szafto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 szafto
Member since 2006 • 1389 Posts

My internet used to be perfect, it sometimes feels perfect and then suddenly it will go into a period of lag spikes, i cant play online games and it sucks. Im on windows 7, is there any option i should look for? It's like a pattern to the lag spikes, every 30 seconds it will rise. Sometimes very high. Please help! ;(

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

How about try it actually wired so as too see if it is even the wifi that is the issue. A dumb question.. Do you have your wifi password protected and all?

szafto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 szafto

Hello, yes. And i have no ability to use wireled i live in a house with a bunch of roomates. For example the ping can start off at 40 in counter-strike and then raise up to 150 and then back down again, and it repeats like that, sometimes it goes to like 500. It's the same when no roomates are home too. I dunno :/

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

How about try it actually wired so as too see if it is even the wifi that is the issue. A dumb question.. Do you have your wifi password protected and all?

Not so dumb if someone is actually getting free wifi and stealing bandwidth.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Run a continuous ping and see if you get some jumps. Like someone stated above make sure your wifi is password protected. I would also try running a msconfig and making sure all programs are disabled except the ones you need.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ribstaylor1

@soolkiki: I thought it dumb because it's the most obvious of issues. Walk into an apartment building and there at least 1 person who's left it unprotected and open for everyone. Though If he lives in a house with roommates that might just be his problem. He might need to get himself a faster connection for all of them too run out of the same place efficiently. Also a major issue with many people in a house downloading and uploading torrents. Most don't stop seeding after download and just let the world leach and bog down their connection. It's even worse when 3-5 people are doing it on the same connection.

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts

Have you thought about using powerline?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@szafto said:

Hello, yes. And i have no ability to use wireled i live in a house with a bunch of roomates. For example the ping can start off at 40 in counter-strike and then raise up to 150 and then back down again, and it repeats like that, sometimes it goes to like 500. It's the same when no roomates are home too. I dunno :/

Wireless depends on many factors.

- How far away is the router?

- How many obstacles are in the path?

- What type of wireless are you using?

- Is the router a good brand?

Like another poster said, it could be the internet so you need to test it with a cable first to make sure your internet is actually stable, then look at different options afterwards. PM if you need help.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Are you by chance in northern california, and using AT&T? If so, it's because AT&T is atrocious. Drop that shit immediately, and go to literally any other ISP.

szafto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By szafto

I downloaded a program called Wlan optimizer which turns off the background scan for other networks and omg!!! It is working, atleast a little bit. I dont want to get my hopes up, ill see if the internet is fine tomorrow! :D

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@szafto said:

I downloaded a program called Wlan optimizer which turns off the background scan for other networks and omg!!! It is working, atleast a little bit. I dont want to get my hopes up, ill see if the internet is fine tomorrow! :D

Good to hear, but note that playing a competitive FPS on a wireless signal will always put you at a disadvantage against other players. For FPS you need pure speed and low ping, and only ethernet can give you that.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ribstaylor1

@szafto: I wouldn't recommend something like that as a fix it's a band-aid and a not so good one at that. You don't even know if it's your wifi that is the issue. Without hooking a computer up to your router to test if it is, you'll just be throwing solutions to problems you don't know exist.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#13  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I'd plug a PC right into the router and do tests just to make sure it is the wireless.

If it is the wireless for sure, try manually picking different channels until you can find one that is fast. A good test would be to use two computers. Have one plugged directly into the router with a network cable. And another using wireless. Then copy a huge file from one pc to another, and see its speed, try different wireless channels and pick the one that has the best speed.

I had to do this on my router because my ISP is fixed wireless internet and my router wireless was interfering with my microwave signal fixed internet receiver... which both use 2.4ghz signal. I eventually found a channel that my fixed wireless internet and router didn't share.

Another thing to try is to buy a wireless usb stick and see if that helps. It could be your wireless on your current pc is failing for some reason.

If you live in a city theres probably thousands of 2.4ghz signals all over the place and you shouldn't be using wireless, crowded signals and huge security risk with that many people that could intercept it.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

@Old_Gooseberry said:

I'd plug a PC right into the router and do tests just to make sure it is the wireless.

If it is the wireless for sure, try manually picking different channels until you can find one that is fast. A good test would be to use two computers. Have one plugged directly into the router with a network cable. And another using wireless. Then copy a huge file from one pc to another, and see its speed, try different wireless channels and pick the one that has the best speed.

I had to do this on my router because my ISP is fixed wireless internet and my router wireless was interfering with my microwave signal fixed internet receiver... which both use 2.4ghz signal. I eventually found a channel that my fixed wireless internet and router didn't share.

Another thing to try is to buy a wireless usb stick and see if that helps. It could be your wireless on your current pc is failing for some reason.

If you live in a city theres probably thousands of 2.4ghz signals all over the place and you shouldn't be using wireless, crowded signals and huge security risk with that many people that could intercept it.

I use an android app called wifi analyser, it shows all the other nearby routers and what channels they're on in a nice graph and recommends what channel to set yours to.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#15  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

@kraken2109: ummm very nice, i'm gonna try that out next time i'm having a wireless conflict. thx