Would you suggest I try Elite Dangerous?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

I've been watching plenty gameplay videos and the such but I still can't tell if I should actually buy it. What I've seen does look cool but if you could answer a few questions maybe you'd help me decide :)

• Are the game's mechanics easily understood? Or are they perhaps too complicated when you start off the first time?
  • Is the gameplay enjoyable with a gamepad or kb/m? I've seen plenty of people talking about joysticks and the such but if it's not necessary I'd rather avoid having to invest in one.
  • Do you consider this to be a good long-term game to spend time on such as what EVE or WoW (to name just a couple) would be for others?
  • Does the game then forgive a lack of continuity or would, say, a month without going online set me back? I'd rather not see my progress die like an Animal Crossing village because I've been busy with exams.

I know it hasn't been out all that long but any opinions you have on any of these matters will help bundles. For the record I have plenty patience with slow-paced games and don't need constant guns-a-blazing to keep me entertained (which isn't to say a space game completely void of action seems all that enticing :P).

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@ianhh6 said:

I've been watching plenty gameplay videos and the such but I still can't tell if I should actually buy it. What I've seen does look cool but if you could answer a few questions maybe you'd help me decide :)

• Are the game's mechanics easily understood? Or are they perhaps too complicated when you start off the first time?
  • Is the gameplay enjoyable with a gamepad or kb/m? I've seen plenty of people talking about joysticks and the such but if it's not necessary I'd rather avoid having to invest in one.
  • Do you consider this to be a good long-term game to spend time on such as what EVE or WoW (to name just a couple) would be for others?
  • Does the game then forgive a lack of continuity or would, say, a month without going online set me back? I'd rather not see my progress die like an Animal Crossing village because I've been busy with exams.

I know it hasn't been out all that long but any opinions you have on any of these matters will help bundles. For the record I have plenty patience with slow-paced games and don't need constant guns-a-blazing to keep me entertained (which isn't to say a space game completely void of action seems all that enticing :P).

You should buy

because

1. they're easily picked up but still have enough depth

2. I bought a 15 euro joystick for it, but with a gamepad it would work fine , maybe even better because it has more buttons than mine

this is the one

3. EVE and wow are very long term but the game is extemely good. There's nothing quite like reaching a planet at several times light speed, decreasing speed and going into the asteroid belt to shoot miners or pirates

4. I don't think so, there are too much noobs, pm me with your username and then you can add me in game. I'll give you golden tips or I can even guide you for a while

5. I you like space, rpg elements (like upgrading) and dogfights, then this is a must have. Did you know it's a perfect copy of the milky way (at least what we know of it, a lot of planets and of course space stations are fantasy)

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Catalli  Moderator

@commander said:

4. I don't think so, there are too much noobs, pm me with your username and then you can add me in game. I'll give you golden tips or I can even guide you for a while

5. I you like space, rpg elements (like upgrading) and dogfights, then this is a must have. Did you know it's a perfect copy of the milky way (at least what we know of it, a lot of planets and of course space stations are fantasy)

Cool, if I end up getting it I'll pm you :)

I had read about the copy of the Milky Way thing, but of course with how much we know about our galaxy I don't consider it too much of a selling point haha

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 commander

@ianhh6 said:

@commander said:

Cool, if I end up getting it I'll pm you :)

I had read about the copy of the Milky Way thing, but of course with how much we know about our galaxy I don't consider it too much of a selling point haha

of our galaxy we know a lot of the stars , but not the planets of course.

There's also software called starry night (that's already over 10 years old) and there was a lot of stuff in there as well

I'm not a guy that has a telescope but I do like astronomy, and to me it's certainly a selling point. Even today i was watching a show on discovery about supermassive black holes and quasars. There a supermassive black hole in the middle of every galaxy and also in ours (the milk way). I searched for it and found it in elite, 25000 lightyears from my location.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I got my hands on the combat training demo, pretty nice control and feel.

Also looked at some streamer on twitch, it looks nice but I'd better put my money on some Eve Online.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

I've been playing bite sized chunks of Elite since its official release and am still earning cash as a trader, but want to eventually get a taste of combat, then ultimately explore the galaxy.

• The gameplay does take getting used to. Everything seems to be reasonably easy to learn but hard to master; combat has hidden layers of depth but it's easy enough to grasp the basics. You're best off spending 30 minutes practising the combat tutorials, give the game manual a read through and visit the Elite beginner forums.
  • The Kb/M is fine but if you do get into the game I'd definitely get a joystick. It's a lot more satisfying, immersive and accurate in combat.
  • I personally don't think that Elite's a game I could drop 100's of hours in like I did with WoW in its current form. It's admittedly quite bare bones; there's no real sense of engagement with the factions and there's only a small variety of missions - none as of yet for exploration, which is odd. But 30 hours into it, I'm still enjoying it and I've only really been trading.
  • You don't lose any progress by not logging, but you don't gain anything like WoW's bonus xp by not logging in. You must always keep spare money by to pay for insurance if you die though, otherwise you could lose your ship and start from scratch. But that's easily rectified by keeping money by.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Catalli  Moderator

@PredatorRules: What were you using?

Edit: btw one new motherboard later everything runs just fine, and it ended up not being complicated at all to keep the OS. Thanks for the help back then :)

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@ianhh6 said:

@PredatorRules: What were you using?

Edit: btw one new motherboard later everything runs just fine, and it ended up not being complicated at all to keep the OS. Thanks for the help back then :)

Glad to hear everything work fine =)

No idea what ship I was using, but I've only tried 1/5 training sessions due to time.

I know for sure it runs great, feels great and look great.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

Depends....if you have never played a game like this and don't have a lot of time then I would say no because it takes a while to learn it.

If you like these kinds of games and have time then yes.

I still have a ton to learn...never played a game like this so it's got a huge learning curve for me. Learning to control your ship is a game in itself.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By commander

@BSC14 said:

Depends....if you have never played a game like this and don't have a lot of time then I would say no because it takes a while to learn it.

I still have a ton to learn...never played a game like this so it's got a huge learning curve for me. Learning to control your ship is a game in itself.

you still can't control your ship, do you use a joystick, gamepad or mouse

I already have an adder btw, killed some pirates

I even pulled over some dudes in hyperspace, they were all scared but I let them go lol

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I really want this game but only from there web site = greee at the moment.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

There coming out with there first patch of the year..Also working on a expansion pack this year..So hopefully they will continue to add things..WIngs is do out next..It will bring hanging with freinds to the table its about time also, took them long enough to add this feature..Been in alpha for a long time than release..Its been amazing watching this game grow really ..

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@cyborg100000 said:

I've been playing bite sized chunks of Elite since its official release and am still earning cash as a trader, but want to eventually get a taste of combat, then ultimately explore the galaxy.

• The gameplay does take getting used to. Everything seems to be reasonably easy to learn but hard to master; combat has hidden layers of depth but it's easy enough to grasp the basics. You're best off spending 30 minutes practising the combat tutorials, give the game manual a read through and visit the Elite beginner forums.
  • The Kb/M is fine but if you do get into the game I'd definitely get a joystick. It's a lot more satisfying, immersive and accurate in combat.
  • I personally don't think that Elite's a game I could drop 100's of hours in like I did with WoW in its current form. It's admittedly quite bare bones; there's no real sense of engagement with the factions and there's only a small variety of missions - none as of yet for exploration, which is odd. But 30 hours into it, I'm still enjoying it and I've only really been trading.
  • You don't lose any progress by not logging, but you don't gain anything like WoW's bonus xp by not logging in. You must always keep spare money by to pay for insurance if you die though, otherwise you could lose your ship and start from scratch. But that's easily rectified by keeping money by.

if you wanna make a few million credits per hour, trade rares between sectors. Made about 8mil today, myself in an Asp. Good way to keep your wallet in check and let you try multiple ships at once

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

@commander said:

@BSC14 said:

you still can't control your ship, do you use a joystick, gamepad or mouse

I already have an adder btw, killed some pirates

I even pulled over some dudes in hyperspace, they were all scared but I let them go lol

joystick....thrustmaster

But I have not really given it the time to really learn the game yet.