xbox360 won't connect to router (i hope this is the right place to ask this)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

i apologize if this belongs somewhere else but i didn't see any other boards where this would be better suited.

anyways, here's my problem:

my xbox 360 won't connect to my Cisco E1000 Linksys router (or is it a modem? idk). i was using a different Linksys router before this one, and it worked fine, but when my parents got a different internet company, we also got a new router, and i couldn't get it to work with it. my friend, who knows more about tech stuff than i do, tried to get it to work, but he couldn't either. so what he did, was make it so i could just plug an ethernet cable from my 360 to my laptop, and play online like that. but last night, in the middle of me playing Halo Reach online just fine, i got disconnected from xbox live and couldn't connect again. at first, when i tested my connection, it was not connecting to the network, then it would connect to the network, but wouldn't connect to the internet.

not only is it not working now to connect through my laptop, but that method was pretty annoying in the first place, having to move my laptop to the floor, plug it in, etc. i want to actually connect to Xbox Live the way i'm supposed to. but my 360 won't connect to my Linksys E1000.

i tried setting the IP address to automatic, and that wasn't working, so i tried doing a static IP address and it's telling me either i'm putting it in wrong, or the static IP address will not work with my xbox 360. i tried going to xbox.com/networkhelp but all the suggestions they give do not help (big surprise there). i'm thinking about just getting the geek squad to come to my house and getting it to work, but i talked to a guy on the phone and he said it'd cost me about $150 so i'd rather not have to pay that if i can help it.

i THINK the problem is my xbox can't obtain an IP address from my router or modem. but when i tried doing it manually, it didn't work.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 needled24-7

also, i am using a Linksys WGA54G for my xbox 360

Bane_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Bane_v2
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts
My guess is the WGA54G has not been configured to connect to the new router. I'm not familiar with it specifically, but I'd suggest either resetting it's settings so it pulls new info from the new router or logging in to it's web interface and making any changes required. Once the WGA54G has been reconfigured you'll have to reset the 360's settings as well so that they match the new connection info on the gaming adapter.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Did you configure the wireless adapter to accept any new wireless security settings your new modem may have?

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 needled24-7

My guess is the WGA54G has not been configured to connect to the new router. I'm not familiar with it specifically, but I'd suggest either resetting it's settings so it pulls new info from the new router or logging in to it's web interface and making any changes required. Once the WGA54G has been reconfigured you'll have to reset the 360's settings as well so that they match the new connection info on the gaming adapter.Bane_v2
that sounds like it makes sense. i held down the reset button on the WGA54G for over a minute, but the same problem still happens. the xbox suggested that i try and wired connection to make sure it's not a problem with my internet or whatever. i just tried that and i was able to sign on fine.

Did you configure the wireless adapter to accept any new wireless security settings your new modem may have?

Espada12

how do i do that?

btw, there are 3 laptops in our house and they have had no problems connecting to the router.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Espada12

how do i do that?

btw, there are 3 laptops in our house and they have had no problems connecting to the router.

needled24-7

Plug the wireless adapter into the laptop, and use the software that comes with it to change the connection settings to those that are on the new modem.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

This may sound silly but what kind of 360 do you have? That router of yours is wireless n and I believe, that 360s (apart from the new slims) are wireless g.

You may need to set your signal to mixed or g.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 needled24-7

[QUOTE="needled24-7"]

how do i do that?

Espada12

Plug the wireless adapter into the laptop, and use the software that comes with it to change the connection settings to those that are on the new modem.

i bought the wireless adapter back before the 360 came out, i started using it with the first xbox. i have no clue what i did with the software it came with. i plugged the adapter into the laptop to see if i could look at it's settings like that, but nothing popped up saying my laptop had recognized it, and i looked under "network" and "computer" but i didn't see where i could look at it.

should i just buy a new adapter if i can't get it to work? i was thinking about getting the geek squad to come but the guy i talked to on the phone quoted me at $150, and for that much i could just get a new adapter that probably works better than the one i have now, right?

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 needled24-7

This may sound silly but what kind of 360 do you have? That router of yours is wireless n and I believe, that 360s (apart from the new slims) are wireless g.

You may need to set your signal to mixed or g.

Filthybastrd

the E1000 is wireless n? or the WGA54G? because on the WGA54G it says it's a wireless-g.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Filthybastrd

E1000

I'm just thinking that your parents may have attempted to set up the router and in the process gutted you.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 needled24-7

E1000

I'm just thinking that your parents may have attempted to set up the router and in the process gutted you.

Filthybastrd

yep, that is the one we are using. looks like that is my problem then? damn :/

could i buy a wireless-n adapter for my xbox? is that even possible to do?

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Filthybastrd

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

E1000

needled24-7

It's still wireless g compatible. I'm just thinking it may be set specifically to n rather than g or mixed.

Tbh, it's a bit of a longshot but you never know. If I were you I'd get your tech friend to scrutinize the router settings and possibly involve your parents.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 needled24-7

[QUOTE="needled24-7"]

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

E1000

Filthybastrd

It's still wireless g compatible. I'm just thinking it may be set specifically to n rather than g or mixed.

Tbh, it's a bit of a longshot but you never know. If I were you I'd get your tech friend to scrutinize the router settings and possibly involve your parents.

would i have to do that using the disc that came with the router? i have that, but i'm pretty sure we set it up on my mom's laptop. i put the disc in mine, and it said it was searching for my router, but that it couldn't find it?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Xbox-360-N-Wireless-Network-Adapter-Xbox-360-Xbox-360/12510643

^^if i just bought that, would it work do you think?

btw, when my friend tried to get it to work, he was trying for like half an hour and couldn't figure it out.

Bane_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bane_v2
There's no need to buy anything. All of those devices are compatible, they just have to be set up properly. The default mode for the E1000 is mixed, but you never know, maybe your parents changed it to N only. Check to be sure it's wireless is set to mixed.
needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 needled24-7

There's no need to buy anything. All of those devices are compatible, they just have to be set up properly. The default mode for the E1000 is mixed, but you never know, maybe your parents changed it to N only. Check to be sure it's wireless is set to mixed.Bane_v2
i typed the IP address into the address bar and it brought up the setup for the router, but i'm not seeing anywhere where i can change it to g, n, etc.

edit: nevermind, under "status" and "mode" it says "mixed," so assume it should accept both n and g.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Filthybastrd

It's kinda hard to tell without much info..

Could be a MAC adress restriction or a restriction on amount of connections I guess.... I'm not really an expert.

Do you static IP's? It's possible you need to assign one to your 360.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 needled24-7

thanks for trying to help, guys.

Bane_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bane_v2
Here's what I would do if I were in this situation. Basically, it's a network-wide reset: 1. Make sure the E1000 is set to run in Gateway mode, wireless is set to mixed and the DHCP server is enabled. Turn off any MAC filtering. Make a note of your SSID, password and security type. 2. Reset the WGA54G and the 360 network settings. Make sure they're all set to automatic or DHCP. 3. Turn off all network devices (modem, router, 360, etc.) and leave them off for a few minutes. 4. Turn on the modem only and let it connect to your ISP. The lights on it should indicate when it's connected to the internet. 5. Turn on the E1000 next and let it connect to your modem. It also has lights that will indicate it's ready. 6. Turn on the WGA54G next and enter in the SSID and password. In theory it should connect to your wireless network without issues. 7. Turn on the 360 last and it should be given the correct network information from the WGA54G (I guess?). I've never used a bridge like this before so I'm not sure.
needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 needled24-7

still couldn't get it, but i'm probably doing something wrong. either way, i just tried again plugging my laptop into my 360 with the ethernet cable, and it worked. so at least i have a way to play online now :P

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Espada12

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="needled24-7"]

how do i do that?

needled24-7

i bought the wireless adapter back before the 360 came out, i started using it with the first xbox. i have no clue what i did with the software it came with. i plugged the adapter into the laptop to see if i could look at it's settings like that, but nothing popped up saying my laptop had recognized it, and i looked under "network" and "computer" but i didn't see where i could look at it.

should i just buy a new adapter if i can't get it to work? i was thinking about getting the geek squad to come but the guy i talked to on the phone quoted me at $150, and for that much i could just get a new adapter that probably works better than the one i have now, right?

You can try to look on the manufacturer website for the software.

WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

i apologize if this belongs somewhere else but i didn't see any other boards where this would be better suited.

anyways, here's my problem:

my xbox 360 won't connect to my Cisco E1000 Linksys router (or is it a modem? idk). i was using a different Linksys router before this one, and it worked fine, but when my parents got a different internet company, we also got a new router, and i couldn't get it to work with it. my friend, who knows more about tech stuff than i do, tried to get it to work, but he couldn't either. so what he did, was make it so i could just plug an ethernet cable from my 360 to my laptop, and play online like that. but last night, in the middle of me playing Halo Reach online just fine, i got disconnected from xbox live and couldn't connect again. at first, when i tested my connection, it was not connecting to the network, then it would connect to the network, but wouldn't connect to the internet.

not only is it not working now to connect through my laptop, but that method was pretty annoying in the first place, having to move my laptop to the floor, plug it in, etc. i want to actually connect to Xbox Live the way i'm supposed to. but my 360 won't connect to my Linksys E1000.

i tried setting the IP address to automatic, and that wasn't working, so i tried doing a static IP address and it's telling me either i'm putting it in wrong, or the static IP address will not work with my xbox 360. i tried going to xbox.com/networkhelp but all the suggestions they give do not help (big surprise there). i'm thinking about just getting the geek squad to come to my house and getting it to work, but i talked to a guy on the phone and he said it'd cost me about $150 so i'd rather not have to pay that if i can help it.

i THINK the problem is my xbox can't obtain an IP address from my router or modem. but when i tried doing it manually, it didn't work.

needled24-7
Don't get a Geek Squad guy. They are way overpriced and most of them have no clue what they are doing.