Will Bioware fix DA:I PC Controls anytime soon?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 pl4yer_f0und
Member since 2009 • 990 Posts

Bought this game a couple weeks ago, and just decided to play it and my god the controls are aweful! No auto-attack, no auto-run to loot or combat, tactical view is trash, and the UI is so time consuming to go through. Its damn clear that the controls are just a direct port from the consoles (the huge UI icons, that stupid cursor in tactical view). So is bioware doing anything to fix these garbage console controls, or should I just play it with a controller?

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 genius2365
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts

Bioware has said that they do plan to improve the PC controls and UI further in future updates. We just don't know when it'll release. Probably this month.

See patch plans here

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

You can auto attack by holding down the standard attack button.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@pl4yer_f0und said:

Bought this game a couple weeks ago, and just decided to play it and my god the controls are aweful! No auto-attack, no auto-run to loot or combat, tactical view is trash, and the UI is so time consuming to go through. Its damn clear that the controls are just a direct port from the consoles (the huge UI icons, that stupid cursor in tactical view). So is bioware doing anything to fix these garbage console controls, or should I just play it with a controller?

I played it at a friends place and had not many issues with the controls or UI. They need a bit of tweaking sure but not awful (why didn't they put WALK though?)

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@genius2365 said:

Bioware has said that they do plan to improve the PC controls and UI further in future updates. We just don't know when it'll release. Probably this month.

See patch plans here

Good to hear. That game has probably the worst controls I've ever seen.

ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts

Been playing the game for some days now and I did struggle playing the game at first due to the controls. One of the worst changes, IMO, is how the camera is handled. I liked it way better on Dragon Age Origins.

Still, I managed to get used to the controls now and I'm somewhere around the middle of the campaign.

Good to know they're going to be patching the controls and UI to make it more PC friendly.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#7 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

I dislike the camera restrictions, but don't have any other major issues.

I would expect it would take them a while to tweak the controls so probably February or March. I doubt it will fix more than half of your issues.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

having played loads of MMOs I felt right at home. Hold R for auto attack by the way

pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pl4yer_f0und

Well, the whole point of auto-attack is that there shouldn't have to be any feedback from the user, I know I can hold R to keep attacking, but I shouldn't have to, it doesn't add anything to gameplay, and it doesn't let me micromanage my team as well. Seems like a minor gripe, but this plus all the other step-backs, and the controls are just aweful. I'm usually pretty forgiving when it comes to playing games, I can overlook big faults in gameplay as long as the total package is good, but when they mess up something as basic as controls, it just detracts from the whole experience. And for a team as experienced as Bioware, and having just replayed DA:O and DA:2 where the controls were great, having DA:I step back like this is infuriating. Hopefully that patch comes out soon, but knowing EA and how they treat their PC customers, probably not.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

I'm 80 hours in and it has been fine for me with k and m, i do not agree at least not completely.

Although im with you on the tactical camera its useless

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

You can autoattack. Hold E or the attack button.

I haven't had too many issues with the game.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#13 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I found the PC controls very unwieldy so I went to the dark side and started using a controller. Its immidiately obvious when you start using a controller the game was designed with that control scheme in mind. However the more abilities I unlock per character the less ideal the controller is so I wouldn't be against switching back to the PC version if they fix them.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:

I found the PC controls very unwieldy so I went to the dark side and started using a controller. Its immidiately obvious when you start using a controller the game was designed with that control scheme in mind. However the more abilities I unlock per character the less ideal the controller is so I wouldn't be against switching back to the PC version if they fix them.

Yep, I play a necro mage, and using a controller was bad news bears with all my skills

pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pl4yer_f0und
@with_teeth26 said:

Yea, everything from the controls to the UI remind me that the game was designed for a controller. They blatantly lied about giving special attention to the PC community, the controls and the UI are direct port from the console versions. I don't need a ton of submenus, huge ass icons and letterings on the PC. It shouldn't be that hard to design a decent UI, especially since Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2 had one.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Playing with a controller and I'm loving it. Though I have yet to even attempt a keyboard and mouse session. Been playing most games that aren't online multiplayer with a controller lately just seems everything is now designed around them, so other then RTS and competitive shooters the controller is where it's at.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@pl4yer_f0und said:

Well, the whole point of auto-attack is that there shouldn't have to be any feedback from the user, I know I can hold R to keep attacking, but I shouldn't have to, it doesn't add anything to gameplay, and it doesn't let me micromanage my team as well. Seems like a minor gripe, but this plus all the other step-backs, and the controls are just aweful. I'm usually pretty forgiving when it comes to playing games, I can overlook big faults in gameplay as long as the total package is good, but when they mess up something as basic as controls, it just detracts from the whole experience. And for a team as experienced as Bioware, and having just replayed DA:O and DA:2 where the controls were great, having DA:I step back like this is infuriating. Hopefully that patch comes out soon, but knowing EA and how they treat their PC customers, probably not.

Heaven forbid the game require input from the player to be played.

-Byshop

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

@Byshop said:

Heaven forbid the game require input from the player to be played.

-Byshop

Holding 'R' down barely qualifies as player input or as a quality game-play mechanic. It's tedious and not fun.

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 harry_james_pot  Moderator

The game has so many issues. There's the fact that you can't click on a chest or anything and have your character walk up to it and loot it which is incredibly annoying. The "tactical" camera keeps getting stuck on everything, There's no walk button, And the UI is clearly made for controllers.

@airshocker said:

You can autoattack. Hold E or the attack button.

I haven't had too many issues with the game.

@wis3boi said:

having played loads of MMOs I felt right at home. Hold R for auto attack by the way

I bet you guys are playing a ranged character, no? It's fine in that case because you'll just keep shooting at the enemy no matter what.
When using a melee character however, it's entirely different. Holding R simply just attacks, but if the enemy moves you'll stay there slashing at the air. Which isn't bad on it's own, but you can't move while attacking, AND you have to wait for the swing animation to finish before you can start moving.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside

@harry_james_pot said:

The game has so many issues. There's the fact that you can't click on a chest or anything and have your character walk up to it and loot it which is incredibly annoying.

Well if we're going for realism, then he shouldn't be able to loot stuff from 20 metres away...?

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 harry_james_pot  Moderator
@FelipeInside said:

@harry_james_pot said:

The game has so many issues. There's the fact that you can't click on a chest or anything and have your character walk up to it and loot it which is incredibly annoying.

Well if we're going for realism, then he shouldn't be able to loot stuff from 20 metres away...?

Obviously I don't want to loot stuff from far away.. In Origins and 2 you could navigate by clicking things with the mouse. So if you click a chest in the end of a hallway, your character will run up to it and open it. Same thing with doors, or interacting with characters.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2448 Posts

I think the bad controls are keeping a barrier between me and enjoying the game 100%. I'm using a mouselook script that the kids put up on the internets, but it's not a perfect solution.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Honestly I think it is fine except for the tactical view mode.. Which just sucks period, regardless if your using a mouse or gamepad.. It is overly clunky and literally would make the game twice as long if not longer if you used it in every fight.. I avoided using it the ENTIRE game because it was so bad..

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FelipeInside

@harry_james_pot said:
@FelipeInside said:

@harry_james_pot said:

Obviously I don't want to loot stuff from far away.. In Origins and 2 you could navigate by clicking things with the mouse. So if you click a chest in the end of a hallway, your character will run up to it and open it. Same thing with doors, or interacting with characters.

Ahh I see what you meant now.

Yeah, you should be able to click on something and then the character does the rest.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Who knows. I wish I could believe revamping the controls would actually make it a good game....

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

How's the story? I'm quite wary of buying the game, because the story and setting was probably the worst thing about DAO (except my multi mage cheese, I guess).

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@Chatch09: Weird as it sounds, I hope it's a bit more flashy than DAO's, which felt quite bland and somewhat of an afterthought to the characters and game.

Guess I'll pick it up if a control patch comes around.