Will Heart of the Swarm still include point and click elements?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4074 posts) -

It's one of the best parts of Wings of Liberty and unique to an RTS. But so far it's hard to tell from the screenshots and footage if it still has the same kind of set up in between missions.

Anyone know?

#2 Posted by mhofever (3952 posts) -

At first I was like, dafuq? It's an RTS of course it has point and click.

But I know what you mean now. In WoL you were able to go to the bar and play mini games, the armory to check out what upgrades you can have. I'm sure it will follow the same protocol for HotS and the protoss campaign.

#3 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4074 posts) -
At first I was like, dafuq? It's an RTS of course it has point and clickmhofever
That's the name of the genre. You point and click on stuff in the environment. What did you want me to call it?
#4 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
You will have an interface for your mothership or w/e the place Kerri commands her forces from.
#5 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
It is the same so expect the same gameplay (but with new strategies). An expansion is literally the same game sans with new units, maps, a new campaign and sometimes new elements like the replay features Blizzard is going to put on HoTS. Oh, and a different ladder too.
#6 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

Seems you're talking about the Campaign interface between missions, where you got to go around the ship. Pretty sure the others will have the same thing, just in a Zerg base of some kind, and a Protoss one.

#7 Posted by FelipeInside (25294 posts) -
TOPIC HACK (sorry): * Do you need the original to play this or is it standalone install? * I totally suck at RTS (had to put it on EASY on SC2 to even finish the campaign). I've always wanted to try to play online but scared. I only really know how to barely use the Marines (Human Race), but I've heard this expansion will make it easier to get into online???
#8 Posted by ForsakenWicked (3730 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]TOPIC HACK (sorry): * Do you need the original to play this or is it standalone install? * I totally suck at RTS (had to put it on EASY on SC2 to even finish the campaign). I've always wanted to try to play online but scared. I only really know how to barely use the Marines (Human Race), but I've heard this expansion will make it easier to get into online???

1. Yes, you will need WoL to play the game since this is an expansion. 2. I haven't read anything related to this being more accessible than previous entries as far as online play is concerned. I'm not too good playing this game either. Still, I play some 1v1 sometimes. Try playing some 2v2, 3v3 or 4v4 with friends to help boost your confidence before going 1v1. The game's ranking system will try to pair you with people of your skill level (once you've played the first 5 matches), so there's really not much to worry about. Hope this clears your doubts.
#9 Posted by James00715 (2484 posts) -

TOPIC HACK (sorry): * Do you need the original to play this or is it standalone install? * I totally suck at RTS (had to put it on EASY on SC2 to even finish the campaign). I've always wanted to try to play online but scared. I only really know how to barely use the Marines (Human Race), but I've heard this expansion will make it easier to get into online???FelipeInside

They've added some features for less hardcore players. There is now an unranked queue. You don't get wins or losses recorded for this mode. Also, they added a level-up system kind of like Call of Duty ranks. Each game you play, you get experience points. Rewards are portraits and decals. Unlike the Wings of Liberty portraits/decals based on ranked play (and other things) most of these rewards in Heart of the Swarm will be from gaining levels. You can even get experience points from custom games. Then much later, they will be adding Blizzard All Stars, a more casual version of Dota with heroes from Blizzard games (Kerrigan, Arthas, Tyrael, etc.).

#10 Posted by mhofever (3952 posts) -

What's funny is that as an expansion and not standalone, the price is equal to a full game.

#11 Posted by Led_poison (10141 posts) -

What's funny is that as an expansion and not standalone, the price is equal to a full game.

mhofever

WoL was 60 bucks when it was new, dafuq are you talking about.

#12 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

TOPIC HACK (sorry): * Do you need the original to play this or is it standalone install? * I totally suck at RTS (had to put it on EASY on SC2 to even finish the campaign). I've always wanted to try to play online but scared. I only really know how to barely use the Marines (Human Race), but I've heard this expansion will make it easier to get into online???FelipeInside

SC2 is actually pretty nice for beginners online. I'm also not very good with RTS games, and never really even got into using hotkeys and control groups until SC2. They have the players divided into several leagues, and you'll get placed into one after 5 assessment matches. You'll do your 5 assessment matches, probably get owned pretty hard in at least a couple of them, then they'll put you in the bronze league, and you'll only get put up against others right about your skill level. Then just play the sh!t out of some 1v1, really learn the maps and, most importantly, memorize your hotkeys and get a good system of control groups worked out. Then it's just a matter of figuring out a good build order, and practicing doing it fast. You'll start to get much better, pretty quickly.

#13 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

[QUOTE="mhofever"]

Led_poison

WoL was 60 bucks when it was new, dafuq are you talking about.

Dafuq indeed.

TOPIC HACK (sorry):

* Do you need the original to play this or is it standalone install?
* I totally suck at RTS (had to put it on EASY on SC2 to even finish the campaign). I've always wanted to try to play online but scared. I only really know how to barely use the Marines (Human Race), but I've heard this expansion will make it easier to get into online???FelipeInside

1, You need WoL.

2. It has pretty much the best matchmaking available on any game, you on't have to worry about enemy skill, unless you have a winning streak and it gives you better and better players to try and promote you to the next league, but you have to use cheesy tactics if you end up in broze, while grinding to bettter leagues (top of silver is where things start to become decent tactics wise) you will face mostly rushes that bad players saw online and thought...hey, why don't I try that.

#14 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]TOPIC HACK (sorry): * Do you need the original to play this or is it standalone install? * I totally suck at RTS (had to put it on EASY on SC2 to even finish the campaign). I've always wanted to try to play online but scared. I only really know how to barely use the Marines (Human Race), but I've heard this expansion will make it easier to get into online???

1. Yes, since HoTS is an expansion to WoL. 2. In some ways yes. Workers will gather minerals when game starts (like SC64). There will be an unranked ladder (your stats won't be recorded yet you will face opponents equal to your skills). And you will get a leveling system akin to CoD. Plus there are new features like watching replays with pals, alter in some ways the replays, etc.