Windows update slows PC down/steam. Help Me!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By RenegadeSteve
Member since 2013 • 262 Posts

Alright here's the problem ever since last week Microsoft came out with 30 something updates for Windows 8.1. After installing the updates I noticed Google chrome kept loading, outlook, youtube wouldn't even load then it would say my internet was disconnected which it wasn't. The steam store would do the same then after while a message on steam would say enable Java. So then i did a recovery to the day before & just installed the windows defender updates instead of the ones for the system. Then everything worked just like before the updates

Then other day I installed the system remaining updates then my pc went all crazy again just like before. This time it wouldn't even load chrome and the steam store was out of the question.

So is anybody else having problems with the 8.1 updates like I am? Also none of my adblockers seems to work either

egger7577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 egger7577
Member since 2004 • 721 Posts

Are you using a legal version of Windows? I had problems like this year's ago with XP using Windows "Thrasher" edition. Thrasher was the name of the guy that gave me a burnt copy but I had similar issues. Anyways I reinstalled regular Windows.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RenegadeSteve

@egger7577: I'm using a legit version I bought last august, it seems to be the recently released updates that are causing me problems

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

My serious guess would be it's updated your network drivers to broken/incorrect ones.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@renegadesteve said:

Alright here's the problem ever since last week Microsoft came out with 30 something updates for Windows 8.1. After installing the updates I noticed Google chrome kept loading, outlook, youtube wouldn't even load then it would say my internet was disconnected which it wasn't. The steam store would do the same then after while a message on steam would say enable Java. So then i did a recovery to the day before & just installed the windows defender updates instead of the ones for the system. Then everything worked just like before the updates

Then other day I installed the system remaining updates then my pc went all crazy again just like before. This time it wouldn't even load chrome and the steam store was out of the question.

So is anybody else having problems with the 8.1 update like I am? Also none of my adblockers seems to work either

Like Kraken said, have a look to see if it has installed hardware drivers.

Also a tip, I always install updates 2-3 weeks after they release, not straight away in case there is a fault with them.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RenegadeSteve

@kraken2109 said:

My serious guess would be it's updated your network drivers to broken/incorrect ones.

I've reset my windows update components a couple times and it seems to work for about 10 minutes then the dame thing seems too slow it down again. I have checked the drivers and its says their up to date.

@FelipeInside said:

@renegadesteve said:

So is anybody else having problems with the 8.1 update like I am? Also none of my adblockers seems to work either

Also a tip, I always install updates 2-3 weeks after they release, not straight away in case there is a fault with them.

It's one of the 18 updates for the based systems, I just don't know which one and to be honest I really don't want too sit here and have to try each one and then keep doing a recovery point every dam time it goes out just to find out they all don't work, know what I mean.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside

@renegadesteve said:

@kraken2109 said:

I've reset my windows update components a couple times and it seems to work for about 10 minutes then the dame thing seems too slow it down again. I have checked the drivers and its says their up to date.

@FelipeInside said:

@renegadesteve said:

It's one of the 18 updates for the based systems, I just don't know which one and to be honest I really don't want too sit here and have to try each one and then keep doing a recovery point every dam time it goes out just to find out they all don't work, know what I mean.

Then just disable all 18 and wait for the next batch :)

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RenegadeSteve

@FelipeInside: Yeah that's what I plan on doing, my desktop seems to working properly without them

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I had like 29 Windows 8.1 updates install on March 12 followed by two more on March 14. No problems so far with both a gaming laptop using WiFi and my gaming PC using wired Ethernet.

But, yeah. Once in a while a rogue Windows update gets through.

I usually go through each one before installing them.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Use System restore.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RenegadeSteve

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I had like 29 Windows 8.1 updates install on March 12 followed by two more on March 14. No problems so far with both a gaming laptop using WiFi and my gaming PC using wired Ethernet.

But, yeah. Once in a while a rogue Windows update gets through.

I usually go through each one before installing them.

yeah same here, i should try that method for uploading from now on

@Gaming-Planet said:

Use System restore.

I have since last week I lost count after doing it 3x, I think I'm gonna go with the method that Jun does and see if anything happens

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside

@Gaming-Planet said:

Use System restore.

Maybe read his whole post before commenting? lol.....

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

@renegadesteve:

It could also be your HDD going bad..

I'd just re-install the OS, give Windows 10 a try while you're at it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso