Workstations or Custom built PC's?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by geniobastardo (975 posts) -

I've been wondering for a while now that which one is better. Considering the specs,I found workstations to be a bit cheaper when compared to their custom-built counterpart with the same specs. I don't have much information about the performance but the specs of the workstations seems like a full-fledged gaming PC. I still have doubts about which one is better because as far as my knowledge goes, workstations are business PC's, aren't they?

#2 Posted by PredatorRules (7095 posts) -

It depends on the GPU of that workstation, usually a serious one would have Quadro of FirePro GPUs that meant for working only and not gaming.

#3 Edited by Horgen (109965 posts) -

Workstations GPU are mediocre at best for gaming. And cost a lot more I believe.

#4 Posted by geniobastardo (975 posts) -

Workstations GPU are mediocre at best for gaming. And cost a lot more I believe.

A close friend of mine just bought a workstation with the following specs :
2 Xeon Dual core processors 2.6 ghz
8 gb fully bufffered DDR3 memory
160 gb hard drive (he was out of budget on this one)
Integrated nvidia high profile gpu (I don't exactly know the model)

The total cost of this PC with other things was $180. Considering these specs, isn't it a bit cheaper. But if they really aren't good for gaming then this case is set.

#5 Posted by kraken2109 (12950 posts) -

@horgen123 said:

The total cost of this PC with other things was $180. Considering these specs, isn't it a bit cheaper. But if they really aren't good for gaming then this case is set.

That sounds like a very odd system.

Why have 2 dual cores CPUs when you could get a single quad (or hex, or octo)

160GB HDD? Is this 2002?

GPU means nothing without a model.

#6 Posted by PredatorRules (7095 posts) -

Well it's not worth more than that, I can build you a pretty decent updated gaming rig for 500$.

Also this isn't a real work station, work station PCs cost a lot more, much more.

10000$ is heavy duty work station cost.

#7 Posted by BattleSpectre (5952 posts) -

I doubt an $180 workstation is better than a custom built rig. Having said that good luck trying to find a "gaming" PC for under $180. Most workstations are let down by the GPU.

#8 Posted by Arthas045 (5060 posts) -

Most work stations end up coming out pretty expensive. A custom built PC in my mind is the only way to go. You get what you want and get so much more for less $$$.

#9 Posted by geniobastardo (975 posts) -

@PredatorRules: I got my answer. Thank you all for your cooperation. But what if we insert a gpu in a workstation, can it work better for gaming then?

#10 Posted by PredatorRules (7095 posts) -

@PredatorRules: I got my answer. Thank you all for your cooperation. But what if we insert a gpu in a workstation, can it work better for gaming then?

Of course it will.

#11 Posted by geniobastardo (975 posts) -
#12 Edited by Horgen (109965 posts) -

@horgen123 said:

That's hardly a workstation. A good workstation CPU alone costs enough to make a decent gaming computer. GPU wise we need to know the model.

When it comes to gaming CPU wise, having fewer cores with a higher clocks still beats 8+ cores with lower clock speed. GPU wise you can get cards that are on paper the same as the 780Ti, however the driver is different making it not suitable for gaming. I am not going to say it sucks balls, however you might double or triple the performance gaming wise going from a Tesla GPU to a GeForce GPU.