Will my PC be able to run skyrim well?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

annnkkko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 annnkkko
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Unfortunately I'm not totally computer savvy, so I thought i'd come here for help. I think my PC should meet most of the requirements but I'd rather make sure before spending the money. Here are the details:

- Windows 8.1 64 bit

- System model is HP Envy m6 Notebook

- AMD FX-7500 Radeon R7, 10 Computer Cored 4C+6G ~2.1 GHz

- 6144mb RAM

- about 620 GB free space

- display is 1366 x 768

Not sure if any other specifications are needed. Any help is appreciated

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

It depends which mobile R7 graphics you have. Some will play it on medium at over 30fps, some won't.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

its a 7670M, it wont run Skyrim well at any settings.

Rob27shred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rob27shred
Member since 2012 • 73 Posts

While that mobile GPU is no powerhouse it should run Skyrim on low/med settings. I found this site that benchmarked your GPU & according to it you should be able to run it.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7670M.69483.0.html

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Rob27shred: I didn't expect that, it can just about run it at over 30fps at 720p and low setting.

Or medium setting 720p and about 30fps but dips to 20fps.

spitfireXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By spitfireXII

Im currently sitting on an HP envy touchsmart with the same specs, It runs Skyrim on maxed out settings.

Another thing to consider is the CPU/GPU combined together only generate 19 watts of heat, hours of gameplay and it feels cool on all sides allowing the chip to stay at 100% compared to Intel+Nvidia which hog electricity, making ALLOT of fan noise and heat thus lowering their efficiency=speed below 40% of advertised which is considered a bottleneck for the GPU+CPU combo in all laptops.

AMD has made a 360 degree change here with the FX7500

Also, if its the touchsmart that you are looking at, I can tell you right off the bat, get an external mouse for it!, the gigantic touchpad this thing has sometimes makes me want to murder everything around me because its just so sensitive and huge (typing with both hands, left hand is lifted into the air to avoid triggering it)

again, FX7500 is Overkill for Skyrim, completely blow my hair back, the thing steamrolls comparable Intel i7's in the low voltage market, although you do have to consider this is a 19watt APU compared to a 15 watt CPU, it makes for a very... strange comparison, I mean how would you compare 10 mixed cores to 4 dedicated CPU cores on the watt for watt table?, are they very different things or how would any one plan those logistics out.

I also wanted to mention albeit, many are comparing the R7 in the FX7500 to a dedicated 7670m, its very false, VERY very false, it might be the same architecture but, its built onto a 19 watt APU chip meaning APU+CPU, let me explain why their so radically different.

When you have a 15-35 watt CPU with a 15-35 watt dedicated graphics MXM built into a laptop, you have 30-70 watts of heat being generated inside of the chasis, when that hardware is run at full force, lets say 50 watts, the real life results of that system with the exact same specs as a 19 watt system will mean in 15 minutes the 19 watt system will still be running at 100% with a 40-50c heat signature while the 50 watt system will sound like a jet engine throttling itself by atleast 40% to keep the heat below 80c, that my friends is why the FX7500 simply rips skyrim ingame FPS a brand new hole we have never seen before.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@spitfirexii said:

Im currently sitting on an HP envy touchsmart with the same specs, It runs Skyrim on maxed out settings.

Another thing to consider is the CPU/GPU combined together only generate 19 watts of heat, hours of gameplay and it feels cool on all sides allowing the chip to stay at 100% compared to Intel+Nvidia which hog electricity, making ALLOT of fan noise and heat thus lowering their efficiency=speed below 40% of advertised which is considered a bottleneck for the GPU+CPU combo in all laptops.

AMD has made a 360 degree change here with the FX7500

Also, if its the touchsmart that you are looking at, I can tell you right off the bat, get an external mouse for it!, the gigantic touchpad this thing has sometimes makes me want to murder everything around me because its just so sensitive and huge (typing with both hands, left hand is lifted into the air to avoid triggering it)

again, FX7500 is Overkill for Skyrim, completely blow my hair back, the thing steamrolls comparable Intel i7's in the low voltage market, although you do have to consider this is a 19watt APU compared to a 15 watt CPU, it makes for a very... strange comparison, I mean how would you compare 10 mixed cores to 4 dedicated CPU cores on the watt for watt table?, are they very different things or how would any one plan those logistics out.

I also wanted to mention albeit, many are comparing the R7 in the FX7500 to a dedicated 7670m, its very false, VERY very false, it might be the same architecture but, its built onto a 19 watt APU chip meaning APU+CPU, let me explain why their so radically different.

When you have a 15-35 watt CPU with a 15-35 watt dedicated graphics MXM built into a laptop, you have 30-70 watts of heat being generated inside of the chasis, when that hardware is run at full force, lets say 50 watts, the real life results of that system with the exact same specs as a 19 watt system will mean in 15 minutes the 19 watt system will still be running at 100% with a 40-50c heat signature while the 50 watt system will sound like a jet engine throttling itself by atleast 40% to keep the heat below 80c, that my friends is why the FX7500 simply rips skyrim ingame FPS a brand new hole we have never seen before.

Ummm that is weird.

My i5 3230m CPU with a Nvidia 650m 2GB don't throttle at all even when going up 80c.

It's only when temps go above 100C (Mine only gets up to 85C on the CPU) that the CPU will throttle down.

Although I will give you the thing about loud fans which mine is definitely loud but I don't hear it with my headphones on.

spitfireXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 spitfireXII

@RyviusARC: Thats odd, your CPU should run allot cooler and 100c MOTHER tapdancing....

Nvidia 650m is a mobile chip... thats a laptop, 85c is something to worry about but 100c is something that will outright kill soldered components on a motherboard.

When I get a new laptop, I go into the bios and set my emergency shutoff temps to 82c.

you need to get a can of compressed air and advise with internet people on how to clean your laptop vent (no need to take it apart), (no guarantee il be online) but I can tell you: NEVER flip the can upside down to spray, if you do then instead of air it sprays frozen compressed air.

gonna be honest with you, the thing should be running around 40-45c surfing the web and no more then 70 at full blast.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RyviusARC

@spitfirexii said:

@RyviusARC: Thats odd, your CPU should run allot cooler and 100c MOTHER tapdancing....

Nvidia 650m is a mobile chip... thats a laptop, 85c is something to worry about but 100c is something that will outright kill soldered components on a motherboard.

When I get a new laptop, I go into the bios and set my emergency shutoff temps to 82c.

you need to get a can of compressed air and advise with internet people on how to clean your laptop vent (no need to take it apart), (no guarantee il be online) but I can tell you: NEVER flip the can upside down to spray, if you do then instead of air it sprays frozen compressed air.

gonna be honest with you, the thing should be running around 40-45c surfing the web and no more then 70 at full blast.

Well it's hard to get accurate readings.

Usually when surfing the web it's anywhere from 35C to 42C.

When playing less CPU demanding games it peaks around 65C and only goes up to 80C only in the most demanding games.

Was just playing Devil May Cry (newest one) for a few hours and highest temp recorded on CPU was 72C.

It's normal for small laptops to get that hot during intense gaming and you will see plenty of reviews echo what I posted.

The CPUs in laptops can handle 80c no problem but do have a setting to throttle once reaching 100C which is when the hardware can become damaged.

The GPU never reaches 80c though.

I've already used some compressed air which lowered the temps by quite a bit as they were originally hitting 90c during demanding games.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

From the info I can get at notebookcheck, its CPU and GPU should be able to run Skyrim at 1366x768 in low settings for around 45FPS and medium for around 30FPS.

This might surprise a few people but skyrim can run on a much older hardware.

My cousin's old HP laptop had a Core2 Duo inside at 2Ghz, 4GB RAM and M8600GT and it could run skyrim at 720p low settings with 30FPS.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@RyviusARC said:

Although I will give you the thing about loud fans which mine is definitely loud but I don't hear it with my headphones on.

I don't even have a loud fan problem with my ASUS RoG G46VW. It's whisper quiet. CPU temps max out around mid-60's C. I even play FC3 for a few hours in the campus library without anyone noticing. No other game raises the temperature of a CPU and GPU like FC3 and FC4.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RyviusARC

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@RyviusARC said:

I don't even have a loud fan problem with my ASUS RoG G46VW. It's whisper quiet. CPU temps max out around mid-60's C. I even play FC3 for a few hours in the campus library without anyone noticing. No other game raises the temperature of a CPU and GPU like FC3 and FC4.

My friend has the same laptop design but with a 970m.

My laptop isn't great at cooling components but I never purchased it for gaming specifically.

It was only 315USD so I couldn't pass up on the deal when it had an i5 3230m and Nvidia 650m in it.

I need to replace my older laptop which was almost a decade old and couldn't even handle stream YouTube videos in 720p.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Coseniath said:

From the info I can get at notebookcheck, its CPU and GPU should be able to run Skyrim at 1366x768 in low settings for around 45FPS and medium for around 30FPS.

This might surprise a few people but skyrim can run on a much older hardware.

My cousin's old HP laptop had a Core2 Duo inside at 2Ghz, 4GB RAM and M8600GT and it could run skyrim at 720p low settings with 30FPS.

Yeah, I have an aging PC that has no problem running it at 1080p Ultra - it's not that demanding a title in the grand scheme of things