind is kind of the exception if you ask me.  It features the best world, most unique monsters, most interesting lore and design.  It's easier to get sucked into Morrowind.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

I don't know what people are expecting from the story.  It was fine for what it is.  Most games don't have good storylines.  If you want a good story go read a book.

With that said I liked Skyrim's storyline and felt it fit the lore and setting just fine.

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

Oblivion's side quests and guilds had great stories.

Skyrim...meh.

II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 II-Siamak-II

I don't know what people are expecting from the story.  It was fine for what it is.  Most games don't have good storylines.  If you want a good story go read a book.

With that said I liked Skyrim's storyline and felt it fit the lore and setting just fine.

sleepingzzz

Maybe some people prefer visual story telling over sitting in bed and reading book? just saying. your reasoning makes no sense at all.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="sleepingzzz"]

II-Siamak-II

Maybe some people prefer visual story telling over sitting in bed and reading book? just saying. your reasoning makes no sense at all.

Skyrim's writing was often cheesy as hell. Couldn't take it seriously in the least. Ultimately it wasn't structured too differently from previous games in the series, I just didn't like their take on it this time around. A game is perfectly capable of good writing - this game just doesn't have it.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="sleepingzzz"]

II-Siamak-II

Well . . . . You could read a Graphic Novel ;) just for the Pretty pictures.
gogoplexiorayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#30 gogoplexiorayo
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

i actually buy bethesda games for the story. In my first playthrough i play through the main quest and dont do anything else. Its on the second playthrough that i actually explore everything and do the side stories. The main quest is the most important thing for me in skyrim.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#31 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I thought the main story in skyrim was decent, it framed the entire game with shouts and led you to interesting places. The battle to control skyrim could have been done a bit better. Skyrim is great for me because of exploration. Not just finding places (like the amazing blackreach) but finding entire amazing quests lines buried in a small town somewhere.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

The games writing is largely terrible whenever a plot gets shoehorned in, I'm still yet to encounter a questline that hasn't been atrocious.

The characters, the scenarios, even the narrative design.
Pretty flaming uninspired and unremarkable.

If anyone is playing it for the story hopefully it's the messing around with systems kind. 

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

sleepingzzz
Most films, books, television shows and so on have terrible storylines. Your point is moot. Expectations from Bethesda's narrative are low, so the standard is low. People aren't looking for Planescape Torment, they're looking for a big explorable world full of monsters to hit again and again.
eggdog1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 eggdog1234
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts
Bethesda games only work for me when I get sucked into exploring and making my own story. I try to stay away from the main story in their games. In Skyrim, I will kill the first dragon so I can shout...but I usually stop there and wonder off into the woods. I like mods, they add a bunch of stuff but the characters I play the longest are always played in a vanilla version of the game. I am not sure why, but this has been true for me since Morrowind.
II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 II-Siamak-II

[QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

[QUOTE="sleepingzzz"]

Lulu_Lulu

You still didn't get my point, I just can't stare at static images/texts hence why I never ever read books if im not forced to, hence why I never ever read comic books even when I was a kid.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

[QUOTE="sleepingzzz"]

skrat_01

Most films, books, television shows and so on have terrible storylines. Your point is moot. Expectations from Bethesda's narrative are low, so the standard is low. People aren't looking for Planescape Torment, they're looking for a big explorable world full of monsters to hit again and again.

It's rare to have a good storyline in anything but, there is an extremely low amount of games with good storylines.  So the probability of finding games with a good story is much much lower than finding a book with a good story.  If you're part of the Y generation that has less than an 8 second attention span then you're better off watching movies.  If storyline is your main concern then gaming is not where you'll find it.

You'll be looking at perhaps one game a year that has a good storyline if that.  Now if you want a good storyline with gameplay, graphics and everything else, you'll need to be a very patient person.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

II-Siamak-II

You still didn't get my point, I just can't stare at static images/texts hence why I never ever read books if im not forced to, hence why I never ever read comic books even when I was a kid.

Then watch a good movie :D . You know, like a normal person.
II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 II-Siamak-II

[QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] Well . . . . You could read a Graphic Novel ;) just for the Pretty pictures.Lulu_Lulu

Then watch a good movie :D . You know, like a normal person.

I do watch movies, tv series all the time, but gaming is my main hobbie ;)

alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts

God no. I play it to mod the **** off it and walk around looking and nice scenery

seanmcloughlin
Couldn't say it better.
DunkMujunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DunkMujunk
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I personally never play a game for the story alone. If a game has a good story/plot ALONG with great gameplay mechanics and decent graphics and all that, it's a definite plus, but I would have no problem playing a game with literally no story and great mechanics/graphics. If you want a good story go read a book. That being said the main story isn't exactly "edge of your seat what happens next" exciting, and its nothing that's gonna make you ponder the meaning of life or anything deep like that. Like the one dude said, its basically an excuse to throw in some dragons and give you super powers. I did enjoy a ton of the semi main quests and side quests though. They're usually short, sweet, and a lot of them were pretty interesting. All in all, people who don't play Skyrim because of the story probably didn't enjoy the mechanics of the game very much either. I personally love Skyrim, but 2 of my favorite things in video games are open world exploration and character leveling, so yea, to me Skyrim rocks. I will say Skyrims combat was a bit bland, but I guess I shouldn't really be concerned about finesse in combat when i'm carrying a fully improved and enchanted daedric mace and my one arm skill is 100 with mace relevant skills maxed. Never read a book that lets me do that before.
7MZ000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 7MZ000
Member since 2005 • 209 Posts
I play for the graphics
Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Story in Skyrim, huh?

I think players make their own stories by doing whatever they want; quests, exploring and leveling mixed together. It's part of the adventure.

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

The main quest line was lame. But there are other smaller stories within the game that more than make up for it.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#44 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts
Playing an Elder Scrolls game (post-Morrowind, at least) for the story is like one of those "watching porn for the storyline" situations; no one with any common sense in them does it, and it's not the point anyway. I play Skyrim for the exploration, for the immersion of being sucked into a vast, persistent fantasy world that's at once rich and familiar yet tinged with the bizarre and alien.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lulu_Lulu
. . . . 2 of my favorite things in video games are open world exploration and character leveling, so yea, to me Skyrim rocks. I will say Skyrims combat was a bit bland, but I guess I shouldn't really be concerned about finesse in combat when i'm carrying a fully improved and enchanted daedric mace and my one arm skill is 100 with mace relevant skills maxed. Never read a book that lets me do that before.DunkMujunk
I get the exploring part. But the leveling up. . . . Whats the appeal ?
Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

For the mods, basically. The vanilla game sucks.

uninspiredcup

No one plays Skyrim for the story.

IAAGguy

Skyrim is NOT fun. Addictive? Sure. But definately not fun.Lulu_Lulu

RazorGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RazorGR
Member since 2005 • 1605 Posts

Skyrim had a story?

Avatar image for SamThePurpleton
SamThePurpleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SamThePurpleton
Member since 2012 • 57 Posts

Main story? The main story completely sucked, it felt insignificant, it quickly disappeared under layers of layers of layers of quests, nobody seems to really notice the dragons have come back in the first place except for a few guards (who will also annoy the hell outta you) and when you DO manage to defeat Alduin, not only do dragons continue to attack you frequently but almost nobody notices. Guards might continue to slip mentions of earlier parts of the main quest ("You managed to trap a dragon in Dragonhold, and you let it go? Are you mad?) but mostly nobody notices, and some guards might even still make mentions of protecting keeps against dragons. Even the congratulations offered by the Blades was wholly disappointing, and you get the feeling they didn't really care about Alduin in the first place. 

However there are other stories in Skyrim apart from the main quest. You get the Skyrim Civil War, the Companions questline, the Dark Brotherhood questline, the Thieves Guild questline etc. and it's these countless more adventures and quests that makes Skyrim so much more alive and feels so much real. It breathes life into the game, making you want to forge your own story, to explore the wilderness, to have your own adventure. So yes, I sort of play Skyrim for the story.

But the main quest completely sucks.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#49 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Skyrim's story or stories are very average. It's a game of quantity over quality, that's for sure. I spent most of my gameplay hours exploring but I eventually found out there wasn't much to the world of Skyrim. Sure, it felt great the first 20 hours.. but after that, it was pretty mindless, with unmemorable characters.

The leve progression and skill trees are a joke.  Without mods, this game isn't half as good as it is.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

I play mostly for the mods