Your all time TOP 5 multiplayer modes in online shooters

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

I noticed i haven't really played online shooters anymore, except for some random matches in Battlefield 4. There just doesn't seem to be too many exciting multiplayer modes anymore in recent games. They are more or less generic versions of CoD.

So what are the modes you dearly remember that excited you when they were first introduced? What made it so special? Could they be fine-tuned to excite even more today? List your modes!

Starting off with my own top 5:

1. Titan Mode (Battlefield 2142)

Bigger and better than the great conquest mode. Starting off as a regular conquest (+movable titans ofcourse), culminating into epic Titan battles. You were still able to make a difference on ground by capturing silos. I really wish that Dice would build more on to this game mode in future Battlefields. Also the restrained sci-fi theme (restrained compared to games like Unreal) allowed for some very interesting innovating when it came to gadgets and vehicles etc. Honorary mention to escape pods.

2. Conquest (Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2)

Made a great first impression with 1942, and i was instantly hooked. Large maps, vehicles, just so much fun. Perfected in Battlefield 2 with more versatile maps and by addition of commander role.

3. Power Struggle (Crysis)

One of the most promising multiplayer modes i have seen. Combines elements from Counter Strike and Battlefield beautifully, and adding nanosuits and epic vehicles and weaponry in to the mix. Too bad the execution was techinally a mess, and it never gained popularity because it was too broken. Crytek never developed it further sadly.

4. Onslaught (Unreal Tournament 2004)

Mode combining conquest elements to the fast-paced Unreal style gameplay and inventive sci-fi weponry. Uninpressive in UT3, though, since too much time had passed and too little (nearly nothing) was made to improve the original concept to suit moder day's standards.

5. Objective (Enemey Territory: Quake Wars)

I didn't actually spend a lot of time on this, since i didn't quite like the technical execution of the game, but the game mode was really promising. What made it stand out was the ability to build different kind of structures and defences and what not with different classes.

As you can see, i'm more into bigger, more open shooters, that may not be ultra-balanced when it comes to e-sport scene. I was also thinking a lot about what direction i'd like to see the future shooters go in their online modes, taking the best parts from the past ideas and ofcourse developing them further. Or better yet, make completely new ones.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

Meh, I'm not too interested in multiplayer shooters and I couldn't come up with 5 modes I like.

But I spent lots of time with Counter-Strike's gungame mode and I really liked One in the Chamber in Black Ops.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Infected vs Humans in Modern Warfare 2.