Yup, Another buying a laptop thread :) Help please.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Crocodile_Key (224 posts) -

Need some help finding what I want. For starters I have a gaming desktop and a psv so I don't need or want a hardcore gaming laptop. I am 33 now, been playing games since Atari 2600, and love it all. I have an 11 year old son and a 2 year old daughter. I work as a full time firefighter, 24 hours on 48 off, and my wife works full time also. Because of this I dont have time to play MMORPG's anymore, or use my desktop. I have a bad back so I can not sit at a desk and be able to get up fast and easy to take care of the kids. I have the desktop set up on my recliner so I can be comftorable.

Obviously this is not ideal anymore, especially since I am not playing games as much. So I said all that so you will know my situation to better help me. I need a laptop that is portable and easy to move around the house and back and forth to work. I won't just be setting the laptop up at my chair or the table, so thin and light would be nice. Also i would like something 11-14 inches and no more than 5 lbs, the lower the better.

Now I know thin and light and gaming laptops don't go in the same sentence lol. I would like something to run Torchlight 2 full specs and Diablo 3 atleast on medium (I have hope for the expansion now with the leadership change :D ) I would prefer a descrete graphics card, but would accept An A10 4600m processor. It would run those games decent and I can upgrade that APU down the road. Although a descrete graphics card is prefered. 

My problem is finding what I want in thin and light. Screen resolution and hard drives are my main concern. 1366 x 768 is only good to me on an 11 incher. 13-14 i prefer atleast 1600 x 900. I would rather not go with a 15 incher but will if I can not find what I want. A thin and light 15 incher 5 lbs or under would be ok if the screen was 1920 x 1280, unless a 1600 x 900 is just beautiful. Also I want a matte screen, no glossy. 

Atleast a 7200 rpm harddrive or SSD. I would like 8gb dual channel DDR3 memory, preferably 1600 mhz.

I know I am picky. If I can get a good screen processor and gpu I can and will change the hard drive and memory. Also if you find one that is great other than the screen, I will change the screen myself if I can find an upgrade.

Price is important but as set as I am for what I want just let me know what you find regardless of the price.

Oh, other than Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 I am really getting into older games from gog.com, I find myself less worried about awesome graphics as I get older, hence the no use for a heavy duty gaming laptop. I still have a gaming desktop for that. I would like to be able to run Never Winter Knights 2 on it if possible, or the Witcher 1. Would be really awesome for something to run Skyrim on low if possible (I plan on buying the discounter box set in a year or so, you know it is coming0

Thank you for your help, I really need it.

Any ideas are welcome! :D

#2 Posted by GioVela2010 (4018 posts) -
http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gx60-1ac021us-preorder-p-5009.html?gclid=COfgmoGVorUCFUfhQgodGGMAIA
#3 Posted by 04dcarraher (19171 posts) -
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np6350-clevo-w350etq-ships-midseptember-p-4897.html
#4 Posted by Crocodile_Key (224 posts) -

Out of those 2 I think the MSI would be better. I can upgrade the A10 later to take full advantage of the gcard. I am looking at the Clevo W110ER also.

More suggestions welcome.

#5 Posted by GioVela2010 (4018 posts) -
Just don't settle for less thana 7970m or GTX680m
#6 Posted by Crocodile_Key (224 posts) -

Just don't settle for less thana 7970m or GTX680mGioVela2010

I understand completely. those are the cards that will last a few years. You are correct. I have 2k to spend on a laptop but I dont want to spend over $800. I know that is crazy.

Any other thoughts on a cheap laptop for diablo 3 down to old gog.com games?

#7 Posted by 04dcarraher (19171 posts) -

[QUOTE="GioVela2010"]Just don't settle for less thana 7970m or GTX680mCrocodile_Key

I understand completely. those are the cards that will last a few years. You are correct. I have 2k to spend on a laptop but I dont want to spend over $800. I know that is crazy.

Any other thoughts on a cheap laptop for diablo 3 down to old gog.com games?

Might want to look at this laptop its $899 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312438 but if your still dead set on a $800 or lower, 

This will do the job,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215660

or

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009JXK17G/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B009JXK17G&linkCode=as2&tag=gamlaphom-20

#8 Posted by Crocodile_Key (224 posts) -

Thank you all for the replies. I have looked at all recomendations. I am still undecided! LOL I suck. I dont mind paying 1200 if I can get what I want. 1600x900 matte screen, high powered gcard, atleast 7200 rpm hard drive, good build quality.

I know I am picky. Thank you for all ideas.

#9 Posted by 04dcarraher (19171 posts) -

Thank you all for the replies. I have looked at all recomendations. I am still undecided! LOL I suck. I dont mind paying 1200 if I can get what I want. 1600x900 matte screen, high powered gcard, atleast 7200 rpm hard drive, good build quality.

Crocodile_Key
You can always get an Hybrid SSD for the laptop 4gb SSD/500gb or 8gb SSD/750gb
#10 Posted by James161324 (8315 posts) -

Crocodile_Key

you don't want a 7200 rpm hd for a laptop. I had one and it vibrated horribly. I highly reccomnd if your spending cash just go with an ssd 

#11 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23434 posts) -

[QUOTE="Crocodile_Key"]

James161324

you don't want a 7200 rpm hd for a laptop. I had one and it vibrated horribly. I highly reccomnd if your spending cash just go with an ssd 

i have a ssd and a 7200rpm seagate momentus xt hybrid drive in my laptop it's fine
#12 Posted by Jetsfan122 (77 posts) -

I have a 7200rpm hard drive as well with no vibration issues.