This topic is locked from further discussion.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127492 Posts

OC3D.net posted a preview of some Z97 mobos for those interested.

These are all Asus boards. The Deluxe edition has these specs... I'll include a few pictures of it further down in this post... And some more information. The other boards doesn't feature as much as this one...

There is a staggering amount of connection options on the ASUS Z97 Deluxe. Six SATA 6Gb/s ports stop you having to stare at your motherboard trying to make sure you don't plug your shiny new SSD into a SATA II port. Next to them are the four SATA Express ports which, if they perform in the real world as well as they do on paper will quickly lead to us all upgrading our storage devices. Who doesn't want a 10Gb/s transfer rate. Especially without the fiddling about of a RAID setup. Round the back it's like a dream come true with plenty of display outputs, 10 (count em) USB ports, twin LAN and the usual audio jacks. This certainly lives up to the Deluxe name.

Two of the adaptors supplied with the ASUS Z97 Deluxe neatly encapsulate how some technologies have captured the imagination and others haven't. Firstly there is the WiFi Go!. WiFi is now absolutely everywhere in our lives, to the point that when you're somewhere and can't get a wireless signal it comes as a surprise. Anything that can remove the spaghetti from behind our towers has to be a good thing, and equally saving us having to buy an adaptor is good news for all.

The second one is the ThunderboltEX II technology card, which is one of the recent developments from Intel that has all the potential to be amazing, without grabbing the attention in the same way that USB did. It has enormous bandwidth, plenty of chaining potential and can provide a good amount of power for your devices. We still can't think of anything we've come across that utilises it though. Hopefully as the 4K displays become more common then the need for Thunderbolt will mean that ASUS are ahead of the game.

Two other things that take wireless technologies to the next level are the Wireless Charger, which does exactly what it says on the tin, and hte NFC Express 2. With more and more devices (televisions, smartphones etc) supporting Near Field Communication (NFC) then it makes perfect sense to include something that allows us to connect our devices in the easiest possible manner. We definitely take our hat off to ASUS with this one. It's fun to get something you didn't realise you needed until it was in front of you.

So there we have it. The triumvirate of ASUS Z97 motherboards that support both the 4th Generation Haswell CPUs and the soon to be released 14nm Broadwell ones too.

I do wonder if they mean that you can run three cards with 3rd 8x speed and one 2nd with 16x speed or not... Or if the last one is throttled to 4x if the other ones are in use.

What do you guys think of it?

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

i have a piggy bank saving right now for a 5th gen oct core i7 for video editing, so any news about 5th gen compatible hardware has me excited.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

yayyyy! my four months old 8 series chipset is already irrelevant! F* you Intel. i want Broadwell...

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 horgen  Moderator

@groowagon said:

yayyyy! my four months old 8 series chipset is already irrelevant! F* you Intel. i want Broadwell...

Bios update should fix that right?

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

I'm keen on X97, I just hope they don't make it DDR4 only like they are X99 :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@horgen said:

@groowagon said:

i hope so... there are apparently some voltage differences with Broadwells even though the socket is the same.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

My body is ready.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@groowagon said:

@horgen said:

@groowagon said:

i hope so... there are apparently some voltage differences with Broadwells even though the socket is the same.

Maybe lower since it will be 14nm processing and not 22... Something tells me Broadwell will run hot when you OC it. Hopefully Intel doesn't mess up with the IHS this time.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@klunt_bumskrint said:

I'm keen on X97, I just hope they don't make it DDR4 only like they are X99 :(

Gotta wait for Skylake for that... Which I might actually upgrade too... Or whatever comes after. I do need more GPU horsepower than CPU power though =/

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

Wow! Lots of options with these boards!! I'm still very happy with my current 3rd gen hardware, but it's neat to see more options being put into boards!

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

@horgen said:

@groowagon said:

@horgen said:

@groowagon said:

Maybe lower since it will be 14nm processing and not 22... Something tells me Broadwell will run hot when you OC it. Hopefully Intel doesn't mess up with the IHS this time.

That's my hope too. My cpu, while better on voltages, ran hotter than it should have.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#12  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I probably won't bother getting a broadwell cpu since its won't be a big difference from whats currently out there, but it'll be interesting to see how much it will overclock.

I heard they are moving the voltage regulator off the cpu and back to the motherboard on these cpus so it should lower their temps, so we may be looking at nice overclocking abilities with low temps like the second gen intel cpus had.

Actually if these cpus overclock past 5ghz with no problems i'll toss out money right now and upgrade. But if they can't get much higher clock speeds i currently have then i doubt they'll be more then 5% faster then my current cpu. 15% or more speed upgrade and i'd likely do it.

And like already mentioned, if they have a better heat spreader also, things may be looking pretty good.

Alienware_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Alienware_fan
Member since 2010 • 1514 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

My body is ready.

what about your back side

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@Alienware_fan said:

@BattleSpectre said:

My body is ready.

what about your back side

I just bought a new comfy PC chair, so yes my back side fairs much better now, it seems to be ready.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

My motherboard only has 4 sata ports, it's so annoying

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 horgen  Moderator

@kraken2109 said:

Mine has 6 or 8... Used 4 them already. /=

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kraken2109

@horgen said:

@kraken2109 said:

Actually mine has 5 and i'm using 4. The positioning is so bad though, they're essentially behind the graphics card which means i have to use right angled sata cables and actually the 5th port can't be used because of this :(

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 horgen  Moderator

@kraken2109: I think I have one right angled sata cable, the rest are straight... Or it was the other way around. :P

Sata express would be good for SSD, wouldn't it?

Also why have no one mentioned that it will support RAM speed up to 3300MHz... ?

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kraken2109

@horgen said:

@kraken2109: I think I have one right angled sata cable, the rest are straight... Or it was the other way around. :P

Sata express would be good for SSD, wouldn't it?

Also why have no one mentioned that it will support RAM speed up to 3300MHz... ?

Probably because nobody has ram that speed!

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@kraken2109 said:

@horgen said:

@kraken2109 said:

Actually mine has 5 and i'm using 4. The positioning is so bad though, they're essentially behind the graphics card which means i have to use right angled sata cables and actually the 5th port can't be used because of this :(

Yup.

They need to change the placement of some things on motherboards in general. Too many things behind the GPU and when you have SLI it's a pain in the gulliver.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

waiting for X99 here...