Wolfenstein the new order

#1 Posted by uninspiredcup (6938 posts) -

Hello. I managed to pick this up super cheap today for £20.

It's installing as a type this, but, for some reason, will take 4 hours. *shrug*

Does this feel like a pc game? i.e. RCTW? Or a console game ported over with crap like two weapons at a time? RTCW is one of my fav shooters and the 2009 game just pissed me off.

#2 Edited by 04dcarraher (19001 posts) -

The new order is nothing like RTCW. its linear, basically a run and gun game, story for the most part is interesting. Good thing you got it cheap because its not worth the full retail price. Also this game seems to run off the id tech 5 engine so it does thrash the hard drive. For being 50+gb it does not look as good as it should.

#3 Posted by uninspiredcup (6938 posts) -

Alright. £20 isn't bad for a so-so game. Thanks for the info.

#4 Edited by uninspiredcup (6938 posts) -

Weapon wheel. Big icons showing the player where to go. Long, incredibly scripted "press x on item". Iron-sights. Multiple on the rail sections. Forced paths.

Who the fuck are the people saying this is "old school"? Nothing like old school so far. Unless old school qualifies as Call Of Duty: United Offensive which the opening sequence is almost a copy-paste of.

What the fuck? Did this guy win a review job in a raffle ticket sale or something?

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/wolfenstein-the-new-order-review/1900-6415765/

It's even got chest high fences you can't get over.

#5 Posted by with_teeth26 (5993 posts) -

Its pretty good, the gunplay is great, it has some more open areas and the pacing is well done. Its in the vein of Shadow Warrior or Bulletstorm so its pretty arcadey.

The only thing that annoyed me were these weird fetch quests you do between main missions and the fact that ID Tech 5 is a shitty engine.

#6 Posted by uninspiredcup (6938 posts) -

I hope it gets better. The first half hour is fucking horrible. By contrast within the first 20 odd minutes of Shadow Warrior I was engaged in the character, the story, the setting, the gun-play and swords play.

#7 Posted by couly (5795 posts) -

I enjoyed it more than WatchDogs

#8 Posted by SgtSutton (319 posts) -

I thought it was awesome. Best campaign I've played in a shooter in a while. Are you exploring at all? I know its pretty linear, but there are lots of hidden rooms. Plus how open world do you want a shooter to be?

#9 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23369 posts) -

It has a 60fps cap, again. id really showing their love of the pc.

#10 Posted by Postmortem123 (7568 posts) -

It has a 60fps cap, again. id really showing their love of the pc.

Really?

#11 Edited by quakke (166 posts) -

Weapon wheel. Big icons showing the player where to go. Long, incredibly scripted "press x on item". Iron-sights. Multiple on the rail sections. Forced paths.

Who the fuck are the people saying this is "old school"? Nothing like old school so far. Unless old school qualifies as "PIECE OF SHIT TURD ROLL": United Offensive which the opening sequence is almost a copy-paste of.

What the fuck? Did this guy win a review job in a raffle ticket sale or something?

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/wolfenstein-the-new-order-review/1900-6415765/

It's even got chest high fences you can't get over.

Weaponwheel=no weaponlimit in WTNO unlike in modern bad FPS.

There is no "press X" at any time, atleast not in form of QTE. WTNO has zero QTE because Riddick dev knows how stupid QTE's are.

Ironsights add zero to your accuracy. You hit 100% fine from hip. See that WTNO trailer where guy from far distance was killed with a handgun, AND DO IT FOR YOURSELF IN THE GAME. Aimdowisights is not forced in WTNO, it's not shitty CoD BF, it knows Wolfenstein 3D and it didn't have lamedownsights

It's as Old School as this idiot modern gamer audience can tolerate. If it went full Old School like this map on the left it would be cried about.

Original sixth map from DOOM 1 (E1M6/ Central Processing) so that image is not fake. Maps actually have gone to that shit. Although, WTNO atleast lets you go through rooms but it's indeed not as non-linear as i thought it would be.

http://www.classicdoom.com/maps/d1maps/e1m6.htm

Overall, WTNO is better than any Call series game ever and any SP BF game either. WTNO is best AAA release FPS in about 7 years (that's how long Spunkgargleweewee has stayed alive).

#12 Posted by KHAndAnime (13165 posts) -

I hope it gets better. The first half hour is fucking horrible. By contrast within the first 20 odd minutes of Shadow Warrior I was engaged in the character, the story, the setting, the gun-play and swords play.

It does get better. The first half hour of any videogame never made me laugh so hard. The intro to the game is so badly scripted and put together, it's in a dimension of its own...

It's like they took every CoD cliche' they could and crammed it all in. Gone are the good old days of a gradual build-up of action.

#13 Edited by uninspiredcup (6938 posts) -

The PC port for this is terrible.

1. Shift+CTRL for sprint slide... really?

2. A weapon wheel pops up, you can't use mouse look so you end up

using the WASD while looking straight forward rather than the mouse wheel just working like a mouse wheel should. Died multiple times because of shitty design.

The game loads up fast but I'm forced to sit through 25 seconds of credits before it starts. Playing on Uber, I die al ot, when I die, I am constantly having to wait for 15 seconds then press "e" to indicate I'm ready.

Fuck this, going back to Shadow Warrior.

#14 Edited by nutcrackr (12284 posts) -

First hour is horrible, but it doesn't get much better. Certainly not a PC old school shooter unless old school is 2 months ago.

I have no idea why designers thought it was a good idea to make people pick up all the items after a bit of combat. Hunt for the armor / weapon / health is practically half the game.

#15 Posted by uninspiredcup (6938 posts) -

To be fair, that is old school. Old games like Doom, Quake, unreal e.t.c.. encouraged exploration with reward.

Unreal was actually pretty cool in that regard.

#16 Posted by nutcrackr (12284 posts) -

To be fair, that is old school. Old games like Doom, Quake, unreal e.t.c.. encouraged exploration with reward.

Unreal was actually pretty cool in that regard.

Not by forcing you to press a button to pick up items. Old games you just walk over them.