Will my CPU and power supply bottleneck an AMD Radeon HD 7870?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TheFatPerson (1802 posts) -

Title speaks for itself, really. I'm planning on upgrading my RAM and video card and just need to know if I have to make any other changes. Thanks.

#2 Posted by xxchadxxchad (178 posts) -

Title speaks for itself, really. I'm planning on upgrading my RAM and video card and just need to know if I have to make any other changes. Thanks.

TheFatPerson

I would say see if you can squeeze a slight OC out of the phenom, they overclock surprisingly well. But you should be fine either way.

#3 Posted by TheFatPerson (1802 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheFatPerson"]

xxchadxxchad

I would say see if you can squeeze a slight OC out of the phenom, they overclock surprisingly well. But you should be fine either way.

Yeah, I had thought about doing that. What's the software that people use for CPU overclocking again?

#4 Posted by 04dcarraher (19265 posts) -

[QUOTE="xxchadxxchad"]

[QUOTE="TheFatPerson"]

TheFatPerson

Yeah, I had thought about doing that. What's the software that people use for CPU overclocking again?

Just go into the motherboard bios and change cpu multiplier until you need to adjust the voltage. Also your cpu wont hold back a 7870 even at its stock clocks

#5 Posted by jakes456 (1437 posts) -

will a power supply bottleneck a gpu. did I seriously just enter this topic after reading that.

stop using the word bottleneck.

#6 Posted by Horgen (110056 posts) -

will a power supply bottleneck a gpu. did I seriously just enter this topic after reading that.

stop using the word bottleneck.

jakes456
Well it is a way of saying that the power supply won't be sufficient for the card.
#7 Posted by godzillavskong (7891 posts) -
No. I think you'll be fine.
#8 Posted by godzillavskong (7891 posts) -

TheFatPerson
What's wrong with the gtx460? My son has the exact same one, but it's the 256bit version, and it does very well. He's gaming on a 1600x900 monitor however.
#10 Posted by kraken2109 (13007 posts) -

What would be a good CPU and PSU to get with my 580 GTX Zotac?babynancy543
Make your own thread