Will you be buying WildStar?

• 85 results
#51 Posted by FelipeInside (25678 posts) -
@bluesunmerc said:

@soolkiki: Is it better than the first? I play the first gw alot and have been putting off buying this one.

Although we are not talking about Guild Wars here, yes... GW2 is heaps better than the first.

@ferrari2001 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Led_poison said:

@FelipeInside said:

Great video, the RAIDS look insane.

looks like someone with severe autistic ADHD made this

All the Wildstar dev videos are like that. Crazy just like the game.

I played PVP for the first time today and it was an utter blast. So much action for an MMO it's crazy.

Although I probably won't get it, I agree that the action was pretty fun... and I just played the first 3-4 hours till I went against the first boss.

#52 Posted by Maroxad (8348 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

Well, now I am sold.

Those raids look a ton more interesting than the rather uninspired raids WoW raids have gotten recently. Maybe telegraphs are a good thing in the end. I can tolerate a lousy start and cringeworthy writing if I get plenty of endgame at day 1 and good raids too (and those raids looked fun from that video).

#53 Edited by FelipeInside (25678 posts) -

@Maroxad said:

@FelipeInside said:

Well, now I am sold.

Those raids look a ton more interesting than the rather uninspired raids WoW raids have gotten recently. Maybe telegraphs are a good thing in the end. I can tolerate a lousy start and cringeworthy writing if I get plenty of endgame at day 1 and good raids too (and those raids looked fun from that video).

To be honest I thought the same as you when I first saw telegraphed combat, saying that is was a bit lame and stupid to show the player where the hits were coming.

Then I played the beta and still thought that for most of the tutorial, until I got to the first big boss. There were so many telegraphs going that I had to dodge, jump, move out of the way etc whilst fighting enemies and attacking the boss. It was quite fun. The gameplay is actually good, to me the letdown is the immersion factor which I consider very important in an MMO, and the way the quests are explained are also very awkward.

Heck, I'm gonna give it another go. Downloading Beta.

#54 Edited by Maroxad (8348 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

To be honest I thought the same as you when I first saw telegraphed combat, saying that is was a bit lame and stupid to show the player where the hits were coming.

Then I played the beta and still thought that for most of the tutorial, until I got to the first big boss. There were so many telegraphs going that I had to dodge, jump, move out of the way etc whilst fighting enemies and attacking the boss. It was quite fun. The gameplay is actually good, to me the letdown is the immersion factor which I consider very important in an MMO, and the way the quests are explained are also very awkward.

Heck, I'm gonna give it another go. Downloading Beta.

The immersion was fine as far as I am concerned the world wasn't as stale as SWTOR's for instance, though the tutorial might have been a bit excessive. The quests are confusing though, which is something I am hoping gets fixed. either through addons (which the game supports) or just through patches (seems like a big problem with the quests I had was NPCs not popping up).

@FelipeInside said:

GW2 is heaps better than the first.

I strongly disagree with that, but I guess I will leave it at that.

#55 Posted by Maroxad (8348 posts) -

Sorry for double posting, but there are some good news I wanted to share, the quest UI has improved with the latest patch quite a bit. And thank goodness for that.

#56 Posted by cyloninside (615 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:
@bluesunmerc said:

@soolkiki: Is it better than the first? I play the first gw alot and have been putting off buying this one.

Although we are not talking about Guild Wars here, yes... GW2 is heaps better than the first.

@ferrari2001 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Led_poison said:

@FelipeInside said:

looks like someone with severe autistic ADHD made this

All the Wildstar dev videos are like that. Crazy just like the game.

I played PVP for the first time today and it was an utter blast. So much action for an MMO it's crazy.

Although I probably won't get it, I agree that the action was pretty fun... and I just played the first 3-4 hours till I went against the first boss.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

GW1 is by far the superior game. with its expansions, the wealth of content and diversity is great.

#57 Edited by cyloninside (615 posts) -

@Maroxad said:

@FelipeInside said:

Well, now I am sold.

after you bashing the game for a while, that one video was all it took?

sheesh... if only every e-argument was that easy.

maybe that should be a lesson to you to listen to the people who have actually spent a lot of time with a game instead of judging it for yourself after only a few hours and telling them they are wrong?

#58 Edited by FelipeInside (25678 posts) -

@cyloninside said:

GW1 is by far the superior game. with its expansions, the wealth of content and diversity is great.

I loved GW1, but it always had that "instanced" thing going on which held it back as a true open world MMO. GW2 just expanded on it and made everything even better and more immersive. Both games are good.

#59 Edited by Maroxad (8348 posts) -

@cyloninside said:

@Maroxad said:

Well, now I am sold.

maybe that should be a lesson to you to listen to the people who have actually spent a lot of time with a game instead of judging it for yourself after only a few hours and telling them they are wrong?

I was bashing the low levels, which felt like an afterthought. I was not bashing the entire game and not at any point did I say the game as a whole was bad.

The low levels are some of the worst experiences I have had in the entire mmo genre. And you might not say the low levels are a big issue, but more often than not, for a lot of customers out there, they dont have a lot of time to make a positive impression and if you are going to bore them for about 4-5 hours, then the game designers have failed.

And while I am at it, I still stand by everything I have said, including the banality of the product and the terrible UI. But banal doesnt mean that the game is immediately trash, execution is more important than innovation and the high level raids seem rather innovative.

#60 Posted by soolkiki (1770 posts) -

@bluesunmerc said:

Unfortunately, I never played the first, so I would not be able to give you a good comparison. :(

I WILL say that it is far better than any of the other mmos I've tried like Age of Conan, WoW, DDO, LOTRO, etc.

#61 Posted by Arthas045 (5262 posts) -

After watching some of these videos I should give the beta a go. Probably ends today..............

#62 Posted by FelipeInside (25678 posts) -

@Arthas045 said:

After watching some of these videos I should give the beta a go. Probably ends today..............

Nope, ends on the 18th, so plenty of time still. I'm downloading it now.

#63 Posted by Arthas045 (5262 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

@Arthas045 said:

Nope, ends on the 18th, so plenty of time still. I'm downloading it now.

Well I will jump on that.

#64 Edited by Behardy24 (4654 posts) -

Does anyone know if your character beta will still exist after the beta is over? I am planning to pick up the day on Launch Day and not Pre-Order it.

#65 Edited by ferrari2001 (17004 posts) -

@behardy24 said:

Does anyone know if your character beta will still exist after the beta is over? I am planning to pick up the day on Launch Day and not Pre-Order it.

Your beta character will be deleted, however if you pre-order you get early start and get a head start to build your characters.

#66 Edited by Behardy24 (4654 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

@behardy24 said:

Your beta character will be deleted, however if you pre-order you get early start and get a head start to build your characters.

Now learning this, I have been discourage to purchase the official game. I am a noob MMO player and Wildstar has been the only MMO that I have real gotten into it, even though the game has some apparent problems. I real don't want to start over in leveling up and grinding. Now reconsidering my purchase.

Thanks for informing me.

#67 Edited by cyloninside (615 posts) -

@behardy24 said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@behardy24 said:

Now learning this, I have been discourage to purchase the official game. I am a noob MMO player and Wildstar has been the only MMO that I have real gotten into it, even though the game has some apparent problems. I real don't want to start over in leveling up and grinding. Now reconsidering my purchase.

Thanks for informing me.

wait... you actually thought that your character would remain?

LOL.... i know you said you are a noob to MMOs but... still.... LOL.

#68 Edited by Behardy24 (4654 posts) -

@cyloninside said:

@behardy24 said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@behardy24 said:

Thanks for informing me.

wait... you actually thought that your character would remain?

LOL.... i know you said you are a noob to MMOs but... still.... LOL.

Yup, I am as noobie as they get.

#69 Edited by MBirdy88 (8330 posts) -

@Maroxad said:

@cyloninside said:

@Maroxad said:

Well, now I am sold.

I was bashing the low levels, which felt like an afterthought. I was not bashing the entire game and not at any point did I say the game as a whole was bad.

The low levels are some of the worst experiences I have had in the entire mmo genre. And you might not say the low levels are a big issue, but more often than not, for a lot of customers out there, they dont have a lot of time to make a positive impression and if you are going to bore them for about 4-5 hours, then the game designers have failed.

And while I am at it, I still stand by everything I have said, including the banality of the product and the terrible UI. But banal doesnt mean that the game is immediately trash, execution is more important than innovation and the high level raids seem rather innovative.

don't forget it already has mod support, so U.I issues are likely only to be temporary.

I'm on the fence.... I just can't get over the art-style/themes/humour ..... its like this massive cock-block to an otherwise incredibly featured game...

and as much as I love FFXIV .... the housing and boss fights in Wild Star seem to be in a whole nother league... if it wasn't for the godamn themes! :P

I dunno ... fence... on it. and I don't often reject a game based on its art style... I jsut really don't click with this.

#70 Edited by cyloninside (615 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@Maroxad said:

@cyloninside said:

@Maroxad said:

Well, now I am sold.

don't forget it already has mod support, so U.I issues are likely only to be temporary.

I'm on the fence.... I just can't get over the art-style/themes/humour ..... its like this massive cock-block to an otherwise incredibly featured game...

and as much as I love FFXIV .... the housing and boss fights in Wild Star seem to be in a whole nother league... if it wasn't for the godamn themes! :P

I dunno ... fence... on it. and I don't often reject a game based on its art style... I jsut really don't click with this.

i dont see what the big deal is. yeah the art style is cartoony... but honestly the "humor" doesnt invade the game that much. only time you really run into it is when you die and have to listen to your AI make fun of you.

i honestly count it as a bonus that when i level up.... i get a voice that says

"YOU ARE ONE BAD MOTHERF***ER"

or

"OH SHIT.... THIS JUST GOT REAAAAAAL"

makes me feel good about myself.

#71 Posted by MBirdy88 (8330 posts) -

@cyloninside said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Maroxad said:

@cyloninside said:

@Maroxad said:

Well, now I am sold.

i dont see what the big deal is. yeah the art style is cartoony... but honestly the "humor" doesnt invade the game that much. only time you really run into it is when you die and have to listen to your AI make fun of you.

What can I say? I like to be immersed in my RPGs one way or another.... and the cartooney characters look horrible to me, and their animations ... I tried the android earlier, for a game that boasts about movement.... why does movement feel so horrible?

Oh right... its because they move incredibly slow yet have this goofy cartoon animation run that feels completely out of sync...

Themes/Art Style can make or break an experience for many. even if the gameplay is great. which I'm yet to see.... I've see the raid video... looks fun and chaotic... but down to preference.... the primal battles in FFXIV are badass in more ways than "oh look, lots of telegraphics move move move!" the graphics/atmosphere/boss themes .. and the difficulty is there regardless of how much moving you do.

#72 Edited by Maroxad (8348 posts) -
@MBirdy88 said:

Indeed, most of my issues with the game will be fixed (the quest UI seems to have already gotten a fair share of improvements).

Likewise most of my complaints are primarily directed towards the low level content and stuff that will be fixed soon enough. High level stuff are significantly better, and having come to above level 15 now, I will say that WildStar is no longer unbearably bad and quite possibly the best themepark since World of Warcraft (though TSW and RIFT were good as well).

The problem with the humor is that it is too tryhard if you ask me, I didnt like it in Ratchet and Clank and I like it even less here. Levelling up quotes like this "YOU ARE ONE BAD MOTHERF***ER" examplify my problem with the humor. I hope there is a way to turn these levelling effects off.

#73 Posted by MBirdy88 (8330 posts) -

@Maroxad said:
@MBirdy88 said:

Indeed, most of my issues with the game will be fixed (the quest UI seems to have already gotten a fair share of improvements).

Likewise most of my complaints are primarily directed towards the low level content and stuff that will be fixed soon enough. High level stuff are significantly better, and having come to above level 15 now, I will say that WildStar is no longer unbearably bad and quite possibly the best themepark since World of Warcraft (though TSW and RIFT were good as well).

out of curiosity what changes around that level? I've heard this alot. I did the tutorial and abit of the dominion starting area and it was boring... I tried to start again earlier ... but il just wait til release probably.

#74 Posted by Maroxad (8348 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@Maroxad said:
@MBirdy88 said:

out of curiosity what changes around that level? I've heard this alot. I did the tutorial and abit of the dominion starting area and it was boring... I tried to start again earlier ... but il just wait til release probably.

Quest pacing, more skills, housing, crafting, the fact that it is actually possible to die. Elites actually make me lose 50% of my health.

#75 Edited by MBirdy88 (8330 posts) -

@Maroxad said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Maroxad said:
@MBirdy88 said:

Quest pacing, more skills, housing, crafting, the fact that it is actually possible to die. Elites actually make me lose 50% of my health.

Ah ok... sounds good.

on the "Deluxe edition" it has "30 days of playtime" as a feature on greenmangaming .... does that mean you get 2 months if you get the deluxe version?

#76 Edited by Arthas045 (5262 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@Maroxad said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Maroxad said:
@MBirdy88 said:

Ah ok... sounds good.

on the "Deluxe edition" it has "30 days of playtime" as a feature on greenmangaming .... does that mean you get 2 months if you get the deluxe version?

I notice this to be a trend with new MMOs... The Deluxe edition states 30 days of playtime, but the standard version says nothing.... I think this is a way for you to drop that extra dime, but get the same amount of free time....

#77 Edited by Wasdie (50002 posts) -

Yes I will.

Leveling is broken up with dungeons and adventures so it's not going to be as monotonous as other games. I'm excited. Lots of depth to the game too.

Also for those who don't understand what I'm talking about, watch these...

These two things make me much more excited for Wildstar than any MMO before it. Guild Wars 2 tried so hard to be as big and diverse as Wildstar, but it really lacked the depth. Carbine doesn't seem to mind increasing complexity of the game if it means a deeper overall experience.

The standard leveling is kind of a let down considering how the game seems to shine in every other area. Combat, crafting, PvP, end game, all of it. The housing is even pretty neat...

Unlike other MMOs, there are multiple things to work for here and it seems they are all loosely connected.

#78 Edited by vfibsux (4205 posts) -

Those raids looks too arcade-like for me.....I think it will feel too much like Mario Brothers to me.

#79 Edited by FelipeInside (25678 posts) -

@behardy24 said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@behardy24 said:

Thanks for informing me.

Huh?

This is the only MMO you have liked and have gotten into but you don't want to purchase the full game because you need to start a new character? That's a bit silly. If you like the game, buy it and support the devs. Even create the same character if you want to.

#80 Posted by cyloninside (615 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@cyloninside said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Maroxad said:

@cyloninside said:

@Maroxad said:

Well, now I am sold.

What can I say? I like to be immersed in my RPGs one way or another.... and the cartooney characters look horrible to me, and their animations ... I tried the android earlier, for a game that boasts about movement.... why does movement feel so horrible?

Oh right... its because they move incredibly slow yet have this goofy cartoon animation run that feels completely out of sync...

Themes/Art Style can make or break an experience for many. even if the gameplay is great. which I'm yet to see.... I've see the raid video... looks fun and chaotic... but down to preference.... the primal battles in FFXIV are badass in more ways than "oh look, lots of telegraphics move move move!" the graphics/atmosphere/boss themes .. and the difficulty is there regardless of how much moving you do.

how are the animations bad?

IMO wildstar has more developed, articulate animations than most MMOs on the market. if you dont like over the top animations then OK, fine, but i would hardly call wildstar's animations bad.

and slow character movement? serious? wildstar has the most freedom of movement of any MMO ever... you can sprint with the shift key, you can do evasive dashes like unreal tournament, there is a double jump....there is nothing in the game that is "slow"

i just dont get where you are coming from at all. i have never experienced unresponsive controls, slow movement, bad animations. infact, the animations have done nothing but get better since 6 months ago in beta. they are constantly replacing old animations with new ones.

#81 Edited by MBirdy88 (8330 posts) -

@cyloninside said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@cyloninside said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Maroxad said:

@cyloninside said:

@Maroxad said:

Well, now I am sold.

IMO wildstar has more developed, articulate animations than most MMOs on the market. if you dont like over the top animations then OK, fine, but i would hardly call wildstar's animations bad.

and slow character movement? serious? wildstar has the most freedom of movement of any MMO ever... you can sprint with the shift key, you can do evasive dashes like unreal tournament, there is a double jump....there is nothing in the game that is "slow"

i just dont get where you are coming from at all. i have never experienced unresponsive controls, slow movement, bad animations. infact, the animations have done nothing but get better since 6 months ago in beta. they are constantly replacing old animations with new ones.

no.. you are misreading, I am talking only about their run animation.... it does not match the running speed and looks completely odd... and its a common complaint.

#82 Posted by cyloninside (615 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@cyloninside said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@cyloninside said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Maroxad said:

@cyloninside said:

@Maroxad said:

Well, now I am sold.

no.. you are misreading, I am talking only about their run animation.... it does not match the running speed and looks completely odd... and its a common complaint.

havent noticed it on my granock

#83 Edited by Maroxad (8348 posts) -

@Wasdie: Got any more videos? I think I will need a few more to convince a few friends to get it. They are still playing WoW and I need something to help convince them to move on to this. I am planning on showing them the raid video, the videos you showed me, they are all good. Thanks in advance.

@cyloninside said:

That is only true if you are talking about Western mmos. That said, it is still one of the most mobile and movement heavy mmos I have ever played, but not the most mobile.

#84 Edited by Wasdie (50002 posts) -

@Maroxad: Just look up the entire Wildstar Devspeak series on Youtube.

#85 Posted by Maroxad (8348 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

@Maroxad: Just look up the entire Wildstar Devspeak series on Youtube.

Ok, thanks, I will just cherrypick my favorites then.

#86 Posted by Arthas045 (5262 posts) -

I played a little last night and so far I am enjoying it. I like the comedy so far and really enjoy the path missions.