Will it reduce the lifespan of an ssd if i record videos?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Gogoplexiorayo2 (113 posts) -

I want to record some videos with the pc im getting in a couple of hours. Problem is the pc has a 1 tb ssd and no hdd. I have heard that recording videos on a ssd will reduce the lifespan. is that true?

#2 Posted by kraken2109 (12948 posts) -

SSDs have a limited number or writes, so yes.

Since SSDs are generally small, I would really recommend another hard drive if you're working with videos.

#3 Posted by Gogoplexiorayo2 (113 posts) -

well then. i guess i just wont record videos then. The whole point of getting the 1tb ssd was because i completely wanted to ditch the harddrive. I will survive just fine without one.

#4 Posted by KalDurenik (3768 posts) -

Anytime you write to the ssd it will do some tearing on it its unavoidable. Best thing is to get another harddrive to record on.

#5 Edited by PredatorRules (7051 posts) -

SSDs have a limited number or writes, so yes.

Since SSDs are generally small, I would really recommend another hard drive if you're working with videos.

Exactly, a 1Tb-4Tb HDD would be a smarter choice

#6 Posted by FelipeInside (25031 posts) -

well then. i guess i just wont record videos then. The whole point of getting the 1tb ssd was because i completely wanted to ditch the harddrive. I will survive just fine without one.

Well, let me put another perspective on it.

No one really knows HOW MUCH the lifespan of an SSD gets affected since it's a new technology, and no one here would have recorded video on a 1TB SSD to judge that.

It may last years and by the time it starts failing, SSDs will be cheaper so you could just buy another.

Recommended like everyone else says is to get a fast 64MB Cache 7200rpm or 10,000rpm HDD, since it's better value for money, but up to you.

#7 Edited by nicecall (428 posts) -

good question because i've wondered this also. I've never seen any tests done on this.

I've thought about replacing a 150gb hard drive i use for my pvr on my satellite with an ssd of the same size, but always hesitated because it would probably degrade it fairly fast since it does 24/7 recording on it whenever my satellite is turned on.

I'm pretty sure though professional blu-ray authoring companies probably use large ssds in raid 0 for maximum speed when dealing with 4k videos. I cant see them using slow hard drives when you could have more speed using ssds.

For my video capturing i use four 1 tb 5400 rpm drives in raid-0. they are fast enough to capture 720p uncompressed so thats all i need.

my final thought on this is not to worry about capturing videos on ur ssd. It likely has TRIM on it and will not degrade the ssd any time soon unless your writing to it non stop.

If ssd's were affordable enough to buy large capacity ones, i'd likely do all my video capturing on them despite the chance of lowering their write speeds on them over time.

#8 Edited by osan0 (12536 posts) -

SSDs remain a bit of an unknown in terms of lifespan.

the answer is yes, in the same way that recording videos to a standard hard drive would shorten its life compared to just leaving it sit there. but how long is its life and how much will it be shortened?

i have a crucial M500 960GB and crucial rate it at lasting for 5 years if i wrote 40GB to it every day for those 5 years. it could be better or worse...hard to say. chances are thats what crucial tested it up to before calling it quits.

at the moment i am giving my SSD an awful time. i am doing alot of installation testing for work which involves copying over VMs and deleteing them (and testing something before deleting it of course :P). i must have written around 120GB to the SSD today. how much has it actually taken out of my drive though? no idea.

most days i barely write anything to it though. the other big thing, in terms of writes, besides this testing would be installing games but i dont install games often.

at the end of the day you bought an SSD to serve as your storage medium. like a HDD, one day it will fail. this is a certainty. but until then you may as well use it to do what you want to do. otherwise what is the point in having it?

just remember a few things when using an SSD (i am sure you already know).

1) disable hybrid sleep. normal sleep is fine but hybrid sleep is a pointless waste of writes for an SSD.

2) never defrag an SSD. defragging in general is a waste of time but on an SSD its a waste of time and writes.

3) make sure windows is configured to run trim on the drive from time to time (daily would probably be overkill though).

4) dont completely fill up your SSD (dont fill up your HDD either). leave around 10% available for the OS and controller to use as they see fit.

however writing to your SSD to do things you want to do (like record videos) is not a waste. thats what the SSD is there to do at the end of the day: serve your storage needs.