XCOM tips? I'm effin terrible!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by C2N2 (759 posts) -

So I'm still on the first few missions, but I am getting my ass handed to me and I don't know how to compensate or do any better...

I am keeping my guys in cover 100% uptime, usually ONLY heavy cover, like literally go out of my way to end turns early and buy time and the likes just to get into heavy cover... But then an alien will just one shot my guys from across the entire area while he is in heavy cover...

I don't even know what to do at this point... Like my Sgt. Ping leveled into a sniper and I had him wayyyy in the back of my guys sitting in heavy cover while the other three pushed forward to score headshots later... Then boom the first alien we encounter runs to cover, targets Ping, and rips his head off from across the entire area with one shot that crit for 8.

Help please :D

Thanks

#2 Posted by kieran88 (2273 posts) -
Overwatch, overwatch everywhere.
#3 Posted by GarGx1 (2776 posts) -

Overwatch, overwatch everywhere.kieran88

This and take your time, there's no time limt, well apart from bomb and terror missions or there's always Cheat Happens if the going gets too tough ;)

#4 Posted by illmatic87 (15292 posts) -

A general tip: Hindsight is 20/20. I still havent beaten Classic Ironman yet. Well, I think I can in my current playthough, but im not happy at how it's progressing (I wanna kill alien ships and destroy aliens, but my technology isnt letting me)..

- Overwatch is important, Heavy classes are good for this. Be mindful that there is a downside as it may consume more ammunition than what you initially intended.
- Hunker has it's uses as well, especially for Snipers in high positions that dont have all that good of a shot
- Using the above two and other tools available, take your time, get into a position and try to engage at the START of a turn with actions available
- be prepared for losses
- Pray to the RNG gods

#5 Posted by slimjimbadboy (1731 posts) -

Is XCOM worth it? I'm a big fan of civilization games and Frozen Synapse was good. But, since this it's also on consoles I've got the idea that a turn-based strategy like this wouldn't be good lol.

#6 Posted by kieran88 (2273 posts) -

Is XCOM worth it? I'm a big fan of civilization games and Frozen Synapse was good. But, since this it's also on consoles I've got the idea that a turn-based strategy like this wouldn't be good lol.

slimjimbadboy

It's a great game! There's currently 35% off with this code:

CODE DETAILS

#7 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -

Overwatch. Abandon projectile weapons ASAP. Hire soldiers and rotate them so everybody's leveled up. Launch satellites.

Also:

3qwy6kgdxwe.jpg

slimjimbadboy

Well it's no Silent Storm, but it's good.

#8 Posted by kieran88 (2273 posts) -

Overwatch. Abandon projectile weapons ASAP. Hire soldiers and rotate them so everybody's leveled up. Launch satellites.

Also:

3qwy6kgdxwe.jpg

[QUOTE="slimjimbadboy"]

Baranga

Well it's no Silent Storm, but it's good.

Lol brilliant pic
#9 Posted by C2N2 (759 posts) -

[QUOTE="slimjimbadboy"]

kieran88

It's a great game! There's currently 35% off with this code:

CODE DETAILS

Yeah that's where I got it and it activates on steam...

Thanks for the tips guys!

One last question before I get back into this... Is there a way to disable this camera refocusing thing? Like I am trying to control my camera on my own accord but it keeps auto moving itself and centering on the people I select, I am getting really tired of it... Is there a way to turn that off?

#10 Posted by IZoMBiEI (6477 posts) -

also, you can save/load abuse like crazy in xcom if things start turning too bad.

#11 Posted by kieran88 (2273 posts) -

also, you can save/load abuse like crazy in xcom if things start turning too bad.

IZoMBiEI
Ironman dont play that sh*t. He does censor swears tho, hardcore.
#12 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -

Why play Ironman? You like the thrill of gambling on a single save game or lack the will to abstain from reloading?

Hard drives fail, bugs happen and Steam Cloud is rubbish. I would never play Ironman.

#13 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

This video I made might help you alot. Not sure what difficulty you're playing, but all these strategies can be used on any difficulty with good results. Anyway here is the guide I made showing my strategical thought process as I play a Terror mission on classic ironman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpkRa_TSgQs&feature=plcp

If you're still having trouble after that watch some of my other newer xcom gameplay vids. you should be good to go after you watch some i believe.

#14 Posted by Masculus (2869 posts) -

I've played the entire campaign and while it's entertaining, overall I don't think it's a good game. There are a number of design problems with it, not to mention the glitches, bugs or it's unpolished state.

#15 Posted by kieran88 (2273 posts) -

Why play Ironman? You like the thrill of gambling on a single save game or lack the will to abstain from reloading?Baranga

both:oops:

#16 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Invest in Satellites early. Seriously start building uplinks and when you do that - buy the amount of Satallites to go with it (and try build them next to eachother for the bonuses). Otherwise all the advice in the thread is absolutely sound. I'd also recommend buying SCOPEs; the increase in accuracy is extremely important when you've got the odds against you. And do not research priority research tasks. Leave them, it advances the plot. Invest in better guns and armour; once you're ready then proceed.

slimjimbadboy
It's fantastic, first game I've sunk hours and hours and hours into so easily in years. Scarily addictive, and it can be hard as nails. Ironman mode is something else, gloriously hard.
#17 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

And do not research priority research tasks. Leave them, it advances the plot. Invest in better guns and armour; once you're ready then proceed.skrat_01

I should have thought of this earlier. I'm right in that rut, where I'm starting to encounter huge alien ships, and lots of heavies on the ground, and I just can't keep up. Desperately trying to get in a few more sattelites.

#18 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]And do not research priority research tasks. Leave them, it advances the plot. Invest in better guns and armour; once you're ready then proceed.the_bi99man

I should have thought of this earlier. I'm right in that rut, where I'm starting to encounter huge alien ships, and lots of heavies on the ground, and I just can't keep up. Desperately trying to get in a few more sattelites.

I had exactly the same problem on Ironman mode, dug myself into a massive hole, twice infact. Hell, it's worth starting a new game imho, when you get onto that fast it makes things unbelievably easier. It's a problem of the game though, it never, ever does a good job tutorialising the importance of satellites and the process of building uplinks. It's like you're destined to fail the first time.
#19 Posted by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

I've played the entire campaign and while it's entertaining, overall I don't think it's a good game. There are a number of design problems with it, not to mention the glitches, bugs or it's unpolished state.

Masculus
Kind of like going to see a movie and being entertained for 2 hours then saying it wasn't a good movie.
#20 Posted by ShimmerMan (4449 posts) -

The game is a game of camper vs camper. If you try to play the game offensively you'll get blown up. So in general play defensively, wait for the aliens to come to you. A good strategy is to get close enough to spot the aliens but not close enough that the aliens can hit your team after you end your turn. Smart use of cover will make this possible. On their turn they'll move closer to get into firing range, on your following turn you then blow them up.

#21 Posted by Threesixtyci (4287 posts) -

Why play Ironman? You like the thrill of gambling on a single save game or lack the will to abstain from reloading?

Hard drives fail, bugs happen and Steam Cloud is rubbish. I would never play Ironman.

Baranga

Doesn't matter much with Xcom:EU anyways. The random generator numbers are seeded to the save file. You can't take the same shot over and over again, because the same shot will always result with the same outcome. You can go overwatch or Hunker down and give that RGN to the alien, but that doesn't exactly give you any guaranty that your next shot will be any better.

Anyway with that game, once you get satellite coverage on all the nations, the game makes a turn to the overly simple.

And if you do lose a country, ignore all the other countries that are part of the bonus. Concentrate on getting as many bonus' as you can, as quick as you can.

Personally, I feel that the Geoscape portion of this game sucks and they could have done much better. Game is completely lacking in muli-tasking. And gives you absolutely no control, in it's mission structure.

#22 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31998 posts) -

1. Do not research priority stuff or pursue storyline missions, as it progresses the plot, which brings along new, tougher enemies; enemies you might not be prepared for. Get all your desired research out of the way, then proceed. You should have laser rifles and better armor before you have arc throwers :P

2. South America. I know instant autopsies and interogations might not seem important, but the research credits it gives you will save you months of time in return. All the other country benefits are striclty monetary, but money is easy to come by. Time is not.

3. Satellites. Honestly one of the most overlooked aspects by most players it seems, satelites = money. Also, they provide a measure of security. Tip: if a country is in the red zone, send a satellite for an instant reduction in panic.

4. Decide early on what countries you can live without (Africa, Asia, Europe, South America, North America). You will lose members, and XCOM is nice enough to give us 3 options when abductions occur. Practice triage; give up what you must in order to keep what benefits you most; do not try to save everyone, or else you have no control what you might lose.