• 165 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jcknapier711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 jcknapier711
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

I was really expecting to like it. I had positive expectancy going in. I don't care about a start menu and my issue with it is not the metro interface. You can just choose not to use metro. Simple. It's just a combination of little annoyances that add up it an intolerable 'user experience.' That is to say, that I use my computer to accomplish certain tasks and these things get in the way of doing them.

Like, the fact you can't create shortcuts where ever you want them to be. MS might contend that the software is their property, but the magnetic media which it is stored on is still my property and I can put whatever I want on it where ever I want it to be. But MS thinks otherwise.

No, crappy Win95esque themes. I hate the stupid cartoony XP/7/8 themes. The high contrast theme is almost tolerable, but then it forks your browsers ability to render webpages. This is practically a deal killer to me. I know it's just aesthetics, but I just want a simple theme that isn't loud. Both the default theme and the high contrast themes are like something out of a bad 1970s Hanna Barbara cartoon.

Then there's the fact it has to constantly remind you where start menu is, as if you're some mind numbing cretin incapable of remembering where your fingers are.

The new hotmail/user account hybrids would be ok, if they didn't nerf your username. I need a specific username to access shares on my linux server. This is not possible with my live account. I can forsee a day where MS removes legacy user account support altogether.

I have more issues than this, I just have to go to work now. I'm sure there will be a few knee jerk reaction Win8 defenders. I really wanted to be a Win8 defender and I was really willing to give it a chance. I had a positive impression of it when I tried it out in a virtual machine, but now that I've installed it I'm considering going back to 7 or hoping SteamOS is a viable alternative if Win9 is just as horrible.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Just get start8 and be done with metro.

Windows 8 blows though, can't change my mouse polling rate on 8 since hidusb tweak isn't supported.

AngelOnFira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By AngelOnFira
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Geez windows 8 is the bomb. When i turn it on i go right to the desktop. It boots in 10 seconds, better then 1 min with windows 7, it faster all around, and has nearly the same layout as windows 7. I find that people dont like windows 8 if they dont know how to use it, cause it can be hard. Check out this tutorial vid, it will show you the basics.

Windows 8 Tutorial

8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts

Windows 8 is fine, well 8.1 is. Now waiting for SteamOS to be a viable alternative to Windows 9? Jesus Christ, you do realize SteamOS is only big picture mode in a silly console-esque PC setup right? It's not going to even come close to competing with Windows.

Anyway, there's a chance that MS will further improve W8 with a future update, so you might wanna hang in there.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

If Windows 8 bothers you that much, just try Manjaro Linux. It's almost too easy to use and you have plenty of options regarding themes, effects, and where to put your gosh darn shortcuts. Boot it up via a USB stick and play around with it.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Currently using W8.1 and I've already got used to it; hell it's easier to search for programs, no need in start menu or start button.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

Format and install Windows 7. 8 is a complete disaster on desktops and laptops.

MS demolished a perfectly good desktop OS to try to leverage Windows based mobile devices no one actually wants.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

@angelonfira said:

Geez windows 8 is the bomb. When i turn it on i go right to the desktop. It boots in 10 seconds, better then 1 min with windows 7, it faster all around, and has nearly the same layout as windows 7. I find that people dont like windows 8 if they dont know how to use it, cause it can be hard. Check out this tutorial vid, it will show you the basics.

Windows 8 Tutorial

You probably have an SSD.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@angelonfira said:

Windows 8 Tutorial

And if you have an SSD Windows 7 will also boot in 10 seconds.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 _SKatEDiRt_

@bigfootpart2 said:

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@angelonfira said:

Windows 8 Tutorial

And if you have an SSD Windows 7 will also boot in 10 seconds.

Yes yes

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@angelonfira said:

Windows 8 Tutorial

You probably don't know how fast a PC can boot up with SSD; my old Corsair Force/G.Skill Pheonix (SATA2) with 250Mb Read/Write could boot up in 5 sec; The new SATA3 500Mb read/write is so fast your PC will boot up in 3 sec.

I currently not using one and my PC boot up fully in 10 sec.

Ornjlightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#12 Ornjlightning
Member since 2010 • 455 Posts

My biggest beef is how difficult it is to change any setting. 8.1 is a little better, but not by much. It has to pull up this irritating interface to change minor things that would have been fine in the normal interface. Plus, it's sometimes difficult to troubleshoot because it seems to hide what's really going on behind an "easy to use" interface, which, if I wasn't a tech person, would drive me crazy.

I also experience lag and other problems like I've never seen before. I really hate it.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_

@PredatorRules said:
@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@angelonfira said:

Windows 8 Tutorial

You probably don't know how fast a PC can boot up with SSD; my old Corsair Force/G.Skill Pheonix (SATA2) with 250Mb Read/Write could boot up in 5 sec; The new SATA3 500Mb read/write is so fast your PC will boot up in 3 sec.

Dang thats crazy. mine doesnt even start loading windows at 10 seconds. im on a 1tb HD with 526GB left. fully defragged

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GeryGo  Moderator

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@PredatorRules said:
@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@angelonfira said:

Windows 8 Tutorial

Dang thats crazy. mine doesnt even start loading windows at 10 seconds. im on a 1tb HD with 526GB left. fully defragged

7200rpm, 64Mb buffer?

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@PredatorRules said:
@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@angelonfira said:

Windows 8 Tutorial

7200rpm, 64Mb buffer?

I have never seen an HDD boot up windows in nearly 10 seconds unless it was a fresh installed copy with nothing on it.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts

the pdf app is one the most unintuitive, poorly designed things the world has ever seen. other than that, after a few tweaks and a 20 minute initial adjustment period, it's fine as an os

ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts

The OS is fine. I've been using it since launched and then updated to 8.1 when it came out and has worked flawlessly.

At first it took me some time getting used to the new interface, but after a week its been second nature.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_

@Nick3306 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@PredatorRules said:
@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@angelonfira said:

Windows 8 Tutorial

7200rpm, 64Mb buffer?

I have never seen an HDD boot up windows in nearly 10 seconds unless it was a fresh installed copy with nothing on it.

@PredatorRules 7200RPM 32MB buffer.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

In a home environment, I've gotten a little used to it and it wasn't as bad as I once thought (though I still prefer 7). In a business environment, the thing is horrible. We've had so many issues relating to domain administration, to user administration, etc, etc.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

i had to get windows 8.1 since windows 7 has a 16GB ram limit for home premium. i would rather learn windows 8 than pay the extra for windows 7 pro.

i got my head around it in a few hours and spend 99% of my time on the desktop. it doesnt looks as nice as windows 7 imho. not a big deal mind.

its almost like there are 2 seperate OSs running though. metro is all about the MS eco system. i dont use an MS account for my PC so a lot of things keep prompting me to sign in when i launch a metro application. the desktop is just like the windows 7 desktop.

after the usual teathing troubles (messed up drivers, windows update screwing itself up, HDMI audio not working (intels fault in fairness, not MSs) touchpad with no multitouch driver, all fixed now thankfully) its mostly grand now though. only thing that bugs me is that when i wake the system up from sleep it takes about 10 seconds for the desktop to appear after entering the password. its like the OS is having a good think about whether my password is correct or not.

overall the user experience on the desktop is inferior to windows 7 imho. but its not as bad as i thought it was going to be. oddly enough using unity on ubuntu a lot made the transition easier i think.

jcknapier711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By jcknapier711
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

@angelonfira said:

Check out this tutorial vid, it will show you the basics.

Windows 8 Tutorial

My issues with Win8 are not about learning the subtle nuances and differences between 8 and previous versions. My issues revolve around changes they have made for the worse.

To reiterate, MS sure hit Win8 over the head with the ugly stick this time. Considering how ugly previous versions were that's saying something. Is it really necessary to have a five pixel border? Did legions of far sighted people complain to MS that they could not distinguish the borders of the windows?

Then there's the issue of permissions. When Vista came out there was a huge negative reaction to the UAC. But at least you can shut that off. You can't work around not having write access in the programs folder for seemingly random events. Like, I just tried to install virtual win, but I have to find a work around because of this issue.

Then removing some components like telnet. Ok, putty is much better and more robust, but telnet was a nice when I just wanted to log in and out of my linux box quickly. I'm sure I'll find more since I've found this one on day 1.

Or how about simply pressing escape gets you back to the desktop? Or simply hitting the start button and being able to search and shut down the PC? It's little annoyances like this that add up. Yea, I suppose there might be a setting somewhere to rectify these specific issues. That's a possibility, but not the previous ones.

Someone said that Windows releases were like Star Trek movies, every other one sucked.

Here it is: http://orclev.tumblr.com/post/18555141412/why-windows-8-will-suck

I'm sure as time goes by I'll learn to live with many of the short comings and appreciate some of the things that they added, but I really ought to have skipped this time around. I just didn't think it would be this bad.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

@angelonfira said:

Windows 8 Tutorial

My Windows 7 boots in ~10 seconds. Definitely closer to 10 seconds than it is to 1 minute...

Why should I pay $100 for same old? I could just wait for Windows 9 which is probably no more than 1-2 years away and get a real upgrade.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@jcknapier711 said:

I'm sure as time goes by I'll learn to live with many of the short comings and appreciate some of the things that they added, but I really ought to have skipped this time around. I just didn't think it would be this bad.

It's that bad to YOU.

Many people have learned the new menu and are now using Win8 with all the improved features without an issue. And if not, are just using Start8.

People that say it sux are the ones that tried it for 2 days and then formatted because they didnt bother to learn how things worked or had changed.

But whatever. I love Windows 7 but Win8.1 just does everything faster and better, so I'm happy. I actually go to work now and feel weird going BACK to Windows 7, which is something I never thought could happen.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Just get start8 and be done with metro.

I'm not going to fucking rely on 3rd party tool for something I already have in Win7.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jebus213
@FelipeInside said:

@jcknapier711 said:

It's that bad to YOU.

Many people have learned the new menu and are now using Win8 with all the improved features without an issue. And if not, are just using Start8.

People that say it sux are the ones that tried it for 2 days and then formatted because they didnt bother to learn how things worked or had changed.

But whatever. I love Windows 7 but Win8.1 just does everything faster and better, so I'm happy. I actually go to work now and feel weird going BACK to Windows 7, which is something I never thought could happen.

I used Windows 8 for about a month. The UI is a pain in the ass. Also there's nothing to learn about the new UI anyway. It's self explanatory. It's just a fucking effort to navigate with a mouse a keyboard.

and again I'm not going to fucking rely on 3rd party tool for something I already have in Win7.

Avatar image for deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
deactivated-5efed3ebc2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
Member since 2006 • 923 Posts

Err... Guys??? Are we using the same OS? I have Win 8.1 Pro x64 and so far it's much better, nicer and also faster than Win 7 Ultimate x64...

I guess that the main problem is 99.9% of time located between your keyboard and your chair... Huh?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside

@Jebus213 said:
@FelipeInside said:

@jcknapier711 said:

It's that bad to YOU.

I used Windows 8 for about a month. The UI is a pain in the ass. Also there's nothing to learn about the new UI anyway. It's self explanatory. It's just a fucking effort to navigate with a mouse a keyboard.

and again I'm not going to fucking rely on 3rd party tool for something I already have in Win7.

Because you've never installed a 3rd party application to enhance your productivity with Windows right?

And with Win8.1 it's no effort to navigate the UI. I do things faster on Win8 than Win7 (and I love Win7).

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FelipeInside
@WESTBLADE said:

Err... Guys??? Are we using the same OS? I have Win 8.1 Pro x64 and so far it's much better, nicer and also faster than Win 7 Ultimate x64...

People tend to concentrate on the new menu and discard the other improved features of Windows 8. And then there is the MS haters which you just need to ignore.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

im not really sure what everyones problem is with Win8.... if you want something, you just type the name. you dont even have to search for it with the mouse.

want your control panel? type control panel.

want battlefield 4? type battlefield 4

want display settings? type display settings

its just that easy.... what is the problem?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FelipeInside

@Geminon said:

im not really sure what everyones problem is with Win8.... if you want something, you just type the name. you dont even have to search for it with the mouse.

The problem is that people hate change. It's a normal human attribute.

Something can come along that is ten times better than what a person has, but that person will generally still choose the old item because they are used to it.

If Windows 8 had the normal menu, everybody would be using it and praising it (you can still get it like that with Start8). But they do a new menu and everybody goes crazy.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JigglyWiggly_

@FelipeInside said:
@WESTBLADE said:

People tend to concentrate on the new menu and discard the other improved features of Windows 8. And then there is the MS haters which you just need to ignore.

can't change my mouse polling rate on windows 8 = no use

the hidusb trick doesn't work

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Geminon

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@FelipeInside said:
@WESTBLADE said:

you already said this once in this thread....

nobody gives a crap about your wannabe MLG aspirations jiggly... ffs. dont like it? dont use it.... good for you.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FelipeInside

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@FelipeInside said:
@WESTBLADE said:

What the hell is a mouse polling rate?

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JigglyWiggly_

@Geminon said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@FelipeInside said:
@WESTBLADE said:

you already said this once in this thread....

nobody gives a crap about your wannabe MLG aspirations jiggly... ffs. dont like it? dont use it.... good for you.

bad memory, and going to go to quakecon with my two buddies for the ca 3v3 if they have it, they better have it again this year

i just hope i don't get stabbed because someone said he was going to stab me if he caught me 'hacking'

to felipe, you still can change the mouse polling rate on any new gaming mouse from logitech/razer/zowie/steelseries

i use the razer salmosa pro which is an oddball mouse released in a specific market and it has been my favorite mouse since i got it a few months ago. it is not detected by razer synapse and has no polling rate switch on the mouse.

polling rate is the amount of times per second the mouse reports back, e.g 125hz the default on most mice is 8ms of input lag and may not have smooth tracking/lower max speed

most new gaming mice default at 500hz

but they don't make a mouse like the razer salmosa pro for the american market

Ornjlightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#35 Ornjlightning
Member since 2010 • 455 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@Geminon said:

Something can come along that is ten times better than what a person has, but that person will generally still choose the old item because they are used to it.

If Windows 8 had the normal menu, everybody would be using it and praising it (you can still get it like that with Start8). But they do a new menu and everybody goes crazy.

1. In any other case, I might agree with you. The biggest problems with 8 having nothing to do with the start menu. I also don't think start up speed is THAT much of a plus. Changing any setting, especially a BIOS setting, it harder than it needs to be. I don't know about 8.1, but with 8, it was impossible to reach the BIOS from start up on some systems with 8 pre-installed. 8 is hard to troubleshoot as it is, but not being able to access the BIOS right off is a serious problem.

2.DAMN IT SECUREBOOT

3. Windows 8's big advertised selling point was its ease of use. Anyone, including a computer illiterate, could use it. The commercials and advertising campaign try to point out things that ANY device can do as its advantages. It's like trying to sell a chair based on the fact that you can sit on it. The funny thing is that for any non-techie, Windows 8 is very difficult to use, let alone some techies, which also can have a hard time using it.

4. One of the biggest changes was copied from Linux, and done terribly. The way some things need to be opened in an entirely different kind of screen or interface is stupid. It doesn't add anything. It feels more like a gimmick than a feature.

5.Gesture Controls - D:<

6. The start menu. I know I just said I don't care about it. It's still inferior. It doesn't bug me, but it's still a flaw. The only thing it has going for it is synch between PC and mobile devices, which is what is was designed for. But even people that use it for that reason explicitly drop it almost immediately.

7. The menu maze. If I ever want to change a setting, I need to navigate a labyrinth of menus that seem to explain nothing to a person that doesn't already know what they mean. These menus are only useful if you already know what all the information explains and where every link goes. Learning them wouldn't be a problem, if they didn't seem to lead you in a circle, helped you learn anything, or assisted you in any way before needing to search for HOW TO FIND whatever you were trying to find on the internet.

Really? Didn't deem this part necessary of your normally unnecessary instructions or tutorials Microsoft?

8. I need to send on online request to my Microsoft account.

9. The absence of a log out button. Oh sure, you can sign in to another account, but no accounts can actually sign out.

10. It belongs to Microsoft. Yes, That's bad. I used to be a big Microsoft supporter, but man.... they've done a lot of "corporate bastard" style stuff in recent years and I only see it getting worse in the future. How are we ever supposed to trust this company ever again? Logical fallacy or personal preference, take your pick why I'm wrong and that isn't relevant. But you know it applies.

11. Glitches and failures are rampant. I find a new reason to hate Windows 8 almost every week. I think I've found over 50 problems in the past the I KNEW where specifically 8's fault.

12. IT WAS A BETA. MICROSOFT MADE YOU PAY FOR AN UNTESTED, UNFINISHED REHASH OF 7. Microsoft has officially stated that it was a beta.

I wouldn't count this as a failure, but I could have sworn the search tool was WAY faster with normal 8 than 8.1.

In most cases, yes, people prefer familiarity over learning something new. It takes time, effort, and sentient thought. It's not impossible that this isn't the case for plenty of Windows 8 haters. But that loathing is based on truth. Backlash doesn't ALWAYS mean people are just unwilling to absorb new information. Also a Microsoft product that had enormous backlash - The Xbox One. Anyone that supports its original plans? Hmmm??? So few people do that it actually made it on to mainstream news to talk about how everyone hates the new idea? Well that's funny....same company as Windows 8....same company that tried to force it's HTML internet standards on web developers....Being a Microsoft hater isn't weird thing anymore. Slandering big name powers like companies and governments is more popular now than it was before. But only because it's so much easier now. There are so many more terrible things large powers end up doing, it's hard to find a person that has an totally positive view on everything.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jebus213

@FelipeInside said:

Because you've never installed a 3rd party application to enhance your productivity with Windows right?

Does Malwarebytes, Firefox, Media play classic, and Chrome count? Those are the only third party programs on my PC that I use to replace something MS already has on the OS.

Sony vegas and Photoshop?

"To enhance your productivity"

Please tell me. What can I use to enhance my productivity on Win7? If I think I know what you're saying I have never downloaded a third party tool for anything in the same category as Start8.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Geminon

@Ornjlightning said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Geminon said:

1. In any other case, I might agree with you. The biggest problems with 8 having nothing to do with the start menu. I also don't think start up speed is THAT much of a plus. Changing any setting, especially a BIOS setting, it harder than it needs to be. I don't know about 8.1, but with 8, it was impossible to reach the BIOS from start up on some systems with 8 pre-installed. 8 is hard to troubleshoot as it is, but not being able to access the BIOS right off is a serious problem.

no idea what you are even saying here.... windows has absolutely no bearing at all on your ability to access the BIOS. it does not stop you in any way.

2.DAMN IT SECUREBOOT

oooooook?

3. Windows 8's big advertised selling point was its ease of use. Anyone, including a computer illiterate, could use it. The commercials and advertising campaign try to point out things that ANY device can do as its advantages. It's like trying to sell a chair based on the fact that you can sit on it. The funny thing is that for any non-techie, Windows 8 is very difficult to use, let alone some techies, which also can have a hard time using it.

so basically you are complaining that they tried to make it more simple?

4. One of the biggest changes was copied from Linux, and done terribly. The way some things need to be opened in an entirely different kind of screen or interface is stupid. It doesn't add anything. It feels more like a gimmick than a feature.

you literally never have to use any of the windows apps that do this.... literally never.

5.Gesture Controls - D:<

gesture controls..... that work perfectly when used with a touch screen.... like they were meant to be used with?

6. The start menu. I know I just said I don't care about it. It's still inferior. It doesn't bug me, but it's still a flaw. The only thing it has going for it is synch between PC and mobile devices, which is what is was designed for. But even people that use it for that reason explicitly drop it almost immediately.

again, if you want something... just type the name. you dont have to navigate the start menu at all

7. The menu maze. If I ever want to change a setting, I need to navigate a labyrinth of menus that seem to explain nothing to a person that doesn't already know what they mean. These menus are only useful if you already know what all the information explains and where every link goes. Learning them wouldn't be a problem, if they didn't seem to lead you in a circle, helped you learn anything, or assisted you in any way before needing to search for HOW TO FIND whatever you were trying to find on the internet.

Really? Didn't deem this part necessary of your normally unnecessary instructions or tutorials Microsoft?

AGAIN.... if you want something... just type the name. you dont have to navigate a single menu

8. I need to send on online request to my Microsoft account.

wat?

9. The absence of a log out button. Oh sure, you can sign in to another account, but no accounts can actually sign out.

i can log out of my account right now.... im am literally staring at the logout button.... and yes, it does log me out when i use it.

10. It belongs to Microsoft. Yes, That's bad. I used to be a big Microsoft supporter, but man.... they've done a lot of "corporate bastard" style stuff in recent years and I only see it getting worse in the future. How are we ever supposed to trust this company ever again? Logical fallacy or personal preference, take your pick why I'm wrong and that isn't relevant. But you know it applies.

honestly no idea what you are going on about here...

11. Glitches and failures are rampant. I find a new reason to hate Windows 8 almost every week. I think I've found over 50 problems in the past the I KNEW where specifically 8's fault.

i have been on windows 8 for a year now.... i have not had a single crash. not even one. sounds like you need to learn how to not **** up your computer.

12. IT WAS A BETA. MICROSOFT MADE YOU PAY FOR AN UNTESTED, UNFINISHED REHASH OF 7. Microsoft has officially stated that it was a beta.

no, they havent.... but keep on doing your thing mad guy.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FelipeInside

I was going to respond to @Ornjlightning but @Geminon did a pretty good job. Most of your points are not true or you have something wrong with your system or you haven't take the time to learn Windows 8. I can access BIOS, Win8 is the most stable MS OS yet, it IS easier to use once you take a while to actually play with it and there is a log out button (I don't even use it with a MS account). I think you need to test it more.

@Jebus213 yes those all count. Sony Vegas would replace Windows Movie Maker. Photoshops would replace Paint. Chrome, Firefox would replace IE. See, you DO use third party app. Start8 would replace the Start Menu. I really don't understand people complaining so much about Windows 8 because of a menu system that:

1- works the same as the old menu (and even better in some cases)

2- has a limited start menu function in desktop mode anyway

3- allows you to install things like Start8

4- With Win8.1 lets you boot to desktop and other things (like use same background) that makes it normal to use with a kb/ms

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jebus213
@FelipeInside said:

Start8 would replace the Start Menu.

With Win8.1 lets you boot to desktop and other things (like use same background) that makes it normal to use with a kb/ms

So yeah, like I said. I'm not gonna pay 99-120$ to get the same exact shit by installing a third party program.

You're not getting are you?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FelipeInside

@Jebus213 said:
@FelipeInside said:

With Win8.1 lets you boot to desktop and other things (like use same background) that makes it normal to use with a kb/ms

So yeah, like I said. I'm not gonna pay 99-120$ to get the same exact shit by installing a third party program.

Ehhh.... Start8 is $5 and lets you trial it for a month. Apart from Start8 there are many other ones that do the same thing for FREE. And apart from all that you can, you know, just use the menu that comes with 8.1 which works the same as the old one.

What am I not getting?

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jebus213

@FelipeInside said:

@Jebus213 said:
@FelipeInside said:

Ehhh.... Start8 is $5 and lets you trial it for a month. Apart from Start8 there are many other ones that do the same thing for FREE. And apart from all that you can, you know, just use the menu that comes with 8.1 which works the same as the old one.

What am I not getting?

Oh shit you gotta pay for it? **** that shit. Please continue to give me even more reasons to discredit Windows 8.

The menu that comes with win8 is shit.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FelipeInside

@Jebus213 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Jebus213 said:
@FelipeInside said:

What am I not getting?

Oh shit you gotta pay for it? **** that shit. Please continue to give me even more reasons to discredit Windows 8.

The menu that comes with win8 is shit.

Reading comprehension?

Here it is again, copied from the other post:

"Apart from Start8 there are many other ones that do the same thing for FREE."

The menu that comes with 8.1 works fine, shame you can't learn it.

But hey, no one is forcing you to upgrade, stay on Win98 or whatever it is you're on.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

The thread creator, and few replies contained specific complaints about Windows 8 that have not yet been addressed or acknowledged by the Windows 8 supporters on this thread. I won't list them specifically, but you guys should probably go back and read them. If the reason these complaints are being ignored is because there is no solution, then at least agree with him on those points. Don't pretend they don't exist.

Why defend Windows 8 at any cost? Be a free thinker. Felipe, you know in your heart that Start8 costing $5 is not a good solution. Be real, and be true to thyself.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FelipeInside

@Falconoffury said:

The thread creator, and few replies contained specific complaints about Windows 8 that have not yet been addressed or acknowledged by the Windows 8 supporters on this thread. I won't list them specifically, but you guys should probably go back and read them. If the reason these complaints are being ignored is because there is no solution, then at least agree with him on those points. Don't pretend they don't exist.

Why defend Windows 8 at any cost? Be a free thinker. Felipe, you know in your heart that Start8 costing $5 is not a good solution. Be real, and be true to thyself.

Start8 was actually a GREAT solution, worked like a charm. I used it with Windows 8 because the metro menu had things that didn't work correctly. Once they released 8.1 which fixed these issues I gave it another go and after a week I uninstalled Start8 because the optimized metro menu finally worked the way it was meant to. They are also going to bring more tweaks and features with 8.2 (as well as rumours the old start menu will be back).

Is Win8 perfect?

of course not, no OS is. Is it better overall than Windows 7, definitely. And I thought that was never possible since I'm a big fan of Windows 7.

Do you NEED to upgrade?

If ur on Win7 currently, no, there is no reason to. If ur building a new PC, major upgrade or due for an OS reinstall, no reason NOT to install Windows 8.

I don't defend anything at all costs, I acknowledge the pros and cons of each thing I use. Windows 8 has more pros than cons in my books and that's why I choose to currently use it. If people think I'm a MS fanboy they are very mistaken. You should have seen me when Vista or Hotmail launched, both very bad products.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FelipeInside

@Jebus213 said:

@FelipeInside said:

shame you can't learn it.

But hey, no one is forcing you to upgrade, stay on Win98 or whatever it is you're on.

hahaha, oh wow....

Sometimes I can't tell if you're trolling or just a piece of shit.

Neither.

I just said that no one is forcing you to upgrade, so if ur happy with the OS you have installed stay on it.

I really don't understand why Win8 affects you so much when ur not even using it probably.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

For users who only demand the basics from their OS (AKA lowest common denominator), Windows 8 or 8.1 is fine. But some of us who really like to customize or change things around (like mouse polling rates, one small example) are going to have a harder time liking it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:

For users who only demand the basics from their OS (AKA lowest common denominator), Windows 8 or 8.1 is fine. But some of us who really like to customize or change things around (like mouse polling rates, one small example) are going to have a harder time liking it.

But Windows 8.1 has the most customization options out of all MS Operating Systems, so....?

I don't know about the mouse thing. I always thought that was done through the mouse and mouse software.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FelipeInside

@Jebus213 said:

@FelipeInside said:

when ur not even using it probably.

Oh so you are a ****.

I thought I would respond to your posts, give u yet another chance but deep down I knew I shouldn't have cause you're the forum troll.

Whatever dude. Keep living in your sad life where you hate everything.