Wow my cpu blows can't OC it

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Axecident (1778 posts) -
My 1st time OC and I was doing it slow, each time I would go up 5 mhz and then when I reach to 240 form 200 mhz my pc starts up half way and shuts down. Am like what__ ....   I was getting so happy saw my ram and everything go up. For some reason my bois does not give me option to pick which one to OC. It just OC everything temp went form 31 c to 38. On the speed an test it said core was 51c w/e that means. And showed a red arrow.
Just going to have to wait til I make a uber pc liek you guys that can handle oc.
#2 Posted by Generalkill8888 (5305 posts) -
My 1st time OC and I was doing it slow, each time I would go up 5 mhz and then when I reach to 240 form 200 mhz my pc starts up half way and shuts down. Am like what__ .... I was getting so happy saw my ram and everything go up. For some reason my bois does not give me option to pick which one to OC. It just OC everything temp went form 31 c to 38. On the speed an test it said core was 51c w/e that means. And showed a red arrow.
Just going to have to wait til I make a uber pc liek you guys that can handle oc.
Axecident
Yeh, maybe you dont have an OCing motherboard. I wouldn't recommend OCing if you dont know what your doing.
#3 Posted by TheLiberal (294 posts) -
I had a similar situation, but I'm not upset...
I have a 3800+ X2 Energy Efficient, I can only get to 245MHz (2.45GHz) and I keep it at 234MHz (2.34GHz). I don't really want to get a crazy oc, just looking for a little extra performance.

If you really want to OC crazy, you need to read reviews and find out what boards can get really high cpu clocks and which cpu coolers can keep your cpu's temp down while doing so.
#4 Posted by Baselerd (5104 posts) -
I just overclocked mine to say I effectively have an x2 4600+ :). I got mine up to 2.92 stable on stock air, 1.45 volts. My ram didnt like it though (obviously), and with the best divider I had, the ram wasn't running even at 400MHz. If I had liquid cooled ram, the sky would be the limit.
#5 Posted by TheLiberal (294 posts) -
I just overclocked mine to say I effectively have an x2 4600+ :). I got mine up to 2.92 stable on stock air, 1.45 volts. My ram didnt like it though (obviously), and with the best divider I had, the ram wasn't running even at 400MHz. If I had liquid cooled ram, the sky would be the limit.
Baselerd

You don't need that watercooled money-pit ram.  My Patriot DDRII 667 runs at DDRII 810 at 5-5-5 2T with 1.95V.
2.92GHz is probably the limit for your processor, and I have a feeling your RAM could go higher if you dropped the multiplier.
#6 Posted by LordEC911 (9972 posts) -
Did you keep your ram divider the same?
It most likely is your ram speed is too high...
either turn the ram divider down or the multiplier up.
#7 Posted by bike749 (829 posts) -
dude you must be crazy uo to 5 ghz that why blow up lol
#8 Posted by Baselerd (5104 posts) -
[QUOTE="Baselerd"]I just overclocked mine to say I effectively have an x2 4600+ :). I got mine up to 2.92 stable on stock air, 1.45 volts. My ram didnt like it though (obviously), and with the best divider I had, the ram wasn't running even at 400MHz. If I had liquid cooled ram, the sky would be the limit.
TheLiberal

You don't need that watercooled money-pit ram. My Patriot DDRII 667 runs at DDRII 810 at 5-5-5 2T with 1.95V.
2.92GHz is probably the limit for your processor, and I have a feeling your RAM could go higher if you dropped the multiplier.

I wouldn't ever get liquid cooling on anything.. I was just saying my ram's holding me back. And ~450 is my ram's max, I did turn the divider all the way down, and the multiplier and tested everything systematically... thats how u OC. Max cpu: 270*11=2970MHz Max chipset = 324 MHz Max RAM: (333/400)*270=>224.75*2=449.55MHz I think those are pretty good results =) (those are the speeds that my hardware started to fail)
#9 Posted by codezer0 (15898 posts) -
What kind of stability testing/conditioning/burn-in have you been doing on the machine?I certainly hope you are doing something of the sort on it.
#10 Posted by Axecident (1778 posts) -
My pc is fine it did not blow up. I was saying it blows as in it is wack. I think becasue my video card can't handle the overclockin plus it has no fan. I want tilI get my 7800gs.
#11 Posted by Baselerd (5104 posts) -
What kind of stability testing/conditioning/burn-in have you been doing on the machine?I certainly hope you are doing something of the sort on it.codezer0
If you are talking to me, I use prime 95 for cpu stress test. When testing for max speeds, I keep upping it by 5MHz and run two instances of prime95 on torture test (small FFT's) for about 5 minutes. If no hardware failure is found, I go back and up it by 5MHz. If one is found, I back down 5% for y max speed for the cpu. For RAM, I just use a memory diagnostic boot disc, run it until all tests go through once. For chipset, I go until I fail to boot. Btw I am running everything at stock voltages right now =) cpu idle at 33, load at 38ish.
#12 Posted by codezer0 (15898 posts) -
This is what I personally do for stress testing... a fair bit more intense than yours, but I prefer a 100% stable O/C over going for suicide shots that would only have me in envy about dreaming how cool it'd be if I could run it full-time that way. (1) Record (on paper or some other way) all BIOS settings at stock - to form a baseline. (2) Increase FSB by a certain rate. Insert memtest86+ boot floppy disk. Apply settings and allow reboot. (3) Once Memtest86+ starts, hit 'C' to get the config screen.. set memory size get to 'Probed', then when screen refreshes, hit 'c', then '3' twice to have tests test all RAM. Run for at least two full loops, if possible five-ten loops... if it continues and no errors, eject disk, insert Windows Memory Diagnostic boot floppy, hit 'Esc' to restart (4) As Windiag starts, quickly hit 'T' for running extended test routine... one good loop of that should be plenty. These extra tests feature uncached tests to ensure that the cache memory on the processor is performing properly at this state. If no errors here, eject disk, 'X' to have it reboot and allow boot to Windows. (5) Once in Windows, run an instance of SuperPi @32M once everything's up. If all good, Set up Prime95, or Orthos (which will auto-make an instance for however many cores you have), for blended testing for a minimum of six hours... preferably allow it to overnight. IDEALLY, I'd have it run a full 24 hours. (6) Optionally, for when you're leaving it on overnight, have it run a Burn-in Routine from Sisoft Sandra using the following tests: - CPU arithmetic - CPU multimedia - Memory bandwidth - *VERY OPTIONAL* Cache & memory bandwidth Have it run in the background along with Orthos (7) If all goes well, repeat from step 2 until instability starts to hit (repeatedly) at any of the aforementioned steps.
#13 Posted by KSlater85 (19738 posts) -
If you have a dual core you should run two instances of Super Pi 32M... Oh and I find Vista x64 to be a better stability tester... It only runs on the most stable system... If vista works all the benchmarks are fine.. um as long as vista supports them grrr... No seriouslly if you can't raise the voltage on the motherboard or the CPU is too hot... you won't be overclocking much..