will it be ok playing dead space without a controller

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22139 posts) -

just bought the game but i dont have a controller. will i be ok? and whats this about turning on v sync?

#2 Posted by FelipeInside (25664 posts) -
Of course. I played all of part 1 and 2 with a KB/MS. For part 1, turn the mouse sensitivity to MAX, and turn off V Sync. That's how I got the best results.
#3 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

yeah, it actually works very well with the mouse and keyboard. I figured it would be a game that would feel better with a controller, but after playing with both, I ended up sticking with the mouse and keyboard. Also, the v-sync is terrible, and broken (unless they've fixed it). Don't use it. In my experience with Dead Space 1, having v-sync on would cap the framerate at 30 (even in places where it would break 60 with vsync off), and also added a very noticeable input delay. Made aiming to chop off limbs damn near impossible. Game played and felt better immediately, by turning off vsync.

#4 Posted by nutcrackr (12637 posts) -
beware a good portion of players didn't like the mouse controls. For me they were fine and the sequel they were better.
#5 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -
Forcing vsync through Nvidia Panel worked for Dead Space 1. Using the in-game vsync was the one that caused input lag and 30fps cap. As for Dead Space 2, it was an excellent PC port.
#6 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22139 posts) -

Forcing vsync through Nvidia Panel worked for Dead Space 1. Using the in-game vsync was the one that caused input lag and 30fps cap. As for Dead Space 2, it was an excellent PC port. Elann2008
undder the nvidia control panel, do i click on or adaptive for forcing the v sync?

#7 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

I prefer dead space without for some reason. All other third person games I love my gamepad for but dead space is different strangely

#8 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25554 posts) -

Yes, I find it better.

Though you may find the mouse movements to be "floaty" at times.

#9 Posted by pelvist (4861 posts) -

I think theres a mod for ds1 that fixes any mouse aim issues and makes miouse aim better. I may be thinking of another game though.

#10 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4808 posts) -

Totally. I played them both with K/B and mouse. Even the 1st one is better with them. Many say that the controls of the first DS are sloppy, but for me they were more realistic and challenging. Aiming was a bit slow like it should be in a horror survival game.

This is it, the 1st, with slower mouse aming, feels more survival game, and the 2nd, with quick and fluid mouse and k/b contol, feels more action oriented.

Both are excellent titles.

DS1 = DS2

They both are unique and interesting in its way.

#11 Posted by bonafidetk (3820 posts) -

There is a problem with DS1. The in-game v-sync caps it to 30 FPS which gives horrible input lag. The uncapped FPS is janky as hell. The way I fixed this was V-syncing it with the nvidea control panel to 60 FPS. Smooth as butter from there on in.

#12 Posted by Kjranu (1029 posts) -
I love mouse/kb and I would not choose a controller over a mouse/kb to play Dead Space. I've beaten both games with a mouse/kb with absolutely no problems. It just feels much more comfortable and less limited and makes you feel like you are in control rather than with a controller where it feels precarious at times.
#13 Posted by EliteM0nk3y (3382 posts) -

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]Forcing vsync through Nvidia Panel worked for Dead Space 1. Using the in-game vsync was the one that caused input lag and 30fps cap. As for Dead Space 2, it was an excellent PC port. TheShadowLord07

undder the nvidia control panel, do i click on or adaptive for forcing the v sync?

Just click "On". In my experience Adaptive does nothing.
#14 Posted by ShadowHawk676 (89 posts) -

You will be fine, I played the entire first game with KB&M and I enjoyed it but it was a bit slow when turning. You do get used to it though. The second game I feel plays better with KB&M although I've still not finished that one.