Will there ever be anything like it again ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Anyone think any company will ever make an MMO as amazing as WoW was during vanilla and BC ?

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Maybe.. Elder Scrolls Online looks pretty amazing.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

Anyone think any company will ever make an MMO as amazing as WoW was during vanilla and BC ?

nooblet69

yeah..when people stop talking about WOW as if it's the holy grail of MMOs.

Ragingbear505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Ragingbear505
Member since 2008 • 819 Posts

I think the better question is if someone will make an mmo as good as vanilla Everquest or with the Kunark expansion. Except oh wait, they won't, because it wasn't that great, I just remember it being the best because it was the first mmo I had a lot of fun with.

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

I think the better question is if someone will make an mmo as good as vanilla Everquest or with the Kunark expansion. Except oh wait, they won't, because it wasn't that great, I just remember it being the best because it was the first mmo I had a lot of fun with.

Ragingbear505
Maybe its the same case for me with WoW. It's just hard to imagine never having that much fun in a game again.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

If a developer aims low enough they'll easily surpass WoW's "quality."

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

For WoW it wasn't hard being the best when

- it was made by blizzard, people would buy it in droves on name alone

- the MMO market was new and niche, and WoW took it by storm

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

nooblet69

Was WoWthe first MMO u played? I felt the same way about Eq1. WoW didnt impress me that much at all. In fact i was quite disappointed at how "hand holdy" they made it in comparison to how EQ1 was before they ruined it by trying to make it more like WoW and I hear WoW is even worse for this now.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

[QUOTE="nooblet69"]

lawlessx

When a single one of them will come close to its quality and diversity you mean.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#10 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

I don't get why people still want to pay monthly subscriptions for WoW while Guild Wars 2 pretty much lets you buy the full game and play without subscritions at all.

Sure some WoW lovers would say GW is a clone blah blah blah but in the end you're going to play an MMO and want to get your money's worth as well.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DanielDust

I don't get why people still want to pay monthly subscriptions for WoW while Guild Wars 2 pretty much lets you buy the full game and play without subscritions at all.mhofever
Most people would rather pay and have a great experience with a MMO than pay for the game to play for free and experience the monetization shtstorm GW 2's going through, as if the store wasn't disturbing enough since launch.

I'd rather pay and not play WoW than give money to companies like Anet and I did pay constantly for WoW for the last two years and I played maybe 100 hours, the only money I regret spending in the last 5 years is GW 2 and BF 3 even if just 50$ and 30$.

Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Barujin
Member since 2009 • 308 Posts

An MMO that's good? LMAO!

Oh, wait... You're serious? Bwahahahaha!!!

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
Yeah the subscription kept me away from playing WoW. Not paying almost $200 a year to play a single game. Perfectly content with Guild Wars 2.
I'd rather pay and not play WoW than give money to companies like Anet and I did pay constantly for WoW for the last two years and I played maybe 100 hoursDanielDust
Uh huh.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

TC you wont see another for a long time if thats your attitude about it. if your not chasing something fresh and new you wont ever see anything impressive and will simply transition from one shin kicker to another shin kicker and pay monthly for it (in all likelyhood)

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wis3boi

Yeah the subscription kept me away from playing WoW. Not paying almost $200 a year to play a single game. Perfectly content with Guild Wars 2. [QUOTE="DanielDust"]I'd rather pay and not play WoW than give money to companies like Anet and I did pay constantly for WoW for the last two years and I played maybe 100 hoursUCF_Knight
Uh huh.

:lol: danny still being a dunce I see

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DanielDust

[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"]Yeah the subscription kept me away from playing WoW. Not paying almost $200 a year to play a single game. Perfectly content with Guild Wars 2. [QUOTE="DanielDust"]I'd rather pay and not play WoW than give money to companies like Anet and I did pay constantly for WoW for the last two years and I played maybe 100 hourswis3boi

Uh huh.

Derpboy still being derpy, you might find it hard to believe UCF_K, but people do constantly pay for their games and it's a much better and fair system than the delusion cheap ass gamers are under that they are actually saving money on games like GW 2 and such, when in fact those overall cost way more.

I wasn't joking there and I didn't do it to show off to some random broke ignorants on Blizzhatespot.com, I did and I still constantly pay for WoW while not playing it and going further with other games and most important of all WoT, a F2P game worth spending money on, sucks for broke people (that spend tons of money on games, what I'm saying is that anyone saying subscriptions aren't cheap are absolutely pathetic considering the money they pay yearly for games) who avoid the only two MMOs worth playing just because you have to pay for them.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"] Uh huh.DanielDust

Derpboy still being derpy, you might find it hard to believe UCF_K, but people do constantly pay for their games and it's a much better and fair system than the delusion cheap ass gamers are under that they are actually saving money on games like GW 2 and such, when in fact those overall cost way more. I wasn't joking there and I didn't do it to show off to some random broke ignorants on Blizzhatespot.com, I did and I still constantly pay for WoW while not playing it on going further with other games and most important of all WoT, a F2P game worth spending money on.

How's that broom feel shoved up your ass?

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"] Uh huh.DanielDust

Derpboy still being derpy, you might find it hard to believe UCF_K, but people do constantly pay for their games and it's a much better and fair system than the delusion cheap ass gamers are under that they are actually saving money on games like GW 2 and such, when in fact those overall cost way more.

I wasn't joking there and I didn't do it to show off to some random broke ignorants on Blizzhatespot.com, I did and I still constantly pay for WoW while not playing it and going further with other games and most important of all WoT, a F2P game worth spending money on, sucks for broke people (that spend tons of money on games, what I'm saying is that anyone saying subscriptions aren't cheap are absolutely pathetic considering the money they pay yearly for games) who avoid the only two MMOs worth playing just because you have to pay for them.

I spent 40 bucks on GW2 and I don't need to purchase anything else to play the game. You were required to pay a few hundred dollars to play WoW for that period of time. Please explain this great illusion to me. I actually like Blizzard, but you still sound like an idiot.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DanielDust
Online games aren't supported on charity, I said you were ignorant with your statement before...but you can't be that ignorant, sht went bad already and all the nerfs economy gets hit with on every single patch are for the benefit of Anet, you either grind all day with no purpose at all or purchase in game currency, that is the small part related to playing for fun not for the sake of grinding, the huge part about this trainwreck is its in game store, intrusive enough as it was on launch, nowadays it's all about the store, you can't have a single event without limited out of the actual game content only available on the store, with more and more things slowly added to benefit Anet at the cost of players. If this were a singleplayer game, sure, no problem, launch was great, 9.5 whoopdeedee, but as a MMO and all that a MMO needs to achieve, it fell harder and harder with every event, patch, update, new feature. As for explaining why free to play games, entirely or buy to play are more expensive than an actually efficient MMO, can't explain that, since you already inscribed into your head that WoW = hundreds of $ and GW 2 = 40$, if you'd actually find the money to pay on WoW, you'll see what real value you can get for your time and money, then you'd have a way to understand and even compare the two.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wis3boi

still trying to justify his hundreds spent

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DanielDust

wis3boi
I spent over 7K hours on WoW in total, there is nothing to justify and I spent around 450 euro on WoT in the last 11 months and 1500+ hours, also nothing to justify, I actually promote subscriptions every online game needs to do it and lay off the friggin intrusive in game stores that break all immersion.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

DanielDust

I spent over 7K hours on WoW in total, there is nothing to justify and I spent around 450 euro on WoT in the last 11 months and 1500+ hours, also nothing to justify, I actually promote subscriptions every online game needs to do it and lay off the friggin intrusive in game stores that break all immersion.

Some awesome life you lead, 7k hours in the same game, and crying over a gem store in gw2 that sells nothing but cosmetics that can all be had for free with ingame currency and where the devs are releasing massive content updates and events every month. Oh the horror.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DanielDust

I lead an awesome gaming life thank you, with thousands of hours in a few games and I still most likely experienced hundreds of games more than you did, amazing what you can do with good management and not getting hanged on every game that has an ending, repeating them over and over and over and over again like other people, or an online component.

Any other decently made MMO, that didn't fail or planned to adopt a terrible practice in the lifespan of their product after the initial hype, has only one thing, the game, they don't have a game and a store that sells extremely inflated stuff, or everything meant to celebrate some event (oh you want to feel the vibe? no problem come get sum gems and thow them at dat store dawg, we give you warranty too), there's no point to the events anymore, besides I'd actually want a decently executed game with no intrusive features and a subscription with multiple monthly events and contests than terrible events for the sake of having events and to shove promotional "accessories" ("accessories" because if you actually take a real look at that store, you'll see how much it changed since launch and what new items it offers, hinting at some seriously gamebreaking "features" of Nexon's games) through the growing influence and content of the in game store, that truly is horrific.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wis3boi

You'd make a nice politician, typing out multiple paragraphs of conspiracies without actually saying anything

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ionusX

You'd make a nice politician, typing out multiple paragraphs of conspiracies without actually saying anything

wis3boi

jesse-ventura.jpg

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DanielDust

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

ionusX

jesse-ventura.jpg

Now that is an awesome guy ;), he needs to get more roles.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Of course it will.

WoW's mechanics are kinda outdated, and I am sure devs now are smart to realize that cloning WoW is not hte way to go, especially after the TORtanic. Not to mention, I greatly preferred EverQuest 2 when level 70 was the level cap over WoW. So much more to do compared to the gear treadmill WoW was and still is, and the game was a lot more immersive as well.

Edit: lol at calling this site "Blizzhatespot.com". Blizzard is being criticized and bashed almost everywhere nowdays. Kinda happens when you release "quality" games like Diablo 3, Wrath of the Lich King and Cataclysm.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

My question is where there be ever a challenging mmorpg like EVERQUEST LIVE again..Where you fealt like you where ina real world..Btw for you kids out there wow was created from everquest..Those of you who think wow is the greatest mmorpg since slice bread it wasnt..Everquest to this day has more expasnsions an is still going strontg..Had depth an you needed think to actually play it..Everquest will be and always will be the best mmorpg out there..Case closed move along nothing else to see in this thread, have a nice day :

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wis3boi

My question is where there be ever a challenging mmorpg like EVERQUEST LIVE again..Where you fealt like you where ina real world..Btw for you kids out there wow was created from everquest..Those of you who think wow is the greatest mmorpg since slice bread it wasnt..Everquest to this day has more expasnsions an is still going strontg..Had depth an you needed think to actually play it..Everquest will be and always will be the best mmorpg out there..Case closed move along nothing else to see in this thread, have a nice day :

Gladestone1

challenging or just plain grindy?

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ionusX

[QUOTE="Gladestone1"]

wis3boi

gladestone's post @ 0:12

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

Some awesome life you lead, 7k hours in the same game, and crying over a gem store in gw2 that sells nothing but cosmetics that can all be had for free with ingame currency and where the devs are releasing massive content updates and events every month. Oh the horror.

Wow fanboys are like XBOX fanboys. No point arguing with them they always have some daft argument to justify the money spent on subscription fees.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gladestone1

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="Gladestone1"]

ionusX

gladestone's post @ 0:12

Challenging what was fun about everquest u got to hang out with your guild mates it fealt like a mmorpg..Now a days they have watered down mmorpgs like star wars where u dont need a group to lvl that to me is boring..If i want a single player game ill play one..I play mmorpgs for my groups an to hang out with my guild mates..To me these new cookie cutter mmorpgs are boring and a waste of time

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

Everyone had his 'glory days' with a specific MMO or MMO server. It wasn;t the MMO guys. It was the people you were playing with/against at the time that made the game seem so awsome then.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 -wildflower-

Everquest will be and always will be the best mmorpg out there..Case closed move along nothing else to see in this thread, have a nice day :

Gladestone1

I don't know about that.

I played EQ up until I got into the Asheron's Call beta and then I never looked back. I'm not saying EQ was a bad game. I had some great times playing it, and the enchanter is still one of my favorite MMORPG classes ever, I just preferred AC's open world and skill-based leveling system more.

With that said, I'd take either game (SWG, CoH, DAoC, AC2, and LotRO, too) over WoW.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gladestone1

[QUOTE="Gladestone1"] Everquest will be and always will be the best mmorpg out there..Case closed move along nothing else to see in this thread, have a nice day :

-wildflower-

I don't know about that.

I played EQ up until I got into the Asheron's Call beta and then I never looked back. I'm not saying EQ was a bad game. I had some great times playing it, and the enchanter is still one of my favorite MMORPG classes ever, I just preferred AC's open world and skill-based leveling system more.

With that said, I'd take either game (SWG, CoH, DAoC, AC2, and LotRO, too) over WoW.

Daoc was a fun game also along with city of heroes..Its a shame they never daoc 2 i meant sorry..Ac2 i hears was terrible..

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Project Phoenix could very well end up being something of a spiritual successor to City of Heroes. It is made by fans of CoH.

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"] I spent over 7K hours on WoW in total, there is nothing to justify and I spent around 450 euro on WoT in the last 11 months and 1500+ hours, also nothing to justify, I actually promote subscriptions every online game needs to do it and lay off the friggin intrusive in game stores that break all immersion.pelvist

Wow fanboys are like XBOX fanboys. No point arguing with them they always have some daft argument to justify the money spent on subscription fees.

Debating with DanielDust is like trying to play chess with a pigeon; it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory.

That is of course, assuming DanielDust even has a flock to return to :lol:

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ionusX

Project Phoenix could very well end up being something of a spiritual successor to City of Heroes. It is made by fans of CoH.

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Maroxad

Debating with DanielDust is like trying to play chess with a pigeon; it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory.

That is of course, assuming DanielDust even has a flock to return to :lol:

yeah valentine has to have someone to talk to

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 -wildflower-

Maroxad

What a wonderfully descriptive analogy - being accurate is just the icing on the cake.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

For WoW it wasn't hard being the best when

- it was made by blizzard, people would buy it in droves on name alone

- the MMO market was new and niche, and WoW took it by storm

wis3boi

And it would still be a niche if blizzard had not changed it. And there had been MMOs before WoW (EQ, DAOC, Asherons Call, Anarchy Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Shadowbane) including Everquest 2 which launched the same month and before WoW as I remember it.

Did any of those change the MMO world? Nope....

People are funny...people will talk crap on WoW and make excuses of why it's done so well. The fact is it's done well because Blizzard did it better. I'm done with WoW myself and dont plan on ever going back to it but it was an amazing game.

Again that's not to say that everyone is going to like it but it's still a quality game. It's like Apple....I do not like Apple in any way but I can't say that their products suck. They make good quality stuff...it's just not for me. :)

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#41 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

Maybe Titan

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#42 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

[QUOTE="nooblet69"]

lawlessx

They keep talking about it like that because that's exactly what it is. So far, Guild Wars 2 is the only one that's come within striking distance of WoW's throne and look how long it took to be able to do that. Most likely, the only game that will defeat WoW is the next MMO made by Blizzard which seems to be Titan right now.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ionusX

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]

[QUOTE="nooblet69"]

Starshine_M2A2

They keep talking about it like that because that's exactly what it is. So far, Guild Wars 2 is the only one that's come within striking distance of WoW's throne and look how long it took to be able to do that. Most likely, the only game that will defeat WoW is the next MMO made by Blizzard which seems to be Titan right now.

if it has a launch of epic failing proportions that d3 had im not going to count that as a possibility.

i say that father time will be the one that kills it. nobodies going to even touch it in 15 years

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Starshine_M2A2

[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"][QUOTE="lawlessx"]

ionusX

if it has a launch of epic failing proportions that d3 had im not going to count that as a possibility.

i say that father time will be the one that kills it. nobodies going to even touch it in 15 years

I've never regarded D3 as a failure in any way. And 15 years is a long way off, I'm sure Titan will be out long before then...
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ionusX

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"] They keep talking about it like that because that's exactly what it is. So far, Guild Wars 2 is the only one that's come within striking distance of WoW's throne and look how long it took to be able to do that. Most likely, the only game that will defeat WoW is the next MMO made by Blizzard which seems to be Titan right now.Starshine_M2A2

I've never regarded D3 as a failure in any way. And 15 years is a long way off, I'm sure Titan will be out long before then...

d3's launch was plagued with game crashes, imbalances, broken game sections, and even game ending errors. diablo 3 has to be the worst game launched by blizzard entertainment in a long time.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Starshine_M2A2

[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"][QUOTE="ionusX"] if it has a launch of epic failing proportions that d3 had im not going to count that as a possibility.

ionusX

d3's launch was plagued with game crashes, imbalances, broken game sections, and even game ending errors. diablo 3 has to be the worst game launched by blizzard entertainment in a long time.

Many games have those sorts of problems on release. You have to remember that not everyone had these problems and they're not indicative of the game's overall quality.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ionusX

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"] I've never regarded D3 as a failure in any way. And 15 years is a long way off, I'm sure Titan will be out long before then...Starshine_M2A2

Many games have those sorts of problems on release. You have to remember that not everyone had these problems and they're not indicative of the game's overall quality.

no they arent but as a famous man once said. you only get one chance to make a good 1st impression. and that was by far the worst 1st impression ive gotten from a game in 3 years