Why won't my PC work?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SwileIsMaName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 SwileIsMaName
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Hello guys and girls,

Recently I purchased parts to a new computer, I quit consol about a year ago and yesterday and today I set up a "nice" new computer. I can turn it on, and my power supply should be more than enough, but I cannot get the monitor to show what is going on with the PC, I have tried hooking it up with the motherboard and the graphics card, and nothing seems to work, I have double checked my CPU and the only thing that I can think of right now is that the CPU is not functioning properly and I need to get a new one. Before I do that, I was wondering if you guys had anything to say that might be the problem or help to get things going again!

Lets use the power of the internet for the better.

Thanks!

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Are any beeps coming from the PC upon boot up.

SwileIsMaName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SwileIsMaName

@Arthas045: No there are not,....

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Make sure that the monitor is set to receive the correct input. There's a button that switches it between HDMI, DP, etc..

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

Hello. What kind of PSU did you buy (brand, type and watt)? (I have a really good reason for this... happened to me too and I laughed hard when I found it...)

Also, The CPU might need both 4pins (aka 4+4) pins on the motherboard.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Is the motherboard perfectly lined up, when it isn't it can short the power supply and not boot up. That happened to me when I was swapping cases

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

So the pc is starting up, you just cant see anything?

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

It does help immensely if you post the specific parts you bought so we can adequately address the problem. Maybe you bought incompatible parts, we have no way of knowing. Maybe the monitor doesn't support digital input. We really need more information on the type of system you are running.

SwileIsMaName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SwileIsMaName

@ferrari2001: Yes, I have an Intel i7-4790k Processor, my motherboard is an Asus 87-Plus, the case is the Corsair 760T White (of course the color shouldn't matter), I'm running 16 GB of Corsair Vengeance, and my video cars is Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti. I have a 750W power supply, and Im using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 fan cooling. That should be it, atm, the PC is not is waiting to get its OS installed.

So yeah, that might help, you guys are saviors :D

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

unplug the discrete gpu and try get an image with the integrated gpu.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

dumb question, but do you have your RAM installed and is it installed correctly. Try taking it out and put the sticks back in...you should feel click when they snap in place.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@thehig1 said:

Is the motherboard perfectly lined up, when it isn't it can short the power supply and not boot up. That happened to me when I was swapping cases

sorry misread your post, so your getting power.

I would try two steps others suggested first

@CrownKingArthur said:

unplug the discrete gpu and try get an image with the integrated gpu.

@Gooeykat said:

dumb question, but do you have your RAM installed and is it installed correctly. Try taking it out and put the sticks back in...you should feel click when they snap in place.

SwileIsMaName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SwileIsMaName

@CrownKingArthur: As always, I get a "No Signal" from my monitor, both through HDMI and VGA, I also want to point out that, when I plug in my keyboard into the motherboard it doesn't light up, but but the motherboard seems to still have every fan going and all that kind of stuff...

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CrownKingArthur

yeah i don't think usb devices get power until after the power on self test. which based on posts 2 and 3 doesn't seem to be happening.

OK. next step i would probably try to isolate. I'd be starting small and building up.

motherboard, cpu, one ram stick only, power supply, keyboard. so no discrete gpu, leave the other 3x rams out, i doubt the aftermarket CPU cooler is the cause so leave that as it is.

if possible plug multiple video outputs into multiple screen to make sure you are catching the output.

if this goes nowhere, my next question is going to be about power supplies, and if you have a spare one you can try. i've solved similar issues with this method, however the above steps are important.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts
@swileismaname said:

@CrownKingArthur: As always, I get a "No Signal" from my monitor, both through HDMI and VGA, I also want to point out that, when I plug in my keyboard into the motherboard it doesn't light up, but but the motherboard seems to still have every fan going and all that kind of stuff...

Start with the basics.

1. Get out your motherboard box and anti-static bag it shipped in. Place the MB on the static bag, on top of the box.
  2. Install your CPU and heatsink
  3. Next install a stick of RAM (ensure you have it in the correct DIMM - consult your motherboard manual).
  4. If you have onboard graphics then do not hook up your GPU - if you do not have onboard, then connect your GPU to the correct PCI-E slot.
  5. Connect your power supply. Ensure you have the proper power plugged - consult your manual - the 24pin and 8pin power sockets

Once you have these 5 steps done, power on the computer - you may need a screw driver to touch across the PWR pins on your motherboard to get it to power on, if the MB doesn't have a power switch/button - and see what happens. If things work, then maybe you need to test each stick of RAM individually to ensure they all work. After that, put your motherboard in the tower to see if you can get it power on.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CrownKingArthur

also please just make sure that the motherboard is receiving all the power it is supposed to. that mobo appears to require the standard mobo connector, and 2x 4 pinners.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

did you try jiggling the cable?

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Coseniath

Two things. What power supply exactly?

My Corsair AX860 had something that I found 1st time in PSUs.

As you can see it has 2 x 24pins outputs. That doesn't mean that you can connect 2 motherboards, but it needs both of the modular cables to be connected on this in order to power the motherboard. (I was like, "WTF? Why it doesn't start?")

Also after you posted the speccs, the most obvious thing that passed through my mind is this:

You have bought a Devil's Canyon CPU. You motherboard CANNOT SUPPORT IT without a BIOS update.

Are you 100% sure that your motherboard is updated for the Devil's Canyon 4790K?

edit: Old_Gooseberry bios 2003 is a beta version. Using beta drivers it causes problems sometimes. Imagine what a beta bios could cause...

As I said before a bios update should be needed but to version 2004, not 2003 beta. Also haswell refresh is supported from 1707 version.

I have too an Asus Z87 mobo (Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero) and I am watching in a weekly basis the bios updates page :)

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Take your motherboard out and lay it on a desk and test again.

If that still doesn't work, try a cmos reset.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#20  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

your bios support that 4790k? that cpu is very new and i was wondering.

According to the Asus CPU support for your motherboard, it says its supported that CPU since bios version2003

So make sure the bios on your motherboard is at least that, i'm not sure where you can find that out if you can't boot... maybe on the motherboard itself or on the box it came in?

My asus motherboard actually lets you flash bios without even booting the pc, as long as it has power. You'd have to follow the instructions in your manual to make sure you do it properly.

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Blutfahne
Member since 2014 • 276 Posts

Unplug power cord from PC, remove CMOS battery, wait 30 seconds then put it back in. There is also a 3 pin switch on the mobo that will do the same thing.

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#22 Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1581 Posts

My computer died 4 months ago, it took me 3+ months to buy a new quad motherboard. It was a bundle and rather costly so it took a while to save up for it. I don't know anything about computers, but my brother told me the bundles are best if you use computers a lot, specially for gaming and other things.

I still had problems so i had to buy a new hard drive, its a 1TB, not a 1.5TB like my original one. My 1.5 wouldn't connect, yet would connect to my mums computer.

My graphics card i think is a 240, the inbuild HDMI slot is playing up, the one in my new motherboard is totally fine, but i would like to update the graphics for my games. Also i've had the Graphics card since 2009.

The power supply i have is 750 Watts, but i think there is something wrong with it, it's making a odd noise that i've never noticed before.It also gets very hot which it never did before.

I got rid of my old computer case, it had 3 inbuilt fans, 2 big, 1 medium, but they stopped working over the years, which may (i think) might be the cause of the power supply being very hot.

The new case i'm going to get is a cooler master haf xm mid tower. I do believe it has a few inbuilt fans inside, it's a lot bigger than my old computer case and the computer case i'm currently borrowing. I also believe it can have 12 fans inside altogether and even has slots to keep the cables to oneside.

I'm not sure what kind of graphics card or power supply i will get at the moment, but for now, i'm just glad my PC is finally up and running again :D

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

@Old_Gooseberry said:

your bios support that 4790k? that cpu is very new and i was wondering.

This could be the problem. I just updated my bios last night for support for those cpu's. I might take the jump in the future and grab one.

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

Try running 1 ram stick at a time. If it's a bad ram stick find out which one it is.

SwileIsMaName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SwileIsMaName

@kitty: For everyone including yourself saying that the bios might be the problem, my next question would be, how to get the bios working if I do not have a "working" cpu... I am sure there is a way, but how?

Also, I have not been able to trouble shoot everything as I am away, but I should be able to soon, I have the thread bookmarked and everyone that has tried to help so far I tip my hat to you good sirs.

I hope I can get gaming on the thing soon!

HailtotheQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By HailtotheQueen
Member since 2014 • 290 Posts

@Mickeyminime said:

My computer died 4 months ago, it took me 3+ months to buy a new quad motherboard. It was a bundle and rather costly so it took a while to save up for it. I don't know anything about computers, but my brother told me the bundles are best if you use computers a lot, specially for gaming and other things.

I still had problems so i had to buy a new hard drive, its a 1TB, not a 1.5TB like my original one. My 1.5 wouldn't connect, yet would connect to my mums computer.

My graphics card i think is a 240, the inbuild HDMI slot is playing up, the one in my new motherboard is totally fine, but i would like to update the graphics for my games. Also i've had the Graphics card since 2009.

The power supply i have is 750 Watts, but i think there is something wrong with it, it's making a odd noise that i've never noticed before.It also gets very hot which it never did before.

I got rid of my old computer case, it had 3 inbuilt fans, 2 big, 1 medium, but they stopped working over the years, which may (i think) might be the cause of the power supply being very hot.

The new case i'm going to get is a cooler master haf xm mid tower. I do believe it has a few inbuilt fans inside, it's a lot bigger than my old computer case and the computer case i'm currently borrowing. I also believe it can have 12 fans inside altogether and even has slots to keep the cables to oneside.

I'm not sure what kind of graphics card or power supply i will get at the moment, but for now, i'm just glad my PC is finally up and running again :D

Did your power supply make a popping sound?

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Coseniath
@swileismaname said:

@kitty: For everyone including yourself saying that the bios might be the problem, my next question would be, how to get the bios working if I do not have a "working" cpu... I am sure there is a way, but how?

Also, I have not been able to trouble shoot everything as I am away, but I should be able to soon, I have the thread bookmarked and everyone that has tried to help so far I tip my hat to you good sirs.

I hope I can get gaming on the thing soon!

As I said it 4 days ago, you want the 2004 bios in your motherboard.

@Coseniath said:
Also after you posted the speccs, the most obvious thing that passed through my mind is this:

You have bought a Devil's Canyon CPU. You motherboard CANNOT SUPPORT IT without a BIOS update.

Well, there are a few things you can do.

I think the most wise one is to go to the store that you bought it and ask them to update it.

They will use a compatible CPU that they have around (for repairing and diagnostic purposes) to update your bios and give it to you back. (10-20mins of work)

They should do it for free in my opinion if you bought the parts from there.

Edit: By the way, your motherboard is the Z87-plus right? Cause there is also a H87-plus and you didn't clarify if its H87 or Z87...

@swileismaname said:

I have an Intel i7-4790k Processor, my motherboard is an Asus 87-Plus