Why no red dead redemption for pc???

• 186 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by NOMAD_78 (489 posts) -

RED DEAD is a rockstar production and rockstar is a pc fan as far as i know then y there is no red dead for pc??

it seems to be a cool game

#2 Posted by dgsag (6760 posts) -
Because Red Dead is a console-focused franchise, unlike GTA, which has roots on the PC and already has a fanbase there. It's possible that there will be a port, but its not likely. I wouldn't fret, the last installment in the franchise was ok, but nothing great.
#3 Posted by solid_mario (3144 posts) -
How are we meant to know? Email Rockstar and ask them.
#4 Posted by Blue78 (24 posts) -

I'm not sure whatdgsagis talking about, but gta had roots in console YEARS before it went to pc. GTA is not a PC game. It is a console game ported to pc about a year after the console versions come out. I don't think red dead revolver ever came out on pc, but it was also released around the same time they first started porting their games to pc in the first place, so I'd say there's a very good chance that Read Dead Redemption is going to be ported to pc eventually. Unfortunately, if it follows the gta franchise, you won't be getting a pc version for another year.

#5 Posted by kozzy1234 (35266 posts) -

I'm not sure whatdgsagis talking about, but gta had roots in console YEARS before it went to pc. GTA is not a PC game. It is a console game ported to pc about a year after the console versions come out. I don't think red dead revolver ever came out on pc, but it was also released around the same time they first started porting their games to pc in the first place, so I'd say there's a very good chance that Read Dead Redemption is going to be ported to pc eventually. Unfortunately, if it follows the gta franchise, you won't be getting a pc version for another year.

Blue78

GTA 1 and 2 where on PC FIRST not consoles

#6 Posted by Timbury (552 posts) -

Blue78
You couldn't be anymore wrong. . . The 1st & 2nd GTA games were released first on PC. GTA was a PC franchise before the move to 3D and GTA3.
#7 Posted by dakan45 (18621 posts) -

RED DEAD is a rockstar production and rockstar is a pc fan p>NOMAD_78

Am sorry what? Rockstar is most definetly not a pc fan. besides its made by another rockstar studio that does not make pc games.

#8 Posted by Ondoval (3103 posts) -

Will arrive later, in order to prevent PC piracy to affect the console versions sells.

#9 Posted by Threesixtyci (4287 posts) -
I'm sure it'll be ported over eventually, just like GUN was.
#10 Posted by charmingcharlie (1244 posts) -

Will arrive later, in order to prevent PC piracy to affect the console versions sells.Ondoval

Yet oddly enough the game is currently being pirated to hell and back on the Xbox 360 :roll:

I personally cannot wait for this game to be released on the consoles, I have no intention of buying it since I am a PC gamer and don't own a console but hopefully once the damn game is out people will stop making these threads every 5 minutes asking if RDR is coming to the PC.

Oh and GTA DID START ON THE PC, then Sony came along and wrote a big fat check to make GTA 3 timed excluisve to the PS2.

#11 Posted by alica11wanted (3 posts) -

this really suck. piracy exist on xbox360 aswell and is the same thing on pc.

#12 Posted by VeryBumpy (1718 posts) -

It'll be out for PC, just be patient. Anyone know if this game uses the same engine as GTA4? I'm hoping the PC version will have FSAA this time.

#13 Posted by PublicNuisance (4582 posts) -

RED DEAD is a rockstar production and rockstar is a pc fan as far as i know then y there is no red dead for pc??

NOMAD_78

Because Rockstar isn't really our friend :) I guess we will get it around 6-12 months from now like Bully and other GTA games. We rarely get a Rockstar game at the same times as consoles.

#14 Posted by Dark_prince123 (1149 posts) -
Guys STOP Making RDR Threads Please, this is the 7th thread in a week. Mod please make a sticky thread about RDR instead of keep asking the same question everyday BTW I hope RDR will stay Console only
#15 Posted by PublicNuisance (4582 posts) -

Guys STOP Making RDR Threads Please, this is the 7th thread in a week. Mod please make a sticky thread about RDR instead of keep asking the same question everyday BTW I hope RDR will stay Console only Dark_prince123

Won't work unless the mods enforce it. Notice the sticky about the "can i run it" threads yet we have 5-10 of those a day.

#16 Posted by TerrorRizzing (4185 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ondoval"]

Will arrive later, in order to prevent PC piracy to affect the console versions sells.charmingcharlie

Yet oddly enough the game is currently being pirated to hell and back on the Xbox 360 :roll:

I personally cannot wait for this game to be released on the consoles, I have no intention of buying it since I am a PC gamer and don't own a console but hopefully once the damn game is out people will stop making these threads every 5 minutes asking if RDR is coming to the PC.

Oh and GTA DID START ON THE PC, then Sony came along and wrote a big fat check to make GTA 3 timed excluisve to the PS2.

take-two are a stupid publisher and actually think a pc version will hurt the console versions sales. Rockstar will publish it themselves if the game turns out good.

anyway, go play the 20 or so great pc games not coming to console!

#17 Posted by alishaikh199 (49 posts) -

You HOPE its consoles only? You PURPOSELY want millions to miss out on this? Go to hell

#18 Posted by Vexx88 (33342 posts) -
Knowing Rockstar it will just come out later anyway.
#19 Posted by mouthforbathory (2114 posts) -

I'm pretty confident a PC version is on the way to come out before year's end like GTA4 did. Yes RDR is using RAGE + Euphoria + Bullit Physics like GTA4, so it's code compatible already. It's just a question of porting and optimizing. As far as I know GTA4 has been quite successful on the PC, and it would be good for Rockstar to appeal to the same base that bought it on PC again. I have a PS3, but I'll gladly wait to get it on my preferred game platform: the PC.

#20 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Id love to see it on PC for the multiplayer - as I game online primarily on my PC. I am holding out for a port, if I didn't have so many other games to go through I'd consider picking it up for console.
#21 Posted by Macutchi (4133 posts) -

the constant threads on the same subject show that theres a definite demand for a pc version, and its only going to increase when the almost inevitable 9.5-10 reviews start to come out. i wonder what ill post in tomorrows rdr to pc thread, im running out of material

#22 Posted by STOCKMAN22 (415 posts) -

the constant threads on the same subject show that theres a definite demand for a pc version, and its only going to increase when the almost inevitable 9.5-10 reviews start to come out. i wonder what ill post in tomorrows rdr to pc thread, im running out of material

Macutchi

That right, the fact that we have so many threads asking for pc version RDR shows that there a huge interest on a pc version of this game. The more people ask for the pc version the more chances we have to get one!! Dont forget that Darksiders is coming now to pc thanks to threads like this, there were also a lot of threads asking about pc version of darksiders, so thq saw there was a huge demand for it that why ther are releasing it on pc now.

#23 Posted by TerrorRizzing (4185 posts) -

[QUOTE="Macutchi"]

STOCKMAN22

That right, the fact that we have so many threads asking for pc version RDR shows that there a huge interest on a pc version of this game. The more people ask for the pc version the more chances we have to get one!! Dont forget that Darksiders is coming now to pc thanks to threads like this, there were also a lot of threads asking about pc version of darksiders, so thq saw there was a huge demand for it that why ther are releasing it on pc now.

I dont know if it was threads on forum boards. They mentioned digital distribution, which is very attractive to publishers in its current state.

#24 Posted by Qixote (10733 posts) -

Because Red Dead is a console-focused franchise, unlike GTA, which has roots on the PC dgsag

GTA has also been a console-focused franchise ever since. .um. . . the first GTA III on PS2. . at least. Roots have nothing to do with being console-focused now. Since then, the PC has always been an afterthought. Since RDR uses the same game engine as GTAIV, there is no reason to doubt that it also will be an afterthought on the pc and eventually ported. I don't believe that RD Revolver used an existing game engine with which there was ever another game ported to the PC. With Redemption, they already ported the RAGE engine to PC, so I think people here have reason to be optimistic.

#25 Posted by cheese1756 (58 posts) -

NOMAD_78

Rockstar doesn't care about PC gamers, hate to break it to you. There will probably be a port in a few months, but for now you are stuck with the console version.

#26 Posted by raichou (60 posts) -

GTA was on PC first. I remember playing GTA 1 and 2 on my friend's laptop. And this was way b4 GTA on PSone.

Btw i am not having high hopes for this game to be ported to PC. Frankly, a lot of developers are under the illusion that PC games = piracy = loss of sales. What they dont see is xbox360 games = increasing piracy = increasing loss of sales. Half my friend's 360 games are pirated. Oh yea and like if u go to foreign Asian countries like China and Thailand -> Massive piracy of PC, xbox360 and PS2 games. If developers r trying to ignore PC gamers than i think the loss would be a lot higher. PC gaming isn;t 'dead'. its just another dodgy tactic used by those console-hugging fanboys in an attempt to prove tat consoles r king...out of pure jealousy of the awesomeness of PC gaming.

So i think no red dead redemption for PC =( like fable 2 and Alan Wake (cancelled for PC for some reason), I am getting really disappointed with some of the once great game developers who have to switched to making games for underpowered, half a decade old, low-res gaming machines with horrible controllers than don't do FPS games justice.... *sigh*

#27 Posted by raichou (60 posts) -

btw from the gameplay trailers, the graphics engine for this game doesn't even look tat good visually.

Looks like the original Call of Juarez with additional shadow and light effects...and tat was how many years ago?

But gameplay seems rock-solid xD... i think. GTA + Far Cry 2?

#28 Posted by bonafidetk (3820 posts) -

btw from the gameplay trailers, the graphics engine for this game doesn't even look tat good visually.

Looks like the original Call of Juarez with additional shadow and light effects...and tat was how many years ago?

But gameplay seems rock-solid xD... i think. GTA + Far Cry 2?

raichou
more like GTA + Call of Juarez (like you said)
#29 Posted by TheGrayEye (2578 posts) -

Because Red Dead is a console-focused franchise, unlike GTA, which has roots on the PC and already has a fanbase there. It's possible that there will be a port, but its not likely. I wouldn't fret, the last installment in the franchise was ok, but nothing great.dgsag

Read Dead Redemption has nothing to with RDRevolver, except that they share almost the same name really. Rockstar has said this themselves.

#30 Posted by mouthforbathory (2114 posts) -

It's not a question of "care" but a question of cost/benefit. It's clearly in Rockstar's favor to release the game for PC, and I said the same thing for GTA4 before it was announced for the PC. However, it's to be noted that console development is their focus since the incentive there is the ability to sell to a huge audience of people with readily capable machines to run the game. There are plenty of computers out their that would be able to run the game, but I've noticed that PC gamers tend to stick with specific genres, and the PC software industry has a large slew of titles. RDR wouldn't get lost in the number of titles there are, but simply not every PC gamer out their with a crazy badass rig is going to buy it. Also PC gamers tend to be alot more forgiving than console gamers. The console world is very quick about eating, digesting, and defecating games, moving the next rather quickly instead of sitting down to savor the game and dabble into mods, etc. for a particular game.

#31 Posted by JDonner (326 posts) -

http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/so-red-dead-redemption-is-comi/1045891

#32 Posted by tutt3r (2865 posts) -

rockstar is a console publisher/dev moreso than pc

#33 Posted by DaRockWilder (5451 posts) -
Give it 6 months to a year and it will be released on PC, trust me ;).
#34 Posted by STOCKMAN22 (415 posts) -

[QUOTE="STOCKMAN22"]

[QUOTE="Macutchi"]

TerrorRizzing

I dont know if it was threads on forum boards. They mentioned digital distribution, which is very attractive to publishers in its current state.

THQ also said that the MAIN reason they release darksiders on pc is because people asked for it see it here

http://www.facebook.com/Darksiders#!/note.php?note_id=376464393567&comments

No one believed that Darksiders will come to pc when it was first announced right? I think RDR has more chances to come to pc.

#35 Posted by Psycold (518 posts) -

haha what the hell some people still don't get it, GTA CAME OUT ON PC FIRST, NO DEBATE NEEDED. The series only became console oriented when GTA3 came out. I for one would LOVE Red Dead Redemption on my PC, but if it's another terrible port like GTAIV was, then I'm not gonna waste my money, fool me once shame on me....

#36 Posted by TerrorRizzing (4185 posts) -

haha what the hell some people still don't get it, GTA CAME OUT ON PC FIRST, NO DEBATE NEEDED. The series only became console oriented when GTA3 came out. I for one would LOVE Red Dead Redemption on my PC, but if it's another terrible port like GTAIV was, then I'm not gonna waste my money, fool me once shame on me....

Psycold
bad port or not, it runs way better than on console... just dont crank the settings so high. It already looks alot better than console at farely low settings.
#37 Posted by cyberclu (35 posts) -

Well, if we look at GTA IV for the PC, that came out in April of 2008, then it was ported to the PC in December of 2008. So if we extrapolate that data, Red Dead Redemption ported to the PC should come out either in December 2010 or January 2011...theoretically. :P

#38 Posted by dakan45 (18621 posts) -
[QUOTE="Psycold"]

TerrorRizzing
bad port or not, it runs way better than on console... just dont crank the settings so high. It already looks alot better than console at farely low settings.

In my ps3 it looks as good as it looks on nearly medium, not medium, nearly medium. Not counting the draw distance and shadow desinty and settings like that. But while it looks better on pc, on the ps3 it looks sharper. For some reason it requires a crazy resolution and aa to look sharp on pc. Why is that? Because i got a 40'' inch hd tv plugged on my ps3 and i use a 22'' on my pc at 1680x1050?
#39 Posted by TerrorRizzing (4185 posts) -
[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"][QUOTE="Psycold"]

dakan45

In my ps3 it looks as good as it looks on nearly medium, not medium, nearly medium. Not counting the draw distance and shadow desinty and settings like that. But while it looks better on pc, on the ps3 it looks sharper. For some reason it requires a crazy resolution and aa to look sharp on pc. Why is that? Because i got a 40'' inch hd tv plugged on my ps3 and i use a 22'' on my pc at 1680x1050?

is definition on?
#40 Posted by dakan45 (18621 posts) -
Yeah, i guess thats it, but still it looks less blurry on my hd screen.
#41 Posted by TerrorRizzing (4185 posts) -
Yeah, i guess thats it, but still it looks less blurry on my hd screen.dakan45
im not sure then. I actually went and rented red dead for my ps3, I can already feel the framerate struggling just riding around on a horse with only one other character on screen. I imagine the game will be playable, but its typical rockstar on console.
#42 Posted by dakan45 (18621 posts) -
[QUOTE="dakan45"]Yeah, i guess thats it, but still it looks less blurry on my hd screen.TerrorRizzing
im not sure then. I actually went and rented red dead for my ps3, I can already feel the framerate struggling just riding around on a horse with only one other character on screen. I imagine the game will be playable, but its typical rockstar on console.

From what i hear the framerate is worse than gta iv on ps3. Does it look sharp or no?
#43 Posted by TerrorRizzing (4185 posts) -
[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"][QUOTE="dakan45"]Yeah, i guess thats it, but still it looks less blurry on my hd screen.dakan45

From what i hear the framerate is worse than gta iv on ps3. Does it look sharp or no?

looks ok
#44 Posted by haberman13 (2414 posts) -

I have a PS3, and yet I'll wait to get this on PC (or just never play it)....

Kind of speaks volumes about consoles lol.

#45 Posted by Macutchi (4133 posts) -

Kind of speaks volumes about me lol.

haberman13

fixed

#46 Posted by gillri (5926 posts) -

haberman13

you mean it speaks volumes about how YOU feel about console, my guess is you dont have a PS3

#47 Posted by Advid-Gamer (4642 posts) -
[QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"]im not sure then. I actually went and rented red dead for my ps3, I can already feel the framerate struggling just riding around on a horse with only one other character on screen. I imagine the game will be playable, but its typical rockstar on console.TerrorRizzing

looks ok

Yea, its not bad, but I am spoiled by my pc games. I would much rather be playing on pc. I would say it looks the as gta4 did maybe alittle better, I hear the 360 version looks better.
#48 Posted by Jordo321 (884 posts) -
If RDR gets ported anything like GTAIV was, they can keep it on consoles..lol
#49 Posted by TerrorRizzing (4185 posts) -

If RDR gets ported anything like GTAIV was, they can keep it on consoles..lolJordo321
play gta iv on a console lol, its torture if you're used to pc gaming. RDR is just barely playable on ps3. Still, there is a great game underneath the low framerate, id like to wait for a pc version but I might just deal with the crap performance.

#50 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -
[QUOTE="haberman13"]

I heard the mp is an auto aim noobfest. Thats enough reason to wait for a possible pc version.

[QUOTE="Jordo321"]If RDR gets ported anything like GTAIV was, they can keep it on consoles..lolTerrorRizzing

play gta iv on a console lol, its torture if you're used to pc gaming. RDR is just barely playable on ps3. Still, there is a great game underneath the low framerate, id like to wait for a pc version but I might just deal with the crap performance.

Yep, even with all the issues on the pc version its still much better that playing on a console due controls, perfomance and the fact that its takes forever to find a mp session without auto aim enabled.