Worst Gamespot Review?

• 147 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Stowik (1222 posts) -

So which Gamespot review of a game do you think missed the mark the most?

I can think of two...

Ultima Online...4.9

Hammer & Sickle...3.6

Before I get banned, I do think Gamespot does a good job reviewing games OVERALL. I just thought these two were unnecessarily harsh. ALSO, it's more of an art than a science reviewing games...there is a lot of subjective opinion involved...

Just curious

#2 Posted by sSubZerOo (43016 posts) -
Oblivion.. a 9.5 for a completely subpar rpg if you can even call it that.
#3 Posted by GodLovesDead (9752 posts) -
Ultima Online definitely. I'd also say World of Warcraft, Gears of War, and I'm sure I can come up with many more. EDIT: And definitely Oblivion! I can't blame Gamespot for me buying it since I pre-ordered the CE but holy crap I regret that purchase.
#4 Posted by Buffalo_Soulja (13151 posts) -

Gee where do I start...

Numbers don't mean crap anyway. You can't attribute such and absolute form to a game's quality.

#5 Posted by Siofen (987 posts) -
A review that irked me the most is "The Dig". It got a really REALLY low score on gamespot, but it's one of my most favorite games of all time.
#6 Posted by biggest_loser (24007 posts) -

Oblivion 9.3 PC

San Andreas 9.0

Thief Deadly Shadows: Only 8.3

Episode 1: Only 8.7

#7 Posted by JP_Russell (12893 posts) -
Riven was pretty bad. 7.8? My ass.
#8 Posted by dos4gw82 (1896 posts) -
They gave Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within an 8.3. AN 8.3! PC gamer gave it a %98. It's one of the best adventure games of all time, and was arguably the best thing to come out of the FMV era.
#9 Posted by Stowik (1222 posts) -

They gave Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within an 8.3. AN 8.3! PC gamer gave it a %98. It's one of the best adventure games of all time, and was arguably the best thing to come out of the FMV era.dos4gw82

Never played it but I remember hearing about it. By the way, what does "FMV" stand for??

#10 Posted by JP_Russell (12893 posts) -
Full motion video.
#11 Posted by dos4gw82 (1896 posts) -

A review that irked me the most is "The Dig". It got a really REALLY low score on gamespot, but it's one of my most favorite games of all time. Siofen

The Dig was a superb game. There were major problems with the art direction, but the story, puzzles, and voice acting were amazing.

For some reason, Gamespot has always rated adventure games unfairly low. Full Throttle, an 8.7!? Come on! Only 5 games are above the 9.0 mark, and not a single one is higher than 9.3. The hype-fest Halo 3 got a 9.5. Something is clearly wrong here.

#12 Posted by dos4gw82 (1896 posts) -

[QUOTE="dos4gw82"]They gave Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within an 8.3. AN 8.3! PC gamer gave it a %98. It's one of the best adventure games of all time, and was arguably the best thing to come out of the FMV era.Stowik

Never played it but I remember hearing about it. By the way, what does "FMV" stand for??

Yeah, full motion video. GKBW was a rare gem in a big pile of godawful games.

#13 Posted by artur79 (4679 posts) -
It's all about personal taste. It's silly to assume that reviewers are writing objective and neutral articles about games. They have preferences just like any of us. I stopped caring about scores a long time ago, unless it's a 4 or something, then you know something is up.
#14 Posted by miladesn2 (933 posts) -
FMV -> Full Motion Video
#15 Posted by dos4gw82 (1896 posts) -

It's all about personal taste. It's silly to assume that reviewers are writing objective and neutral articles about games. They have preferences just like any of us. I stopped caring about scores a long time ago, unless it's a 4 or something, then you know something is up.artur79

In the case of The Dig, it was a 4. And it deserved far more than that. If gamespot doesn't have a reviewer that can recognize a good adventure game, they should make an effort to get one.

#16 Posted by artur79 (4679 posts) -

[QUOTE="artur79"]It's all about personal taste. It's silly to assume that reviewers are writing objective and neutral articles about games. They have preferences just like any of us. I stopped caring about scores a long time ago, unless it's a 4 or something, then you know something is up.dos4gw82

In the case of The Dig, it was a 4. And it deserved far more than that. If gamespot doesn't have a reviewer that can recognize a good adventure game, they should make an effort to get one.

Don't think I've played that one, so I would not know who to trust: you or GS.

#17 Posted by claytoma (1508 posts) -
Freedom Fighters, that game was absolute crap and it got a 9.3
#18 Posted by visceron (2160 posts) -
Kane and Lynch 6.0 by gamespot and 3.9 by users? This is clearly a bunch of bs. The game is obviously worthy of 8.0 or higher. The gamespot users clearly flamed the game over a reviewer being fired. If the reviewer wanted to keep his job, he should have followed Gamespot's ideals.
#19 Posted by dos4gw82 (1896 posts) -
[QUOTE="dos4gw82"]

[QUOTE="artur79"]It's all about personal taste. It's silly to assume that reviewers are writing objective and neutral articles about games. They have preferences just like any of us. I stopped caring about scores a long time ago, unless it's a 4 or something, then you know something is up.artur79

Then compare it to other reviews. Look under "The Press Says"

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/dig

#20 Posted by Stowik (1222 posts) -
[QUOTE="dos4gw82"]

[QUOTE="artur79"]It's all about personal taste. It's silly to assume that reviewers are writing objective and neutral articles about games. They have preferences just like any of us. I stopped caring about scores a long time ago, unless it's a 4 or something, then you know something is up.artur79

Artur79, it sounds like you don't like the idea of assigning numbers to games so I don't see why you are interested in posting here. Regarding "The Dig", I haven't played it either but based on my experience with Gamespot and playing games, I would say it looks as though they assigned some numbers to it (which you don't like) that a large portion of the gaming community would describe as "off".

For example, on Gamespot's page for "The Dig", 536 users gave it an average score of "8.4", while 6 critics gave it an average score of "7.5". If you look into numbers such as these, you can find some trends that tell a story deeper than just looking at one score.

Based on these numbers, in the case of "The Dig", I would trust dos4gw82 over Gamespot.

#21 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18331 posts) -
Big rigs.. should have been given a 10 instead of 1.0.. they put the "." in the wrong place ;)
#22 Posted by _Pedro_ (6829 posts) -

Kane and Lynch 6.0 by gamespot and 3.9 by users? This is clearly a bunch of bs. The game is obviously worthy of 8.0 or higher. The gamespot users clearly flamed the game over a reviewer being fired. If the reviewer wanted to keep his job, he should have followed Gamespot's ideals.visceron

lol where do you live? North Korea? Here we like to think that we have something called freedom of press.

#23 Posted by sykonfc (607 posts) -

Big rigs.. should have been given a 10 instead of 1.0.. they put the "." in the wrong place ;) Rattlesnake_8

LMAO - I remember seeing PCGamer absolutely slam that game.

#24 Posted by johan1986 (4764 posts) -
You cant even call it a game
#25 Posted by dos4gw82 (1896 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"]Big rigs.. should have been given a 10 instead of 1.0.. they put the "." in the wrong place ;) sykonfc

LMAO - I remember seeing PCGamer absolutely slam that game.

Of course, if it were listed as an adventure game, it would probably have recieved a score of -1.0

#26 Posted by rmlr435 (113 posts) -
Bioshock shoulda gotten 9.5. Oblivion was given a 9.3 even though the PC version is cleary superior to its limited console counterparts.
#27 Posted by Darth_Kane (2966 posts) -

Halo 3, Oblivion, SMG, Freedom Fighters were all overrated and should have gotten lower scores

Vampire-Bloodlines,The Witcher, Mass Effect, Jade Empire, The Dig, Discworld 2, Gabriel Knight 3, Syberia 2 were all underrated and should have gotten higher scores

#28 Posted by TA127 (774 posts) -

graded too high- Sins, SupCom

graded too low - BFME 2 ex, HOMM V, and especially- Dark Messiah.

#29 Posted by Tuzolord (1285 posts) -
Dark Messiah (PC) I had a great experience playing through this Game and yet it only got a 6.7. I find it almost as good as Thief.
#30 Posted by whitey_rolls (2482 posts) -
There are of course reviews i don't agree with but as the original poster said i think gamespot generally goes quite a good job but i'd like to see them doing more video reviews for PC games, i find now they really have slacked off on doing them for PC anyways .... The one that really stands out that i really do not agree with is Gears of War the game was horrible, but then again i think that of the majoity of shooters
#31 Posted by artur79 (4679 posts) -

I like numbers. I might come off as anti-numberish, but let me explain. Gamescores for me are a way to show the rest of the community what I think about this or that game. By comparing my scores to someone else's I see that we either A) have roughly same tastes or B) we disagree on a lot of key-titles. I use gamescores to judge whether I should take an advise from another user such as "Play the Witcher!" seriously or not.

I don't trust scores because sometimes I don't agree with user-scores (for example Half Life) and sometimes I don't agree with review-scores (too many to mention). I like to make up my own mind, but I admit that a user score like 9.2 is a good indication that a game is awesome. Does not mean I automatically will love it though.

#32 Posted by Hector_01 (204 posts) -

Halo 3, Oblivion, SMG, Freedom Fighters were all overrated and should have gotten lower scores

Vampire-Bloodlines,The Witcher, Mass Effect, Jade Empire, The Dig, Discworld 2, Gabriel Knight 3, Syberia 2 were all underrated and should have gotten higher scores

Darth_Kane

I agree with you on all the games above except SMG. No offence but that game was not overated at all and the fact that it received one of the highest score averages of all time i think you may be out voted. Halo 3 on the other hand was the biggest overhyped piece of crap i have ever played. Didnt deserve even a 9 in my books.

Vampire-Bloodlines was a great game but it was so buggy and unfinished that it was painful to play sometimes and i think that is the reason why it got a lower score. I think Metroid Prime 3 deserved a higher score than what it got on GS. Assasins Creed shouldnt have got a 9. That game was so repetitive it was boring.

#33 Posted by onuruca (2872 posts) -
every review of them is either over-rated or low-rated. so i never care about gamespot's reviews.
#34 Posted by onuruca (2872 posts) -
but the worst: that fat guy's k&l score and 6 with a words of 'don't play this game' which K&L deserved a score between 7-8.
#35 Posted by gamerguy845 (2074 posts) -
the best gamespot rating was by far: ...... BIG RIGS! the best game ever!
#36 Posted by biggest_loser (24007 posts) -
Deus Ex - 8.2
#37 Posted by repercometh (114 posts) -

Kane and Lynch 6.0 by gamespot and 3.9 by users? This is clearly a bunch of bs. The game is obviously worthy of 8.0 or higher. The gamespot users clearly flamed the game over a reviewer being fired. If the reviewer wanted to keep his job, he should have followed Gamespot's ideals.visceron

umm, not it isn't kane and lynch is not a good game, only crap like that sells well on console.

Any COD4 or Halo 3 reviews, not just gamespot. Those games are so overrated, there is a picture of them next to overrated in the dictionary. Actually, add Gears of War to the list, amazing how such an arcadey, repetitive game is classed as a Killer app, lol.

The witcher, deserved much higher, easily the best RPG in years, in the top 5 of all time.

#38 Posted by biggest_loser (24007 posts) -
I just don't see how a game like San Andreas with no story, primitive graphics and controls, terrible AI and very familiar game play can get a score of 90, editors choice etc. Its perposterous!
#39 Posted by 1nverted (1654 posts) -
Tony Hawk 3 - 10/10.
#40 Posted by Swiftstrike5 (6950 posts) -
SupCom(8.7) vs. C&C3 (9.0)
#41 Posted by dos4gw82 (1896 posts) -

Deus Ex - 8.2 biggest_loser

My God.

#42 Posted by litewo (333 posts) -

Ultima Online...4.9Stowik

Did you actually play Ultima Online when they handed out that score? It was a laggy mess for months.

#43 Posted by gotcha455 (2611 posts) -
Oblivion for 2 reasons, one for being too high of a score, two for giving the PC version a lower score then the 360/PS3 versions.
#44 Posted by mfsa (3328 posts) -

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines: Underrated

System Shock 2: Underrated

The Witcher: Underrated

BioShock: Overrated

Oblivion: Overrated

Gears of War: Overrated

Take your pick.

#45 Posted by NEOSPARKING (1264 posts) -

gears of war overrated

CnC 3 MASSIVLY OVERRATED
Rogue Galaxy dont agree I just think the game flat out sucks
BIOSHOCK overrated
gothic 3 - underrated

#46 Posted by sc_ajk29 (564 posts) -

Age of Empires II (9.1): 9.1 my foot. That game deserves a VERY low 8 or even a 7.

Age of Empires III (8.2): If AO2 deserves a 9.1, then AOE3 deserves a 10.

#47 Posted by naval (11109 posts) -
8.2 for dues ex is maaaddnesss. nitpicking over the lock picking mechanism ignoring other aspects of such a great game. i still cannot beleve it
#48 Posted by pigonthewing (380 posts) -

Gotta stick up for bioshock i think it deserved a higher score. Never appreciated a game so much.

But to mention something that hasnt been mentioned is NHL 08. It deserved alot more than an 8.5 in my opinion. Its one of the best sports games in a long time and this is coming from someone who isnt even big on hockey. Personally i have alot of trouble finding decent reviews for any sports game.

#49 Posted by Stowik (1222 posts) -
[QUOTE="Stowik"]

Ultima Online...4.9litewo

Did you actually play Ultima Online when they handed out that score? It was a laggy mess for months.

No, I did not. I really had a good time playing UO with great people but missed the horrible launch. So yea, it might have deserved that score at the time.

#50 Posted by mechwarrior_bob (1789 posts) -

I just don't see how a game like San Andreas with no story, primitive graphics and controls, terrible AI and very familiar game play can get a score of 90, editors choice etc. Its perposterous!biggest_loser

Agreed; wen't over to my friends house to play this and I asked him when it was released cause it look really really old...

Overrated: Oblivion (somewhere around 7.5-8 ) Halo 3 ( 8 )

Underrated: Episode 1 (easily a 9.5)

That's all I can think of atm...