Xpadder PS3 Controller!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Yokokorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Yokokorama
Member since 2008 • 38 Posts

Hey everybody. I've used Xpadder for my Xbox 360 Controller, and it worked. However, having grown far more accustomed to the PlayStation controller, I wanted to set it up to work with my PC games. I've been having problems with that, though...

Xpadder is apparently recognizing the PS3 controller, since it has a profile ("PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller"). However, when attempt to do the button/analog/trigger setup, none of the buttons are recognized or detected. I'm not sure why. Yes, the controller is fulyl functional. I even tried both of my controllers, so its definitely not the controller's fault. Is there something that I have to do that I'm missing?

Please help me out people, I REALLY need it! Thanks in advance.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

Hey everybody. I've used Xpadder for my Xbox 360 Controller, and it worked. However, having grown far more accustomed to the PlayStation controller, I wanted to set it up to work with my PC games. I've been having problems with that, though...

Xpadder is apparently recognizing the PS3 controller, since it has a profile ("PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller"). However, when attempt to do the button/analog/trigger setup, none of the buttons are recognized or detected. I'm not sure why. Yes, the controller is fulyl functional. I even tried both of my controllers, so its definitely not the controller's fault. Is there something that I have to do that I'm missing?

Please help me out people, I REALLY need it! Thanks in advance.

Yokokorama
umm, how are you connecting the ps3 controller to your pc?
Yokokorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Yokokorama

Regular way, through the USB. Thats not even an issue, because Xpadder knows that a PS3 Controller is connected. Its just that when I try to setup the buttons, none of them are detected, if you get what I mean.

Yokokorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Yokokorama

BUMP. Guys, I REALLY need help with this.

Zam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zam
Member since 2002 • 2048 Posts
Using a PS3 controller with PC is not very common so I am not sure why you are expecting a fast reply. But, anyways, is the controller recognized by Windows? i.e. does it install a driver for it? if not, you may need to search for driver that makes this works. Once windows recognizes and it appears under "game controllers" and the buttons are recognized there you shouldn't have trouble customizing it with Xpadder. Hope that helped
Yokokorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Yokokorama

Using a PS3 controller with PC is not very common so I am not sure why you are expecting a fast reply. But, anyways, is the controller recognized by Windows? i.e. does it install a driver for it? if not, you may need to search for driver that makes this works. Once windows recognizes and it appears under "game controllers" and the buttons are recognized there you shouldn't have trouble customizing it with Xpadder. Hope that helpedZam

I'm not really expecting a fast reply, I just don't want it to go to the next page because we both know I won't get any replies by then.

And yes, it is recognized by Windows. When I go to Control Panel > Game Controllers, it shows both the Xbox 360 and PS3 Controllers, and says the status is okay. I thought that might have been the problem, but it apparently isn't. Then I thought it might be something with the controller, so I tried using my other PS3 controller, and still nothing.

Its pretty weird, considering I had absolutely no problem with the 360 Controller. Could there be something I am doing wrong with the setup? Is there anything extra I have to do? I'm confused.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Zam"]Using a PS3 controller with PC is not very common so I am not sure why you are expecting a fast reply. But, anyways, is the controller recognized by Windows? i.e. does it install a driver for it? if not, you may need to search for driver that makes this works. Once windows recognizes and it appears under "game controllers" and the buttons are recognized there you shouldn't have trouble customizing it with Xpadder. Hope that helpedYokokorama

I'm not really expecting a fast reply, I just don't want it to go to the next page because we both know I won't get any replies by then.

And yes, it is recognized by Windows. When I go to Control Panel > Game Controllers, it shows both the Xbox 360 and PS3 Controllers, and says the status is okay. I thought that might have been the problem, but it apparently isn't. Then I thought it might be something with the controller, so I tried using my other PS3 controller, and still nothing.

Its pretty weird, considering I had absolutely no problem with the 360 Controller. Could there be something I am doing wrong with the setup? Is there anything extra I have to do? I'm confused.

Might i suggest.. Http://www.google.com
Yokokorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Yokokorama

[QUOTE="Yokokorama"]

[QUOTE="Zam"]Using a PS3 controller with PC is not very common so I am not sure why you are expecting a fast reply. But, anyways, is the controller recognized by Windows? i.e. does it install a driver for it? if not, you may need to search for driver that makes this works. Once windows recognizes and it appears under "game controllers" and the buttons are recognized there you shouldn't have trouble customizing it with Xpadder. Hope that helpedNibroc420

Dude, I've tried that obviously.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="Yokokorama"]

Yokokorama

http://www.brighthub.com/video-games/pc/articles/16035.aspx first page..
Yokokorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Yokokorama

[QUOTE="Yokokorama"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] Might i suggest.. Http://www.google.comNibroc420

http://www.brighthub.com/video-games/pc/articles/16035.aspx first page..

I've already seen that page, and it isn't helping. That page only allows Windows to recognize your controller; Windows ALREADY recognizes my controller. It says it on the Control Panel > Game Controllers. However, when I try to calibrate it/make it work on Xpadder, it does not work.

I'm beginning to think it might be the fact that I have 64-Bit Windows Vista with Service Pack 2.

DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts
My recommendation is to try joy2key instead of xpadder. In my experience, I've had an easier time getting joy2key to accept inputs from weird devices, such as the ps3 guitar hero controller. I can't imagine that the regular gamepad would be that much different.
Yokokorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Yokokorama

My recommendation is to try joy2key instead of xpadder. In my experience, I've had an easier time getting joy2key to accept inputs from weird devices, such as the ps3 guitar hero controller. I can't imagine that the regular gamepad would be that much different.DGFreak

Thing is, I doubt its going to work on any Keyboard Emulator if I can't even calibrate it on the Control Panel. It says its status is OK but when I attempt to calibrate it, it does not respond. What I'm not understanding is why would it say the status is OK when I cannot calibrate it.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="DGFreak"]My recommendation is to try joy2key instead of xpadder. In my experience, I've had an easier time getting joy2key to accept inputs from weird devices, such as the ps3 guitar hero controller. I can't imagine that the regular gamepad would be that much different.Yokokorama

Thing is, I doubt its going to work on any Keyboard Emulator if I can't even calibrate it on the Control Panel. It says its status is OK but when I attempt to calibrate it, it does not respond. What I'm not understanding is why would it say the status is OK when I cannot calibrate it.

are drivers installed?
Yokokorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Yokokorama

[QUOTE="Yokokorama"]

[QUOTE="DGFreak"]My recommendation is to try joy2key instead of xpadder. In my experience, I've had an easier time getting joy2key to accept inputs from weird devices, such as the ps3 guitar hero controller. I can't imagine that the regular gamepad would be that much different.Nibroc420

are drivers installed?

Yeah, Windows recognizes that the PlayStation 3 controller is plugged in (PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller). However, it does not calibrate. I think its because of my 64-Bit Windows Vista.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="Yokokorama"]

Yokokorama

are drivers installed?

Yeah, Windows recognizes that the PlayStation 3 controller is plugged in (PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller). However, it does not calibrate. I think its because of my 64-Bit Windows Vista.

just because it knows what it is doesn't mean it has the drivers required to use it
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Regular way, through the USB. Thats not even an issue, because Xpadder knows that a PS3 Controller is connected. Its just that when I try to setup the buttons, none of them are detected, if you get what I mean.

Yokokorama
Forgive me if I'm not with the times - but I thought Sony didn't make wired PS3 controllers.
Yokokorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Yokokorama

[QUOTE="Yokokorama"]

KHAndAnime

Forgive me if I'm not with the times - but I thought Sony didn't make wired PS3 controllers.

You can connect it with the cable that came with the PS3.

And it says their Status is OK and that their both configured, so I'm guessing I do not need a driver.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="Yokokorama"]

Yokokorama

What is that cable's primary function? Charging?
Yokokorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Yokokorama

[QUOTE="Yokokorama"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] Forgive me if I'm not with the times - but I thought Sony didn't make wired PS3 controllers.KHAndAnime

Yeah, its the charging cable that came with the console.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="Yokokorama"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] Forgive me if I'm not with the times - but I thought Sony didn't make wired PS3 controllers.KHAndAnime

Mhmm.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KHAndAnime

Yokokorama

That won't work bud. The only thing that cable provides is power - and offers no connectivity between the device it's connected to and the controller itself. The only possible way that you can connect an official PS3 controller to the PC is if you buy yourself a bluetooth dongle and connect it that way.
Yokokorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Yokokorama

[QUOTE="Yokokorama"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] What is that cable's primary function? Charging?KHAndAnime

That won't work bud. The only thing that cable provides is power - and offers no connectivity between the device it's connected to and the controller itself. The only possible way that you can connect an official PS3 controller to the PC is if you buy yourself a bluetooth dongle and connect it that way.

Are you sure? Because if it recognizes the Controller, doesn't that mean that some sort of connectivity has been established?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KHAndAnime

Yokokorama

Are you sure? Because if it recognizes the Controller, doesn't that mean that some sort of connectivity has been established?

There's no real connectivity as the controller is incapable of sending information through the USB wire. The only thing that is happening is that Windows recognizes the device's profile (all USB devices have profile that must be recognized by the machine they are plugged into).

EDIT: Actually, try this.

Yokokorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Yokokorama

[QUOTE="Yokokorama"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] That won't work bud. The only thing that cable provides is power - and offers no connectivity between the device it's connected to and the controller itself. The only possible way that you can connect an official PS3 controller to the PC is if you buy yourself a bluetooth dongle and connect it that way.KHAndAnime

There's no real connectivity as the controller is incapable of sending information through the USB wire. The only thing that is happening is that Windows recognizes the device's profile (all USB devices have profile that must be recognized by the machine they are plugged into).

Thanks for the link dude, but my I have a 64-Bit operating system, and that one says Win32.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nibroc420

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

[QUOTE="Yokokorama"]

Yokokorama

Thanks for the link dude, but my I have a 64-Bit operating system, and that one says Win32.

It still might work.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KHAndAnime
[QUOTE="Yokokorama"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] There's no real connectivity as the controller is incapable of sending information through the USB wire. The only thing that is happening is that Windows recognizes the device's profile (all USB devices have profile that must be recognized by the machine they are plugged into).

Nibroc420

It still might work.

I doubt it. :P Well, that's the price of 64-Bit bud. Sorry. I guess I was incorrect with my previous information, as a lot of people try to do something similar with the 360 controller - which doesn't work.
Yokokorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Yokokorama

[QUOTE="Yokokorama"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] There's no real connectivity as the controller is incapable of sending information through the USB wire. The only thing that is happening is that Windows recognizes the device's profile (all USB devices have profile that must be recognized by the machine they are plugged into).

Nibroc420

It still might work.

Windows failed to open the file. :(

I guess I just have to try a 64-bit version of that driver.

pinneyapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 pinneyapple
Member since 2005 • 5566 Posts

[QUOTE="Yokokorama"]

Absolutely not true, you have no idea how many hours I've spent playing Left4Dead splitscreen with friends using 2 PS3 controllers connected to my PC only using USB cables.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nibroc420

pinneyapple

Absolutely not true, you have no idea how many hours I've spent playing Left4Dead splitscreen with friends using 2 PS3 controllers connected to my PC only using USB cables.

Dude, it's like the xbox 360 plug and charge. It DOES NOT WORK on pc's.
dood23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dood23
Member since 2005 • 148 Posts

To those saying that the PS3 controller cable doesn't work with the PC (also, this will help you out TC):

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100768685

It DOES work, and guess what? You use the very same USB cable that you use to charge the controller. I've been playing Street Fighter 4 with it. On 64-bit Vista too.

pinneyapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 pinneyapple
Member since 2005 • 5566 Posts

[QUOTE="pinneyapple"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] That won't work bud. The only thing that cable provides is power - and offers no connectivity between the device it's connected to and the controller itself. The only possible way that you can connect an official PS3 controller to the PC is if you buy yourself a bluetooth dongle and connect it that way.Nibroc420

Dude, it's like the xbox 360 plug and charge. It DOES NOT WORK on pc's.

We're not talking about 360 controllers, PS3 controllers DO work on pc's, just install the drivers plug in your USB cable to your PS3 controller and plug it into your PC, press the PS button and it works. It even charges the controller at the same time as you're using it to play. I know this because I've been playing Left4Dead coop splitscreen with 2 PS3 controllers. If you said it doesn't work then you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

rebirthofman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rebirthofman
Member since 2003 • 629 Posts

yeah I had some issues with my PS3 controller. I used DS3 Tool Link. Basically you have to boot your PC in safe mode with signature verification off so the driver will install properly. And install using admin. I finally got mine working after following those instructions. Good Luck!

hobson3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hobson3000
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Mine was doing exactly the same and now just worked as i was checking this forum.. seemed to work by holding the ps button for a while thats the only way it seemed to pick up the controller.. or it was because i was tapping the ps button alot either way it sorted itself out! hope it helps u bud
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
[QUOTE="Yokokorama"]

That's not true. I had a friend playing Torque with a PS3 controller. Unfortunately, I have no idea what he was using to get that to work. So it DOES work with the cable.
ccccyeeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ccccyeeee
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
ive got mine working.ive got windows 7 32 bit so yeah..... can anyone send me a xpadder game profile for modren warfare 2 online for a ps3 controller my email is chome4@gmail.com.Thanks!!!!! =D
Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#37 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

Do a search for "motion in joy". They make ps3 drivers for windows. They are a pain to get working, but Ive had mine working via bluetooth as well. The drivers are such a pain that I eventually ended up buying a 360 controller anyways.

brandojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 brandojones
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Follow this video exactly and it should work. I have windows 7 64-bit and it worked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGPIRebaVJY

WaterMelnKidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 WaterMelnKidd
Member since 2010 • 52 Posts
Idiots saying it doesn't work, I've been doing this since 2008. Download the PS3 lib usb file from somewhere on the internet and then your inputs will be recognised.
PEELEDbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 PEELEDbanana
Member since 2006 • 2053 Posts

http://www.motioninjoy.com/

I use it myself and it works awesomely, and why the website looks a little shifty, its fine.

ejt51oznek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ejt51oznek
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
hey man that guys wrong, it does transmit data, u just need the right drivers, even if it says theyr installed, u have the wrong one, follow these instructions and ul be good. http://www.ehow.com/how_4809736_use-ps-controller-computer.html
QiGongMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 QiGongMaster
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
The comments about the USB cable that comes with PS3 being only able to charge the controller is NOT true. It is a standard USB cable cable. Why would anyone make a USB cable that does not function as a USB cable? You can take the PS3 USB cable and use it on any other device that uses the same size hookup (the small end can fit into the device) and it will be able to transfer data/charge the device, everything a USB cable can do. Thats not the problem, its got to be a driver issue.
jerry0503211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jerry0503211
ive got mine working.ive got windows 7 32 bit so yeah.....
jerry0503211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jerry0503211
ive got mine working.ive got windows 7 32 bit so yeah.....
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
If you want to enjoy the Dualshock 3 on your PC, your best bet to first get Motioninjoy and install it along with all the extra steps you have to make to make Windows PROPERLY recognize the controller, once set up, you can then use xpadder to custom bind your buttons.
X32WaysToDie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 X32WaysToDie
Member since 2007 • 28 Posts
So I don't know if you've got this resolved yet.. It's been a while since the last post..I was having the same issue and fixed it by setting the profile in Motion In Joy as PS2 rather than PS3. That allowed me to calibrate. My guess is something with the motion sensing was messing with it. :)
Chibizs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Chibizs
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I have a fix for your problem. I use 2 programs. MotioninJoy for the first part for the computer to fully recognize my controller then I use Xpadder for my games and such. This should work 100% http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2lUxNShIDs is how to get and use the program motionjoy and then just use xpadder over the top. Both programs must be running xD
undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

I have a fix for your problem. I use 2 programs. MotioninJoy for the first part for the computer to fully recognize my controller then I use Xpadder for my games and such. This should work 100% http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2lUxNShIDs is how to get and use the program motionjoy and then just use xpadder over the top. Both programs must be running xDChibizs

about 3 years too late

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

[QUOTE="Chibizs"]I have a fix for your problem. I use 2 programs. MotioninJoy for the first part for the computer to fully recognize my controller then I use Xpadder for my games and such. This should work 100% http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2lUxNShIDs is how to get and use the program motionjoy and then just use xpadder over the top. Both programs must be running xDundeadgoon

about 3 years too late

A level 1 poster grave digging? That's weird!